Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
A few days after picking up Odyssey as my first AC title and I have to say, holy poo poo this is so good! :stare:

It's like if you took The Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, Batman Arkham Asylum and Infamous: Second Son, put them all in a blender then seasoned it with a dash of God of War. Very much digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If I finished the game as Kassandra, is it worth doing again as Alexios?

Cause I think I wanna do it again as Alexios. I hosed up the ending the first time and I wanna get it right. Seeing Alexios/Deimos all of a sudden grab Myrrine and run her through was heartbreaking.

Alexios has the better voice acting, but the dialogues are pretty much identical, so you're not really getting any new content.

Tart Kitty posted:

As fun as Odyssey is, nothing in it really matched the tonal experience of wandering across the dunes on a camel, watching a sandstorm approach on the horizon. The atmosphere in Origins is just incredible.

Also: Way better soundtrack in Origins.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lambert posted:

Alexios has the better voice acting

whaaaat

kassandra's voice acting was like my favourite part of the whole game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He most assuredly does not.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jesus christ game, I just wanted to kill this... what is the singular form of phylakes? Phylake? Phylax? Anyway, I saw Ptolemy's Fist on the minimap and decided to go after him, and when I got to his location the game spawned one of those "Assist the rebels" encounters where a couple of useless rebels try to fight a million soldiers (some guys from a nearby outpost, whoever spawned for the encounter, and a couple of random patrols because at least two of those always seem to spawn right next to my location no matter what I might be doing, which doesn't get old in the slightest), so there went my idea to lure Ptolemy's Fist to a quiet spot and gank him.

I didn't even bother attempting to save the rebels' asses, since I didn't want to fight 20 soldiers and a phylax. I figured I could probably take them since I massively overleveled them, but I just didn't want this gigantic clusterfuck in my hands so I waited it out in a nearby field. The soldiers did their thing and returned to their posts and patrols, and Mr. Fist was on his own again so I lured him to the field and stabbed him. Of course that didn't kill him despite the 12-level advantage I had, but I figured it'd be fine because he wouldn't last long and we were far enough from the outpost that the soldiers wouldn't notice anything.

Well, that didn't work out as I'd hoped because as soon as open combat started, every single one of the soldiers from earlier plus probably a few more, including at least eight guys on horseback, made a beeline for my location like in that GTAV gif where Michael kills someone in the desert and is immediately mobbed by 30 police cars and helicopters. Thankfully most of them were half my level so I didn't get wrecked instantly and was able to hide after taking down a few of the soldiers (on a related note, fighting multiple guys on horseback is really annoying), and eventually managed to assassinate Ptolemy's Fist as well. Just another day in the life of Bayek of Siwa, I guess.

Seriously though, those constant patrols are a bane of my existence. Even if they're not actively attacking me, hearing their ":byodood: GET OFF THE ROAD" barks every ten seconds if I'm anywhere in the general vicinity of a road gets pretty old. gently caress you cop, this is a public road and I'm not even in your way! :argh:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fuf posted:

whaaaat

kassandra's voice acting was like my favourite part of the whole game.

It's probably dependent on which one you played and are more familiar with through that. I found Alexios to be vastly better acted. Not that either one is bad, considering the enormous amount of voice lines in Odyssey.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I've been told by friends who loved Origins that the DLC is some of the best stuff in the game and was their favorite part of it but I've never played it

I would say if you really enjoyed Origins you are going to want to check it out
I haven't played Origins yet. Trying to figure out whether I should buy the DLC ahead of time.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lambert posted:

Alexios has the better voice acting

Malaka.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Both actors put in Heraklean efforts because of the sheer amount of dialogue in a game that size but I didn't think either were amazing. I'd give the nod to Kassandra's VA because the Alex guy seemed a little too try-hard gruff.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If you are playing as a hardass, Alexios does kind of work a bit better. Literally anything else though and I thought Kass destroyed him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lambert posted:

Absolutely.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah it's funny how these insanely huge games can have so much content but then you get the same drat music every single time you open the menu. I mean the music is fine but after 50 hours or whatever anything is going to get annoying.

Same with the insane amount of voice acting, but then only a few lines for certain actions (like entering a restricted area) that you hear over and over again. "They'll be on high alert here!!", "Better keep quiet!". Really Kassandra? You're a level 50 fire axe warrior but yeah you "better keep quiet" in case these 3 guards spot you. Would be cool if those lines changed a bit as you levelled up, or even depending on which role you're playing.

Oh a random similar complaint: mercenaries who are still like "so, fancy yourself a young mysthios do you?" Bitch I'm the tier 1 eagle bearer, you should be quaking in your sandals.

(still one of the best games I've ever played don't get me wrong)

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 3, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My favorite is upgrading the Adestria to be the greatest terror the ancient world has ever seen and Barnabas still losing his poo poo over 8 pieces of driftwood floating in the water.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lambert posted:

Alexios has the better voice acting, but the dialogues are pretty much identical, so you're not really getting any new content.

The soundtrack is so heavily cribbed from HBO's Rome

Not a criticism as such as whenever it starts playing im wondering where James Purefoy is

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lid posted:

Not a criticism as such as whenever it starts playing im wondering where James Purefoy is

Wherever he is, he's probably got his dick out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Origins definitely felt more like a labor of love than Odyssey in a lot of ways, the world was more alive and I really miss finding little lore tidbits to read.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Name one bad thing about Bayek: that's right, you can't. He's literally perfect. He even shaved off his ugly-rear end beard. The perfect man.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Trying to decide whether or not to grab Syndicate from the Steam sale. In theory it'd be nice to experience that lovely old Victorian London on PC with shinier graphics, near-instant load times and 60 fps, but I also seem to remember the reason I didn't finish Syndicate on PS4 had nothing to do with technical matters and everything to do with the game feeling like bit of a tedious slog. Maybe that was just series fatigue and I should give it another shot, or maybe I'll bounce off of it completely because I can't play old style AC anymore after Odyssey and Origins. I don't know.

Eh, I suppose it's pretty cheap.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Syndicate's kinda hard to enjoy if you have Series fatigue, yeah, definitely. But it's also a much slower game. Your movement in that one tends to feel like a slog regardless of the grapple hook. There's too much weight on the characters and... it's just hard to describe. You always feel it though when you play these games, especially if you've played the ones that came before and after. Origins and Odyssey, for this reason, are why I think they have the best free running/climbing, because it's straight to the point.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I really enjoyed Syndicate. My only complaint is it seems like they cut a decent amount of content.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Deakul posted:

Origins definitely felt more like a labor of love than Odyssey in a lot of ways, the world was more alive and I really miss finding little lore tidbits to read.

Couldn't agree more.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Name one bad thing about Bayek: that's right, you can't. He's literally perfect. He even shaved off his ugly-rear end beard. The perfect man.

The beard is the best thing on Bayek.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Really excited to see all these people hyping Origins cause I'm *loving* Odyssey. If Origins is even better I've got a lot of hours of extremely inexpensive gaming to look forward to!

For now I'll keep having fun playing Odyssey like it's Batman Arkham Asylum. Sneaking around murdering people by the dozens is super fun, and I've got enough skills now that the rare times I end up in actual combat are much more enjoyable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

finished the family and cult things in odyssey today. my choice for the cult leader was pretty weird and it was like the game didnt even know what it was supposed to do with it lol. game is like if skyrim was good and i like the rpgier direction they took it in although the battles after level 50 seemed to turn into just trying to get enough adrenaline to do overpower moves

still approximately 600 quests on the map jesus. i do like that there were probably 10 times where i’d accept a quest and kassandra would be like ohhh no dont worry about it i already killed that guy. the stuff where you can freelance and find targets on your own is neat. the mercenaries mostly became annoyances i wonder if there is a way to make them a bit nemesisier.

how many big choices are there like does phoibe always die?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

finished the family and cult things in odyssey today. my choice for the cult leader was pretty weird and it was like the game didnt even know what it was supposed to do with it lol. game is like if skyrim was good and i like the rpgier direction they took it in although the battles after level 50 seemed to turn into just trying to get enough adrenaline to do overpower moves

still approximately 600 quests on the map jesus. i do like that there were probably 10 times where i’d accept a quest and kassandra would be like ohhh no dont worry about it i already killed that guy. the stuff where you can freelance and find targets on your own is neat. the mercenaries mostly became annoyances i wonder if there is a way to make them a bit nemesisier.

how many big choices are there like does phoibe always die?

Yes, but everyone in your family can end up either alive or dead depending on your earlier decisions.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ah i killed nikalaos and deimos and was pretty satisfied with that

oh but the meta-storyline in the present was still the best part of the series premise so it stinks that that was basically removed

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

He's not Aya, who you should have been playing as in that game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh but the meta-storyline in the present was still the best part of the series premise so it stinks that that was basically removed

Interesting, the meta storyline has always been the most distracting and annoying part of the series for me. Especially early on when it felt like they were trying really hard to capitalize on the Dan Brown bullshit.

Admittedly I stopped playing after Assassins Creed 2 but it was specifically because I thought the story was so hopelessly bad. I wish more games were content to actually just focus on historical fiction.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hakkesshu posted:

He's not Aya, who you should have been playing as in that game.

Aya's character doesn't really fit in with the whole 'stop to help this random goatherder find his stolen ring' thing that most of the game has going on, which is why Bayek works so well. She also seems like she wouldn't be strung along as much as he is (since she's doing a lot of that stringing herself). It would basically have to be a totally different game, or she would have to be written a lot differently.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The worst thing about playing as Aya is having to use daggers

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The worst thing was thinking I'd curbstomp the last 2 targets in Origins, so did both DLCs, got to 55, and fought one as a lvl 32 Aya.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

Wherever he is, he's probably got his dick out.

Well, he's not, uh...under the standard. :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Aya's character doesn't really fit in with the whole 'stop to help this random goatherder find his stolen ring' thing that most of the game has going on, which is why Bayek works so well. She also seems like she wouldn't be strung along as much as he is (since she's doing a lot of that stringing herself). It would basically have to be a totally different game, or she would have to be written a lot differently.

Yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was kind of my problem with Origins' narrative. There's nothing you're really doing as Bayek to advance the plot -- Aya just swoops in at three predetermined points to actually make the important stuff happen while you're mostly out killing dudes in the desert and doing good deeds for the orphans of Ptolemaic Egypt. That's all well and good but it felt like there was a whole missing act to the story. All this stuff you'd figure would be critical to the formation of the Brotherhood and ancient power struggle between the assassins and templars is just relegated to "while you were away" cutscenes.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I guess it was their way of dealing with the classic open world cognitive dissonance between an urgent main plot and a bunch of relatively trivial side activities.

Fallout 4 was the worst example of this. Oh my young child has been kidnapped? Sure lemme just collect 5 watermelons real quick.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuf posted:

I guess it was their way of dealing with the classic open world cognitive dissonance between an urgent main plot and a bunch of relatively trivial side activities.

Fallout 4 was the worst example of this. Oh my young child has been kidnapped? Sure lemme just collect 5 watermelons real quick.

Which is odd because Origins and Odyssey aren't 'true' open world. Origins forces you on a linear route around the map, Odyssey practically does until Athens and then lets you loose on the world. But there's nothing about the design of Origins that means they couldn't have had a much tighter story. Even the mid-game bit in Alexandria which feels like it's missing crucial connecting moments plays out like an older AC game and a) works well and b) has a couple of the best missions.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think I'm burned out on this game, there's just so much poo poo to do

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah I ended up wandering around so much I lost interest at about 55% of the campaign, probably gonna wait for the last DLC and try to fly through that first half again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finished the main game and decided to wait for all the dlc to come out before I picked it up again. Now I’m here and I can’t muster up the energy to play again. Same thing happened with origins, Ubisoft games just have this quality about them I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Well, at this point, there's still one final release of DLC to come later this month. But even if you don't pay anything, a few additional questlines have been added over the months (not that they're really worth playing).