Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

Oh that's right, there's that endangered minority of people who play games on playstation and PC. What was I thinking, of course switch is the only way to go.

The Switch is currently the cheapest system to develop for and JRPG's are big games with relatively small returns. Like the Vita before it, it's going to be home to all the small/mid-tier studio JRPG's from now on before they get ported anywhere else. If they get ported anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm kinda struggling to imagine what a big budget bokumono would even look like

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Switch is really the perfect platform for JRPGs because random battles are a million times more tolerable when I can just grind through them while laying in bed and listening to a podcast.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

Rune Factory 5 :pray:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there are already more Switches than PS4s in japan and the difference is going to become substantial by next year. PS4 will continue to get games but yeah there'll start to be some devs that don't bother with it, and PS5 is going to be a very tough sell.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of games also sell more on Switch, and sell well. Disgaea 5 went from like maybe low 6 digit sales at best lifetime on the ps4 to 500k in its first year on the switch.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looper posted:

you see that mountain? you can plant there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

Hyper realistic cow physics

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tales of Woe posted:

there are already more Switches than PS4s in japan and the difference is going to become substantial by next year. PS4 will continue to get games but yeah there'll start to be some devs that don't bother with it, and PS5 is going to be a very tough sell.

The fundamental problem is that 1080p art assets are expensive and time-intensive to model. 4K ones even more so. It's why all the niche little PS2/Wii games and studios either just shut up shop, went to phone games, or migrated to the Vita (and now the Switch); Lower specs mean lower standards of expectation. You can't just put a (relatively) cheap-looking retail release next to something like FFXV or The Last of Us and reasonably expect it to sell, but when what's in your reach can look as good as the best of other games on the Vita/Switch it's a pretty slam-dunk choice.

edit: Just because I have too much time on my hands, here's an example;

This is Mario from Super Smash Bros Brawl on the Gamecube. Vertices are all the intersecting points of those lines, faces are the regions between those lines (ie; surfaces).

If we take a look at the Smash Bros WiiU version, suddenly those numbers climb a little. (Granted, this model had a bunch of extra mouths stacked in for expressions, but they'd all still have to be present anyway in active memory). Someone has to build all that from scratch by hand, and that's for just one model among likely hundreds if you're not using prefab assets.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 3, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

Hyper realistic cow physics

Look I want a really lovely fur shader on those round cows and I want it now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

sorry for suggesting that a bokumono game on switch in 2019 should maybe look better than animal parade did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Look I want a really lovely fur shader on those round cows and I want it now

The curvature of the cow will now be determined by nearly a hundred factors including ambient temperature

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

The curvature of the cow will now be determined by nearly a hundred factors including ambient temperature

fuckin' yeah

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

sorry for suggesting that a bokumono game on switch in 2019 should maybe look better than animal parade did

Tell Kojima to do it and then it people will be robbing banks to fund him going loving nuts with it

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

A lot of games also sell more on Switch, and sell well. Disgaea 5 went from like maybe low 6 digit sales at best lifetime on the ps4 to 500k in its first year on the switch.

I'm glad it did well on the switch. I really liked Disgaea 5.
I got the vibe to play a rpg. So I figured i'd play Shining Resonance. The only reason this caught my eye, was because many years ago I played a game called shining tears on the ps2 and I liked that game. They are not in any way related except the shining part in their names as far as I can recall.

So far it's decent. Combat feels like Berseria's but more simplified.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

shining resonance is pretty bad imo. it gets really grindy to keep up with the enemy levels in the second half and it makes you walk through the same areas over and over without fast travel and the harem stuff is lame.

there's a forced section later in the game where you have to beat a bunch of fights with the 2 guy party members and you can just get stuck if you had them benched and underleveled so watch out for that.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Uh-oh.

Ayesha's Alice in Wonderland costume looks really good.

I think she's going to be Ayesha in Wonderland for the rest of the game.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Tales of Woe posted:

shining resonance is pretty bad imo. it gets really grindy to keep up with the enemy levels in the second half and it makes you walk through the same areas over and over without fast travel and the harem stuff is lame.

there's a forced section later in the game where you have to beat a bunch of fights with the 2 guy party members and you can just get stuck if you had them benched and underleveled so watch out for that.

Ah that's a bummer. Well i'm giving it a chance and thank you for the tip!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem is that the best combat option is dragon spamming and there almost no penalty for it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tae posted:

The problem is that the best combat option is dragon spamming and there almost no penalty for it.

also give the ladies some god drat bras, the poor gals' spines must be mangled beyond belief

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Not having fast travel was a huge wtf decision in that game.

Sefal posted:

So far it's decent. Combat feels like Berseria's but more simplified.

And yea the combat is super simple. I don't think you get any new combat mechanics past the tutorial dungeon. The game is just perfectly bland and mediocre at best.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

I can't remember the last non infamous second son game that used the ps4 gyro

Calming a baby in Yakuza 6, as already mentioned

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Langrisser remake coming to west 2020 by nis.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I want a big ol' heaping pile of PS2 ports on the Switch. It's one of the best RPG libraries of all time, and I want for few things more in life than to play Nocturne or Shadow Hearts 2 or Suikoden V on a portable.

Probably never going to happen, who even owns any of that IP anymore, but a boy can dream.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I used the Ps4 gyro a little bit during Gravity Rush/2 but that's pretty much it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Endorph posted:

the nintendo toy is way more convenient than the sony toy, portable mode's pretty good and its got good handfeel. it chugs a little on performance for highend games but not like that matters for jrpgs 90% of the time

the handfeel is actually bad as hell. The PSP Go was the last good console in regards of that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Give me a Shepherd's Crossing 2 DS remake on the Switch

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I want a big ol' heaping pile of PS2 ports on the Switch. It's one of the best RPG libraries of all time, and I want for few things more in life than to play Nocturne or Shadow Hearts 2 or Suikoden V on a portable.

Probably never going to happen, who even owns any of that IP anymore, but a boy can dream.
I wouldn't say a Nocturne Switch port is out of the realm of possibility; Atlus is currently owned by Sega and still making SMT games, the next one in the series is even for Switch. Nocturne even got a Classics re-release on the PS4, IIRC. Aruze (the current owner of Shadow Hearts AFAIK) and Konami would have to get their heads out of their asses and stop making pachislot machines for the latter two to happen, but a port of some of their (theoretically) more popular games would be a good way to "test the waters" before they made a return to video games.

I haven't played any Suikoden past 3, though, so I'm assuming 5 isn't the bad one with the ocean and the excessive random encounter rates.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Commander Keene posted:

I haven't played any Suikoden past 3, though, so I'm assuming 5 isn't the bad one with the ocean and the excessive random encounter rates.

No, that's 4. We don't talk about 4.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

goblin week posted:

the handfeel is actually bad as hell. The PSP Go was the last good console in regards of that

switch feels pretty cramped without a grip accessory, yeah. great when you have one, though

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Commander Keene posted:

5 is the one with the godawful load times and godawful padding that was desperately trying to recapture fans who bailed on the series by going "hey remember this scenario in suikoden 1/suikoden 2? what if we did that again, almost beat for beat?" but still ended up flopping so they decided to just reboot the franchise.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
5 was the 1st Suikoden game I played and I loved it. I liked the world building at the start. It was a great game.
One I hope gets remastered one day on modern consoles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A straight port that gets rid of the load times and maybe a better frame rate is all it needs really.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

5 is the one with the godawful load times and godawful padding that was desperately trying to recapture fans who bailed on the series by going "hey remember this scenario in suikoden 1/suikoden 2? what if we did that again, almost beat for beat?" but still ended up flopping so they decided to just reboot the franchise.

Which is a shame because 5's probably the second best game in the series.

It's just really, really, really goddamn long and has some annoying-as-hell recruitment setups for some characters.

Sefal posted:

5 was the 1st Suikoden game I played and I loved it. I liked the world building at the start. It was a great game.
One I hope gets remastered one day on modern consoles.

A remake needs to add Lazlo Ted doing a brief party-joining cameo and then he can leave for the Scarlet Moon Empire right after the game ends.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i also wouldn't mind cathari's godspeed rune just. being baked in base and maybe let you run at quad speed with her in tow

also just let us play as a princess gdi. you went to all the trouble to make a queendom just so we can play as the one boy (even if freyjadour's a super cute boy)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Aruze (the current owner of Shadow Hearts AFAIK) and Konami would have to get their heads out of their asses and stop making pachislot machines for the latter two to happen, but a port of some of their (theoretically) more popular games would be a good way to "test the waters" before they made a return to video games.

Konami just did something like this in April and May, albeit with older games than PS2 titles. The released the Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, with Haunted Castle, A-JAX, Gradius, Gradius II, Salamander, Thunder Cross, Scramble, and TwinBee. And the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, with the NES games, the GB games, Super Castlevania 4, Bloodlines, and Kid Dracula.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the konami arcade collections suck. it's mostly games that have been easily available on lots of platforms in recent years and none that need an actual wider release, like the m2 remake of twinbee da, or the rebirth games. at least give me like, gradius v

i think the japanese mega drive mini that's coming out is the only one of these "classic games compilation" things i haven't been kind of disappointed in lol. even the pc engine mini seems like a lame-rear end deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

I could be confusing with a similar SRPG series, but is that the one where they made people pay and/or pre-order for the original artwork?