Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Also if you're flying first class the drink service begins when your rear end hits the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

About 1980, my father used to do the north sea oil rig thing where you'd fly from England to the rig and then the prevailing winds meant you went to Norway and come back on via Amsterdam. He'd get pulled up by customs every time because he'd be wearing a denim jacket and a rucksack while a dozen guys wearing polyester suits would go straight through without even taking off their sunglasses and out of the airport with nothing more than a single attache case.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Godholio posted:

You've never heard of Southwest? It's a common thing on cheaper airlines.

Even the absolute budget-tier airlines in Australia have allocated seating. I think it might even be a legal requirement.

McNally posted:

Also if you're flying first class the drink service begins when your rear end hits the seat.

Nahh, it starts when you hit the airport and cruise into the first class lounge. The glass (real glass!) of champagne before takeoff is pretty nice as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I like flying Southwest. I don't give a poo poo about assigned seating, I just like getting things sorted as quickly as possible, and it works for me. That way I'm also less likely to end up giving up my seat because the stupid airline put one kid out of a family a row over. Instead they'll let families with kids go first.

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/ExumAM/status/1146231963419848712

"What the gently caress did you say, Boot?!" but at an Armor private.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I hope one breaks down directly in front of his viewstand.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I like flying Southwest. I don't give a poo poo about assigned seating, I just like getting things sorted as quickly as possible, and it works for me. That way I'm also less likely to end up giving up my seat because the stupid airline put one kid out of a family a row over. Instead they'll let families with kids go first.

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/ExumAM/status/1146231963419848712

"What the gently caress did you say, Boot?!" but at an Armor private.

https://twitter.com/SwandriverKen/status/1146143794217279488

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Godholio posted:

You're guaranteed to have room for your stuff in the overhead if you want, and on some airlines you don't have assigned seating. Plus the obvious "not waiting in line so long."

I dont have a way around Southwest, they would have to adjust the policy but less time waiting for passengers to get to a seat is less time spent on the ground wasting money. The overhead thing doesnt really bother me, I'm either traveling really light or really heavy but I dont have a problem with them checking at the gate.

I chill out in whatever lounge I have access to instead of the "wait in line or wait on plane" thing or take the chance to move around before I get wedged in somewhere.

McNally posted:

That usually means I have 10+ hours in front of me in the same seat and business class starts to get uncomfortable between hours 8-12. Plus, free lounge access.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 3, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I remember when I used to work offshore and in Houston or New Orleans no one looked twice at a hard hat clipped to a backpack and a merchant mariner credential at security but anywhere else and there's lots of jokes about "don't hit your head!"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/heatherscope/status/1146218330396811264?s=21

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I can't wait until every single one of those things breaks down at the most inopportune time.

Also I'm sure that all the people who have been ordered into this thing would rather be there in the disgusting DC summer wearing their dress uniforms as opposed to home with their friends and families for the holiday.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

I remember when I used to work offshore and in Houston or New Orleans no one looked twice at a hard hat clipped to a backpack and a merchant mariner credential at security but anywhere else and there's lots of jokes about "don't hit your head!"

What the gently caress kind of Mickey Mouse company doesn’t supply PPE?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It is ridiculously easy to kill one of those things if you can get inside, and I haven't found a parked one yet I couldn't get into with bolt cutters. I'm talking push a few buttons burn down the tank easy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Now that I think about it you could kill the engine relatively silently from the outside in under a minute if you know what you're doing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

EBB posted:

Now that I think about it you could kill the engine relatively silently from the outside in under a minute if you know what you're doing.

hahaha! he's just kidding folks!

(comrade please)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Greetings to the USSS! Long time no see!

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The more armored vehicles in your nation's capitol, the healthier your country!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If the government did not want me to know these things they should not have sent me to school for them :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lightpole posted:

I dont have a way around Southwest, they would have to adjust the policy but less time waiting for passengers to get to a seat is less time spent on the ground wasting money.

Nah. Southwest's boarding method is definitely the fastest of any of the airlines but in most cases what's keeping you at the gate isn't the passengers finding seats, it's fueling/loading/servicing the plane.

The fastest possible would involve boarding everyone in a specific order and ain't nobody gonna listen to that poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EBB posted:

If the government did not want me to know these things they should not have sent me to school for them :v:

Or publish all the TMs online

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The most hilarious thing would be to rig the engine it so it stalls out in the middle of the parade and won't restart.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

What's that CIA document that they came up with for governmental disruption that you can do without making yourself an explicit enemy of an oppressive state? Stuff like loving up at work, but not to the extent that they will fire you?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it was the OSS. the "simple sabotage field manual"

thank you for reminding me about it, I've been meaning to read it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

A Bad Poster posted:

What's that CIA document that they came up with for governmental disruption that you can do without making yourself an explicit enemy of an oppressive state? Stuff like loving up at work, but not to the extent that they will fire you?

Phantom pooper

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

A Bad Poster posted:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf

Page 28 has some good stuff. My favourite is "When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and consideration." Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

apple books has the us government version from 1944 for free if thats easier

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf

Page 28 has some good stuff. My favourite is "When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and consideration." Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five."

Oh, poo poo - the CIA has infiltrated every management course ever!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
First time I saw that sabotage thing I was convinced the ruskies had doubled it back on the military and had won the long con.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
That manual is amazing, thanks for bringing it up. Am going to hit my folks at work with that section verbatim.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EBB posted:

Piss in the gas tank? Potato in the exhaust?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I mean you could probably bribe the driver with a Big Mac and a nice shady spot with a hammock for the 4th and that would get the job done just as easily.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
God this tank parade is so loving stupid.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

BigDave posted:

God this President is so loving stupid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BigDave posted:

God everything is so loving stupid.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

BigDave posted:

God is so loving stupid.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Midjack posted:

Piss in the gas tank? Potato in the exhaust?

One of the very few upsides for turbine as a tank engine is that neither of those would likely work. The fuel amount and consumption means your piss will dilute and the scorching exhaust coming out will just disintegrate a potato.

And yes, as an m1 tanker I’ve seen so many power packs destroyed completely by operator accident or misinformation it’s not even funny.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

BigDave posted:

gently caress

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

lightpole posted:

This still doesnt make sense to me. Why is boarding first a status thing? A high status should mean you get to be the one that spends the least amount of time on onboarding, last on/first off. I wait as long as I can before I get on the plane whether I'm flying coach or business cause gently caress sitting on a plane when I dont have to. Plus, it would be faster to board the people at the back of the plane first, instead of having everyone jammed in the aisles.

Because otherwise you have to stand around waiting for all the poors to get on. You do get to get off the plane first.

Everyone knows we don’t board planes efficiently but no one really seems to want to do anything about it so

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Can we also talk about how the people who block the disembark line by dicking around with the overhead instead of waiting for the people who are ready to get off are monsters

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Can we also talk about how the people who block the disembark line by dicking around with the overhead instead of waiting for the people who are ready to get off are monsters

A few years back I was flying back from work on the east coast; the first leg was Jacksonville to Chicago I think. Anyhow, like 6 people were pre-boarded via wheelchair, like pushed across the airport by employees, all looking sad and pathetic with their carry-ons across their laps, then head of the line and onto the plane with assistance. We land in Chicago. On the PA, Captain “Allright folks, we’ve arrived. Those of you needing help in disembarking, please stay in your seats, there’s gonna be a delay in getting some assistance...”. Every loving malingering fucktard jumps up, starts yanking the carry-ones out of the overheads, and off they go.

Also, my favorite are the ones with max carry-on luggage who put the bulk of it at the forward part of the plane while their seats are in the middle or back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My ex who was a flight attendant called those "miracle flights."