Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

RatHat posted:

I just looked up how to get a Lucky Egg in GSC. Wild Chansey have a 2% chance of holding one, and Chansey only have a 1% encounter rate. If my math is right that means you need an average of 50 Chansey to find one, and that's about 5000 total encounters to find 50 Chansey.

EDIT: To put it into perspective the shiny chance in Gen 2 was 1/8192 so slightly less than twice as rare as a lucky egg.

Actually, it's worse than that.

At a 1% encounter rate, you'd need 229 encounters to have a 90% chance of finding a Chansey.

Then, if the egg is only held by 2% of Chanseys, you'd need to encounter a chansey (229 encounters) 114 times to have a 90% chance of getting an egg.

229 encounters per chansey at 114 Chanseys for an egg means 26,106 encounters for a 90% chance at a Lucky Egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Annath posted:

Actually, it's worse than that.

At a 1% encounter rate, you'd need 229 encounters to have a 90% chance of finding a Chansey.

Then, if the egg is only held by 2% of Chanseys, you'd need to encounter a chansey (229 encounters) 114 times to have a 90% chance of getting an egg.

229 encounters per chansey at 114 Chanseys for an egg means 26,106 encounters for a 90% chance at a Lucky Egg.

Luckily you’re given a freebie now. Back in my day it was an item that only hypothetically existed and it sucked rear end.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blaziken386 posted:

TBH I'm rather annoyed that the "reasonable complaints" crowd, who were annoyed at the dynamax gimmick and possible direction of the series, have been completely overtaken in the public eyes by the "hooting chimpanzee" crowd, who seem intent on doing nothing but fling poo poo at masuda on twitter

Same. I canceled my preorder for Shield, I made some complaints online (and real life) that this new direction of cutting down on mons was hosed up, especially when the reasoning provided was "to improve balance (lol) and animations (lmao)", and when Masuda made a statement that was basically "well, tough, that's what we are doing anyway" I pretty much left the issue at that, because what else can I do -- I already voted with my wallet and I already said my piece.

I was also watching people making funny memes about the Galar border guard and how mons would get pass it, and that was an amusing way to keep the spotlight on the issue without being in any way rude.

But now actual fuckwads are at it and, as a result, me, you, and everyone else with reasonable complaints is now grouped with those loving morons. Ain't that great...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Saoshyant posted:

But now actual fuckwads are at it and, as a result, me, you, and everyone else with reasonable complaints is now grouped with those loving morons. Ain't that great...

#firstworldproblems

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Saoshyant posted:

Same. I canceled my preorder for Shield, I made some complaints online (and real life) that this new direction of cutting down on mons was hosed up, especially when the reasoning provided was "to improve balance (lol) and animations (lmao)", and when Masuda made a statement that was basically "well, tough, that's what we are doing anyway" I pretty much left the issue at that, because what else can I do -- I already voted with my wallet and I already said my piece.

I was also watching people making funny memes about the Galar border guard and how mons would get pass it, and that was an amusing way to keep the spotlight on the issue without being in any way rude.

Wow, that must be terrible for you.

You know what else is terrible? Masuda getting all this poo poo flung at him, and quite a few other unrelated people being straight up harassed just because their opinions didn't line up with the angry mob.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1146176457783201793

The 4channers and others have latched on to this.

this is the most obviously fake thing in the world and is gaining literally no traction

this supposedly japanese person follows nothing but rightwing gaming youtubers and shinzo abe, and inexplicably hasnt posted her callout in japanese as well, and no person named fusayo asai is listed in the credits for any pokemon game, or indeed, any video game ever made near as i can find. which is probably for the best that they at least didn't drag some random woman into this as well, but still.

its incredibly awful that someone went this far but nobody is going to give this the time of day

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

Stuff like past games' key items don't really take up much data in the code at all. They're a basic event trigger and a tiny image. If there's anything making the legacy code unwieldy, it's not stuff like that.

It's more about the fact that the very code structures still exist for all the crud from the gameboy generations to just be hanging around, which is absurd.

The overworld and scripting engine are the kind of thing where to be honest they'd probably have an easier time just starting anew. Work to encapsulate the battle and creature logic into a nice clean isolated logic chunk so it can be brought up, but the rest is fairly standard and they'd be better off inserting pokemon gameplay into a modern framework than trying to patchwork modernise their old stuff. Maybe build off the BotW engine? Or have Nintendo help build their own, but just make sure it has a focus on tooling that'll work well with Pokemon.

That takes time, though, which is why I'm thinking it'd be better to do it under the guise of a side game. Say a Pokemon open-world game. Sadly, it seems 'take a drat break' is off the cards.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 3, 2019

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

less laughter posted:

#firstworldproblems

Hey man problems are problems

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

TBH I'm rather annoyed that the "reasonable complaints" crowd, who were annoyed at the dynamax gimmick and possible direction of the series, have been completely overtaken in the public eyes by the "hooting chimpanzee" crowd, who seem intent on doing nothing but fling poo poo at masuda on twitter

I'm fairly certain the public eyes didn't really have too many thoughts about this in the first place.

At most it's gone from "Man it's pretty dumb that they're not having all the pokemon in the big new pokemon game" to "wow there's some crazy pokemon fans out there".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I know for a fact that Masuda has a fetish for having sex with foreigners, and egg play. That's what he calls the Masuda Method

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

MikeJF posted:

At this point I think the best solution would be to have Nintendo work on a 'side' game like how Let's Go was a side game which is intended to provide the new engine and tooling and scripting for future mainline Pokemon games, since reading between the lines it sounds like they're hampered by horrific legacy code and frameworks but don't have time with the endless yearly cycle to build something new and better from scratch.
We all want animations for all the pokemon, right? And we don't want GameFreak to have to do a brand new fully featured pokemon game every year?

It's time for Pokemon Snap 2 :colbert:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Give me VR Pokemon Ranch, then we'll talk.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pokemon Black report: gently caress the C-Gear.

Especially coming off Soul Silver spoiling me with all the buttons just there on the screen all the time and you can just toggle sprint on permanently.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Eox posted:

Give me VR Pokemon Ranch, then we'll talk.

This would indeed forgive all prior sins.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

They could could justify the limited dex in sword and shield by saying that galar's government doesn't want to risk foreign pokemon becoming an invasive species if brought in and they breed.

And so the dex is also a list of 'approved' pokemon species.

IIRC, the stated explanation is actually that the Pokemon not in the Dex don't particularly want to come to Galar because of, e.g., the weather.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Poliwag's pink nose... is actually a mouth??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How did they still have Withdraw/Deposit/Move/Move Items all the way into Gen V.

I really hope SwSh is touchscreen enabled for organising and dragging these things around. Lots of devs ignore the Switch touch.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 3, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Farecoal posted:

Poliwag's pink nose... is actually a mouth??

What kind of noses do you see that have a single central nostril?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i can almost see it but i’m doing ssj3 yelling trying to get my brain there

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Tbh as a disabled woman I honestly dont feel like I'm welcome in the Pokemon community anymore thanks to assholes who go apeshit over stuff like this. I know, it's the internet, but the same crowd has been getting worse since US/UM.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Unfortunately, the Pokémon fandom is huge, so there are plenty of assholes do go apeshit about it.

I’m just done with the whole thing and sick of hearing it. It’s happening, it sucks, it’s not going to change for SwSh. You’re free to be mad and not buy the game or be hype for it, and you’re also free to just feel vaguely like it sucks but also not care that much. But instead we’ve had a month long temper tantrum that’s now developing into the loudest voices becoming absolute loving assholes.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Annath posted:

What kind of noses do you see that have a single central nostril?

A weird animal nose? Plus I've never even noticed the "nostril", I always thought it was a solid pink blob. This is disturbing and much less cute

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

hopeandjoy posted:

Unfortunately, the Pokémon fandom is huge, so there are plenty of assholes do go apeshit about it.

I’m just done with the whole thing and sick of hearing it. It’s happening, it sucks, it’s not going to change for SwSh. You’re free to be mad and not buy the game or be hype for it, and you’re also free to just feel vaguely like it sucks but also not care that much. But instead we’ve had a month long temper tantrum that’s now developing into the loudest voices becoming absolute loving assholes.

:same:

I can understand that people are mad and sad. But making videos that are basically: GAMEFREAK BUSTED: USING N64 GRAPHICS????!!! is getting tiresome. Not to mention that this is most likely beta gameplay AFAIK. Im waiting until I actually get to play it before I make judgements.

loving lol at the title change, btw.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, personally the only time I ever tried to go for full Dex completion was in Gen 1 and have never bothered transferring Pokemon from gen to gen, instead just focusing more on getting a decent team together and then treating the rest of the game like a standard RPG.

In other words, I honestly don’t care about half the poo poo people are complaining about and instead just plan to judge SwSh on its own merits. I understand why these changes might upset some people but I also don’t really think it deserves quite this level of fan outcry either.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Farecoal posted:

A weird animal nose? Plus I've never even noticed the "nostril", I always thought it was a solid pink blob. This is disturbing and much less cute

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, personally the only time I ever tried to go for full Dex completion was in Gen 1 and have never bothered transferring Pokemon from gen to gen, instead just focusing more on getting a decent team together and then treating the rest of the game like a standard RPG.

In other words, I honestly don’t care about half the poo poo people are complaining about and instead just plan to judge SwSh on its own merits. I understand why these changes might upset some people but I also don’t really think it deserves quite this level of fan outcry either.

At least here it's still fairly civil. If you go on places like Twitter or Reddit it's an absolute mess right now.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Okay? The point was that I something I'd thought since my childhood was wrong and it felt very weird

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Araxxor posted:

Wow, that must be terrible for you.

You know what else is terrible? Masuda getting all this poo poo flung at him, and quite a few other unrelated people being straight up harassed just because their opinions didn't line up with the angry mob.

yeah i dont care, ban the dumb fake twitter accounts and bring my pokemon friends back

i think some people here care about this poo poo waaaaay more than masuda himself and it's pretty hilarious

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

What was the deal with leaving the Island Scan Pokemon out of the Alola dex anyways? Even if they followed a tedious pattern to get they were more reliable than some of the ultra rare new Pokemon. Did they just not feel like writing the flavour text for them or something?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Golden Gael posted:

What was the deal with leaving the Island Scan Pokemon out of the Alola dex anyways? Even if they followed a tedious pattern to get they were more reliable than some of the ultra rare new Pokemon. Did they just not feel like writing the flavour text for them or something?

I guess the method required might be a bit difficult for younger fans or children (basically the same reason/excuse as to why the Azure Flute never saw any distribution), so they didn't make it mandatory. Heck, I sometimes forget it exists (although for most of the Pokemon, I've already got one trained in a previous game).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

I can understand that people are mad and sad. But making videos that are basically: GAMEFREAK BUSTED: USING N64 GRAPHICS????!!! is getting tiresome. Not to mention that this is most likely beta gameplay AFAIK. Im waiting until I actually get to play it before I make judgements.
Congrats on being a rational human being. The number of people jumping to the worst conclusions about this game based on how little we actually know about it is wild. Like, the only thing we know that's new is Dynamaxing and the Wild Area. If you believe the leak then there's still giganta whatever and camping coming at the very least. I'm an optimist so of course I do, but I think there's plenty more to show off and everyone outside of the die hard National Dexers will change their tune once we learn about it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I miss the days when people were obsessing over Wooloo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zuzie posted:

That one week before the shoe dropped was pretty neat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's really sad that Sw/Sh is bogged down by all this bullshit, because it's overshadowing the fact that there's a Corgi Pokemon now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

wooloo

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I'm totally naming my Wooloo "Butters".

Woolooloo I've got some apples. Woolooloo you've got some too.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Zuzie posted:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:yeah:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Congrats on being a rational human being. The number of people jumping to the worst conclusions about this game based on how little we actually know about it is wild. Like, the only thing we know that's new is Dynamaxing and the Wild Area. If you believe the leak then there's still giganta whatever and camping coming at the very least. I'm an optimist so of course I do, but I think there's plenty more to show off and everyone outside of the die hard National Dexers will change their tune once we learn about it.

IMO, what they really need to do is show off the features of Home rather than SwSh. If it isn't subscription-based and includes battling, confirming that would go a long way to appease the fanbase.

But SwSh stuff could also help. Reveal Sirfetch'd and Galaran Meowth already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

Ban all men from vidyagames. Okay we can include some men I guess
And what would that accomplish? Do you hate fun?