Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also if you’re looking at late model 250s you should try to swing for the 300 because it has fuel injection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I took my beater/kitted scooter ('06 Zuma) apart a few months ago for a tune up and every loving tab on the bodywork was broken like some gorilla jumped on it while I was at work and I can't work up the motivation to fix it, so I've just been driving my truck like a lameass. I suppose I could fix it, but I'm also feeling too old to rock a tune pipe.

Has anyone come out with a decent electric scooter or grom-sized moto? My commute is a 3-miles of sub-35mph streets. Something that could hit 45 and has a 20mi range, and charge overnight on 110v would be plenty. $2500 is pretty much the sweet spot, but could go higher (but then I'd start cross shopping used big-bikes.)

CSC's City Slicker sounds right up my alley, but I know how bad I know Chinese importer re-branded gas bikes can be so I'm a little wary. I could only find the most superficial reviews (and a 39-page ADVrider thread I'll read this afternoon.) Anyone have any experience with CSC, or know of any other bikes I should look at?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was giving that some serious thought, but based on used prices, the 300 puts me somewhat above my budget for my new hobby after I factor in gear, etc.

I do plan to be on this for a number of years, and knowing myself I don’t really want to settle for something I wish I’d bought, so I will likely get the 2011 special ed that I’m eyeing. If it’s still available in a month once I get my rider training out of the way I will pull the trigger. If it’s not, I will still be happy with a Kawa 250 but I don’t know that I want to put off buying one until another specific model comes up. I’d rather spend that time riding.

I guess I could buy today, I just don’t want to risk taking the rider training and deciding that bikes are just not for me, as unlikely as that is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

New rider here. About to do my ministry approved M2 course. I've got an eye on what I'd like to pick up. I'm fairly firmly set on a Kawa Ninja 250R, 2008+ since I really dislike the styling of the previous gen. Question is mainly about whether, as a new rider, there is anything about a newer 2011-2012 that should make me favour those years over something older. Average price for a 2009 on autotrader and kijiji seems to be hovering about 2-2.2 CDN claimed undropped/well cared for/etc. 2011-2012 seems to go for 2.6-3+.

Aside from the obvious fact that a 2009 would have been ridden 10 years vs 7 for a 2012 (and I'm not really convinced that those three years make as much of a difference as, say, buying a 2017) is there any reason I should look at something 2011+ versus a 2009?

In my heart I want to end up with a 2011 special ed white

but being my first bike I'm fairly okay spending less on a colour I don't love as much and spending the extra few hundred on maybe something nicer gear-wise.

Word salad, hopefully some of that makes sense.

IMO besides efi there's no relevant difference besides shiny colours. I think you're falling into the marketing trap of treating your first bike like your last bike. The colour doesn't matter, if anything having a ~*special edition*~ makes things worse because they're so much harder to get fairing parts for after you inevitably fall over. Mechanically perfect, cosmetically rough is what I'd aim for, the whole point is to learn on something rugged and neutral so when it comes to getting something bigger and shinier, you're much better placed to know wtf you want. Save the money and spend it on tyres instead. Most bikes like that come with absolutely rubbish tyres, and good tyres are like the hugest most influential upgrade you can make to any bike; lovely chinese tyres will hold you back in fun and learning.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Seconding the rough ninjette with good tires. Putting pirellis on mine was a revelation. It was like getting a much nicer and better performing bike. Way better than any cosmetics I could have done.

Also your love of a nice pretty special edition will turn to hate when you dump it in a parking lot for the first time and that's all you can see.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Clearly the answer is the pretty white bike with beater fairings to swap out for the first year :D

I appreciate the contrasting views!

Truth is I’d like the one that catches my eye since I realistically don’t think I’ll be changing for two to three years, if I do decide to upgrade. But the fact is that I WILL dump it at some point so it’s entirely possible that I will loathe seeing the damage every day. I’ll be weighing these over the next month but I suspect in the end I’ll flip a coin. I don’t mind putting money into good tires so I’m going to consider that a wash for either bike.

I’m sure like 100% of newbies feel they’ll be on their 250 for a few years so that’s probably another trap I’m falling into.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Martytoof posted:

Clearly the answer is the pretty white bike with beater fairings to swap out for the first year :D

I appreciate the contrasting views!

Truth is I’d like the one that catches my eye since I realistically don’t think I’ll be changing for two to three years, if I do decide to upgrade. But the fact is that I WILL dump it at some point so it’s entirely possible that I will loathe seeing the damage every day. I’ll be weighing these over the next month but I suspect in the end I’ll flip a coin. I don’t mind putting money into good tires so I’m going to consider that a wash for either bike.

I’m sure like 100% of newbies feel they’ll be on their 250 for a few years so that’s probably another trap I’m falling into.

realistically you'll probably want a new bike after 6 months and actually ready for one after a year of decent riding

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean I haven’t dropped a bike yet and I’ve been riding for like 8 years

gently caress that means I’m gonna crash on my ride home doesn’t it

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Razzled posted:

realistically you'll probably want a new bike after 6 months and actually ready for one after a year of decent riding

Yeah I'm at ~1k miles on mine so far and I am lusting after other bikes because it's become 'normal to me.' But I know that I still have things to work on while I have this bike despite being way more comfortable in all situations now, especially traffic. Realistically I'll probably start looking at a new bike some time next year. There's so many cool ones to choose from.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Unless all 1k of those miles have been on the track you're likely smack in the middle of the stretch where your comfort and confidence heavily outweigh your actual riding ability. Have fun but keep your head on a swivel.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

Unless all 1k of those miles have been on the track you're likely smack in the middle of the stretch where your comfort and confidence heavily outweigh your actual riding ability. Have fun but keep your head on a swivel.

Yep! And that's why I know that I don't need a bigger bike now and that I need to work on my technique.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Also, the lust and desire for new bieks never goes away, it just shifts to bigger, better bikes, then when you get the biggest/bestest, you lust after whatever your weird fetish is.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have my dream bike now and I’m kinda scared for what comes next

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Also, the lust and desire for new bieks never goes away, it just shifts to bigger, better bikes, then when you get the biggest/bestest, you lust after whatever your weird fetish is.

Absolute fact.

I've become so numb now I rode an h2 a few weeks ago and jumped off thinking 'gee whizz that sure was neat!', then I spotted the guy's nsr125 and had to be told to leave.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Motorcycles have fundamentally broken all of us. some physically, all mentally.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm still amazed every time I think about it that my 400 cc bike that cost 5k can accelerate as quickly as my car with 400 hp that cost more than 10x as much. There's just too many cool bikes and they're all so cheap in relation to cars. I have a feeling I'm going to end up with 3-4 bikes in the future to switch between based on what I feel like that day. I know that choosing my next one is not going to be an easy choice.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Expand into use cases.
I've gone for a small gravel brappo that still can handle luggage and has normal service interval in my nx250 and my fz6n as the big street bike. So get anywhere gravel fun, and street naked. I was thinking about getting a late 90s crotch rocket but changed my mind after getting allergic to fairings and feeling that the 100ish horses from my fz6 is more than enough. I'll more likely just sit on some cash, see what gets posted as autumn sales and grab something then, maybe something silly, maybe an more modern upgrade to my 2 bike types. It really helps to have enough space for any number of bikes for winter storage. + you got the winter to farkle it up/do all the deferred maintenance the PO didn't do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Think my next bike is probably a super cub. Just wish they could do 2 up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

So I guess you've never been to Southeast Asia

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

A 300 Super Cub would be awesome, but ultimately defeat the point of the Super Cub being a machine that’s meant to get you where you need to go with only the minimum of what you need.

The thing that sucks about bikes is that there is no “perfect” bike so you have to commit yourself to poverty by owning all of them. :negative:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

So I guess you've never been to Southeast Asia

I have, the US one is a one seater tho

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

A MIRACLE posted:

The global version of the new cub had passenger pegs and a rack (presumably with a buddy seat option). If Honda doesn’t bring those as factory accessories soon I bet the aftermarket either makes them or imports them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

A MIRACLE posted:

I have, the US one is a one seater tho

Goes to show your lack of imagination. You could fit an entire family and 9 chickens on one of those.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There was a bit of culture shock seeing families on scooters no helmet and flip flops riding around in Thailand

I had flip flops too but at least I was wearing a helmet

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

monsterzero posted:

I took my beater/kitted scooter ('06 Zuma) apart a few months ago for a tune up and every loving tab on the bodywork was broken like some gorilla jumped on it while I was at work and I can't work up the motivation to fix it, so I've just been driving my truck like a lameass. I suppose I could fix it, but I'm also feeling too old to rock a tune pipe.

Has anyone come out with a decent electric scooter or grom-sized moto? My commute is a 3-miles of sub-35mph streets. Something that could hit 45 and has a 20mi range, and charge overnight on 110v would be plenty. $2500 is pretty much the sweet spot, but could go higher (but then I'd start cross shopping used big-bikes.)

CSC's City Slicker sounds right up my alley, but I know how bad I know Chinese importer re-branded gas bikes can be so I'm a little wary. I could only find the most superficial reviews (and a 39-page ADVrider thread I'll read this afternoon.) Anyone have any experience with CSC, or know of any other bikes I should look at?

Get a Honda Monkey. 125cc, 9hp and a ton of fun. It has the Grom engine but the bonus is that it looks nothing like a Grom.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=80#post496132575

how the gently caress has nobody bought this yet?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well my father-in-law has found a deal on a used 2017 xt250 with 1500 miles for $3700, everything but taxes included. A good deal for the PNW? I'd nearly convinced myself to be practical and give up on my motorcycle dreams again, but I'm seriously tempted by this one.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

It's too far away from me. (and I'm too poor)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BabelFish posted:

Well my father-in-law has found a deal on a used 2017 xt250 with 1500 miles for $3700, everything but taxes included. A good deal for the PNW? I'd nearly convinced myself to be practical and give up on my motorcycle dreams again, but I'm seriously tempted by this one.

That seems like a great deal to me. They usually run a little over $5k new if I'm not mistaken so getting a $1300 discount for something 2 years old seems like a great deal, especially in the PNW so long as it has a clear title and is in good shape. They aren't of the YZ/WR variety so people who ride them tend to treat them better so they likely won't be as thrashed and crashed. If you're looking for a XT250, its worth going to look at that one.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

That seems like a great deal to me. They usually run a little over $5k new if I'm not mistaken so getting a $1300 discount for something 2 years old seems like a great deal, especially in the PNW so long as it has a clear title and is in good shape. They aren't of the YZ/WR variety so people who ride them tend to treat them better so they likely won't be as thrashed and crashed. If you're looking for a XT250, its worth going to look at that one.

Thanks. It's at his local dealer that he spends a lot of time/money at, so I'm pretty comfortable that they're not taking me for a ride. Going to drive down next weekend and ride it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I've decided to take advantage of Colorado outdoors and get a dual sport, which I regretted not doing when I lived in Portland.

I don't want something overly expensive and I want it to be pretty off-road capable (more so than a KLR650), so I've settled on the KLX250.

There's a 2018 with 115 miles on Craigslist. Seller offered $4200. What do you all think? It's basically brand new and no damage and all stock. I don't especially want or need a brand newish bike, I'd settle for a couple thousand miles and a few years old, but there's not a ton of options. It's the camo model which is a little more expensive.

MSRP is $5,349 along with a $400 destination charge and I'm sure some other dealership BS. So saving about $1600 from new.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 11, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know poo poo about dirt bikes but you should buy that for the digital camo alone

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Normally I hate camo but I agree it looks pretty slick on this bike. The lime green option is pretty gross.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Where in the state are you?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Downtown Denver. It will be a bit of a drive to Estes Park and I know the klx doesn't love highways. But it's still plenty fast to maintain speed limit without totally redlining it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not sure how long you've been here or how familiar you are with the roads, but if I were going from Denver to Estes, I'd run up through Central City to the Peak to Peak highway and take that the rest of the way in. Especially this time of year.

Or through Golden to Hwy 92, and take that up through Boulder to Lyons and then up one of the canyons to Estes.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not sure how long you've been here or how familiar you are with the roads, but if I were going from Denver to Estes, I'd run up through Central City to the Peak to Peak highway and take that the rest of the way in. Especially this time of year.

Or through Golden to Hwy 92, and take that up through Boulder to Lyons and then up one of the canyons to Estes.

This. It's a great ride.

As someone that used to ride a 250 (WR, not KLX), the bike can do highway all day but you'll quickly realize you cannot.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think the farthest I'll ever go is 2 hours one way. And it'll be an all day thing to get there, go off road, and ride back. So lots of stops and resting.

That KLX was unfortunately sold pretty quick so I'll be waiting for another good option. There's one now but they're asking $7k which is lol. I'll also be renting a 2006 next weekend to make sure I want to commit to buying one.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

hayden. posted:

I think the farthest I'll ever go is 2 hours one way. And it'll be an all day thing to get there, go off road, and ride back. So lots of stops and resting.

That KLX was unfortunately sold pretty quick so I'll be waiting for another good option. There's one now but they're asking $7k which is lol. I'll also be renting a 2006 next weekend to make sure I want to commit to buying one.

CRF250L/Rally are a good thing to look at, or a used WR250R.

The WR250R is going to have the best suspension and most power of the bunch.

Also a 2006 isn't a great comparison to the new one. 06 had less power, worse suspension, and no EFI if I remember right.

Akion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

hayden. posted:

Sorry, why not just a dr650/690/ktm 500?