Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not going to say that black sperm deserves no hype, or that webcomics readers shouldn't be expressing excitement over a fan favorite character showing up, but a huge wave of "ooh boy this guy sure is amazing just you wait and see oh man" does kind of sour naturally experiencing what makes him good

This thread has been mostly fine about that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's a character named Black Sperm with a doofy little body and a weird face what more do you need from the story before you like him

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also he dodged an atomic samurai attack as his introduction in the previous issue, that alone was enough to sell me on him and I'm not a webcomic reader.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Now we are getting into the real threats of the monster organization.

And Murata makes it look drat GOOD.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's been other shows that have existed which have looked as good or better than OPM season 1.

It's not like season 1 was this miracle show or anything, though it was very very good.

What tv anime looked better than OPM S1?

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm not going to say that black sperm deserves no hype, or that webcomics readers shouldn't be expressing excitement over a fan favorite character showing up, but a huge wave of "ooh boy this guy sure is amazing just you wait and see oh man" does kind of sour naturally experiencing what makes him good

This thread has been mostly fine about that though

Yeah I don't really bother reading the thread

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

UP AND ADAM posted:

Mob Psycho S1's a super strong contender, and overall a better package than OPM IMO.

MP100 S2 blows OPM S2 out of the water.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I tried getting into MP100 but it's just not that interesting or fun. It did have some REALLY good animation though

OPM is just more my cup of tea for sure

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

I feel like all the people saying Black Sperm is so cool and good are people who have read the webcomic, because he hasn't really done anything so far to deserve all the hype imo.

Making a giant wall of himself and declaring that he's going to murder the guy who previously looked at a wall of enemies on the surface and turned them into a fine red mist. Even without the webcomic's knowledge that last page of Black Sperm is ominous.

Blockhouse posted:

y'all there are a lot of problems money doesn't fix, like:

- the relatively small pool of skilled animators
- said animators being on a constant ticking clock because anime has a hit a critical mass where too many shows are in production for how many people actually work in the industry
- poorly managed work pipelines leading to delays and episodes getting finished only a few hours before airing (or not at all)

You could back-up a truck load of gold bricks to JC Staff's office and it wouldn't change the reality that they don't have the people and they don't have the time

the industry is deeply, systemically hosed right now in a way that only a full-on collapse is going to fix
I think the biggest issue was just bad direction and poor storyboarding. A lot of fights and moments lost a lot because they were framed poorly, given terrible sound choices and filters, or just were paced out terribly. I dropped the season halfway through and just started keeping up wtih the fights which still managed to disappoint.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is that it or are there more eps to come? Was that #11 or 12?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Is that it or are there more eps to come? Was that #11 or 12?

That was it. At least for the season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Making a giant wall of himself and declaring that he's going to murder the guy who previously looked at a wall of enemies on the surface and turned them into a fine red mist. Even without the webcomic's knowledge that last page of Black Sperm is ominous.

And it's the first time a monster has confidently claimed that they're going to kill someone too!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
is it hosed up that i'm happy the season's over so that there's a small chance that they'll have more than enough lead time while working on episodes for next season?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

is it hosed up that i'm happy the season's over so that there's a small chance that they'll have more than enough lead time while working on episodes for next season?

Deluding yourself is never okay.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

I tried getting into MP100 but it's just not that interesting or fun. It did have some REALLY good animation though

OPM is just more my cup of tea for sure

When I first watched MP100, I wasn't immediately grabbed either; it took a few episodes, though it was great after that. Perhaps ironically given how much people love him, the biggest issue was Reigan; he was utterly unlikable at first, but fortunately that changed after a few episodes

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

When I first watched MP100, I wasn't immediately grabbed either; it took a few episodes, though it was great after that. Perhaps ironically given how much people love him, the biggest issue was Reigan; he was utterly unlikable at first, but fortunately that changed after a few episodes
This is exactly my take too. It doesn't help that it's sorta overhyped too. It was good, even great but not a messianic experience.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
disagree. perfect television program

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah I don't really bother reading the thread

Demon Slayer just from the same season

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MP100 really suffers if you go in overhyped, because it's biggest strength is the growth of its characters and that's something that takes a few episodes to really start showing through. early disappointment in that mindset seems unavoidable

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Reigan did nothing wrong.

Edit: At the very least, he's the most realistically written human character in any anime I've seen.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 4, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

graham cracker posted:

Reigan did nothing wrong.

Edit: At the very least, he's the most realistically written human character in any anime I've seen.

At least when he is wrong the show doesn't hold back in making him pay for it and come out even more likeable.

Seriously though, I don't get how you can like one of these shows and hate the other. They build on pretty similar themes and have similar concepts, yet their approaches are very different.

At least if you love one, you should like the other.

Maybe it's the case of the Gundam cool robot image again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reigen Arataka is objectively flawless.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Counterpoint:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

At least when he is wrong the show doesn't hold back in making him pay for it and come out even more likeable.

Seriously though, I don't get how you can like one of these shows and hate the other. They build on pretty similar themes and have similar concepts, yet their approaches are very different.

At least if you love one, you should like the other.

Maybe it's the case of the Gundam cool robot image again.

They're wildly divergent outside of a superficially similar basic theme and concept

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

graham cracker posted:

I like MP100 but this is the sort of hyperbolic statement that really turns off people from even giving it a chance. The disparity between that statement and the first few episodes of Mob would be sufficient to convince even someone who wasn't skeptical in the first place that your opinion seems entirely off the mark.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

ChronoReverse posted:

I like MP100 but this is the sort of hyperbolic statement that really turns off people from even giving it a chance. The disparity between that statement and the first few episodes of Mob would be sufficient to convince even someone who wasn't skeptical in the first place that your opinion seems entirely off the mark.

His opinion is pretty spot on and Reigen is the best.

Also, this is not a hyperbolic statement: Mob Psycho 100 is one of the best manga series I've read and the released anime seasons together is the best anime I've watched since Ping Pong.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 5, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like Reigen but the way that people gush about him is off putting

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

thetoughestbean posted:

It is, especially with the refusal to acknowledge what an absolute rear end in a top hat he was in those first few episodes. He doesn't feel like the same person at all as later, even counting the flashback to before the first episode, as if ONE started writing him differently later and hadn't figured out his personality at first. Which is completely fair and common, but still, he was an unlikable gently caress at first, and trying to pretend that he's perfect when he was blatantly exploiting Mob and showing him zero gratitude for it, or reacting like this to even mild criticisms of it:

Zerilan posted:

Also, this is not a hyperbolic statement: Mob Psycho 100 is one of the best manga series I've read and the released anime seasons together is the best anime I've watched since Ping Pong.

Are going to do the opposite of make people want to watch the show, and I'm speaking as someone who also thinks it's one of the best anime they've seen and liked Reigen after those first few episodes were past and there was more to him than "that guy who profited off sending Mob into life-threatening situations and barely paid him for it".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Reigen is much more likeable when you are exposed to him naturally over the course of the story, rather than being told ahead of time "reigen is the best character in the show, and also all time" and then watching the first episode where he's a paper-thin joke that honestly gets a little tired even before the episode is over

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

"that guy who profited off sending Mob into life-threatening situations and barely paid him for it".
I mean Mob was only put in danger enough times to count on one hand as a direct result of Reigen. Those low-tier ghosts and spirits had no chance in harming a hair on Mob's head.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zerilan posted:

Reigen is a very well written character but ChronoReverse isn't wrong. You're talking about the show and it's characters with the hindsight of knowing how things ends up, but just because Reigen is revealed to be a mature and responsible person a dozen episodes in does change that he's initially presented as a callous and selfish huckster.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yes, people who talk about a series they've seen are talking from the perspective of seeing the series.

TheLoneStar posted:

I mean Mob was only put in danger enough times to count on one hand as a direct result of Reigen. Those low-tier ghosts and spirits had no chance in harming a hair on Mob's head.

Reigen is also pretty quick to advocate retreat to mob the moment he thinks a situation is actually dangerous.

Roland Jones posted:

He doesn't feel like the same person at all as later, even counting the flashback to before the first episode, as if ONE started writing him differently later and hadn't figured out his personality at first.

Don't really agree here either. He's different later on after he's been through some actual dangerous situations and relationship conflicts with Mob, while in the flashback his first thought when realizing Mob's powers are real is "I can use this for my business." Really the main difference between later issues and the start is that the first time we see Reigen he's in full semi-conman business mode.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 5, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

Yes, people who talk about a series they've seen are talking from the perspective of seeing the series.

Yes, and you're responding to people who are talking from the perspective of before they saw the show and their immediate exposure to Reigen was, for obvious reasons, that first episode. Which was the point, seeing as the topic was people having trouble getting into MP100, in large part because of hype backlash and not liking some characters, especially Reigen, early on.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Well it's not like I'm particularly invested. But if you ever wonder why people don't seem to love something as much as you do...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

Okay, counterpoint, how about your prove that Reigan's not the most realistically written human character in any anime that graham cracker has seen.

thetoughestbean posted:

Roland Jones posted:

It is, especially with the refusal to acknowledge what an absolute rear end in a top hat he was in those first few episodes. He doesn't feel like the same person at all as later, even counting the flashback to before the first episode, as if ONE started writing him differently later and hadn't figured out his personality at first. Which is completely fair and common, but still, he was an unlikable gently caress at first, and trying to pretend that he's perfect when he was blatantly exploiting Mob and showing him zero gratitude for it, or reacting like this to even mild criticisms of it:

Are going to do the opposite of make people want to watch the show, and I'm speaking as someone who also thinks it's one of the best anime they've seen and liked Reigen after those first few episodes were past and there was more to him than "that guy who profited off sending Mob into life-threatening situations and barely paid him for it".

Roland Jones posted:

Yes, and you're responding to people who are talking from the perspective of before they saw the show and their immediate exposure to Reigen was, for obvious reasons, that first episode. Which was the point, seeing as the topic was people having trouble getting into MP100, in large part because of hype backlash and not liking some characters, especially Reigen, early on.

Reigen Arataka confirmed a not good enough character to be labeled best boi like Fubuki

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, counterpoint, how about your prove that Reigan's not the most realistically written human character in any anime that graham cracker has seen.
Oh don't worry, my statement was made with the assumption it really was the most realistically written human character in any anime that graham cracker has ever seen and all the implications of such.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As someone who bounced off of MP100 pretty much immediately because of a deep dislike of conman characters I am very invested in seeing how deep this Reigen worship double downing will go

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

As someone who bounced off of MP100 pretty much immediately because of a deep dislike of conman characters I am very invested in seeing how deep this Reigen worship double downing will go

The first scene before Mob's introduced and it's purely Reigen being conman psychic still remains one of my favorite scenes in the show.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I kinda get people bouncing off MP100, especially with how much people hype it. I think it takes a while to get going, particularly the anime since Bones moved events around to add some more slice of life episodes to the first half of S1, but once it gets going and mob shows his growth as a character the feelgoods and crazy action never stop.

Personally I think watching Mob struggle to finish a marathon yet refusing to give up or cheat to reach the end is legitimately one of the most powerful scenes in anime I've ever seen. I consider the show not just proof that an adaptation can be both 100% faithful to the source and also a legitimate improvement in nearly every meaningful aspect. It is incredible and probably one of the best series of the decade, if not of all time.

But also it's okay to not like things. ONE's style isn't for everyone. I know people who like neither MP100 or OPM (but like shonen of many different stripes) and I kinda sorta get it. Guy has offbeat humor, his storytelling plays with expectations a lot which must disappoint people that want more traditionally told stories and both series are criminally short on female characters.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 5, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also nthing that I quit MP100 after one episode of Reigan after hearing all the hype and coming off with the impression that anime watchers are sociopaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Also nthing that I quit MP100 after one episode of Reigan after hearing all the hype

reasonable

Eej posted:

and coming off with the impression that anime watchers are sociopaths

i have some questions about what you think the difference is between a character you enjoy seeing in a fictional work and a person you'd like to hang out with