Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

I just used the upgraded laserteleport to cheese that.

You don't even need to upgrade it. I thought that race was one of the most obvious puzzles in the game, especially since they telegraph that you'll need the reflect ray by putting a mirror above the first obstacle.

It was a hell of a lot easier to figure out than bypassing spikes with a single breastplate that can only be reasonably found by scouring the map every time you get a mobility upgrade or needing the Aqua Stream shard that you can only get from the exclusively underwater Deesemas as a random drop to be able to swim when being able to swim is necessary to proceed deeper into the game.

That reminded me of a D&D playtest from a little while back (I think it was Mike Mearls running a 5e playtest). The module they were playing needed someone to roll a successful Perception check to proceed. None of the players managed to beat the target number, so the game ground to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

OutOfPrint posted:

That reminded me of a D&D playtest from a little while back (I think it was Mike Mearls running a 5e playtest). The module they were playing needed someone to roll a successful Perception check to proceed. None of the players managed to beat the target number, so the game ground to a halt.

Jeez, that's a failure of both the module and the DM.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

I mean it said “Mike Mearls” right in the post.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The internet meltdown over the new Pokemon game not launching with all 800+ characters in it is hilarious. Like, I get that all the games before it allowed transfers, but they were all on similar systems with similar hardware - or, at minimum, they were "stepping up" from one hardware type to the next that were already somewhat compatible. Going from handheld to Switch is an entirely different beast, and the idea that a grownup throwing a tantrum over not being able to carry over their pocket monsters is pretty pathetic. And yes, I play Pokemon. I've played it quite a bit. And I don't give two shits about the company's frankly very rational decision.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

New Leaf posted:

The internet meltdown over the new Pokemon game not launching with all 800+ characters in it is hilarious. Like, I get that all the games before it allowed transfers, but they were all on similar systems with similar hardware - or, at minimum, they were "stepping up" from one hardware type to the next that were already somewhat compatible. Going from handheld to Switch is an entirely different beast, and the idea that a grownup throwing a tantrum over not being able to carry over their pocket monsters is pretty pathetic. And yes, I play Pokemon. I've played it quite a bit. And I don't give two shits about the company's frankly very rational decision.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red/Blue, but The Pokemon Company's profits have increased by like 1200% over the last few years. If they haven't got the resources to put all the characters in the game then hire some more staff! It's pretty much just pennypinching.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I'd also be a bit more sympathetic to "it takes a lot of effort to add those pokemon" if they werent known for just copy pasting models from previous gens with the same animations, just slightly upressed textures. It got really bad in battle revolution for the wii when they were still using n64 models nearly 8 years later. That said It would be sensible at a point to just prune the list after a point just to get rid off the ones no one gives a poo poo about or are completely worthless ,like is there any situation whatsoever youd use a luvdisc over any other water type? (or phione which is just manaphy but shitter stats)

Honestly, I'm more annoyed at them removing all the fun stuff like mega evolutions and replacing it with a much more boring "make pokemon bigger for more stats". Feels like anytime they include a fun gimmick or system it gets completely scrapped by the next generation, and gets replaced by something much more limited or just replaced with nothing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

New Leaf posted:

It's not really a matter of 'upgrading to a new console', although that is part of it. It's more that it's a new engine for a new generation, and every time they make one of those, the workload to port all the old Pokemon gets bigger, not just because of the technology but because every time they do that there's another 100+ new Pokemon on that pile. At some point, that was always going to become too much effort, and if I'm honest I'm just surprised it took this long. I think everyone is, to an extent; I think once they made the jump to the 3DS and made fairly good new 3D models for all of them, it seemed like smooth sailing, because that was obviously gonna be the biggest workload until it turned out it wasn't.

I still think that we'll see them adding in more of the old Pokemon over time, now that we're in a landscape where that's actually possible. Maybe a similar situation to how they handled gen 3; not all the old ones were available off the bat then, because that would've bloated the game, but they were scattered throughout spinoffs and remakes over those next few years. The real hassle is that with the old system they have to do all that porting work right off the bat, before the game's released, regardless of how relevant Klinklang or Cofagrigus is to the game they're making. It becomes a much more digestible task, and one that prolongs engagement with the game (not that Pokemon struggles with that), if they put a core two, three hundred or so in at launch and then put in the rest over the course of a few years and probably a same-gen sequel and/or remake we're sitting pretty good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tengames posted:

I'd also be a bit more sympathetic to "it takes a lot of effort to add those pokemon" if they werent known for just copy pasting models from previous gens with the same animations, just slightly upressed textures. It got really bad in battle revolution for the wii when they were still using n64 models nearly 8 years later. That said It would be sensible at a point to just prune the list after a point just to get rid off the ones no one gives a poo poo about or are completely worthless ,like is there any situation whatsoever youd use a luvdisc over any other water type? (or phione which is just manaphy but shitter stats)

Honestly, I'm more annoyed at them removing all the fun stuff like mega evolutions and replacing it with a much more boring "make pokemon bigger for more stats". Feels like anytime they include a fun gimmick or system it gets completely scrapped by the next generation, and gets replaced by something much more limited or just replaced with nothing.

So you're saying they...should copy-paste models into the new game?

I never liked mega-evolutions, they felt so incredibly gimmicky, even moreso than this megamax or whatever it's called. It's understandable why they'd scrap old mechanics though, otherwise you'd have this bloated mess that'd be even more impossible to balance in any meaningful way than it is now.

food court bailiff posted:

I mean it said “Mike Mearls” right in the post.

Dunno who that is. Bad DM guy?

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Jul 3, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

New Leaf posted:

the hardest part of making a pokemon game at this point is designing new pokemon, and it really is just that gamefreak is either lazy or incompetent enough not to let you transfer the pokemon to the upcoming releases. Literally every pokemon is in the data for Lets Go Pikachu and Eevee, and so are held items (which weren't obtainable in the game), implying that they really could just copy/paste all the pokemon models into sword and shield and ship it. I don't understand the "gamefreak reuses models, how lazy" argument, because the models will always be as fine as they previously were, but they have all of these supposedly timeproofed models for a reason - why not use them?

they're also using the same engine for the switch, so its not like its actually any different.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jul 3, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty early into The Sinking City and it falls into the same trap that a lot of Lovecraftian horror games do, too much combat. For some reason despite the fact that Lovecraft never wrote about people fighting back against his monsters game devs feel the need to give you a gun and tell you to shoot that monster.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Morpheus posted:

I never liked mega-evolutions, they felt so incredibly gimmicky, even moreso than this megamax or whatever it's called. It's understandable why they'd scrap old mechanics though, otherwise you'd have this bloated mess that'd be even more impossible to balance in any meaningful way than it is now.

I think Mega-Evolutions were the best of the 'one gen only' gimmicks, because they were also capable of solving the problem of power creep leaving early Pokemon in the dust. They weren't used great for this since they decided to also give them to a bunch of newer and still useful Pokemon too, but I think if they stuck with them and kept adding new ones it would've helped. A ton of the classic, iconic Pokemon are basically useless; Z-Moves and Dynamax can't solve that, but Mega-Evolutions were capable of rescuing some.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The problem with Pokemon is it's two games now: one for the vast majority of us who want to see the different areas and beat the story, and another for the small but vocal group who do the grognard grind-breeding for competitive play. Most people don't care about the "metagame" and I don't fault Game Freak for focusing more on making the game fun

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nostradingus posted:

The problem with Pokemon is it's two games now: one for the vast majority of us who want to see the different areas and beat the story, and another for the small but vocal group who do the grognard grind-breeding for competitive play. Most people don't care about the "metagame" and I don't fault Game Freak for focusing more on making the game fun

Wasnt pokemon usually two games? Like red and blue or whatever?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

Wasnt pokemon usually two games? Like red and blue or whatever?

He means there's the game for the target audience, a fun light-hearted rpg.

Then there's the games for the turbonerds who min/Max stats and grind eggs to get The Best Pokemon so they can fight the Pokemon of other people who did that.

Or am I missing :thejoke:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Checking model rips for the newer games, it seems that they already do it. there are programs for ripping the models from all recent games and apprently for lets go pikachu/eevee, said pikachu and eevee are actually the only pokemon with new models, the rest were just straight copy pasted from x/y/sun/moon with upscaled textures.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really want to like Dead Cells but this Hand of the King fight is just ridiculous. His forward slash can hit you from anywhere in the arena. You get close and you just get grenaded to death. Try and use ranged attacks and his projectile shield pops up. You have about a 1 second window to roll behind him and get a few strikes in, then he’ll just one or 2 shot you. You have no time to ever try and heal, even with the fast healing mutation. If you stop moving for even a second he’ll just swat you away and push you into the spikes. So far the most luck I’ve had is wolf traps but they only keep him down for a few seconds. Any build I try from Brutality to Tactics is just insanely ineffective. The only way I’ve gotten him to his third phase is just tons of dot damage and just jumping around the arena while his health slowly trickles down.

I can get to him pretty easy at this point but it’s just so frustrating to spend 35 minutes getting to him just to get rolled in 3 minutes.

I got to the point where the game's difficulty was a 0-2 up to the Hand of the King but a 10/10 for the Hand himself. So I beat him once by putting together a boring trap build to cheese him with little effort and then put the game away forever. Is the green item category still totally worthless?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing around in Mario Maker 2 for a couple days, and it's basically a super nice update with a lot of fun, new ideas. But one of the neatest new additions, online Vs. and co-op, just seems borked - every game I've played has ranged between slightly jerky (just enough to throw off your timing) to a complete sub-1-fps slideshow. I'm in the usual 60 Mbps range (and tested that at the time), it's incredibly aggravating to have the biggest new draw flop like that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nostradingus posted:

the real problem is that there are going to be a good amount of people from now on who will not get to use their favorite pokemon in their team.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

spit on my clit posted:

the real problem is that there are going to be a good amount of people from now on who will not get to use their favorite pokemon in their team.

The disappointing thing is that these are the people getting hurt by losing the full import, not the competitive scene that's actually complaining. The competitive scene can, should, and largely does reconfigure every generation to consider the new Pokemon anyway, and older generations trend towards being less useful over time; there's not going to be a generation that magically makes Huntail useful unless they decide to specifically design something for it (and if he does, he gets to be in the initial lineup of that gen anyway). Tauros was top poo poo in gen 1, but gradually became worse and worse compared to the competition, and he's not the only one. Chances are, the competitive scene won't lose any Pokemon worth using in the first place.

But my favorite is Porygon-Z. Z's niche at best in competitive play, only really useful in amateur play when he can blindside people because they never bothered learning about him. But that's fine, I love my weird glitch-bird. I'm probably not getting him in gen 8 though, at least initially, and that makes me sad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

I don't fault Game Freak for focusing more on making the game fun

i wouldn't fault game freak for that if they were actually doing that but instead sword/shield is looking like just another bog standard pokemon gen that looks slightly nicer and has one (1) new combat gimmick that will get ditched a few years later for the next new combat gimmick

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Which cool Pokemon did they get rid of?

Edit: genuine question, #noasshole.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Which cool Pokemon did they get rid of?

Edit: genuine question, #noasshole.

we don't know, which is also part of the reason people are riled up and annoyed. right now a lot of the details are big question marks so if someone's a super big fan of a pokemon that we haven't seen in demo footage yet they've got no idea of knowing whether or not they'll be in the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hawlucho confirmed, all is well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On the one hand, the tagline of pokemon has always been "gotta catch em all" so it's a bummer that you can't actually catch 'em all in the same title anymore. On the other hand, there's only so much space on a cartridge or disc. People (especially itt) love to be armchair game programmers and assume that porting over a thousand models, a thousand textures, ten thousand animations is something that can be done in an afternoon if your company has a lot of money, but the reality of it is that it takes a very long time and the diminishing returns (who is going to use a Nosepass in the latest pokemon game?) mean that at some point it's just not worth it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Why are they even adding another hundred pokemon that will be the same as every other generation? Why couldn't they try mixing it up across the other 800 that existed? Maybe improve some of the bad unused ones, give them evos that make them viable.

Instead we get the same ol' Fire/water/grass starters and their evos, a normal/flying bird or two, a normal rodent or two, some boring grass flowers, etc. No real innovation or a change in the progression.

It's nice they kept some ability to see the Pokemon in grass, sucks they also kept in random encounters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

CJacobs posted:

On the one hand, the tagline of pokemon has always been "gotta catch em all" so it's a bummer that you can't actually catch 'em all in the same title anymore.

They actually haven't used that tagline since gen 2, back in 2001. And even then, I think it was only thrown around in the west, Japan never tried to push that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Pretty early into The Sinking City and it falls into the same trap that a lot of Lovecraftian horror games do, too much combat. For some reason despite the fact that Lovecraft never wrote about people fighting back against his monsters game devs feel the need to give you a gun and tell you to shoot that monster.

I'm watching a playthrough, not playing myself, but I understand it. If you had monsters and no combat, it's survival horror, which is different. If you had very light combat, you'd wonder why you had it at all. If you had no monsters at all, you wouldn't have Lovecraftian horror. I get what you're saying, but they chose a "mainstream" path.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

They actually haven't used that tagline since gen 2, back in 2001. And even then, I think it was only thrown around in the west, Japan never tried to push that.

Yeah a friend of mine tried to pull that. They haven't slapped it on a game box in quite a few gens and I think it's exclusively used for the anime now

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Len posted:

Yeah a friend of mine tried to pull that. They haven't slapped it on a game box in quite a few gens and I think it's exclusively used for the anime now

Not even; it's been a line in two of the theme songs since then (the X and Y season theme was a cover of the original though, so honestly only one) but they don't use it by itself there, either. Apparently it sneaks in rarely as part of temporary promotional graphics, but nothing permanent.

Funnily enough, it was removed for gen 3, which was the first gen that actually made catching them all fairly unfeasible because of losing access to the previous generations' games! So it's almost like they knew over fifteen years ago that such a slogan had stopped being feasible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well my point was more that the games have always been about filling out the pokedex in addition to the region-spanning adventure/badge collection, the catchphrase is just that but distilled down into a few words.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Jul 4, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Well my point was more that the games have always been about filling out the pokedex in addition to the region-spanning adventure/badge collection, the catchphrase is just that distilled down into a few words.

I wonder what the profit breakdowns are between ultra-hardcore fans who have a carefully curated team that they brought over through the various incarnations of the game and the folks like me who will buy it and play through it with whatever team I cobble together and maybe revisit it in a year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

Why are they even adding another hundred pokemon that will be the same as every other generation? Why couldn't they try mixing it up across the other 800 that existed? Maybe improve some of the bad unused ones, give them evos that make them viable.

Instead we get the same ol' Fire/water/grass starters and their evos, a normal/flying bird or two, a normal rodent or two, some boring grass flowers, etc. No real innovation or a change in the progression.

It's nice they kept some ability to see the Pokemon in grass, sucks they also kept in random encounters.

Well it's pretty helpful for children for the initial starter types to not have any complete brickwalls of attacks that don't work on other types like poison and steel or fighting and ghost. That way even the most illiterate strategy oblivious child can still grind a Pokemon to level 46 at the fourth gym and still keep trucking along.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

New Leaf posted:

I wonder what the profit breakdowns are between ultra-hardcore fans who have a carefully curated team that they brought over through the various incarnations of the game and the folks like me who will buy it and play through it with whatever team I cobble together and maybe revisit it in a year.

I'm pretty sure the nerds who catch all the pokemon bring in more profits because they're the ones who buy two versions of the game (for version exclusives) and pay money to go to the events to get event exclusive pokemon, many of which aren't held anywhere near where you live so you have to travel across the dang country to get them (or you did before downloading things at the nearest gamestop was an option) and then sign up for the pokemon storage box app and pay monthly fees for it so they can house their entire collection forever and ever.

There's an article I've been trying to find to no avail where one guy kept track of how much money it cost him to legitimately get all of the pokemon back in generation 3 after they finally released a way for western players to get Jirachi and how difficult and time consuming it was to do because a lot of the events were either held at very specific gamestops, or at pokemon stores which were in relatively limited locations meaning the guy would have had to also pay for flights.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
The theoretical price of completing the Pokedex has gone down dramatically since about gen 4 or so, when they introduced online trading. If you insist on catching everything personally it'll still run you up a big bill, but I completed the Pokedex in gen 6 with just a single copy of Y version. Before the Hoenn remakes came out, too, so the gen 3 starters were still tough gets.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that if they do decide to add in previous gen pokemon, they'll likely do it in batches via the pre-existing international pokedex system the games have had for generations now. They're even conveniently organized into bunches based on their region except for stuff that shows up all over the place. New batch of pokemans able to be imported? New pokedex tab to browse through them.

It's a lot easier to break the work into chunks and continue supporting the game after release than to try and squeeze absolutely everything in when they're working on a pretty limited timespan. Nintendo consoles have finally caught up to the modern console generations when it comes to online functionality and game patches/updates/expansions so I doubt the new pokemon generation will pass up on taking advantage of it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure the nerds who catch all the pokemon bring in more profits because they're the ones who buy two versions of the game (for version exclusives) and pay money to go to the events to get event exclusive pokemon, many of which aren't held anywhere near where you live so you have to travel across the dang country to get them (or you did before downloading things at the nearest gamestop was an option) and then sign up for the pokemon storage box app and pay monthly fees for it so they can house their entire collection forever and ever.

There's an article I've been trying to find to no avail where one guy kept track of how much money it cost him to legitimately get all of the pokemon back in generation 3 after they finally released a way for western players to get Jirachi and how difficult and time consuming it was to do because a lot of the events were either held at very specific gamestops, or at pokemon stores which were in relatively limited locations meaning the guy would have had to also pay for flights.

Pokemon games sell like ten million copies each release there's no way a handful of obsessive nerds bring in more money.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I got the game “Inside” on Xbox and just beat it and have no idea what was going on. I mean, I get like what I did on screen but all the backstory or details/explanation I have missed out on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alls I'm saying is that if I can't put both Alomomola and Luvdisc in my party there will be hell to pay :argh:

New Pokemon Gens have been two or three steps forward, two or three steps back for ages now so something like this isn't too surprising. I feel like the last real "gamechanger" addition was the online features and that was, what, gen 4?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, some of the official ones are really pretty terrible. We played one where the main story was about trying to get some old artifact that'll unlock some huge buried treasure hoard. Except if the party were to get their hands on that artifact before the Appointed Time, the module outright states that a random enemy mook just kinda charges in, yoinks it, and runs off without the party being able to do anything about it. And this could apparently happen several times depending on how the module went. And when you finally do get to the hoard, it turns out that it's guarded by a dragon that you have no hope in hell of defeating or outwitting, so you kinda just have to settle for what he feels like giving you. If it hadn't been for some pretty serious rewriting by our DM it'd have sucked really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

Well it's pretty helpful for children for the initial starter types to not have any complete brickwalls of attacks that don't work on other types like poison and steel or fighting and ghost. That way even the most illiterate strategy oblivious child can still grind a Pokemon to level 46 at the fourth gym and still keep trucking along.

Who the hell told you how I played Pokemon games when I was younger?