Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I doubt it will be but I hope coincidences of coincidences the shiny is orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

IMO, what they really need to do is show off the features of Home rather than SwSh. If it isn't subscription-based and includes battling, confirming that would go a long way to appease the fanbase.

But SwSh stuff could also help. Reveal Sirfetch'd and Galaran Meowth already!

Thatll be in august like megas and alolans. This month we get a handful of pokemon.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Silver2195 posted:

IMO, what they really need to do is show off the features of Home rather than SwSh. If it isn't subscription-based and includes battling, confirming that would go a long way to appease the fanbase.

But SwSh stuff could also help. Reveal Sirfetch'd and Galaran Meowth already!

Ugh, Gen 1 again?

*sends death threats to Masuda*

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I beat Sun, not bothering with the post-game stuff cause I'm moving right on to Ultra Moon. Not that Gen VI was bad but I've enjoyed S/M a lot more

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Im gonna get a wooloo and name it lulu

lulu the wooloo

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Blaziken386 posted:

Im gonna get a wooloo and name it lulu

lulu the wooloo

When it breeds you'll be able to say that two Wooloo, one of which is Lulu, had WooHoo.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

hopeandjoy posted:

Unfortunately, the Pokémon fandom is huge, so there are plenty of assholes do go apeshit about it.

I’m just done with the whole thing and sick of hearing it. It’s happening, it sucks, it’s not going to change for SwSh. You’re free to be mad and not buy the game or be hype for it, and you’re also free to just feel vaguely like it sucks but also not care that much. But instead we’ve had a month long temper tantrum that’s now developing into the loudest voices becoming absolute loving assholes.

These people should be putting that energy toward “going apeshit” about climate change

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I picked Litten this time and Hau picked Rowlet. Which sucks, I don't want to beat up on the little owl I used to beat Sun :(

Eh gently caress it, I'm gonna restart the game tomorrow and pick Rowlet again, but actually evolve him this time

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 4, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chill Penguin posted:

These people should be putting that energy toward “going apeshit” about climate change

#BringBackArcticGlaciers isn't very catchy, and there's no gif of an out-of-season hail storm lacking animation frames to call anyone lazy over.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Congrats on being a rational human being. The number of people jumping to the worst conclusions about this game based on how little we actually know about it is wild. Like, the only thing we know that's new is Dynamaxing and the Wild Area. If you believe the leak then there's still giganta whatever and camping coming at the very least. I'm an optimist so of course I do, but I think there's plenty more to show off and everyone outside of the die hard National Dexers will change their tune once we learn about it.

None of that is gonna bring my mega mawile back though! :mad:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Saagonsa posted:

None of that is gonna bring my Mega Sableye back though! :mad:

This, and also, what if they just straight up don't bring Mawile/Sableye/Your Favorite Pokemon back? It's a pretty lovely prospect weighing down heavily on people's hype. It's not "jumping to conclusions" to be sad that you and/or other people's favorites might just not be around anymore.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

#BringBackArcticGlaciers isn't very catchy, and there's no gif of an out-of-season hail storm lacking animation frames to call anyone lazy over.

This gimmick is getting tiresome.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bleck posted:

This, and also, what if they just straight up don't bring Mawile/Sableye/Your Favorite Pokemon back? It's a pretty lovely prospect weighing down heavily on people's hype. It's not "jumping to conclusions" to be sad that you and/or other people's favorites might just not be around anymore.
My favorite Pokemon is Venasaur. I know it's a gen 1 starter, and not a particularly unique favorite, but it was my first Pokemon and I think the design is really neat. I adore Venasaur. I played through Pokemon Blue with one.

I then played Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, Black 2, Alpha Sapphire, Moon and Ultra Moon, all without my beloved Venasaur.

Sure I used one in Yellow, Leaf Green, X, and Let's go Eevee, but I have spent the vast majority of my Pokemon time without my favorite Pokemon. It would have been boring as heck if I had used one in every one of those games.

Mawile/Sableye/Your Favorite Pokemon aren't being erased from existence. If they're not in Sword/Shield, then they're just sitting this one out. It's okay. They'll be back.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 4, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
"I don't feel this way, so other people shouldn't!"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Eiba posted:

My favorite Pokemon is Venasaur. I know it's a gen 1 starter, and not a particularly unique favorite, but it was my first Pokemon and I think the design is really neat. I adore Venasaur. I played through Pokemon Blue with one.

I then played Gold, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Platinum, Heart Gold, Black, Black 2, Alpha Sapphire, Moon and Ultra Moon, all without my beloved Venasaur.

Sure I used one in Yellow, Leaf Green, X, and Let's go Eevee, but I have spent the vast majority of my Pokemon time without my favorite Pokemon. It would have been boring as heck if I had used one in every one of those games.

Mawile/Sableye/Your Favorite Pokemon aren't being erased from existence. If they're not in Sword/Shield, then they're just sitting this one out. It's okay. They'll be back.

I mean okay, but just because you don't care that much doesn't mean that other people have to feel the same way.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Also, for the vast majority of those games, you had the choice to use Venusaur, but chose not to.

The removal of choices/options is bad, especially when they don't even have the guts to give a real reason for the exclusion, since it's already been established that the dev time excuse was false.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chill Penguin posted:

Fallacy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the most irritating parts of this being when they choose to limit transfers is that this is the first era where it's become something actually accessible to the majority rather than an incredibly awkward procedure that needs multiple consoles or awful unintuitive interfaces. With Bank in place, XY/SM/ORAS represent the first time it's actually easy as hell to shift pokemon around and might be something that lots more people will start doing than in past, especially if Home makes your online persistent Pokemon collection a more prominent thing with gameplay in it. And just as that happens they limit you from being able to use most of them in the new game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Farecoal posted:

I picked Litten this time and Hau picked Rowlet. Which sucks, I don't want to beat up on the little owl I used to beat Sun :(

Eh gently caress it, I'm gonna restart the game tomorrow and pick Rowlet again, but actually evolve him this time
I can't believe you've chosen a starter 3 times and picked the incorrect choice every single time

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I mean okay, but just because you don't care that much doesn't mean that other people have to feel the same way.
To the guy who has found someone to trade over a Sableye egg to them at the start of every generation since Gen 3 so they can play through the game with a cute little Sableye: My deepest condolences, your love was too pure for this world.

I don't imagine that guy's particularly representative of most folks upset about this.

You can feel however you want, and that's legit. I'm just trying to offer some perspective. You usually can't play through the game with a Sableye. The only difference between Sword/Shield and other games in the series is that you maybe won't be able to use one in the Battle Tower or whatever the post game content is.

I get that the idea of them not being in the game at all gives a sense of loss, and that's a real sense of loss. But it's not going to be that bad in practice.

Think of it like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. Sableye/Mawile/Your Favorite Pokemon weren't in that game. At all. Unless you're a lame person like me with a gen 1 favorite. No one felt especially outraged at that.

And yeah, it's different, it's a weird simplified semi-spin off (even if they call it a mainline game), but if people could think of Pokemon games going forward the same way, I feel there'd be a lot less grief in the community.

Annath posted:

Also, for the vast majority of those games, you had the choice to use Venusaur, but chose not to.

The removal of choices/options is bad, especially when they don't even have the guts to give a real reason for the exclusion, since it's already been established that the dev time excuse was false.
In post-game maybe. I'm pretty sure I used a Venasaur in every game where a Bulbasaur was available before the E4.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pro Click: https://v.redd.it/4nm6xbd4ty731

(The pokemon Kekkai Sensen ED but it's Galar)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Incidentally, this thought has been stewing around in my head since about when Dexit started, but if people get this pissed off about a few Pokemon getting cut due to resource limitations can you imagine what it will be like when people get told they have to cut back on driving/can’t own cars/can’t eat as much meat?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eiba posted:

Gonna go apeshit on this post

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Annath posted:

"The guts," Jesus, like they're hiding it instead of just waiting to show off everything when they intend to rather than caving and releasing information early just to settle the angry fans and their pitchforks. Masuda already explained it.

"We already have well over 800 Pokémon species, and there’s going to be more added in these games. And now that they’re on the Nintendo Switch, we’re creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it’s coming down to the battle system. We’re making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokémon that appear in the games a chance to shine."

I don't know what you heard about dev time but the reasons are there. Whether the fans think those are valid or sufficient is a different story but the decision is made so that doesn't matter. People can post Scorbunny and N64 Trees all they want but hell at the end of the day it's up to Gamefreak. Hell, maybe that "balance" comment is all there is and Pokemon wants to do a MTG-style system where it controls what Pokemon are available and which are not during each generation. It won't make people happy to be sure, but it's possible. Nobody knows and nobody can know until they release more info or the fans get the actual game in their hands. The ones who are still buying it, anyway.

I'm not telling anyone not to be outraged or sad that their best buddy might not be in the game. That's legitimate and by all means pass on Sword/Shield over it. If Breloom doesn't make the cut I am gonna be sad because I've used one since Ruby so I really do get it. But this attitude that Gamefreak are cowards or lazy and the fans must have the moral and intellectual high ground in order to "gotcha" every possible reason they can imagine for why all the Pokemon aren't in there while disregarding the fact that Masuda's already given the reasons is just getting ridiculous.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

You can defend them as much as you like, the thing is that there are good reasons to not believe GF's excuses.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

qnqnx posted:

You can defend them as much as you like, the thing is that there are good reasons to not believe GF's excuses.
Not saying they're telling the unvarnished truth- everything's slanted through corporate speech, obviously- but what's the alternative to "development time"?

What are they hiding?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Eiba posted:

Not saying they're telling the unvarnished truth- everything's slanted through corporate speech, obviously- but what's the alternative to "development time"?

What are they hiding?

Personally, I think they are hiding that they are as a company less interested in developing the Pokemon mainlines and more into new IPs, namely, Town. There are only so many resources and time and Town is looking like it got the most focus.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Personally, I think they are hiding that they are as a company less interested in developing the Pokemon mainlines and more into new IPs, namely, Town. There are only so many resources and time and Town is looking like it got the most focus.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Town does because it essentially represents what Game Freak is capable of without the sum total of 20 years of Pokemon varnish obscuring it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

This here is the disconnect. I never used the word excuse, I specifically said reasons. The angry fans are looking for excuses, Masuda gave reasons. This was a choice. The right one? Who knows, we'll have to see when we get Sword/Shield and Home and find out what's going on in there. But it remains a choice. It's not like they were tightening up the graphics on level 3 and then oh poo poo oh gently caress Dedenne doesn't fit on the cartridge anymore what're we gonna do?

Maybe it IS possible to fit Dedenne on there right now but they foresee a future when there's 2000 Pokemon and Dedenne won't fit so they want to establish the precedent now along with the core game's jump to home consoles that main line games will have a curated selection available while other software like Home will allow for the full National Dex.

Maybe they want to develop bigger and more adventurous game systems without the need to make every single one work with every single monster they've ever designed so they're starting that now rather than waiting for the trimming to become necesary. I don't know. Nobody does. But it's the call they made and those are the reasons.

The angry fans (not you or anyone else here necessarily, I mean the worst and most reactionary types) don't want them to be reasons, they want them to be excuses because excuses can be lies. They want to poke holes in Game Freak's imaginary armor so they can internet detective their way into making Game Freak and Masuda out to be incompetent liars. But as far as I can see among the official information we've received, there's never been a "We can't do this." It's a "we chose to do this." Nobody has to like it or be satisfied with the product they're showing as a result of that choice, but calling for a delay to fit the rest of them in there or calling GF liars because they could totally fit them all in there if they weren't incompetent fucks is missing that.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

So they choose to anger large swathes of the fandom, for no real reason other than potential issues down the line that are still under their control? That is not at all better.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

bro masuda doesn't frequent this forum, it's okay, you can chill

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

qnqnx posted:

So they choose to anger large swathes of the fandom, for no real reason other than potential issues down the line that are still under their control? That is not at all better.
It's not better for everyone but it's just an idea. I am neither a game developer nor a game freak employee, I don't know why they made the choice any more than anyone else on the internet does. The only thing we know for sure is that they made the call because they thought it was best for the game. People are always going to be angry. I still think they'll cool off once we find out what there actually is to do in Sword/Shield and how it'll interact with Home. It's no more or less realistic a conclusion to jump to than the "half the dex gone for a poo poo game that looks like Ocarina of Time because Game Freak can't make games" conclusion people want to jump to but I prefer to stay on the side of optimism.

Pokemon is a lot of two steps forward one step back. We get cool stuff like Secret Bases and the Underground and Pokestar Studios and then they disappear. Dynamax and the Wild Area and Max Raids aren't like those IMO so I think there's something big left to see in Sword/Shield and maybe that's what made them made the choice. Maybe it's camping? Who knows. Either way I'm done theorycrafting for now, people can stay angry. I wanna see more Pokemon.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Blaziken386 posted:

I can't believe you've chosen a starter 3 times and picked the incorrect choice every single time

Primarina's alright but why wouldn't I choose the very very cute owl or the cute kitten

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Primarina's alright but why wouldn't I choose the very very cute owl or the cute kitten
I can accept your love of Rowlet, but Primarina is amazing and Incineroar can't compare

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Grouchio posted:

Pro Click: https://v.redd.it/4nm6xbd4ty731

(The pokemon Kekkai Sensen ED but it's Galar)

The meme thing is funny, but thankfully someone linked the original in that thread and it's super cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjupm5YKvtI

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Eiba posted:

You love it so much that you don’t even know its name

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qnqnx posted:

So dev time is literally the actual reason then?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
just gonna use Sw/Sh to calm down, just spend most of the time petting Wooloo and Yamper. for hours on end. That's what it will be. Just petting Pokemon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The "they want to make other games" thing doesn't hold water. They've been making non-Pokemon titles for several years now. They've talked about giving some of their teams a break from it keeps them from being burnt out on Pokemon as a franchise. Which is perfectly logical, and something people who make creative works for a living generally have to keep themselves on top of.

But that's the thing that keeps coming up, isn't it? No one can no for sure what they've said in interviews, so since they're a business, the idea that they're lying must be the only option in a lot of people's eyes. Point out that this would actually be incredibly foolish, and someone will point at EA and Konami like they prove something about an entirely different group of people. The idea that Game Freak is lying, or dishonest, or has some ulterior motive requires more than theory mongering, it requires hard evidence... and frankly, no one has offered any of it whatsoever.

But then someone can go "why are you defending a corporation" or blindly post that "please be excited for products and purchase more products" macro and act like that wins the argument for them. I'm sorry, but the burden of proof is on y'all, and it's not gonna be found in scrutinizing the scant information we know about stuff like Town and posting the same gifs of Scorbunny and Wingull over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they’re not including some pokémon because i asked them not to