Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I never got why Misty had both a Staryu and a Starmie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Because Misty didn't come here to make friends

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She immigrated from another region and didnt know you could just infinitely buy water stones in kanto.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Carbon dioxide posted:

She likes both, so she keeps both. No especial reason why not. "Competitively" doesn't necessarily apply, especially if you don't actually travel much, and don't have the resources(food and such) to deal with a full team of 6. You catch what's nearby, if possible. Maybe someone MIGHT trade you something from further afield, or you'll take the risk of trying to catch something if and when you go on a trip.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 28, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly though, if you're gonna be competitive with just one type, Water type is the way to go. As long as you ignore the ones that actually look like fish (if you live in the Anime)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've done a Poison monotype run through FireRed/LeafGreen before and it's pretty varied and competitive.

Following up with Bug and eh... Less so.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Lt. Surge has Pikachu and Raichu. Later games heavily imply that Gym Leaders have alternate Pokemon to attune to their challengers based on the number of badges.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Something something Water type Master

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sometimes you need to Star different people.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
He'll Con Until Everything That's Yours Is His

It's been a few updates, and we're still in Vermilion City. Somewhere along the line this lab coat guy appeared by the entrance.

:words:It's me, one of PROF. OAK's AIDES. Did you meet the other AIDE? He had a package from PROF. OAK for you, Kat. He said he'd look for you around ROUTE 2, Kat. If you're in the ROUTE 2 area, please look for him.

Route 2, huh?

Hey, no problem, it's just on the other side of the world map. Just for that, I think I'm going to head east in the exact opposite direction.

Next stop, this place, immediately outside of town. The name sounds familiar, though. Where have I seen...

...Huh. I guess I see what the game's going for.

Time for some spelunking!

:corsair: It goes right to VIRIDIAN CITY, they tell me.

The map would seem to back that up, yes.

It's a tunnel, it's full of dirt.

Dirt, and these critters.

Glemy's HYPER FANG chews them apart pretty quick, as you can see (although they can take a pretty good chunk out of us in turn).

But immediately...

:ssj:

I guess leveling up in the daycare just deferred Glemy's evolution until he was back in my care. Cool.

And fresh off the elation of getting a new 'mon...

...we run into the angry big brothers of the one we just walloped.

They make pretty quick work of Glemy's new form.

They then tear through most of the rest of my team, mainly because the team contains a lowbie Abra, a lowbie Paras, an HM slave... Az puts a stop to it in the end and is rewarded with a shitton of experience.

I then show them who's boss by stuffing another of their little siblings in a ball.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind the thread that if nobody suggests a name for an upcoming Pokemon, I'll have to come up with my own, and you'll get quality names like this one.

i mean he's the right shape and everything, c'mon

Interestingly, you can ride your bike in the lightless depths. That seems unsafe.

Case in point, you might run into burrowing dong-moles and then discover that their special abilities prevent you from running. Or teleporting away with your crappy low-level Abra.

I don't remember what this skill was, but I'm pretty sure I dropped it immediately.

GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE carefully

The tunnel's just a long straight shot up and to the left, eventually ending at this ladder. No branches, no (visible) items.

So... did this tunnel just have naturally occurring light or something? Glowing mushrooms a la the Thief games?

Well, we're here! Cutting down the tree takes us back to our first route of the game, but we're more interested in heading south.

Inside the house here, another labcoat-guy tells us about HMs...

And this kid wants to take Lalah off our hands in exchange for... a mime.

Sorry, Lalah.

:gonk:

what the hell is this thing

why did i give up lalah for this :psyduck:

and is his name supposed to be a reference to the kid from the omen, because that's what i keep thinking of now

We run screaming down the road to the next building.

If your POKEDEX has complete data on ten species, I'm supposed to give you a reward.

:woop:

FLASH lights up even the darkest of caves and dungeons.

Only our newest, uh... acquisition... can learn Flash, though. I guess I need another HM slave to go along with Serf?

I make my way back to Viridian City, where I remember this guy lying around. With the power of deforestation at my disposal, I can reach him now!

:words: I had this weird dream about a DROWZEE eating my dream.

:q: And... I learned how to eat dreams... Oogh, this is too spooky!

Sure!

:doh:

I go ahead and dump the Dream Eater skill on Mimien, which I'm sure will bite me in the rear end later.

The real dream eater was inside him all along.

While I'm over here, out of curiosity I head back towards Victory Road.

I can get past the first room now thanks to the Boulderbadge!

And I can clear this gate because I have the Cascadebadge!

And I can clear this gate because I have the Thunderbadge!

And... Rainbowbadge? What the heck type of Pokemon is that for? :psyduck:

Anyway, this is as far as we go in this direction, so it's time to head back to Cerulean the long way.

On the way we pick up another Nidoran to replace the one we traded.

And then I remember one that got away in Mount Moon.

In the hopes that Mimien won't have me killed in a freak accident I put him at the front of the marching order. He gains levels pretty quick, but most of them seem to be buffs of some kind or another.

Berserk's been warming the bench for a while, but she's still in rock-smashing good form.

When one slap just isn't enough.

By the time he's almost level 20 Mimien's picked up separate physical and special-specific defense buffs. I drop both of them because hey, it's not like this was a one-of-a-kind trade that I could irrevocably ruin, right!?

Anyway, I've spent something like an hour running around in Mt. Moon when I finally resort to checking Bulbapedia, where I learn that the 'Mon I'm after only has a 1% appearance rate on the first floor.

Going downstairs raises the rate to a lofty 5%, which of course means that Clefairy is the second enemy I encounter as soon as I go down the ladder.

No weird mind-control shenanigans this time. Into the ball you go!

I'm sure this is an original joke.

Next stop is the two karate trainers on the path to Cerulean. I'd kinda been hoping to teach one of the moves to Meowth, but it turns out Kai can't learn them. Meanwhile, Berserk is full up on kicks and punches already, and the other candidates have their own niches.

I end up just leaving the both, so I guess we'll be back this way again. Maybe there's a way to climb up those terraces instead of taking the long way around.

Before heading back to Vermilion, I pick up a replacement for Lalah. Maybe I can find something even more horrible to trade this one away for!

A short trip south later, we're right back where we started. Only one place to go from here.

if the rainbowbadge ends up being for the fairy type i don't know if i'll laugh or cry

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

if the rainbowbadge ends up being for the fairy type i don't know if i'll laugh or cry

What the hell is the fairy type? We don't have no fairies in this here town!

Seriously, this game was released before the fairy type existed.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
It's odd to consider after the Boulder, Cascade, and Thunder Badges, the Rainbow, Soul, and Marsh badges have nothing to do with their respective types.

But it makes a great deal more sense if you know that the badges were originally just named after their colors.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, otherwise you'd have gotten one in a trade this update!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You know Drowzee? Name the one you catch Trumpy, who can do stupid things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Scary Face lowers the Speed of whomever you use it against. It's a pretty lame move.

Truthkeeper posted:

But it makes a great deal more sense if you know that the badges were originally just named after their colors.

The starting town's name makes more sense now.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 4, 2019

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The starting town's name makes more sense now.

All of the town names are also colours :eng101:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It seems like the original badge names were used for the locations? Unless the town names were similar in Japanese.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Scary Face lowers the Speed of whomever you use it against. It's a pretty lame move.
But it lowers twice so it's, like, double as good as known OP supermove, String Shot!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: day-care'd Pokemon do not in fact evolve, but you just missed Rattata's evolution by a single level - it evolves at 20. This can have a slight problem - if the evolved form learns a move at the level it evolves, it won't get that. For example, if you delay evolving a Weedle, it won't learn Harden, as Kakuna learns that at Level 7 and only at 7.

They fixed this in more recent gens (starting from 6? Or 5 already?) by coding it differently - the evolved form now learns the move upon evolution, not bound to level. This also allowed them to get more creative with signature moves of evolved forms, they'll now always get them when you evolve them, especially interesting for stone and other evolutions you can control.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It seems like the original badge names were used for the locations? Unless the town names were similar in Japanese.

If you're talking about the Japanese naming scheme they are.
The Boulder Badge was originally the "Gray Badge" and given to you in "Nibi City", named for a Dull Gray color (like Pewter).
The Cascade Badge was originally the "Blue Badge" and given to you in "Hanada City", named for a light blue color (like Cerulean, though Cerulean is dark blue)
The Thunder Badge was originally the "Orange Badge" and given to you in "Kuchiba City", named for a burnt orange color (Which is close to the reddish-orange of Vermilion)

With one exception the pattern continues, all the badges are named for colors (in English) and given in cities named after the same color in Japanese.

The exception is the Rainbow Badge which is the only one little bit more of a stretch. It's called the Rainbow Badge in the original as well and Celadon's Japanese name is "Tamamushi City", named for the iridescent green coloring on the Jewel Beetle which could be called rainbow colored in certain light from certain angles if you're willing to stretch it a little. Meanwhile in America Celadon is a Grayish Green named for a kind of pottery.

Also I may be jumping the gun on this, if you ever do find a big giant sleeping Pokemon and catch it I request it be named Big ZZZam.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man Gen 1 had some poo poo loving NPC trades

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Omnicrom posted:

Also I may be jumping the gun on this, if you ever do find a big giant sleeping Pokemon and catch it I request it be named Big ZZZam.

I suggest Ryu Jose

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

SSNeoman posted:

Mr. Mime is one of those weird "trade only" Pokemon in Gen 1 and 3, you literally can't even find it anywhere in the wild. It's not the worst trade just because anything with the Psychic typing is OP as gently caress in Gen 1 (and fairly strong in FR/LG), but you have to trade an Abra to get one so... yeah.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

Mr. Mime is one of those weird "trade only" Pokemon in Gen 1 and 3, you literally can't even find it anywhere in the wild. It's not the worst trade just because anything with the Psychic typing is OP as gently caress in Gen 1 (and fairly strong in FR/LG), but you have to trade an Abra to get one so... yeah.

That's what I mean, this is the only place to get one and you get a pokemon that's on the wrong side of mediocre.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

It, along with 2 others, you could ONLY get by trade in the US release. Meant that every single Mr. Mime, or one of the others, had their generic NPC trade name forever!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Chronische posted:

It, along with 2 others, you could ONLY get by trade in the US release. Meant that every single Mr. Mime, or one of the others, had their generic NPC trade name forever!

Or until it got into the hands of somebody with a Gameshark. Game Genie? Pro Action Replay? It's been too long, I can't actually remember now what the major cheat device was back then.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I had a Game Boy Game Genie. Didn't have a Gameshark until the PSX. I think GG was more popular in the USA and Pro Action Replay more popular in Europe? But I can't say for certain.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I know I had a game shark. Though for whatever reason it would only actually work with like half of my GBA games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just used Clefairy for the first time recently. This game, in fact. I evolved her, then stored her until I had ready access to elemental TM's and holy crap, she nuked everything she came across. I think it's the only time I had a Normal type in my final party

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Truthkeeper posted:

It's odd to consider after the Boulder, Cascade, and Thunder Badges, the Rainbow, Soul, and Marsh badges have nothing to do with their respective types.

The second two absolutely do...kind of.

They hosed up the names during localization. If you switch Soul and Marsh, they make plenty of sense. They just put in the wrong names during the finalization of things, I guess.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Vandar posted:

They hosed up the names during localization. If you switch Soul and Marsh, they make plenty of sense. They just put in the wrong names during the finalization of things, I guess.

To be fair Gen 1 of Pokemon never really was sure which was the fifth gym and which was the sixth. I've seen it both ways. That the bumbled up the badges is likely a side effect of that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

To be fair Gen 1 of Pokemon never really was sure which was the fifth gym and which was the sixth. I've seen it both ways. That the bumbled up the badges is likely a side effect of that.

You're meant to head south to Fuschia after getting the flute and get that badge, then loop back up to Saffron and grab that one. The anime just messed the order up because the season one anime was weird as poo poo and did it's own thing.

At least, that's how I see it, and the badge screen in-game backs that order up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The anime is weird because Ash challenges Sabrina before Erika, let alone Koga.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Vandar posted:

Not a localization issue, they had completely different names in the Japanese version, being the Gold and Pink badges. Now, you could suggest that they screwed up assigning the new names they made up, but that just seems unlikely.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Truthkeeper posted:

Not a localization issue, they had completely different names in the Japanese version, being the Gold and Pink badges. Now, you could suggest that they screwed up assigning the new names they made up, but that just seems unlikely.

That's what I'm trying to say.

When they finalized the new names, they probably just wrote them down in the wrong spaces.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Vandar posted:

You're meant to head south to Fuschia after getting the flute and get that badge, then loop back up to Saffron and grab that one. The anime just messed the order up because the season one anime was weird as poo poo and did it's own thing.

At least, that's how I see it, and the badge screen in-game backs that order up.

On the other hand there were official periodicals and bits of artwork including stuff in Nintendo Power that Put Koga as sixth.

However it went I think we can all agree Gen 1 was kind of a mess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gen I was a complete and utter mess but the marketing surrounding it was so unbelievably good and strong that we didn't notice and got caught up in it and managed to stay fans until the series got good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing that according to the OP there's no spoiler policy I'm not gonna bother wrapping everything in spoiler tags - it just makes everything more annoying to read.

On my original playthrough of Red, when I was a little kid and my English was still terrible, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get into Saffron. It ended up being the 7th badge I got and it was very easy because I was way overlevelled.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

Man, I was all excited about the chance to show that I Know Things About Pokemon, and then this happened. :eng99:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I second a certain heavy sleeper being named Big ZZZam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

AweStriker posted:

I second a certain heavy sleeper being named Big ZZZam.

I was gonna go with Sr. Fluff, but I’m gonna third BigZZZam