Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

slidebite posted:

Totally anecdotal but my mother's last two vehicles were x rental units and both have been absolutely trouble-free. Mitsubishi RVR and a grand am before that.

You had me up until the second sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

In other news, WITNESS ME, BLOODBAGS

The hero AI deserves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dagen H posted:

You had me up until the second sentence.
The even crazier part? My wife bought the Grand Am off her, we put another 50K on it with no issues, and sold it to our niece after that. AFAIK it's still on the road.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
People are offering to pay me to fix their cars, how much do I charge them? I feel weird taking money from family for what I'd consider a favor, but the money offer is really appreciated

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

People are offering to pay me to fix their cars, how much do I charge them? I feel weird taking money from family for what I'd consider a favor, but the money offer is really appreciated

$40/hour for strangers
$80/hour for friends
$160/hour for family

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

HandlingByJebus posted:

...it actually just exploded and took the house with it...

Let's not tempt fate by saying this on the SAME PAGE we're still talking about Tremek's experience.

Powershift posted:

$40/hour for strangers
$80/hour for friends
$160/hour for family

This man knows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

$40/hour for strangers
$80/hour for friends
$160/hour for family

This applies to computer janitoring too.

If it's my stepdad, I include the driving time (3.5 hours each way), because it's always something I explicitly told him not to touch. Like the patch panel he decided to monkey with the other day (thank gently caress mom knows how to do video calling on her phone... and that I had everything clearly labeled).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

STR posted:

This applies to computer janitoring too.

If it's my stepdad, I include the driving time (3.5 hours each way), because it's always something I explicitly told him not to touch. Like the patch panel he decided to monkey with the other day (thank gently caress mom knows how to do video calling on her phone... and that I had everything clearly labeled).

Ugh family tech support. Thank God for TeamViewer and SSDs.

I made the in-laws buy a brother LaserJet mfp around Christmas and haven't heard a word about it yet. So thank God for that too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You made them buy a brother HP LaserJet? I guess it has a sister? :v:

I left my parents my old Samsung laser printer (pre-HP Samsung) - the drat thing is 8 years old and just keeps going. Mom has a stand-alone Canon scanner; thankfully one with function buttons on the front, because she uses it so rarely that she forgets how it works. I finally got off my rear end and got a Brother laser MFP last year; the care and feeding of my old dumpster-find Canon inkjet MFP was stupid expensive, and GF's "you're supposed to take the ink out before storing it in a 120+ degree garage for a year?" Epson MFP is expensive to run... when it's not clogged.

TeamViewer has made my life a lot easier. Until someone goes loving around with physical wiring (not pointing fingers [stepdad]).

Whenever my old Samsung dies, I'll get them a Brother laser MFP. By far the most painless printer I've had, aside from the wifi on it (mine only does 2.4 GHz despite being a pretty recent model :mad:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 4, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

This is the worst idea anybody has ever had ever.

In other news, WITNESS ME, WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG WINDBAG

:colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I feel like I'm missing something here...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Let's not tempt fate by saying this on the SAME PAGE we're still talking about Tremek's experience.

I’d say too soon, but

Is apparently my life now

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Door Frame posted:

Powershift is a windbag

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Door Frame posted:

Look at the engine bay. Now look at the lineup against the wall in the background. What do you notice about their approximate relative dimensions?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tremek posted:

I’d say too soon, but

Is apparently my life now

Why do I have Billy Joel stuck in my head now :sigh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

Look at the engine bay. Now look at the lineup against the wall in the background. What do you notice about their approximate relative dimensions?

I'm going to jump straight to "powershift is going to fuckle those 2 V8s into that truck"?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm going to jump straight to "powershift is going to fuckle those 2 V8s into that truck"?

There is only one V8 in that picture, and that's not a truck. You seem to be on the right track, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
June was a bad month for E63 AMGs

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

STR posted:

Why do I have Billy Joel stuck in my head now :sigh:

Yeah well I’d trade a lot to not be in this situation, 0/5 stars.

Taking the kids to Great Wolf Lodge for the holiday. They have been really awesome this week and we need a break from staying with the in-laws. Rottie is with my dad who loves him for the foreseeable future, hoping we can get some clarity early next week on next steps.

Oh and work which has been fantastic still needs me to present to a room of executives for a multi billion dollar corporation next Wednesday, so I guess I’m buying a new suit tomorrow maybe? As everything I own reeks of fire musk. It’s so bad I have to try to not retch when I open the front door to the house.

nm posted:

June was a bad month for E63 AMGs

Hope that one can get back on the road, but if not it probably did its job protecting occupants.

The insurance adjuster for Ameriprise (car, not house insurance) called me on Tuesday and said she had Googled the fire, and was like uh yeah I’m not even going to need to send an appraiser out to you, I’m sorry this happened etc etc.

Yesterday I got a hug from a random Petsmart employee, and a dog food rep insisted on buying a couple of bags of treats to send home to my dad’s. On the whole people have been really amazing and I’m so appreciative of the friends and family and community we’re fortunate to have.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 4, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tremek posted:

Yesterday I got a hug from a random Petsmart employee, and a dog food rep insisted on buying a couple of bags of treats to send home to my dad’s. On the whole people have been really amazing and I’m so appreciative of the friends and family and community we’re fortunate to have.

You must be good people Tremek, sorry this poo poo has landed on your doorstep :/

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You must be good people Tremek, sorry this poo poo has landed on your doorstep :/

Thanks. I sort of flippantly said to my wife yesterday, “maybe [re: our friends’ response] this means people don’t think we’re total assholes!”

I feel pretty pathetic right now though. Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t a good look.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

Thanks. I sort of flippantly said to my wife yesterday, “maybe [re: our friends’ response] this means people don’t think we’re total assholes!”

I feel pretty pathetic right now though. Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night isn’t a good look.

Nobody here has ever questioned your good-people-ness. But I'll reiterate -- that is trauma and you're still in shock. Have a soft landing spot picked out for yourself and the family. Stay strong, but know you don't have to hold everything together yourself.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tremek posted:

loving text me if you need to vent man. You've got my number. You've been there for me through the whole loving poo poo I've been through - you are good people.
If you need a vacay, come on up to Northern Ontario. We'll find some fun to have for the whole family.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tremek posted:

I cant think of a single thing you've done in recent times that would categories you as "Arsehole". You and your family have been amazingly good people.

As Mr Pimp said, you've gone through trauma and thats gonna cause a reaction. Crying in the middle of the night is nothing to be ashamed of. I spent 5 years driving a 15km detour around a particular piece of road that I assisted in trying to save a mans life after a truck accident. He didnt make it, Im still carrying an injury from that attempt and that stuck with me. Its nothing to be ashamed of, it doesnt make you 'less of a man', it just makes you human.

Take care of your family AND yourself. If you need to vent to people, We're all here for you if you need us, even us random people from the other side of the globe.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

As long as you aren't secretly moving heroin or something, I can safely say that you qualify as Good PeopleTM
Let the emotions out man

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893240

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hot take: The only thing worse than the illuminated star option on the new Mercedes cars is the illuminated kidney grille on the new BMW X6.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Tremek posted:

Randomly crying in the hotel bathroom in the middle of the night is a good look. It's a better look than "bottle it up and have it escape randomly as bursts of intense anger", which is your other choice, and is a lot worse.

They don't teach us how to deal with this stuff, man. It's ok. You are no less a man / person for feeling helpless or overwhelmed or scared or hurt or angry or anything else you feel. Loss is hard, especially when it comes so close to things / people you actually care about.

If you don't have a therapist / psychologist / counselor, find one. For the family too. Being able to talk to somebody neutral whose brain isn't telling them the same lies that your brain is telling you really helps. Has helped me a lot, at least.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tremek posted:

Thanks for posting this by the way. More guys need to realize it's good and normal to cry under stress, and if we never talk about it, it won't change.

It's not pathetic BTW, but I know exactly how you feel because I've been there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jonny Nox posted:

Thanks for posting this by the way. More guys need to realize it's good and normal to cry under stress, and if we never talk about it, it won't change.

It's not pathetic BTW, but I know exactly how you feel because I've been there.

I cry all the loving time. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of being human. You know all the fake tough guys you see that always brag about how tough they are? Fake. Real tough guys know that there's always someone tougher than you.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Hot take: The only thing worse than the illuminated star option on the new Mercedes cars is the illuminated kidney grille on the new BMW X6.

Oh for fucks sake. This tackiness arms war needs to end.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

meatpimp posted:

I cry all the loving time. It's not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of being human. You know all the fake tough guys you see that always brag about how tough they are? Fake. Real tough guys know that there's always someone tougher than you.
Hay guyZ check out cry boy here, real men hide their emotions until it gets too much and either hit the booze, drugs or partner hard :smug:

I hate the stigma over male mental health and the whole stiff upper lip bullshit.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

For me it's never been a macho thing, just that you get so wrapped up in being dad/husband/big brother/whatever your own emotions get put on the backburner and then you find yourself picking weird fights or shutting down because your brain and body need the attention.

And that's where my socialization kicks in because I feel guilty for being selfish.

Anyways my neighbor down the street has a pickup with a "gently caress off we're full" sticker on the back. Which was cool because then I can explain to my kids the concept of "not worth talking to" Girl who drives it looks exactly like you think she would.

But sometimes the Truck is gone and there's an AMC Javelin there so now I'm conflicted.

So yeah, Alberta problems.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I guess a designer at BMW realized people weren't suffering the kidney grille at night

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Galler posted:

I guess a designer at BMW realized people weren't suffering the kidney grille at night

And it's done in such a cheap and lovely way so others are just going to be sticking LED strips behind the grilles and it'll be a thing. :barf:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Now picture it with a bent slat.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's so even at night you know the person tailgating you is better than you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

It's so even at night you know the person tailgating you is better than you.

So when's Audi gonna start doing it?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I mean it was HIDZ, until every ole car got them
Then LED accent/DRL lights, until every ole car got the
Now it's backlit grills, and I'm not looking forward to a glowing Toyota grill in my rear-view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean it was HIDZ, until every ole car got them
Then LED accent/DRL lights, until every ole car got the
Now it's backlit grills, and I'm not looking forward to a glowing Toyota grill in my rear-view

Buckle up, buttercup.