Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Why on Earth would you make a new edition and not call it 14th Age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

13th Again

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Capfalcon posted:

Go in reverse order, go with 12th Age.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Book of Ages handles most of the earlier ages. Also, 13 is an auspicious number in the system.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

Royalties don’t really exist in the rpg industry.

There are typically three models for payment.

1. Payment by word. Publisher pays you X cents/word for whatever you write. I've seen as little as 1 cent and as high as 25 cents.

This is the most common.

2. Payment by project. Publisher agrees to pay you $X for the completed project. Usually this is tied to an approximate word count, but neither side has to quibble when the author invariably goes over the word count.

3. Payment by royalties. Usually this occurs when a (small) publisher can't pay up front. Instead, you get a percentage of sales for the work you do.

Since royalties never go away, most publishers prefer the up front sunk cost by Word or by Project.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Capfalcon posted:

Because every 14th Icon is bland as hell or a version of an extant icon with more spikes or lens flares.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
What, not 13.5th Age?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Age M.E.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Razorwired posted:

Because every 14th Icon is bland as hell or a version of an extant icon with more spikes or lens flares.

Can you even get more spikes on the Crusader.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
put spikes on the spikes

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Red Metal posted:

put spikes on the spikes

The spikes menace with spikes. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Night10194 posted:

Can you even get more spikes on the Crusader.

Laser Spikes

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

13th ReimAgened

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What, not 13.5th Age?

Winner

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Lets be honest, 13th Age's worst elements is all of the "well, we can't be too different from 3.5 D&D because reasons" crap. M.A.D. Monks, Fighter Manuevers being unreliable, "boring" classes like Ranger and Paladin, etc. Having Tweet exiled to the "forgotten place" is the best chance to rid the game of these cancerous elements and make the game we all expected and got hyped over.

As such, it will never happen. And, if it does, they will keep all that crap in there because "reasons."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Covok posted:

Lets be honest, 13th Age's worst elements is all of the "well, we can't be too different from 3.5 D&D because reasons" crap. M.A.D. Monks, Fighter Manuevers being unreliable, "boring" classes like Ranger and Paladin, etc. Having Tweet exiled to the "forgotten place" is the best chance to rid the game of these cancerous elements and make the game we all expected and got hyped over.

As such, it will never happen. And, if it does, they will keep all that crap in there because "reasons."

It does sell better than making a good game. Pathfinder proved it, 5e proved it

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like 13th age, i ran a couple of campaigns with it and played in a couple, but i wish theyd just released more books for it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mister Olympus posted:

It does sell better than making a good game. Pathfinder proved it, 5e proved it

Bad mechanics also provide a lot of the nostalgic "feel" that old school (but not older than 3.x) gamers cling to like drowning sailors.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i like 13th age, i ran a couple of campaigns with it and played in a couple, but i wish they'd just released more books for it.

You mean you wish books would come out more often? I ask because someone said something similar a while ago, and it turned out they didn't realize how many books were out there (or that we were still making new ones.)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

waderockett posted:

You mean you wish books would come out more often? I ask because someone said something similar a while ago, and it turned out they didn't realize how many books were out there (or that we were still making new ones.)

i know theres a lot of adventures and stuff but i wish there were more bestiaries or class books like 13 true ways.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like at this point I'd be okay with a second edition of 13th Age that builds on the good stuff and replaces a lot of the bad stuff.

Like, seriously, what's even up with icon relationships?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Just hire Ashley on full time and give her all of the moneys for making cool classes imo waderockett

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Icons either need significantly more detailed mechanics or they need their mechanics completely removed and for the relationship descriptions you come up with to be a wholly fluff thing.

As it is they're in this weird place where they have almost no actual mechanics, and then suddenly your Icon Relationships are randomly part of one of your class abilities or Talents or something, but only briefly and to little avail.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My problem is more that a lot of the adventures seem to expect you to use them, or have them on hand, way more often than you will actually have them available as far as my understanding of the math goes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like having a slim system where you have two books and each contains a few classes and only options for those classes, and you won't get sidelined by some variant class from a book that wasn't even on your radar. Not saying there couldn't be three or even four books, but I like having a slim system.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm running a campaign for folks who haven't rpg'ed before in 5th edition. We've had one session and it went well, but it also left me wondering if I could just pop in some 13th Age rules like the escalation die, the distance rules, and the more gamey rests. Anyone have any experience or advice, or am I good just jamming it right in there?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i'd like to play more 13th age. In the last campaign i ran I had a GM NPC who only had a very minor role in helping the party, but i thought he would make a really cool PC character. The campaign was about tracking down pieces of a fallen star that had broken up as it fell and was distorting reality wherever the bits landed. It alternated between whimsy and cosmic horror cause I figured distorted reality could be both.

The party had already got one of the pieces, from where it landed on a farm and had corrupted the farm and nearby town. 3 out of the 5 party members had smoked from Necronon's Greater Bone Bong of Slaying, a cursed necromantic hookah that seamlessly killed and reanimated the smoker as undead, in order to deal with the mutagenic effects of getting close to the comet. One of the two who didn't smoke ended up having his eyes explode and spray everyone with acid when he rolled really badly on the mutation table i wrote up, poor guy.

The shard had been eaten by a horse, who had become a hideous semi-humanoid mutant, but the party won. I was surprised i managed to make the concept of mutant farm animals unsettling and threatening instead of goofy, which is how i was worried it would come off.

Anyway the next shard had been found by wizards, who had taken it to a magical laboratory underneath a major city. naturally it was a very bad idea, and the party had to navigate THE SEWERSSSS to reach it as the main entrance had been sealed off. They met an unusually ugly goblin there, who turned out to be a Diurd (die-urd), a reverse druid who had been created when the star fragment energy affected a normal otyugh.

The otyugh now had the power to turn into a humanoid, in order to defend civilization and cities from the encroaching threat of nature. the party ended up defending him rather than fighting him when they proved to him that they were civilised people (by showing him their fine manufactured goods), and he helped guide them to a secret room where they could find some supplies.

he didn't get used after that, but I thought it would be really cool to play him as a13th age druid, cause Shifter Adept gets to turn into beastform at will, so I could use that to represent his natural otyugh form. IDK which of the other talents I was going to take to represent his City focus.

but then the group I was playing with switched to dungeonworld, then switched to being too lazy to run games.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i know theres a lot of adventures and stuff but i wish there were more bestiaries or class books like 13 true ways.

If you haven't picked up Book of Ages and/or Book of Demons yet, those have lots of monsters and player content (including a demonologist class).

I didn't expect Book of Ages to be one of my favorite 13th Age supplements, but I use it more than any of the other non-hardcover books.

The large number of adventures is almost entirely due to ASH cranking out organized play adventures in the early days. Pelgrane tells me adventures sell the least, so they aren't as interested in publishing them as they are making new supplements.

MollyMetroid posted:

Just hire Ashley on full time and give her all of the moneys for making cool classes imo waderockett

Oh dang, everyone should check out Ashely's Patreon.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My group is at the start of level 5, playing a mix of Stone Thief and battle scenes books encounters, and I have to say: the system is steadily getting pretty drat swingy, and the balance on the battle scenes encounters is seriously out of whack, with several double-strength encounters for a 4 strong party being more the equivalent of 10 PCs than 8 by the balancing table and a steady flow of enemies that can get you from full HP to for-keeps-dead in a single errant crit. I ran two of those mini adventures for my party yesterday and they got wiped out in each one. It's getting more than a bit unsatisfying. I think if we were less patient with each other as a long-time player group it would have ended the campaign right there. I thought these were specifically for running straight out of the box.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Hey would anyone have a good idea for what stats to use for a bunch of dwarven mercenaries (one of whom is a punchy wizard) on lvl 1? Its okay if the stats are more silly than threatening, the last battle the party had was a big one, and I'd like a palate cleanser. The party has gotten two incrementals and is going to go up a level soon, so the pcs are getting a bit beefier already. The fight is also probably going to be essentially a bar fight.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Hey would anyone have a good idea for what stats to use for a bunch of dwarven mercenaries (one of whom is a punchy wizard) on lvl 1? Its okay if the stats are more silly than threatening, the last battle the party had was a big one, and I'd like a palate cleanser. The party has gotten two incrementals and is going to go up a level soon, so the pcs are getting a bit beefier already. The fight is also probably going to be essentially a bar fight.

There’s a street brawl with some dwarfs in Shadows of Eldolan

Sorry if it’s a bit hard to read, I took a picture using awful app and it downgraded the quality a bit. The book suggests six dwarves vs 5 PCs, or 5 dwarves vs 4 PCs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

I'm running a campaign for folks who haven't rpg'ed before in 5th edition. We've had one session and it went well, but it also left me wondering if I could just pop in some 13th Age rules like the escalation die, the distance rules, and the more gamey rests. Anyone have any experience or advice, or am I good just jamming it right in there?

* The devs have stated that they had to set defenses to be 1 higher than they "normally" should be, to account for escalation die. You're probably still just good not doing that

* Keep in mind that in 13th Age (much as in D&D 4e), the attacker is always rolling against the defender's defense, even for spells and magical effects. If you were to port the die over to D&D 5e, you'd have to either make the escalation die apply to the DC of a spell/effect, or invert the saving throw system

* Distance rules are probably fine to just chuck in there

* Gamey rests are probably fine to just chuck in there

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a street brawl with some dwarfs in Shadows of Eldolan

Sorry if it’s a bit hard to read, I took a picture using awful app and it downgraded the quality a bit. The book suggests six dwarves vs 5 PCs, or 5 dwarves vs 4 PCs.

That's a pretty good baseline there. Need to change the +16 thing to something else (because bar instead of a pier), but otherwise those fit perfectly for a group of drunk dwarf mercs - still need the punchy wizard I suppose, but fiddling with the defenses and hp a bit and giving them a special ability should be good enough for a bar brawl. Thanks!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm finally getting to play again and it's gonna be a gnome chaos mage who is the polymorphed right hand of an infamous ogre mage. Like, literally his right hand. He cast so many obscure spells with it it gained magic powers of its own, then it got chopped off in a climactic battle with the heroes of the empire.

Should go without saying that the polymorphed left hand is still out there somewhere, too.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Shine on you crazy diamond.
-
I'm just having a tough time getting combat to feel fair. I had a magic user that destoryed entire squads with good roll. Sure it makes enough sense but it didn't leave much for my other players to do. I was exclusively building combat around them just to have it last more than a round or two. The issue was that if they rolled poorly, the fights were way too difficult.

The party composition is a little different now but I just can't get a feel on difficulty.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm finally getting to play again and it's gonna be a gnome chaos mage who is the polymorphed right hand of an infamous ogre mage. Like, literally his right hand. He cast so many obscure spells with it it gained magic powers of its own, then it got chopped off in a climactic battle with the heroes of the empire.

Should go without saying that the polymorphed left hand is still out there somewhere, too.

this is one of the best character concepts i've ever heard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aw shucks. I hope I can do it justice. I started out with "ogre mage's living spellbook" but then I thought of Twin Peaks and, well, if it's worth going crazy it's worth going really crazy.

First thing I'll do is talk the DM into getting the according background bonus to disguising myself, citing the ogre mage's well known fondness of hand puppets.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aw shucks. I hope I can do it justice. I started out with "ogre mage's living spellbook" but then I thought of Twin Peaks and, well, if it's worth going crazy it's worth going really crazy.

First thing I'll do is talk the DM into getting the according background bonus to disguising myself, citing the ogre mage's well known fondness of hand puppets.

So long as you turn into a fleshy tree during the last third of the campaign you should do it justice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Glover was a weird game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
On Saturday during a panel discussion at Gencon they were supposed to talk about upcoming 13th Age books. Does anyone have any information?