Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Magnetic tape was first used as recording in 1951. 68 years ago. Punch cards were used to program, not as data storage.

So not true. I worked with a sociologist on a survey in the 1980s, and he pointed out that his data sets on punch cards lasted decades, while his data sets on magnetic tape had to be re-copied every few years because of changes in tape formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lambert posted:

But even though they try their best to hide it, you can still clearly see there's only half a slice of cheese on that burger.

No joke, I'm kinda sorta tempted to make a fast-food review blog that rates items based on the level of visual disparity between promotional shots, with what is actually received.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

No joke, I'm kinda sorta tempted to make a fast-food review blog that rates items based on the level of visual disparity between promotional shots, with what is actually received.

Been done like 500 times

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I love the beauty of arguing digital storage has better archival qualities than books by assuming it is also stored on paper.

How can you say a book last longer when you can print code in a book?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

You just posted incomprehensible garbage. Would you care to rephrase that into something that makes sense?

Mah immutable datah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mah immutable datah

Zip disks still work great today, the problem was a roughly 18 month period of bad drives being manufactured, which posed the risk of actively damaging the storage media. Because Iomega had chosen to cut costs by deleting a component specifically meant to prevent the method of destruction involved (essentially a small plastic cog that would prevent components of the magnetic heads from being knocked out of alignment in such a way that they can damage disks).

Trabisnikof posted:

I love the beauty of arguing digital storage has better archival qualities than books by assuming it is also stored on paper.

That you still aren't getting it yet is kind of mind boggling. Once you have the digital book, you can spit it out to tons of different formats and literally all over the world. In order to do the same with a physical book, which is easy to destroy or lose, you first have to make it digital.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 4, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

The fact digital formats are portable enough that even if paper is the one true storage medium having something digital means you can step it down to analog copies with very little effort is also an advantage yes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why not have passive data refreshers included inside of storage drives

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What does that mean, though? Having a built-in RAID system?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fishmech posted:

That you still aren't getting it yet is kind of mind boggling. Once you have the digital book, you can spit it out to tons of different formats and literally all over the world. In order to do the same with a physical book, which is easy to destroy or lose, you first have to make it digital.

Even checking the wiki for “the printing press” would show you can copy a book into different formats without digitizing it first.

Imagine being so computer obsessed that you think it was impossible to make copies of a book and send it all over the world before digital technology.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

When you try to engage in good faith I will bother expanding on a quick shitpost point and any history actually using paper and tape for mainframes that will show Im the one that belongs in a museum

Now on the other hand.....

In case what I was more referring to is the more traditional punch card batching with output / storage to tape. The claim that Fishmech was trying to make was patently absurd esp with tapes being such a prevalent datastore pretty much from the beginning of Big Iron esp IBM formats. Sure punch and paper have been used alongside and I used it going back to the mid 1970s. gently caress sorting a pile of cards if some doofus dropped them..... part of my first job after high school was batch card processing and archiving. Which got interesting if you had to refer to something created three years prior.

Annnnd oh boy do I hear you on the problems of cassettes. I really hated trying to work out my own Space Invaders or Joust clones all for ten minute attempts to save go wrong. I think I even have some of those tapes around....now I kinda wonder if the old Microbees still boot? I know my old Apple II disks are unreadable thinking of bitrot

I coded my first published game at Avalon Hill during the summer of 1980, with an Apple II that only had a tape drive. One day the tape wouldn't load. I went out and bought a "transcription quality" cassette player and got the game to load. From that point on, multiple backups.

Kudos for Commodore for having a tape drive built into the PET that was pretty darn reliable.

Avalon Hill shipped the game with ALL the versions on a single cassette.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lemon towelettes.

e: Somewhere in a college box I still have love letters from my then-current boyfriend. On paper tape because I'd run out of storage. Betcha anything that paper tape has succumbed to the ravages of time; it wasn't expensive paper.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trabisnikof posted:

Even checking the wiki for “the printing press” would show you can copy a book into different formats without digitizing it first.

Imagine being so computer obsessed that you think it was impossible to make copies of a book and send it all over the world before digital technology.

That's some real galaxy brain stuff, "just manually forge a bunch of type to copy your book like it's 1587, this is a viable way to make a large volume of copies".

Might blow your mind but the presses books get run on these days work from computers. Because that's a far more useful way to coordinate multinational or even mere cross country releases.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Me, an idiot: books last for decades unless something bad happens to them, and the equipment needed to read them comes standard on most humans.
Fishmesh, the smartest boy in the room: they would definitely last longer and be superior as digital punched cards because magnetic media isn't reliable, this proves my point that you should store digital copies on magnetic media.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Magnetic media is reliable. Also Magnetic media lasts decades "unless something bad happens to them" already. Also Digital storage isn't just magnetic and has never been just magnetic in history on top of it all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So not true. I worked with a sociologist on a survey in the 1980s, and he pointed out that his data sets on punch cards lasted decades, while his data sets on magnetic tape had to be re-copied every few years because of changes in tape formats.

My next post in reply to VideoGame Veteran shows I know that :). That will explain why it was a quick poo poo post deliberatly short on nuance but highlighing Fishmech is a bad faith posting fuckwit who had no idea mainframes have been using magnetic media since the beginning

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My next post in reply to VideoGame Veteran shows I know that :). That will explain why it was a quick poo poo post deliberatly short on nuance but highlighing Fishmech is a bad faith posting fuckwit who had no idea mainframes have been using magnetic media since the beginning
Mainframes existed in commercial use before magnetic media to use with them existed. This is not controversial in the least and it's really weird that you're trying to deny this?

And then of course you deny the ongoing use of non-magentic media in whole or in part for quite some time after the magnetic media did exist. Which is also weird.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

fishmech posted:

Jesus christ this may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

Jesus christ this may be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen

gutenbergs famous invention, the electric printer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sage Grimm posted:

What does that mean, though? Having a built-in RAID system?

you have 1 drive layered ontop of another with a slow crawl of data being moved from 1 layer to the next. Obviously eventually more power will be needed to keep the process going

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

you have 1 drive layered ontop of another with a slow crawl of data being moved from 1 layer to the next. Obviously eventually more power will be needed to keep the process going

That makes absolutely no sense and introduces more points of failure.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine four hard drives on the edge of a cliff...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PT6A posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down, and you see a hard drive, writing itself to a backup. You kick sand on the drive's solar panel. The drive lies there, frantically trying to seek as it gasps for power, but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down, and you see a hard drive, writing itself to a backup. You kick sand on the drive's solar panel. The drive lies there, frantically trying to seek as it gasps for power, but it can't, not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

Because I'm fishmech

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I've replied in ways you people wouldn't believe. Bullshit from a liar on dead forums. I read endless replies that all bounce off my thick as gently caress skull. All those words are useless, like water off a ducks back. Time to post.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

RAID works the same way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So if a bit is lost the copy will just copy the loss?
Practically, what you're describing is basically any back-up system: periodically you make a copy of the data you want to back up, and in the event of failure you default to the back-up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So if a bit is lost the copy will just copy the loss?
Practically, what you're describing is basically any back-up system: periodically you make a copy of the data you want to back up, and in the event of failure you default to the back-up.

You can never have enough copies of Loss.jpg.

Some say it's often harder on the backup system.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

You can never have enough copies of Loss.jpg.

Some say it's harder on the backup system.

Abortion, Retry, Fail?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Abortion, Retry, Fail?

You want the keyboard shortcut: B^U

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Whatever, everyone knows that microfiche is the truest and best storage medium.

You can have your musty books! Keep your magnetic drives in the brightly lit computer labs!

I will be in the basement, going over very very tiny pictures on large bulky machines.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

VideoGameVet posted:

Every survivor of the Great Climate-Culling will be required to memorize a book of their choosing and teach a replacement before they die.
I let out a final gasp, dying in despair, for mankind will never again know the simple beauty of The Oral History of The Daily Show

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

Every survivor of the Great Climate-Culling will be required to memorize a book of their choosing and teach a replacement before they die.

The Bible

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Same except I've substituted my brother's name wherever Jesus is mentioned.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

No one getting my clever literary reference. :-(

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VideoGameVet posted:

It was Fahrenheit 451.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

MickeyFinn posted:

It was Fahrenheit 451.

Burn!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

:regd08:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

Obvuously you didnt read the book because the lilies were a reference to the bible. Montag tried to remember the words...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Obvuously you didnt read the book because the lilies were a reference to the bible. Montag tried to remember the words...

I forgot this. Read the book as a teen. The film (original) probably confused me.