Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Click through, it’s two parts. Appears to be a lecture on PPE, and drat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lwmGcU2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw a demonstration like that when we had a safety day on base and the power company came out. Showed that a tiny hole inside a protective glove allowed electricity to go right through it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Anyone else here do any live-work on PLC/HMI-driven heavy hydraulic equipment? I am so sketched out by this stuff, I felt like I got passed the hot potato nobody else wants to be accountable for

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rad-daddio posted:

I'm getting really tired of all these bad home repairs.

I tried to find a tyre manufacturer whose name is a bit like Grover but found none :(

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried to find a tyre manufacturer whose name is a bit like Grover but found none :(

Groveryear?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They did.

Edit: Linked to avoid destroying tables.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of OSHA, I was on a site yesterday and the Ministry Of Labour showed up.

Among other things, he asked to see my Utility locates, which I produced, and said "show me the electrical locate".
Showed it to him, he was satisfied, and continued to berate someone else on the site. Just for the hell of it I was all "do you want to see the locate for Gas as well"?

He was all, "nah, don't need to see that one". :catstare:

Like, I kinda get it. Drilling through underground electrical could be immediately fatal, whereas gas, maybe not if there are no sources of ignition, but if there are, then the consequences for a gas strike can be SOOOO much worse.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

CleverHans posted:

"OSHA: Is he wearing safety shorts? "

The problem is we can never change the thread title

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about "OSHA: Traindriving, ironforging, truckfuckling badasses in safety shorts"?

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

How did they catch the motorcycle guy who supposedly caused the accident? I didn’t think the video was good enough quality to see the license plate

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I do the slight left turn before turning right thing sometimes. I think it's because I played a lot of Euro Truck Simulator before I learned to drive for real.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Piggy Smalls posted:

How did they catch the motorcycle guy who supposedly caused the accident? I didn’t think the video was good enough quality to see the license plate

I dunno, but it is kinda hosed up to learn the car crossed the double yellow into him, then attempted to ram him, and was not held even partly responsible.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Piggy Smalls posted:

Fun fact: there's actually a huge network that tracks you by license plate across the country.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kazy posted:

Fun fact: there's actually a huge network that tracks you by license plate across the country.

There are actually cameras that track you based on the map of your cardiovascular system highlighted by the fluoride in your blood from the fluoride in the water and they also use it for mind control to make you consume more under capitalism.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

There are actually cameras that track you based on the map of your cardiovascular system highlighted by the fluoride in your blood from the fluoride in the water and they also use it for mind control to make you consume more under capitalism.

Foreign substances in our precious bodily fluids is a Communist plot. :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Does the homogas my Zionist neighbour pumps into my apartment through the electrical outlets interfere with the tracking?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powershift posted:

Is this why I keep buying Hello Kitty blind bags? I don't even want them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At this point I just assume anyone not wearing their seatbelt in a car is fine with dying. Every single fatal accident I've seen where the car wasn't utterly destroyed is "The fatality was someone not wearing their seatbelt, who was ejected and run over/smashed their head through the windshield/got partially ejected and decapitated when the side of the car scraped the road. The passenger was wearing their seatbelt and suffered minor injuries."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Growing up late 70s/early 80s, there was this sort of conventional wisdom that seatbelts cost more lives than they saved. The explanations as to why were vague and dumb, but it was a very stupid time, unlike now which is also a stupid time but we have internet.

What I'm getting at is I absolutely don't get why people don't wear seat belts these days. Back then, we had reasons, even though they were bad.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

chitoryu12 posted:

At this point I just assume anyone not wearing their seatbelt in a car is fine with dying. Every single fatal accident I've seen where the car wasn't utterly destroyed is "The fatality was someone not wearing their seatbelt, who was ejected and run over/smashed their head through the windshield/got partially ejected and decapitated when the side of the car scraped the road. The passenger was wearing their seatbelt and suffered minor injuries."

I remember when the mandatory seatbelt law was very new in CA and I didn't understand what the big deal was because both my parents wore them all the time and made sure we were buckled in also. Even to a kid it was fuckin obvious.

Although we still had the occasional trip to the hardware store or community pool laying down in the back of a truck, but these were always in the neighborhood trips, not across town or on any major roads.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

chitoryu12 posted:

Eh maybe but also his car barely took any damage from what you see in that video. A lot of car crashes seem to really gently caress up some cars but Fat Mans car over there just seems to have been punted around and not even much at that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Probably because he's so fat

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Growing up late 70s/early 80s, there was this sort of conventional wisdom that seatbelts cost more lives than they saved. The explanations as to why were vague and dumb, but it was a very stupid time, unlike now which is also a stupid time but we have internet.

What I'm getting at is I absolutely don't get why people don't wear seat belts these days. Back then, we had reasons, even though they were bad.

My wife's aunt's friend's cousin was saved once by being thrown from a car instead of staying in place and not wearing the seatbelt totally saved their life.

But, since I know that anecdotes don't mean diddly squat when it comes to the actual data of it, I wear my seatbelt.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My wife's aunt's friend's cousin was saved once by being thrown from a car instead of staying in place and not wearing the seatbelt totally saved their life.
Did the car explode seconds after impact or something? Entirely filled with bowling balls and she was ejected moments before pulverisation?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

“Seatbelts cost more lives than they save” is the “I drive safer when I’m drunk” of that era.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

“Seatbelts cost more lives than they save” is the “I drive safer when I’m drunk” of that era.

I think they go hand in hand. One of my brothers used to think this, until he got tapped in a small accident in his SUV which caused it to roll over. He was going no more than 15 mph and was just a few blocks from his house. Instead of walking away and buying a new car and that being the end of it, he instead bounced around the interior and broke the moonroof with his shoulder. He now has some pretty severe shoulder and back pain, all because he was too stupid and/or lazy to wear his seat belt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bad Munki posted:

Click through, it’s two parts. Appears to be a lecture on PPE, and drat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lwmGcU2

"Tiny prick causes electrocution"

Are we not doing phrasing anymore?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Splicer posted:

Did the car explode seconds after impact or something? Entirely filled with bowling balls and she was ejected moments before pulverisation?

As I see it there are three categories for these kinds of stories:

1. Total bullshit
2. Half-truths (a hard impact where the seatbelt "causes" serious injury but the person of course ignores what steering wheel/dashboard/windshield/ejection related injuries it prevented).
3. One-in-a-million scenarios where the person is ejected cleanly, lands safely, and the vehicle catches fire.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nocheez posted:

I think they go hand in hand. One of my brothers used to think this, until he got tapped in a small accident in his SUV which caused it to roll over. He was going no more than 15 mph and was just a few blocks from his house. Instead of walking away and buying a new car and that being the end of it, he instead bounced around the interior and broke the moonroof with his shoulder. He now has some pretty severe shoulder and back pain, all because he was too stupid and/or lazy to wear his seat belt.

When I was a kid, my father got in a head-on collision with a motorcycle. My father was wearing his seatbelt and walked away with some bruising but was otherwise fine. Doctors said in no uncertain terms that his seatbelt saved his life that day.

Growing up knowing that happened to my father, I don't even consider not wearing a seatbelt an option.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

When I was a kid, my father got in a head-on collision with a motorcycle. My father was wearing his seatbelt and walked away with some bruising but was otherwise fine. Doctors said in no uncertain terms that his seatbelt saved his life that day.

Growing up knowing that happened to my father, I don't even consider not wearing a seatbelt an option.

You can't tell that story and leave out what happened to the motorcyclist, even though we pretty much know what happened.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ixian posted:

You can't tell that story and leave out what happened to the motorcyclist, even though we pretty much know what happened.

His family tried to sue us for a wrongful death but got laughed out of the courtroom when it turns out multiple witnesses saw him driving on the wrong side of the road over a blind hill. Turns out he also had a suspended license and no license plates on the bike.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so essentially a meat paste is what im detecting here

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kith posted:

The Bowl o Matic 9000

Edit: Linked to avoid destroying tables.

Yes!

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
There's a safety sticker on an old tractor I drive, and it says "if operating without the rollbar attachment, do not use the seatbelt" with a pictogram of a person jumping off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I was 7 years old, my mom was driving and I was in the back seat. I wasn't wearing a set belt. She hit ice and hit the car in front of her. Very minor, low-speed accident. The seats on this car had hard plastic backs for some reason, I smashed into that and my face was a bloody mess.

Well that's one of my few memories of the 80s and I always wear my seat belt, even if I'm driving across a parking lot or something

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phanatic posted:

*phasing

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

When I was born (1980) a law had recently passed that said babies can't leave the hospital after they're born unless the parents have a carseat. Cue my dad running to Sears to buy one before they'd let me and my mom leave.

That said, when they hooked it in and buckled me and strapped me they said they had a moment when they realized that if they were in a bad wreck only I'd survive, so they wore their seatbelt religiously after that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

But what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on the treadle?

What in the bloody hell is tungsten-carbide drills!?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

How else would you describe capital punishment in Texas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The safety aspect aside, I can't imagine dealing with the "hey dude you forgot to buckle up" warning chime every time you drive anywhere, forever.