Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

still less weird than B5 mentioning admirals a few times and then everyone's a f'n general

also there's a couple of random majors and colonels, but also naval-style captains

idgi

It's almost like Hollywood creative types don't actually know a lot about real militaries, especially the differences between the different branches of them.

Of course, you could handwave it away by saying that the military would change a lot in 300 years with the Earth getting unified under one government (how many modern militaries have centurions, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xb-oLS-cyY

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

still less weird than B5 mentioning admirals a few times and then everyone's a f'n general

also there's a couple of random majors and colonels, but also naval-style captains

idgi

B5 tends to have a distinct starship fleet...the ships, the stations, etc., where people have naval ranks, and then an army/marines/like that where people are generals, majors and colonels. They seem to have distinct branches of the military, at least.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It's almost like Hollywood creative types don't actually know a lot about real militaries, especially the differences between the different branches of them.

Of course, you could handwave it away by saying that the military would change a lot in 300 years with the Earth getting unified under one government (how many modern militaries have centurions, for example).
Like how in 09, Cadet Kirk could be given command of the Enterprise by Pike, which automatically made him Captain forever with no take-backsies.

Rather than what would happen in a real-world military: "Congratulations, Cadet! Your actions saved the country. Have a medal and a jump of two pay grades! Now here's your mop, get back to work."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVjeYW6S8Mo

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just watched the first Borg episdode. They're cool
I like that that episode was Q doing them almost a kindness. Without that happening, their first contact would have wiped them out completely a few centuries later and they would never have seen them coming, but because they had Q to just end the situation it simply served as a warning - there are creatures out there that will gently caress all of you sideways, whether Romulan, Startfleet or otherwise and nothing can stop them. So watch your asses.

Also just love how the borg totally disregard all other things. No intruder alerts, just at attitude of "We'll get around to you, get in line. You can join us soon enough you eager little beavers! In the mean time, we have work to do"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched the first Borg episdode. They're cool

The Borg were best when they were still inscrutable and creepy and the extent of their technology was unknown. They peak around The Best of Both Worlds (pls liveblog your watching of this episode), and it's mostly downhill from there, with a few highlights here and there.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The last cool borg thing was the intro of Scorpion.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

The last cool borg thing was the intro of Scorpion.

The no lasting consequences of Voyager should ruined what could of been a full war between The Borg and Species 8472. Both could of been powerful and still have Voyager have to sneak around but as it stood they needed the Borg to be the baddest on the block.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

The Borg were best when they were still inscrutable and creepy and the extent of their technology was unknown. They peak around The Best of Both Worlds (pls liveblog your watching of this episode), and it's mostly downhill from there, with a few highlights here and there.

Everything involving the Borg after "I, Borg" loving sucks.

Pretty sure Colonel West was not in the theatrical release, and that it was added footage in the VHS and DVD releases.

The "Operation Retrieve" briefing to the President, Valeris talking to Spock and Scotty in the torpedo bay and Colonel West's reveal were all added for the VHS / DVD releases. (The "Scooby Doo" ending did not test well with executives and audiences.) In the two-disc DVD--which I could have sworn I have but I must have lost it in my move during my divorce--Meyer added in these stupid-rear end flash-cuts as Valeris names each co-conspirator.

I can't remember which cut is on the Blu-ray because that thing is DNR'd to hell and back so horribly that you can see Shatner's toupee glue.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 5, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
They wouldn't have been as bad if there was no sound effect. I do not actually remember, but I am so confident that each flash was accompanied by a dramatic "whoosh" that I'm just gonna go ahead and say that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

They wouldn't have been as bad if there was no sound effect. I do not actually remember, but I am so confident that each flash was accompanied by a dramatic "whoosh" that I'm just gonna go ahead and say that.

It absolutely was.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

but enough about the TNG opening

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Everything involving the Borg after "I, Borg" loving sucks.

The "Operation Retrieve" briefing to the President, Valeris talking to Spock and Scotty in the torpedo bay and Colonel West's reveal were all added for the VHS / DVD releases. (The "Scooby Doo" ending did not test well with executives and audiences.) In the two-disc DVD--which I could have sworn I have but I must have lost it in my move during my divorce--Meyer added in these stupid-rear end flash-cuts as Valeris names each co-conspirator.

I can't remember which cut is on the Blu-ray because that thing is DNR'd to hell and back so horribly that you can see Shatner's toupee glue.

The Bluray omits the added scenes (and the bad flash-cuts, which I seem to recall being even more jarring because the framerate was different).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bluray omits the added scenes (and the bad flash-cuts, which I seem to recall being even more jarring because the framerate was different).

Yeah, okay, that tracks, since the 2009 Blu-rays were done on the cheap, were straight theatrical cuts, and the only one to get an actually decent treatment is the 2016 re-release of Wrath of Khan.

Edit: Found my two-disc version of Undiscovered Country. Tempted to make some popcorn tonight and watch it, just to remind myself of how bad those flash-cuts are. Or I could punch myself in the balls for two hours, might be a better use of my time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 5, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's not even a whoosh, it's like a pastiche of Dateline NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGIlOUjkpQ&t=506s

The rest of the director's cut is give or take, I actually prefer the rest of the added stuff (especially the Operation Retrieve scene that gives us more Rene Auberjonois as well as President Forman's rad spectacles). Plus the color timing is better.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 5, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cross-Section posted:

It's not even a whoosh, it's like a pastiche of Dateline NBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGIlOUjkpQ&t=506s

The rest of the director's cut is give or take, I actually prefer the rest of the added stuff (especially the Operation Retrieve scene that gives us more Rene Auberjonois as well as President Forman's rad spectacles). Plus the color timing is better.

Nah, the color timing is worse. Spock's supposed to have a green / ochre-ish tint to his skin, and the director's cut DVD has the contrast and brightness cranked to make him look like just another white guy. Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country, in their initial releases, were the first since Wrath of Khan to actually give him that tint.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like the main argument against Star Trek VI is that if you had HBO in the 90's, it was on four times a day and probably the only thing on worth seeing at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Nicholas Meyer is pretty much the reason we have three actually good Trek movies and not six historical curiosities.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like the main argument against Star Trek VI is that if you had HBO in the 90's, it was on four times a day and probably the only thing on worth seeing at 3:00 in the afternoon.

Nicholas Meyer is pretty much the reason we have three actually good Trek movies and not six historical curiosities.

The main argument against Star Trek VI is that it's Babby's First Cold War Story and it has some exceptionally clumsy writing.

Spock: *mind-rapes Valeris while Kirk demands to know the location of the peace conference*

Spock: "She does not know."

Spock, two seconds later: "Oh, just call Sulu, he'll know."

Nimoy hated that Meyer insisted on the brutal mind-rape scene and it was the cause of yet another blow-up between them. The shooting script (I have it somewhere, it's either in a box in my extra bedroom or it's in my storage unit in the basement, but the heat index here in Madison is 96, like gently caress if I'm digging through poo poo) doesn't depict that bit at all. Kirk asks where the peace conference is, Spock immediately says, "She does not know," then Kirk decides to contact Excelsior.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 5, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Maybe this is fansplaining, but it kind of makes sense that you'd want to avoid calling Sulu if possible in case anyone was listening in.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

The main argument against Star Trek VI is that it's Babby's First Cold War Story and it has some exceptionally clumsy writing.

Spock: *mind-rapes Valeris while Kirk demands to know the location of the peace conference*

Nimoy hated that Meyer insisted on the brutal mind-rape scene and it was the cause of yet another blow-up between them. The shooting script (I have it somewhere, it's either in a box in my extra bedroom or it's in my storage unit in the basement, but the heat index here in Madison is 96, like gently caress if I'm digging through poo poo) doesn't depict that bit at all. Kirk asks where the peace conference is, Spock immediately says, "She does not know," then Kirk decides to contact Excelsior.

What was the deal with that mind rape scene anyway? At best I can think of them wanting to have spock say or do something hosed up because Kirk did that at the beginningyeah i dont care about the entire klingon race being in crisis, literally let all of them loving die, i hate them, gently caress you but its my least favorite scene in all of Star Trek. Something about Spock coldly staring at a woman he's got subdued while she screams in pain(terror? both?) has always been a bit of a blemish on the film.

Still has my favorite space battle

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always found that scene really interesting. Spock is pissed as gently caress at her, shown from the moment he bats the phaser out of her hand, he's just so disappointed in her. Then he again gives in to anger when he melds with her and forces his way in, but when it yields nothing, Spock sounds shaken and heartbroken, not just because of how she disappointed him, but because of the atrocity he just let himself commit because he lost control. I mean, there's a bit of "baby why you making me hit you" wrapped up in that and could've been handled better, but I like how it shows a flawed Spock.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just watched the season 3 epsiode with the Shelliack. I loved Picard trolling them at the end by pulling the same poo poo they were pulling on him, letting the comm ring out for a full minute.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Everything in Star Trek is Babby's First Everything, that's what it makes it so fundamentally effective, because as simple as the ideas are they remain counter-cultural to what those in power want you to go along with.

Combined with Shatner being tricked into saying "Let them die!" and a vast conspiracy by very contemporary conservatives driving the plot, Star Trek VI is pretty much the basis of the Sisko "well what about the reality of the situation" writing, and yet it's still counter-cultural because it doesn't conclude that these actions were fundamentally right in the end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TUC had a fairly nasty production with a lot of studio politics, budget problems, and a couple of downright shouting matches (including one between Meyer and nearly-dead Roddenberry over its portrait of militarism and racism in Starfleet), so I wouldn’t be surprised if Meyer just felt like he wanted to make something hosed up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

TUC had a fairly nasty production with a lot of studio politics, budget problems, and a couple of downright shouting matches (including one between Meyer and nearly-dead Roddenberry over its portrait of militarism and racism in Starfleet), so I wouldn’t be surprised if Meyer just felt like he wanted to make something hosed up.

"Hehe, gently caress you Gene," I whisper silently after wrapping the mind-rape scene.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Timby posted:

The shooting script (I have it somewhere, it's either in a box in my extra bedroom or it's in my storage unit in the basement, but the heat index here in Madison is 96, like gently caress if I'm digging through poo poo) doesn't depict that bit at all. Kirk asks where the peace conference is, Spock immediately says, "She does not know," then Kirk decides to contact Excelsior.

Yeah that would've been better. Seeing Spock so obviously pissed and on the verge of physical violence was tense enough. We didn't need to have Valeris gasp in pain/terror too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Canceled once during pre-production, budget shifts downwards and upwards (thanks to Stanley Jaffe for the upwards), pre-production blow-ups between Meyer and Nimoy, production blow-ups between Meyer and Nimoy, post-production blowups between Meyer and Nimoy (and Konner, Rosenthal and the WGA), rushed schedule ... it was a shitshow.

Also, Gene was completely senile by that point. His lawyer was his point man and spoke for him, there's no telling what Gene did or did not like anymore because Maizlish was a lunatic. The big blow-up was when Roddenberry allegedly threw a fit over Saavik being the traitor (and then either he or Maizlish or Sackett leaked it to the fanzines), and then Meyer went to the trades and said, "I created the character of Saavik. She's mine, not Gene's. If he doesn't like what I'm doing with her, then he can give back all the money he's made from my movies. Maybe then I'll listen to what he has to say."

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 5, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just watched the season 3 episode, the Survivors. That was a sad one.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The first few thousand years it just worked like the mind control slimes in Futurama.

I have a sort of sci-fi homebrew thing going on and one of the species in it is based off of that fungus that mind controls ants, except a plant and a mammal. At first the relationship between the two halves of the species was purely hostile, but as the mind-controlling plant started using the animal half more and more it grew into a symbiosis where they intentionally sought each other out for mutual benefit (plant half is more intelligent than animal half, but animal is ambulatory), then that grew into an actual society. This was before I watched the Trill episode of TNG and then I said "god loving dammit."

Anyway I can imagine Trill working like that, it started out as the worm being hostile, then it grew to be beneficial, then somewhere along the line someone figured out "oh no this joined trill died hey wait a sec this worm is still alive, we should stick it in someone else"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should have said the Trill were marsupials and the first worms were parasites that lived in their pouches.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched the season 3 episode, the Survivors. That was a sad one.

One of the best of all episodes, everywhere.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

Canceled once during pre-production, budget shifts downwards and upwards (thanks to Stanley Jaffe for the upwards), pre-production blow-ups between Meyer and Nimoy, production blow-ups between Meyer and Nimoy, post-production blowups between Meyer and Nimoy (and Konner, Rosenthal and the WGA), rushed schedule ... it was a shitshow.

Also, Gene was completely senile by that point. His lawyer was his point man and spoke for him, there's no telling what Gene did or did not like anymore because Maizlish was a lunatic. The big blow-up was when Roddenberry allegedly threw a fit over Saavik being the traitor (and then either he or Maizlish or Sackett leaked it to the fanzines), and then Meyer went to the trades and said, "I created the character of Saavik. She's mine, not Gene's. If he doesn't like what I'm doing with her, then he can give back all the money he's made from my movies. Maybe then I'll listen to what he has to say."

Turned out pretty well considering how much of a loving mess you're telling me it was. What the actual gently caress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Honestly the Valeris stuff in TUC is pretty weak until that last scene. It would have been so much more effective if you replace Valeris with Saavik like what was originally intended.

TUC is still one of my top tier of Trek films though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think Valeris and Spock’s scene pre-dinner is much more interesting than anything to do with her later on. The conspiracy plot would still work better if she were Saavik because it would be a little less like “Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Dr McCoy and Ensign Billy are all accused of murder one, who ends up taking the rap?”

Not much less though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

skasion posted:

I think Valeris and Spock’s scene pre-dinner is much more interesting than anything to do with her later on. The conspiracy plot would still work better if she were Saavik because it would be a little less like “Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Dr McCoy and Ensign Billy are all accused of murder one, who ends up taking the rap?”

Not much less though.

It's still better than TMP when it was like "OK, someone has to permanently meld with V'Ger. Ensign Billy, do you have any ideas?"

Also it isn't a movie about Ensign Billy when there's been a live action Star Trek draught for ten years, but who's counting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's still better than TMP when it was like "OK, someone has to permanently meld with V'Ger. Ensign Billy, do you have any ideas?"

That was still built up because Decker had already lost command of the Enterprise, had lost Ilia, and yet was still in love with "Ilia."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I just watched the season 3 epsiode with the Shelliack. I loved Picard trolling them at the end by pulling the same poo poo they were pulling on him, letting the comm ring out for a full minute.

I loved episodes with powerful, mysterious and truly 'alien' aliens as a kid. It probably worked so well because the rarely did it, but I would've liked to see more of those.

Orv
May 4, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I loved episodes with powerful, mysterious and truly 'alien' aliens as a kid. It probably worked so well because the rarely did it, but I would've liked to see more of those.

The underside of shag carpet is truly the most alien environ known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

So Picard probably wasn't lying at the end right? So that means there's really a species called the Grizzellas, that hibernate like grizzly bears?