Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Roguetech sounds 1000000% on brand with BattleTech fan's obsessive need to take everything way too far in search of 'realism' in the giant stompy robots with magic armor genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Banned for bullying the roguetech dev.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Strobe posted:

Roguetech sounds 1000000% on brand with BattleTech fan's obsessive need to take everything way too far in search of 'realism' in the giant stompy robots with magic armor genre.

Except for the special rules to make phalen Kells snowflake Mary Sue wolfhound super powerful and awesome.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Have they dropped any hints about what's coming in the next expansion?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

the unseen

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yep the Unseen are pretty much all we know about it right now. The Warhammer and Marauder are definitely coming, I'd be shocked if the Phoenix Hawk, Archer and Rifleman didn't show up but they've not promised them. They have however stated that there would be some "surprises", whatever that means.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Surprise: Nicky Kerensky died traveling back to his home planet

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
We're totally getting that powerhouse useful mech, the Wasp

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I wish there was a lot more vehicle variety. That seems easy to add, but here we are

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Anything to get away from LRM Carriers at 1 Skull for a convoy ambush mission that invariably sees me lose a mech because I'm at a 2:1 disadvantage and they don't give a gently caress

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I wish there was a lot more vehicle variety. That seems easy to add, but here we are

You want vehicle improvement project and colobos' vehicle mods

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Best Friends posted:

3025. This is one of the biggest things that throws me whenever anyone claims they prefer 3025 play, it's a kid's wading pool.

Tank variety especially doesn't take off until the 3050s and 3060s, we've got just about all there is with the exception of the rear end in a top hat hovertanks like the Saladin (Oh look an AC/20 that's faster than a Locust and light enough to show up any time you'd see a Shadow Hawk), Pegasus, and Harasser; or unicorns like the Behemoth (basically it's a 100-ton Demolisher but worse in every way).

Or the Partisan and Pike, which are AC/2 carriers with better branding.

Or the 80 ton Heavy LRM Carrier. Because 3 LRM 20s just wasn't enough.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

There's a lot more than that in 3026. Ontos, Partisan, all the hover tanks (though I suspect those are out because they couldn't make them work with the terrain), Patton and Rommel, and so on.

Thanks for the mod suggestions!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
https://twitter.com/zalas3/status/1147312416042016768

who's ready for another several years of dumb legal bullshit?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Der Waffle Mous posted:

who's ready for another several years of dumb legal bullshit?

The litigation was settled with prejudice. It's not coming up again.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Stravag posted:

Especially when you remember that heavies like the timberwolf are moving in PHASE loving 20 of a turn.

Yeah wartech was really fun before it got absorbed into roguetech and they stopped updating it for nonrt people. Same with the full IS map

Give this one some time. It's coming back. Quote me in 48 hours or so if you don't hear about it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So Galaxy at War is out now, a new IS Map to come soon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/462

Note: This is not one of my mods or one I helped with, so I can't troubleshoot it.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Strobe posted:

The litigation was settled with prejudice. It's not coming up again.

It's Harmony loving Gold we're talking about. They're literally a mafia front for money laundering and play IP squatter on the side, run by a man who went to prison for conspiring with the former prime minister of Italy.

They're never going to stop.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 7, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I played Battletech in the early 90s and like X-Com, is this the game for me?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

If I played Battletech in the early 90s and like X-Com, is this the game for me?

Yeah get it. XCOM2:WOTC will continue to be the best turn based games ever made until XCOM3 gets released, but Battletech is an excellent game in the same tradition.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I started replaying Front Mission and was reminded that it's anime battletech, right down to aiming for parts selectively. No lasers though, just giant Uzis.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

chaosapiant posted:

Hell yeah it is.

I like Xcom's class/skill tree system better, but BT has giant customizable robots.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's the secret to taking on missions where enemy reinforcements start right on top of the main enemy force? Even with careful play, using cover and all that, dealing with 8 mechs right after engaging is extremely tough without a big tonnage advantage. The occasional mission like this is the one thing keeping me from trying an ironman run.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jump jets, called shots, and being able to put out 400+damage per mech

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eschatos posted:

What's the secret to taking on missions where enemy reinforcements start right on top of the main enemy force? Even with careful play, using cover and all that, dealing with 8 mechs right after engaging is extremely tough without a big tonnage advantage. The occasional mission like this is the one thing keeping me from trying an ironman run.

Good mech builds, good skill setups, prioritizing the most damaging targets with the lowest resilience, and judicious use of morale abilities. Sometimes jumping to flank helps.

It's mostly the first two tbqh - because the opfor will almost always field shitfits, as long as you sit in cover and are better at trading blows than the enemy you'll come out on top easily even against two or three times your tonnage.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Good mech builds, good skill setups, prioritizing the most damaging targets with the lowest resilience, and judicious use of morale abilities. Sometimes jumping to flank helps.

It's mostly the first two tbqh - because the opfor will almost always field shitfits, as long as you sit in cover and are better at trading blows than the enemy you'll come out on top easily even against two or three times your tonnage.

Not so easy two months into career mode when I've yet to salvage enough parts for another medium.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Make sure to go max salvage.

What mechs do you currently have and what are their fittings? Pilots?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Eschatos posted:

Not so easy two months into career mode when I've yet to salvage enough parts for another medium.

That’s basically the hardest part of career mode and I respond by only taking one or half stars until I can get a full medium squad and get yang enough upgrades to start thinking about refits in less than a month.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Make sure to go max salvage.

What mechs do you currently have and what are their fittings? Pilots?

Two mostly stock blackjacks and a brawler locust/panther. Just recently got two pilots to the point of having two tier one abilities. Everybody's got bulwark, naturally. I've mostly been emphasizing money in missions in hopes of finding a full mech in a store.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eschatos posted:

Two mostly stock blackjacks and a brawler locust/panther. Just recently got two pilots to the point of having two tier one abilities. Everybody's got bulwark, naturally. I've mostly been emphasizing money in missions in hopes of finding a full mech in a store.

Locust is garbage. Panther is functional with double Large Lasers.

BJs are also decent with 2xLL + 2xML else 1xAC5 with 4xMLs.

You rolled poorly on the starting mech randomizer but c'est la vie. Trying to grind money on low skull contracts will only extend your suffering, so if you're playing on 3 parts per mech, go full salvage always on 2+ skull drops vs Hard opfors and you'll get your mediums.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Locust is garbage. Panther is functional with double Large Lasers.

BJs are also decent with 2xLL + 2xML else 1xAC5 with 4xMLs.

You rolled poorly on the starting mech randomizer but c'est la vie. Trying to grind money on low skull contracts will only extend your suffering, so if you're playing on 3 parts per mech, go full salvage always on 2+ skull drops vs Hard opfors and you'll get your mediums.

Actually a javelin instead of a locust, misremembered what mech I was using. I've yet to see a single LL in stores or selectable loot drops, so not working with great gear options. Setting salvage to 4 parts and no stock loadouts may have been a mistake.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Everyone has Bulwark? Is that a strat? :shrug:

IMO, diversify. Get at least one "Multi-Target" and one "Sensor Lock", the ability to knock evasion down by two for the latter is great and hitting multiple targets feels like a no-brainer, especially with something carrying a ton of missiles, or multiple heavy ACs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eschatos posted:

Actually a javelin instead of a locust, misremembered what mech I was using. I've yet to see a single LL in stores or selectable loot drops, so not working with great gear options. Setting salvage to 4 parts and no stock loadouts may have been a mistake.

Which Javelin you have makes a big difference - the 10N is crummy but the 10F is decent with 4 mediums plus 2 heatsinks and max armor.

You can get LLs off COM-1Bs and turrets. Kill them from the left side.

4 parts isn't too bad.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Everyone having Bulwark is the strat.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Eschatos posted:

Terrain. Ideally, use hills to split the enemy force up. If you can poke one or two mechs with Sensor Lock outside their view range, and then pull back, you can usually get some separation between the eight enemies. This effect can be especially pronounced if there are vehicles, which will often get stuck behind a ridgeline and be non-factors.

I think the PPC on the Panther is OK for the very early game, where you face low-armor light mechs and can blow bits off with a single hit. Let it or a jump-jetted Blackjack go first and then jump back to lure the enemy into a counter-ambush. The AI is usually content to charge you.

Brawling in the early game is a bad idea unless you're down to one or two enemy mechs or stomping on Locusts/vehicles. Your brawler will be exposed to counterfire from the whole Op Force.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Conspiratiorist posted:

Everyone having Bulwark is the strat.

I hate that strat

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

IMO, diversify. Get at least one "Multi-Target" and one "Sensor Lock", the ability to knock evasion down by two for the latter is great and hitting multiple targets feels like a no-brainer, especially with something carrying a ton of missiles, or multiple heavy ACs.

Im gonna play with my mod build so coolant vent swaps with bulwark. Once i do that i wont have a single pilot with bulwark

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Narsham posted:

Brawling in the early game is a bad idea unless you're down to one or two enemy mechs or stomping on Locusts/vehicles. Your brawler will be exposed to counterfire from the whole Op Force.

On the contrary - low tonnage enemies are very lovely brawlers, so if you fit for it you'll steamroll them.

If you fit your whole lance for it, I mean. Having a single brawler is idiocy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

3 55-ton brawlers plus a Centurion missile boat carried me through the middle part of my latest campaign run.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Aww yiss, found a Grasshopper at the black market on my 4th planet. Just gotta hope I can get another 5 million Cbills before I run out of missions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Eschatos posted:

Aww yiss, found a Grasshopper at the black market on my 4th planet. Just gotta hope I can get another 5 million Cbills before I run out of missions here.

lol. I think that Grasshopper would cost me...90 million Cbills.