Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mega64 posted:

Streaming goon levels for the first time! Post your codes and I'll do 'em, otherwise I'll do random ones from Random Acts of Mario.

Play my course! BTF-D64-71G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm doing more jam levels. Hopefully I'm getting to the bottom of the list of these.

Switch It Up
27X-1HV-J6G
By: d3lness

Nice little stage. I appreciate that you included backtrack doors, but it helps to put a signal on them that they are backtrack doors. An error or disappointment sound effect when the player approaches them is a good way. Isolating the door and placing an arrow to indicate that it backtracks is also helpful. It doesn't prevent players from stumbling through it going, "What is the creator trying to hide from me?" but it minimizes that.

I noticed something you need to be careful about. The lava in your castle segments goes up one tile and stops. I made the same mistake on one of my stages, wanting to use a gentle bobbing fluid as stage decoration but overlooking that you have to hit the circle switch it from "move once" to "repeat the motion". All of the liquid movement stuff is not well documented so it's easy to miss.

Thwack-a-Thwomp
MVM-VFX-S0G
By: Flint_Paper

Cool short gimmick. The way you start the big thwomp coming down as a signal to the player in the second room worked pretty well when it could have gone very badly.

Just switching things up
Y12-1K9-FFG
By: Cactrot

I got stuck at the red shell toss up at the top of the steps because the shell bopped off the naked koopa and all of the other shells had been destroyed. If you require a shell to continue, it's a really good idea to make sure there can always been another one (tossing out of a black launcher will make it slow and insure there's only one spawn) or player can reset the area.

Then I actually softlocked in the shell bouncing area where I ran into the box thinking that the still not visible part below that would be a pit and instead I got into the shell trap. With no way to hurt myself, my options were wait for the timer or abandon the checkpoint progress and start over from the beginning.

I noticed more lock up possibilities like players could become trapped and unable to move inside the on/off switch blocks at some points in the level.

And that's it. I've played every single level submitted to the jam so far. I might have to go do more random levels now.

I finally finished all of them myself, so technically I can write some tweets now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Bowser's Boiling Box Storage

I made a much more standard level than my usual autoscrollers (though I couldn't help myself, the second half of the stage is an autoscroller but hopefully I made it as easy as I could)

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
I made a level with lots of slopes to slide on and a whole chill sub level that you just slide through. Should be a pretty easy level.

Snowy Slopes
NG1-NR3-CVG

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I miss Mario Maker telling me what day it is when I boot it up

how am I supposed to know now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I miss Mario Maker telling me what day it is when I boot it up

how am I supposed to know now

i'm sorry did you turn the game off?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Huge SMB1 course that has multiple routes/shortcuts. I’m guessing it could also be great for multiplayer.

Bros of the Wild

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 9, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Phantasium posted:

This tbh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

yeah cause I didn't know what day it was!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Streaming goon levels for the first time! Post your codes and I'll do 'em, otherwise I'll do random ones from Random Acts of Mario.

Please do this one, no one has played it yet

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
How do we submit to Random Acts Of Mario?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bleck posted:

It's just picking stuff from the goon spreadsheet, which you can add to with this link

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bleck posted:

It pulls from the spreadsheet, so once you're in the spreadsheet, you're automatically in that website.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Cool, thank you!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I got my first "first clear" and thus first WR and I feel so proud of myself even though it's going to be beaten in like ten minutes. But I'm so bad at Mario I thought it was never going to happen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A few more random levels before I work on an easy course.

Michael Douglas
5C9-3CP-2FG
By: Cactrot

Those are some tight squeezes. However, the stage does contain 100% less racism than the movie it's based on.

Mario’s Folly
PR1-XDG-NSG
By: Erluk

I wasn't feeling much of a theme on this one.

Coral Crawl
PYD-D60-7VF
By: Salastine

The wiggler made a good final boss for this stage. The cramped quarters prevented me from ever going after a power up.

火車
MQ5-4RF-6XG
By: Dieting Hippo

Before I play the stage, you better deliver with a burning car for this one.

Well, you did have a car on fire, but I don't care for the courses that are there for me to watch instead of play.

Going Down The Big Tree
YMH-HHY-V7G
By: Amppelix

Cute and kind of easy. I'm a bit concerned that the red coin collection is a problem; you get the coins and the key then go through the door and die and then when restarting from the checkpoint you have to do the whole stage over again. Putting the checkpoint after the door would avoid this problem.

I wound up giving up on this stage. It's well constructed but I cannot find a path forward and with all the blind alleys, dead ends, backtracking, and the punishment for an error being a long trek back for the power up, it's not much fun. I tried flying everywhere, found the secret room, backtracked to the start, opened all the doors, tried all the pipes that were open, and couldn't find a path.

The Lobster posted:

I got my first "first clear" and thus first WR and I feel so proud of myself even though it's going to be beaten in like ten minutes. But I'm so bad at Mario I thought it was never going to happen.

I was going to suggest using the detailed search to look for easy levels with only one clear but sorting by clear rate just gives you everything with 0 clears and I have to idea how these stages get sorted into "easy" for that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 5, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yo what is "blitz" level?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Play my course! BTF-D64-71G

The later half of the stage felt dense with enemies, and if you miss a jump there should either be a way to get back up or a way to kill you instantly, since I fell in the water below a few times and spent time looking for a way up without finding it. Also, a minor nitpick, but there were a couple of cosmetic things that stood out, like a random yellow pipe in the room with the key, and one or two of the mushroom stalks not reaching the bottom.

Random Stranger posted:

I wound up giving up on this stage. It's well constructed but I cannot find a path forward and with all the blind alleys, dead ends, backtracking, and the punishment for an error being a long trek back for the power up, it's not much fun. I tried flying everywhere, found the secret room, backtracked to the start, opened all the doors, tried all the pipes that were open, and couldn't find a path.

This was my issue as well. Eventually I couldn't find the way forward, and the penalty for losing your cape is harsh.

That said, the stream went well and I played a lot of great levels today! Look forward to doing this some more!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Macaluso posted:

Yo what is "blitz" level?

There was a challenge to create a certain type of level using specific parameters in the thread a day or two ago, very quickly (under 30 mins/under 1hr/under 2hrs). That's what is meant by Blitz, the speed and parameters being met. I think they are back on page 47 or so. It's basically a type of mini-jam.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Made another level, this one with a split path!

Peaks and Valleys: GFQ-N05-MGG

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Played some random stages:

2-2 Snake Block on the Clock
By: Pixeltendo

Fast paced, quite fun. There were two spots I felt could've been designed better: The ground pound section. I didn't even think about it dropping me into poison if I didn't wait, I just naturally ground pounded all the way down. And the section a littl before it with the two saws in an L shape path. I didn't even see the second snake block in the water the first time. Docking points for being NSMBU themed. 3/5

Dusty Cavern
By: Chronojam

Easy, relaxing little level. It probably could've been a bit more challenging to get the players to the needed coin about but not every level has to be super challenging. 4/5

Lakitu Landing
By: DarkLich

Cute little quick level. Some of the rooms were better designed than other but overall fun. 4/5

Haunted Heights
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

LOVED IT! This is my favorite of this batch I played. It felt like a real proper ghost house. Pipe choices that took you to different ways the ghosts were laid out was fun. 5/5

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Castor Poe posted:

I got a couple of comments saying my level was too hard, so I decreased the difficulty level and changed a few things.

Desert Fortress: Q94-1JG-22G

I didn't play the first version but I thought the difficulty here was spot on. It's a pretty nice level and you had some thwomp configurations that I thought were neat.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Going Down The Big Tree
YMH-HHY-V7G
By: Amppelix

Cute and kind of easy. I'm a bit concerned that the red coin collection is a problem; you get the coins and the key then go through the door and die and then when restarting from the checkpoint you have to do the whole stage over again. Putting the checkpoint after the door would avoid this problem.
Was it not obvious that the door is optional? You can just go swimming past it. I'm ok with death depriving you of the door when its whole purpose is to allow for skilled players to beat the stage faster.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Heavy Sigh posted:

Made another level, this one with a split path!

Peaks and Valleys: GFQ-N05-MGG

One note for you is that the way to take the split path is kind of awkward and actually caused me to die on the first jump because I was big Mario and bonked my head off it. I would have used a cloud block instead of a ground tile so you can easily slip through and take the upper path if you want.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world
Made a couple of short, fairly standard levels.

SDY-144-PPG
Sky's the Limit

Speedy run to the finish, with some variable paths along the way.

Q73-HY7-8NF
Let's Detonate!

This one has possibly an annoying amount of bob-ombs in it. Also the game told me I can't use the word "explode" in the title.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Was it not obvious that the door is optional? You can just go swimming past it. I'm ok with death depriving you of the door when its whole purpose is to allow for skilled players to beat the stage faster.

I wasn't certain and the stage was easy enough that I didn't die and find out. I'm used to red coins set up like that being required and I wasn't sure if there was a reset path if I moved on. Just the possibility of it happening raised an eyebrow for me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I wouldn't do my players like that. This is a fun easy/casual stage anyway. The description also clarifies that the coins are optional.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Amppelix posted:

The description also clarifies that the coins are optional.
Endless only shows descriptions in the pause menu.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Bowser's Boiling Box Storage

I made a much more standard level than my usual autoscrollers (though I couldn't help myself, the second half of the stage is an autoscroller but hopefully I made it as easy as I could)

This is great! Best use of the boxes that I have seen.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Played some random stages:

2-2 Snake Block on the Clock
By: Pixeltendo

Fast paced, quite fun. There were two spots I felt could've been designed better: The ground pound section. I didn't even think about it dropping me into poison if I didn't wait, I just naturally ground pounded all the way down. And the section a littl before it with the two saws in an L shape path. I didn't even see the second snake block in the water the first time. Docking points for being NSMBU themed. 3/5

Thanks for the feedback! I'll see about changing the course design for it a little later.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

Endless only shows descriptions in the pause menu.
I know. This is why the level itself also makes it very clear (if you actually manage to die while being good enough to get the key in the first place. I doubt anyone has. This course is EZ)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So many people killed themselves trying to get a clearly optional key for clearly displayed 50 coins in my Mouse Gym :allears: And there's a checkpoint right before it, so they kept trying over and over...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy hell

https://twitter.com/pangaeapanga/status/1147119045373845506?s=21

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Amppelix posted:

I know. This is why the level itself also makes it very clear (if you actually manage to die while being good enough to get the key in the first place. I doubt anyone has. This course is EZ)

Haven't played the course in question yet but remember that the average player is Not Great At Mario and that the person who built the course is never the best judge of that course's difficulty.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Somebody, a long time ago, deeply hurt this man.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My last level has a 57% like ratio! :dance:

And a 4% clear rate. :what:

It's not even intended as an especially lethal level. In fact, the death map only has seven deaths and they're in spots that are the enemy challenges with plenty of mitigation options around them. I think it's because it's a puzzle map that uses a new component in a couple of ways that I haven't seen on any other level yet (they're obvious ones so I'm sure other people are doing it/will do it) so people can't figure out what they need to do and screwing up the puzzle halfway through means needing to die/restart. At least it's just the first room.

I guess crate drop is the new spring juggling.

You know, I want to make a SMBU level just so I have done one for each style, but I always get halfway through and think, "This would work a lot better in that other style instead."

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 5, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Make Way!
LRL-JJP-GLF

I've finished the sequel/prequel to my first level! Please let me know what you think!

Make Way 2!
NLW-GG3-W1H

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

But reddit said that kaizo levels were dead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as grandpoobear has followers and a redbull contract, Kaizo levels are a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I tweeted most of the Jam levels.