Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Subjunctive posted:

How aggressively was it trimmed? I’ve found a pretty big difference when there isn’t a fat cap still, though I’m not sure quite the mechanism at work.

Ah, that might be it. I trimmed most of the surface fat off, but looking at some other pictures online I probably took way too much off.

Oh well, it still tastes good, and it was a small and relatively cheap piece, so next time I know what to do with a big expensive piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Try a point next time. Much more forgiving wrt drying out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Internet Explorer posted:

Try a point next time. Much more forgiving wrt drying out.

I usually get my meat for "special projects" from a local butcher because, while they're more expensive, they will get me literally anything and it's always locally sourced and top quality.

Unfortunately, they were out of brisket until Friday (today), so I had to go to the grocery store. All they had were flats, and the 5.7lb one I got was the biggest they had.

Looking at photos of brisket online, I'm assuming that they had already trimmed the fat to a reasonable amount, and I just carved off all that was left lmao.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I need to check my local stores for beef ribs again. Everything I've found had been pricey and with little meat on the bone.

My experience with beef ribs (all kinds. especially incl. short ribs) has been that it's one of those cuts you need to take advantage of when the getting is good and avoid when they don't look fantastic.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve never had beef ribs that weren’t covered with more fat than beef. What am I doing wrong?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Annath posted:

I usually get my meat for "special projects" from a local butcher because, while they're more expensive, they will get me literally anything and it's always locally sourced and top quality.

Unfortunately, they were out of brisket until Friday (today), so I had to go to the grocery store. All they had were flats, and the 5.7lb one I got was the biggest they had.

Looking at photos of brisket online, I'm assuming that they had already trimmed the fat to a reasonable amount, and I just carved off all that was left lmao.
If you got a flat and trimmed it further, yeah it was totally butchered.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Annath posted:

Grocery store flats are usually, in my experience, already almost completely trimmed of their fat because they aren't usually destined for smoking but some other cooking method - which is even more reason to ignore them.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Got an 8 lb pork butt smoking now. Temps are steadily rising and I'm at 140° now. Do I dare forego crutching? (Note, this is not hubris - I know it's gonna stall hard)

e: Crutched it after stalling in the upper 150s for about 45-60 minutes. Can't wait for this.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 7, 2019

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ROJO posted:

Grocery store flats are usually, in my experience, already almost completely trimmed of their fat because they aren't usually destined for smoking but some other cooking method - which is even more reason to ignore them.

I have _never_ seen a good brisket flat in a grocery store

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dango Bango posted:

Got an 8 lb pork butt smoking now. Temps are steadily rising and I'm at 140° now. Do I dare forego crutching? (Note, this is not hubris - I know it's gonna stall hard)

e: Crutched it after stalling in the upper 150s for about 45-60 minutes. Can't wait for this.

Yes, good. You did what your heart told you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

revmoo posted:

I have _never_ seen a good brisket flat in a grocery store

Speaking of this, anyone attempt to smoke a grocery store corned beef flat for pastrami?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The brisket flats you find in whatever random grocery store in most places have traditionally been intended for braising in recipes like this.

It makes sense from that perspective that they'd be trimmed quite a bit more than you'd want for dry-heat cooking.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people, in reality, were buying flats nowadays intending to BBQ, rather than braise, them.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, good. You did what your heart told you.

Ha, yeah. Best cook I've had - Weber kettle held 250-275 the entire time and I've got it off and resting now in perfect time for dinner.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can I cook a SPATCHCOCKED chicken low and slow for an hour before cranking it and cooking it like a normal chicken without drying it out? Finding out today.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

FogHelmut posted:

Can I cook a SPATCHCOCKED chicken low and slow for an hour before cranking it and cooking it like a normal chicken without drying it out? Finding out today.

I do spatchcocked birds at 275-300 for a couple of hours and they take on great smoke taste and are moistier than moist should be. Don't go low with chicken - it isn't a tough meat. If you can do 350 in your smoker even better.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Ha, yeah. Best cook I've had - Weber kettle held 250-275 the entire time and I've got it off and resting now in perfect time for dinner.

This is the best pork butt I've ever smoked. Absolutely amazing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ada shatan posted:

I do spatchcocked birds at 275-300 for a couple of hours and they take on great smoke taste and are moistier than moist should be. Don't go low with chicken - it isn't a tough meat. If you can do 350 in your smoker even better.

Echoing this. That's a loving great looking chicken, too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I did 225 for an hour, then 350 to cook it. I wanted to get more smoke flavor, but I don't think the first hour did much of anything. Meat was only about 85 degrees when I turned it up.

Oddly the legs were a little dry. Breasts and thighs ultra juicy. Skin was crisp and wonderful.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got a Kamado Joe last week so I'm new to the thread but drat was I able to make some good food over the weekend. Did a chicken and pork shoulder to start. I've never made a pork shoulder before and it turned out incredible. The chicken was great too and very moist. I look forward to picking up some tips from you all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone ever do an Italian roast pork in the smoke? I've only done it in the oven. Thinking about how the smoke is going to go with the rosemary and garlic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
if it's fresh rosemary and garlic it's probably just going to end up charing to bits if you add it right at the start. Adding some when you're close to the end of the cook, or just cooking it separately in some olive oil and then brushing it on the finished meat is probably going to serve you a lot better.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah I did 225 for an hour, then 350 to cook it. I wanted to get more smoke flavor, but I don't think the first hour did much of anything. Meat was only about 85 degrees when I turned it up.

Oddly the legs were a little dry. Breasts and thighs ultra juicy. Skin was crisp and wonderful.

This looks amazing.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
The Sam's Club by me just started selling full packer briskets :getin:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Random realization that I recently came to while side-by-side smoking things on my very small pellet grill (GMG Davy Crocket) vs my Weber Kettle: the pellet grill is too drat small, and it's toasting everything with direct heat from the sides of the grill. This is actually kind of great for chicken, but turns ribs into extra-crispy shoe leather. Tried a bunch of ways around it, including sticking a water pan in there, to no avail.

Moral of the story: maybe don't get a small pellet grill.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have experience with the Akorn E16620? Looks like it's on-sale under 300 bucks but nervous to pull the trigger when part of the draw would be using it as a grill as well as a smoker, and I've heard despite the marketing they're not great grilling.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm living vicariously through you here since I'm dealing with a similar situation of managing refractory heat. I only have some unproven ideas.

But yeah... definitely put that ice in some kind of container instead of just unloading a bag into the thing.

A few days late, but have you seen this book? It was mentioned in the thread a while back and seems like it might help with your 'alternate' smoker plans.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Carillon posted:

Anyone have experience with the Akorn E16620? Looks like it's on-sale under 300 bucks but nervous to pull the trigger when part of the draw would be using it as a grill as well as a smoker, and I've heard despite the marketing they're not great grilling.

Komodos are decent for grilling if you keep the lid closed. Otherwise the coals are way too far to char well. I can get mine to 700-800F lid down.
(In fact that is how I clean it)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Fall Dog posted:

A few days late, but have you seen this book? It was mentioned in the thread a while back and seems like it might help with your 'alternate' smoker plans.

I bought it awhile ago and already read through it. It was recommended to me in another thread when I was pondering building a smoker separate from my pizza oven back when I was still planning my outdoor kitchen. It also turned out to be a great book to learn about brining and using a salinometer. It gives some general impressions which has given me confidence in finding a solution, but there isn't enough there to know how I should focus on temperature in particular.

Perhaps I should just rephrase my situation here. The problem was never if it could smoke at all. The output was a pretty good brisket with a crust and a modest smoke ring. The problem was that it took 32 God drat hours. I suspect that using the wall temperature as my cooking temperature was flawed and I should have let it go at a higher wall temperature.

As for flavor, I was using mesquite because my previous experiences with, say, pork butt produced a fantastic texture but no smoke flavor. This is because the wood coals at the end of a session with the oven don't impart any flavor. Experiments with typical wood chips (hickory, pecan, oak) and such didn't do enough, so I've had to go all-the-way to mesquite, which is notorious as a resinous, strong, pungent wood that will coat your food in creosote. Still, my favorite place outside of Austin actually uses mesquite. I had used mesquite with the brisket and gotten a good effect.

So if anybody's curious, my next plan is to start when I have a wall temperature more around 300F instead of 225F and let that sustain overnight after with some mesquite wood chunks running around in a semicircle in the dome.

Finally, I was thinking about the initial reaction in this thread to doing this, which I honestly have never encountered anywhere else in this forum or elsewhere. I tend to forget about the proliferation of cute little toy pizza ovens for grills or whatever. This is a dome with a 42" inner diameter built with about 270 type-2 firebricks. It is insulated in upwards of six inches of 8:1 perlcrete. The day after making pizzas in it at 900F or so, the floor under the oven peaks at 110F. Getting it started has been a chore, but that has been improving with repeated firings.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Hasselblad posted:

Komodos are decent for grilling if you keep the lid closed. Otherwise the coals are way too far to char well. I can get mine to 700-800F lid down.
(In fact that is how I clean it)

I've been using a Komodo (same as above model but in black) for several years and I love it for the price. A couple thoughts:

1. It's tricky to maintain very low, ie 225 or lower. The air vents aren't exact enough and the gasket can leak.
2. It holds heat pretty well, so once the temp gets up, it'll mostly stay up
3. When I need to sear very hard and quick (like grilling scallops), I use a generic round grill I got at WalMart for $10. It sits inside the Komodo halfway up from the normal coals area, to the grilling surface, and I put the Royal Oak on it instead. Being that much closer makes all the difference and I can get awesome lines and char without overcooking the protein or getting nasty flare-ups. I then crank it up to 800+ for cleaning too.

Also, check Craigslist for people selling them as many times, at least around me, I've seen them go for cheap to very cheap. Some Dad buys one with dreams of easy competition-ready pulled pork and doesn't realize they take effort to produce good results, buys a pellet machine and then dumps the Komodo. The one I'm using right now I got for $50 for this exact reason. I then sold my original one for $150.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

netwerk23 posted:

I've been using a Komodo (same as above model but in black) for several years and I love it for the price. A couple thoughts:

1. It's tricky to maintain very low, ie 225 or lower. The air vents aren't exact enough and the gasket can leak.
2. It holds heat pretty well, so once the temp gets up, it'll mostly stay up
3. When I need to sear very hard and quick (like grilling scallops), I use a generic round grill I got at WalMart for $10. It sits inside the Komodo halfway up from the normal coals area, to the grilling surface, and I put the Royal Oak on it instead. Being that much closer makes all the difference and I can get awesome lines and char without overcooking the protein or getting nasty flare-ups. I then crank it up to 800+ for cleaning too.

Also, check Craigslist for people selling them as many times, at least around me, I've seen them go for cheap to very cheap. Some Dad buys one with dreams of easy competition-ready pulled pork and doesn't realize they take effort to produce good results, buys a pellet machine and then dumps the Komodo. The one I'm using right now I got for $50 for this exact reason. I then sold my original one for $150.

1. No issue with 225 with a decent stoker attached
2. Which can be an issue if you overshoot smoke temp and have to wait for it to come down without extinguishing the coals
3a. Best searing is simply a super hot cast iron pan/plate
3b. Fogu for life

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Been a while since I've been here. Hello.

This Saturday, for my wife's birthday party, I'm going to cook a shitload of kofta kebab on my Hasty-Bake and then probably 5 or 6lbs of pork belly burnt ends on my PBC.

The countdown is on.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

VERTiG0 posted:

Been a while since I've been here. Hello.

This Saturday, for my wife's birthday party, I'm going to cook a shitload of kofta kebab on my Hasty-Bake and then probably 5 or 6lbs of pork belly burnt ends on my PBC.

The countdown is on.

Pics please

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

I'll try to remember to get pics, though I will be drinking somewhere between 20 and 30 beers.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I feel like it's a horrible idea, but has anyone done a boneless pork shoulder on a rotissierie and NOT had it just fall off because of its own weight before it was ready?

I guess I could wrap it in chicken wire or something but then I'm pulling chicken wire off the body and ripping good bark off of it.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It's not a terrible idea, you'll just have to tie it with butcher's twine all around to hold the whole thing together.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

VERTiG0 posted:

It's not a terrible idea, you'll just have to tie it with butcher's twine all around to hold the whole thing together.

I'm choosing to read this as "go for it and take pictures, what's the worst that could happen?".

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Hell Yes. Give it a few cm or so between each string and it'll be fine.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What about that netting they use for curing hams?

Smoked two boneless shoulders this week for a church potluck and they were a huge hit. Also made a connection to a local competition pitmaster :toot:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

El Jebus posted:

I feel like it's a horrible idea, but has anyone done a boneless pork shoulder on a rotissierie and NOT had it just fall off because of its own weight before it was ready?

I guess I could wrap it in chicken wire or something but then I'm pulling chicken wire off the body and ripping good bark off of it.

An intriguing idea. Is this just "for the hell of it" type thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

An intriguing idea. Is this just "for the hell of it" type thing?

Yeah. My in-laws got me a rotissierie for my webers and I want to use it more than for the occasional chicken and turkey day. I figure if I tie it right then i shouldn't have a problem. I also got a new motor that can handle much higher weights (balanced of course) and thought why not give it a shot. Plus my wife's employees love when I makes them lunch.