Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Edmond Dantes posted:

(First trial spoilers)
Yo, did Feo just use me to steal the loving crown

Not intentionally, but that was the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Edmond Dantes posted:

(First trial spoilers)

Planning is beneath the Good Folk, who live only for the moment.

But yeah, she totally did, which is why she's great.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

More like saved you from it, yeah. You're the Warrior of Darkness, not the Fey King.

Plus, having a Fey King as a best friend really comes in handy later.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Edmond Dantes posted:

(First trial spoilers)

Feo's my character name so I thought you were calling me out for a second.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My character is called Rynne. This gets really confusing later on.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Philonius posted:

Look Thancred just named her after you in respect you should be honored

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Philonius posted:

My Elezen is named Berteaux, and everyone in my FC calls him Bert for short.

The amount of characters in this game who have "Bert" (Godbert, Nyelbert, Ardbert, etc.) in their names has led to no small amount of commentary on their part. :shepicide:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh, PSA if you're not aware yet.

If you're a cheapskate like me and don't want to use all your level VIII materia yet, level VI (the Stormblood added item) has a 100% retrieval chance now, at least on level 80 items. Might as well jam that poo poo into everything.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dear XIV thread: recommend me a black mage staff to go with this outfit, if you please.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The amount of characters in this game who have "Bert" (Godbert, Nyelbert, Ardbert, etc.) in their names has led to no small amount of commentary on their part. :shepicide:

I named my character an old-fashioned Italian girl's name. Turns out a common low-level enemy type shares that name.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Cabbit posted:

Dear XIV thread: recommend me a black mage staff to go with this outfit, if you please.

Augmented Lost Allagan Rod (Black)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I was, I've no idea what these people are talking about.

:haw:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I named my character an old-fashioned Italian girl's name. Turns out a common low-level enemy type shares that name.

I remember there was an enemy somewhere that had a name like a person. I can't remember what it was, though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So for the next story patch

do we get to reunite with the recently woken up our-timeline graha tia

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Feo give me the succ.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I remember there was an enemy somewhere that had a name like a person. I can't remember what it was, though.

In my case? Aurelia. Turns out that's what this game calls its flying jellyfish.

Someone usually comments on it whenever I get Sastasha for lldr.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Draxion posted:

Moggle Mog's got basically a Danny Elfman song, it's wild.

https://kotaku.com/band-says-new-final-fantasy-xiv-boss-battle-music-is-ri-1761120297

There have been missteps.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I payed this game for only 2 months back when SB came out and fell off right at the end of the HW content. I’m back and about to venture in to SB and I’m having the hardest time figuring out a main to take up to 80. I loved RDM which I used as my main job through HW, but now I’m torn between that, currently at 60, dancer, or my 53 SAM. Buffing classes are usually my jam so I was originally drawn to dancer, but RDM and SAM are so neat as well.

How are people feeling about these at 80?!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vermain posted:

I've been running LotA for the better part of six years, and I learned there's an actual stairwell down to the lava section maybe 3 months ago. I legit thought you could only get down there by jumping off the ledge.

Same but I just learned this just now as I read this post

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rhonne posted:

:lol: (post game spoiler) You can show G'raha your toy of him.

:allears:

there's other extra dialogue with him too. his reaction to his own name makes me tear up every single time. i love him so much

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Don’t forget the firmest Bert, Firmalbert

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Rand Brittain posted:

Planning is beneath the Good Folk, who live only for the moment.

But yeah, she totally did, which is why she's great.

They did. The Fey are all genderless and refer to themselves and each other with gender-neutral pronouns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Merilan posted:

Don’t forget the firmest Bert, Firmalbert

There's a Dadbert in Lakeland I think.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Schubalts posted:

There's a setting to hide weapons when you don't have them drawn/unsheathed. I used it for my maid glam for NIN, so it looked like the daggers were being pulled from secret pockets in the skirt.
I know, I have the gun and /gbarrel off, still looks weird when you pull it out.

And unlike what jokes suggested, I don't think it's possible to do a good 80s Bruce Willis glamour on any of FFXIV's character models.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

DrNutt posted:

Man, thanks for the advice! Is there a typical way you size/organize your hotbars in order to keep things manageable on your screen? I found that even with two I like them a lot better sized down to 90%

Super late, but honestly, not really. I keep everything normal sized, and while it might not be the most optimal layout, it's one I've used for so long that I am very proficient in it regardless.

One thing I do do though is make sure to test if the abilities I may need to use while moving are comfortable to hit while doing so, and if they aren't I rethink what goes where.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Finally back from holidays and missed the expansion rush. How's Dancer shaping up? I love the simplicity of RDM and it seems to be a physical version of it with more buffs?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mango Polo posted:

Finally back from holidays and missed the expansion rush. How's Dancer shaping up? I love the simplicity of RDM and it seems to be a physical version of it with more buffs?
Dancer is good and strong and the only reason I haven't focused levelling it more is that I want to do MSQ and I've been doing it as AST for healer privilege in queues.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm not familiar with the PLD changes, did they remove everything that gives survival buffs? I know they had some button bloat issues, but running as a healer I've had two PLDs in the past couple days who never had buffs that decreased damage taken, and both times I struggled to keep them alive. It wasn't their gear, and I'm playing WHM so it's not like I ran out of heal juice. Maybe I'm just rusty, but it feels like if I'm resorting to cure II spam and hitting everything on CD it's not me, so I'm guessing they just aren't popping defensive CDs when doing double pulls?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chakan posted:

I'm not familiar with the PLD changes, did they remove everything that gives survival buffs? I know they had some button bloat issues, but running as a healer I've had two PLDs in the past couple days who never had buffs that decreased damage taken, and both times I struggled to keep them alive. It wasn't their gear, and I'm playing WHM so it's not like I ran out of heal juice. Maybe I'm just rusty, but it feels like if I'm resorting to cure II spam and hitting everything on CD it's not me, so I'm guessing they just aren't popping defensive CDs when doing double pulls?

Broadly speaking: everyone takes more damage now and tanks have fewer long duration cooldowns that they can rotate through. Keep Regen rolling, use Divine Benison off cooldown, use Asylum during heavy pulls, and don't forget about Afflatus Solace.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chakan posted:

Nah, paladins still have the most mitigation options of any tank. They're probably just bads. Every tank has at least Rampart and Arm's Length for mitigation regardless of whatever else they might have.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chakan posted:

They still have a good amount of defensive CDs but more importantly, the sheltron change means you should always use it on AOE pulls as often as possible though, which might not be used if the PLD hasn't noticed the sheltron change.

PLDs should definitely heal if the healer is struggling. TBN absorbs like 20-25k but PLDs can heal that much without using requiescat and can do it 5 times in a row. If your PLD is dying but is refusing to heal himself, he's probably not particularly great at PLD then because 2000 MP for a spammable 20+% heal (assuming a lot of damage is coming in) is a pretty good deal. Sure you can't do AOE damage out but whatever, better than dying.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think the 71 and 73 dungeons might be slightly overtuned for your average person's ilvl, to be honest. Holminster is loving miserable as AST due to the loss of Celestial Opposition's stun and fewer strong, long duration HoT options, and while it's better on WHM, your average tank is still going to get clobbered by even single pulls. The 75 dungeon onwards feels much better, even if your tank decides to Rambo down an entire hallway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

I think the 71 and 73 dungeons might be slightly overtuned for your average person's ilvl, to be honest. Holminster is loving miserable as AST due to the loss of Celestial Opposition's stun and fewer strong, long duration HoT options, and while it's better on WHM, your average tank is still going to get clobbered by even single pulls. The 75 dungeon onwards feels much better, even if your tank decides to Rambo down an entire hallway.

I think people are just not using their tools. I've done it as both healers and tank and as a Warrior I have tons of options. Raw Intuition is a 20% defense buff for 6 seconds on a 25 second cooldown which is really bonkers when you think about it. They also have a massive self heal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Ebony Staff

Which should really be more popular and I'm amazed when I don't see them

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I enjoyed the Trust dungeons and all, but I wish there was a little more verity in the companions you bring. You got to bring the Crystal Exarch and the Guard Captain with you in the first one, but the rest were all just some combination of the Scions. I was hoping for a few more one-off allies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cabbit posted:

Kum Kum Staff

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ebony Staff

Which should really be more popular and I'm amazed when I don't see them
There's a lot of really nice looking and simply designed white/green weapons that tend to get overlooked for the flashier primal ones yeah, and it's not a bad idea to give those a look if you're going for a more conservative glamour.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This final Zenos fight in the last Stormblood patch is a tremendous pain in the rear end when my connection isn't working well. I first tried it a couple times with DRK before realizing that I couldn't complete the DPS check with it (my ilvl is ~275 or something; I could come close but couldn't quite do it). I switched to my much better geared Scholar, but I disconnected twice and died for reasons I don't understand the other two times (the first time I destroyed all 3 swords, but was still killed by the following move despite being at full health, and the second time I was randomly killed like 5 seconds after he dropped the sword, again for reasons I don't understand - it just said "Duty Failed" suddenly).

I have no idea what made them think forcing you to do the Hien fight before it each time was a good idea. It's extremely tedious.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ytlaya posted:

This final Zenos fight in the last Stormblood patch is a tremendous pain in the rear end when my connection isn't working well. I first tried it a couple times with DRK before realizing that I couldn't complete the DPS check with it (my ilvl is ~275 or something; I could come close but couldn't quite do it). I switched to my much better geared Scholar, but I disconnected twice and died for reasons I don't understand the other two times (the first time I destroyed all 3 swords, but was still killed by the following move despite being at full health, and the second time I was randomly killed like 5 seconds after he dropped the sword, again for reasons I don't understand - it just said "Duty Failed" suddenly).

I have no idea what made them think forcing you to do the Hien fight before it each time was a good idea. It's extremely tedious.

I had to be taught new tricks I didn't know to do more damage and still finished at like 98 out of 100 after like 5 tries, it sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ironslave posted:

They did. The Fey are all genderless and refer to themselves and each other with gender-neutral pronouns.

FYI, this is not true for Feo Ul. Feo Ul specifically refers to herself as a she in this line: "You have need of <retainer name here>, yes? But sing the word, and let your beautiful branch do what only she can." Unless I'm misunderstanding the grammar in that sentence, that's Feo Ul using a female pronoun for herself.