Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having not inviting an autistic family friend to my "real" graduation party?

I can see that I could have given him the opportunity to turn it down, but he struggles with saying "no" and I just want my graduation party to be enjoyable. I don't want to worry about if the music is playing too loud or if people are splashing in his direction or what food is being served (he doesn't eat meat because of the texture) or if something isn't lined up the correct way.

AITA for this?

Hard to go one way or the other but probably NTA if the person really does have these issues. Maybe invite the person and someone else who can be with him to make sure he’s ok? The OP shouldn’t have to watch over the person the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MarcusSA posted:

I’d also like to point out that the dude isn’t even Muslim which kinda makes his behavior worse because he’s never actually had to deal with the actual poo poo Muslims deal with on a daily basis. He had this one instance and decided to go all in with being a dumbass.

He's from a majority muslim country and looks like it. I assure you he deals with plenty odd the bullshit you are thinking about when you think of bullshit that muslims have to put up with.

I have some Persian relatives and the young men all either have to shave off their beards or deal with being detained and questioned for hours at the airport on a pretty regular basis.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Xik posted:

"I have had a bunch of odd requests, some have asked me to spit in the water, pee in it and requested the water to come off my body and drip into the bottle from.. certain areas," she adds. "Honestly with the kind of messages that I get daily these requests don’t weird me out anymore."

I wonder which obese male relative's bathwater she's actually sending to those clowns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fallom posted:

Not related to any recent post here but from casual browsing the number of people recommending “have you considered opening your relationship?” on Reddit is seriously loving bizarre
This definitely predates Reddit to the point that I saw jokes about it on SA well before Reddit was created.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

I wonder which obese male relative's bathwater she's actually sending to those clowns.

“Fresh Pussy Water”
*dips protesting cat in tub*

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like SA irony has congealed into real human beings on reddit

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AITA for changing my "unique" name without telling my parents?

quote:

So about a year ago I made the decision to change my name. I ran this by pretty much no one and only my close friends, employers. And coworkers were even informed afterward. I decided to not tell my parents for multiple reasons.

My parents were stereotypical hippies. When I was born they gave me a very "unique" name. Despite being a Male the name they gave me, despite being "gender neutral", was feminine and was spelled In a very odd fashion. Think along the lines of "Baileigh" or "Dakodah".

Growing up I was bullied relentlessly because of this. It destroyed my self esteem growing up and I've hated my name since forever. My parents have just seemed to ignore this and told me that it didnt matter and my name reflected how special I was.

Going into college I abandoned the name immediately. My college allowed for us to have a "preferred name" that professors would see. So I began going by a much more masculine name and I noticed the difference. People didnt immediately ask about my name and it was never a problem. Even when close friends learned my real name they said my preferred name was do much better. So after 4 years of college and 2 of working I changed it legally last year.

I never told my parents because i knew they would be mad. As I teen i asked constantly and they always got mad and felt insulted that i would abandon the first thing they gave me. So i went a year not telling them. But last week they figured out when my sister accidentally told them

Since then they have been going insane. They have called me everyday asking how I could do that to them. How I could abandon the name they gave me or how I'm inconsiderate of them and their feelings. My grandmother also called me today saying I'm an rear end in a top hat for changing my name without asking my parents She says my parents should have had a say in my new name as they are outwardly trashing my new one to everyone.

I dont see how its anyone's loving business what I call myself and why my parents have any say here now that I'm an adult. I hated my old name and they knew but did nothing when I was bullied over it. Aita here?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Children of narcissists

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Haifisch posted:

Must feel great to find out your family considered you more of a fashion accessory than a kid.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

revmoo posted:

Everyone I disagree with is a racist

Hopefully

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MarcusSA posted:

Hard to go one way or the other but probably NTA if the person really does have these issues. Maybe invite the person and someone else who can be with him to make sure he’s ok? The OP shouldn’t have to watch over the person the whole time.
As someone with autism myself I think he's absolutely NTA, especially since he had a much smaller gathering of friends including the dude so he could celebrate with his friend without being overwhelmed.

Like from my perspective I'd appreciate a friend straight up going 'hey I didn't invite you to this thing because it'd be hellish for you, not because we're not friends', but we don't even know if OP's friend is upset.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AITA For buying my son a smoothie maker.

quote:

My son (6) won an award in school for being really good at maths and I wanted to encourage him so I decided to give him £10. When I asked him what he was going to spend it on he said he wanted to save up and buy a smoothie maker. I decided that no 6yo should have to save up to buy a piece of kitchen equipment so I went out and bought him one anyway. Firstly it will encourage him to eat more fruit and secondly, it was only £40. My partner told my mother about this and she called me an idiot and I should be spending my money on paying off bank debts instead. She thinks I should have waited until his birthday and given it to him then (birthday is two months away). He was delighted with the smoothie maker at first but the novelty wore off very quickly so I’m glad it wasn’t a wasted birthday present. I will use the smoothie maker and he still got the reward he wanted for being a good boy. Is my mother right or am I actually the arsehole?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i love it when we get british ones because i mentally read them in a v cockney accent

but no lady, your mom is an rear end in a top hat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haifisch posted:

AITA For buying my son a smoothie maker.

What? Like huh?

Tell your mom to relax or something.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I didn't apologize to my employee for snapping at her?

My team is me (M mid 50s), my assistant (F mid 40s), and 3 others (25F, 26M and 29M). We've worked together for 4 years.

Let me say that I'm a good boss. A non-exhaustive list:

The kids have an amount of work to do by a deadline. They can come in/leave when they want.
We all chipped in for some couches and video games in the main room.
If anyone were to have a baby they would get 4 months of paid leave.
We have the highest productivity and highest employee satisfaction in the company
Most days nobody leaves before 5. The employees hang out when they're done with work or wait for me/my assistant and we'll for drinks with our spouses (my assistant and I are married, to different people)
I host a weekly barbecue with my 16 yo daughter and my assistant's 13 and 12 yo kids as well.
The employees have jokingly referred to us as Mom and Dad. It's an exceedingly well functioning work environment. They come to me for advice and we joke around. I care about my employees on an individual level and would help them out any way that I could.
I'm overall an excellent boss.

That brings us to this past week. I'm already in a bad mood because my daughter has been going through a MAJOR rebellious phase after we told her she was adopted and has been a disrespectful nightmare. We're giving her a long leash and going to therapy but it's stressful and I would like work to be not so. On Tuesday, one of the employees (let's call her Anna, 25F) wanted me to sign over some documents. I told her I'd do it when I had time as I was feeling on edge with my wife texting me after dealing with my teenager throwing a fit over something small when she was home from school.

Anna said "Oh, come on Bob, don't be an rear end in a top hat. As if you have better things to do." That is completely unacceptable, I'm already dealing with my kid being disrespectful and I don't need it from my employees. I told her to watch herself, that I'm not her friend or her father that she can speak to me like that, I'm her boss. I said if she speaks to me like that again she's fired. It's worth noting that I said this calmly and did not yell. She apologized and looked upset which made me feel bad. She also had red eyes later in the day. The other two were giving me looks all day and my assistant said there was no need to be mean.

Anna and the others have been subdued all week. My wife says that I unnecessarily took my anger out on Anna. I say that I didn't respond in any way that would be unreasonable from any other boss being called an rear end in a top hat by his employee, and why should I be treated any less respectfully? I do feel bad but don't want to demean myself. So, Reddit, WIBTA if I let this situation fizzle out without apologizing for appropriately reprimanding my employee?

TL;DR: snapped at my employee. My wife wants me to apologize.

Update: Alright guys, I get it, I'm the rear end in a top hat and shouldn't have said anything about firing anyone. You're also all right in that we have a friendly, joking atmosphere and I flipped my lid for no reason because I was feeling trod on at home and at work. I didn't want to admit I was wrong because apologizing takes a hit out of my ego- it's a character flaw that I need to work on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I didn't apologize to my employee for snapping at her?

Update: Alright guys, I get it, I'm the rear end in a top hat and shouldn't have said anything about firing anyone. You're also all right in that we have a friendly, joking atmosphere and I flipped my lid for no reason because I was feeling trod on at home and at work. I didn't want to admit I was wrong because apologizing takes a hit out of my ego- it's a character flaw that I need to work on.

Well this one solved itself.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is good for Anna to learn that her employers aren’t her friends or fake parents even if they enjoy playing the role when it’s fun.

Edit: OP is an rear end in a top hat.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Haifisch posted:

NTA. He should also look into a getting a new last name for a proper :sever:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’d also like to point out that the dude isn’t even Muslim which kinda makes his behavior worse because he’s never actually had to deal with the actual poo poo Muslims deal with on a daily basis. He had this one instance and decided to go all in with being a dumbass.

hi there stable genius MarcusSA, the story was instigated by someone watching the OP intently for having the appearance of a traditional practicing muslim and it's fine to want to flip the script in that kind of situation

take any of the sikh men who have been gunned down by anti-muslim white nationalists, does the fact that they weren't muslim make any difference at all to how they've been treated? obviously not. the white person is a racist either way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

the white person is a racist either way

That was never in question.

It’s still not ok to reenforce negative stereotypes which is what the OP did and what makes him wrong.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I'm already in a bad mood because my daughter has been going through a MAJOR rebellious phase after we told her she was adopted and has been a disrespectful nightmare.

What the hell did these idiots expect? Why would you hide something like this and then drop it on your child at one of the most volatile times possible?

I'm of the opinion that adopted children should know the truth from the beginning anyway, but lying for years and then dumping it on them in the middle of adolescence is an extra special kind of selfish and stupid.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I wrong for not wanting to indulge me BF’s kink?

My boyfriend (24) and I (24) have been dating for about 5 years, since our freshman year of college. We have never lived together and since we’ve graduated I’ve moved back in with my parents and he moved into an apartment with a roommate a few towns over.

Our relationship has always been very strong physically, we share many kinks and I would say up until now we’ve never had a conflict in that department.

Financially, we’ve always split dates and vacations 70/30, this is due to me fudging numbers so I end up paying more than him. I know i come from a position of having more of a safety net than him and work quite a bit more through undergrad so I really didn’t/don’t mind. But he has no idea I’ve been doing this for the past few years. I just want us both to be able to enjoy some nice things together without him feeling guilty about me paying a bit more for it, he really deserves it and i’m happy to pay for him to enjoy these things with me.

Since graduating he’s moved out to an apartment with a friend-along with rent, groceries, and utilities he also is responsible for paying a significant amount in student loans back each month. I have moved back in with my parents and have already covered the cost of my education.

Recently, he’s asked if I could indulge his findom kink. For those of you who don’t know, findom is a sexual desire to be exploited financially. Ideally this would entail me demeaning him and demanding money for luxuries and personal needs on his dime. Though that type of behavior is nowhere in my personality I do partake in some kinks that aren’t typical of my normal behavior so I guess it’s sorta the same thing?

He isn’t living paycheck to paycheck but I am uncomfortable with the idea of him spending the little extra spending money he has on me in this capacity. Would it be patronizing to tell him as much? I spoke to a friend about it and she said I am pitying him and he can spend that money as he wishes but i don’t know, i don’t pity him, i just feel this kink is not one we should explore until he’s in a more stable position.

tl;dr Boyfriend is tight on funds and wants me to indulge his findom kink. I am uncomfortable with that. How do I proceed?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Can't ya'll just use monopoly money?

People that wanna gently caress/be foxes don't use actual fur for their buttplug tails. Just do a pretend.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Telemaze posted:

What the hell did these idiots expect? Why would you hide something like this and then drop it on your child at one of the most volatile times possible?

I'm of the opinion that adopted children should know the truth from the beginning anyway, but lying for years and then dumping it on them in the middle of adolescence is an extra special kind of selfish and stupid.

Yeah, that's the special buried lede of that garbage-dick story. The middle-aged boss who tries to be the Cool Dad to his younger employees also being a literal dad who didn't tell his daughter she was adopted until adolescence and seems confused and frustrated that she's acting out? goddamn, reddit, too good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

It’s still not ok to reenforce negative stereotypes which is what the OP did and what makes him wrong.

After he noticed that he was catching stares, he began:

- Checking his watch
- Reading from a book
- Silently praying

Which of these things reinforced a negative stereotype?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

After he noticed that he was catching stares, he began:

- Checking his watch
- Reading from a book
- Silently praying

Which of these things reinforced a negative stereotype?

🙄 he knew exactly what he was doing and even says as much in the story.

quote:

I felt like having a little fun, so I decided, since nothing bad is going to happen like he thinks, I'll mess with him. I opened up a small book through my backpack and acted like I'm praying in Arabic and poo poo. I took deep breaths sometimes, like I'm readying myself up for some kamikaze mission. I looked at my watch many times like I'm waiting for something.

Poor guy was buying it. He seemed absolutely terrified, started whispering to others, kept his eyes on me even more. He was convinced I'm gonna blow up the plane or something. I thought it was hilarious. The guy wasn't being directly offensive to me, but neither was I to him. I was just doing things at my seat. Yes, I knew how he would interpret them, but frankly I thought we'd be just even.

None of this is ok and it’s quite frankly offensive to Muslims.

But it’s ok because the white person was racist.

It’s cool though let’s keep setting back cultural acceptance.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I spoke to a friend about it and she said I am pitying him and he can spend that money as he wishes
Ironically, indulging him would be preventing him from spending his money as he wishes. His precarious financial position is why it would be wrong not to indulge. You can take the money and spend it back on him responsibly, otherwise he'll spend it on findom internet women and be even worse off.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

therobit posted:

Yes you creep, you would be the rear end in a top hat for reporting innocent child pictures as CP. Id thou look away pool pictures of a kid and think there is or could be anything sexual about it then you are a creep.

....Did you read their edit at the end? It seemed like they were a child victim themselves and that's why they were so upset

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fallom posted:

Not related to any recent post here but from casual browsing the number of people recommending “have you considered opening your relationship?” on Reddit is seriously loving bizarre

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried opening your relationship"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

....Did you read their edit at the end? It seemed like they were a child victim themselves and that's why they were so upset

Doesn't matter even a little bit. They are reinforcing the sexualization of children with their gross interpretation of innocent photographs.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

It bbn would be reinforcing negative stereotypes if he blew up the plane. Since he didn't blow up the plane he was dispelling negative stereotypes. HTH.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

MarcusSA posted:

The negative stereotypes of uh.. *checks notes* praying.

None of what he did was any of anyone's business, Muslim, racist or others. If I'm muttering poo poo to myself you don't get a say about the content, and if that frightens you that's on your dumb rear end.

e: I'll deffo agree that there are smarter ways to risk being detained.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 6, 2019

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Rust Martialis posted:

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried opening your relationship"

Leave it to the French.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

therobit posted:

Doesn't matter even a little bit. They are reinforcing the sexualization of children with their gross interpretation of innocent photographs.

It’s not that OP is sexualizing children, it’s that they are aware creeps exist that do. I would never put naked pictures of my kid on the internet. I’m not ok with her being in some trove of spank material for pedophiles, regardless of whether she’s ever actually victimised because of it.

You can keep those pictures in a family photo album without posting them to Facebook.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Switchback posted:

It’s not that OP is sexualizing children, it’s that they are aware creeps exist that do. I would never put naked pictures of my kid on the internet. I’m not ok with her being in some trove of spank material for pedophiles, regardless of whether she’s ever actually victimised because of it.

You can keep those pictures in a family photo album without posting them to Facebook.

The post is totally focused on the child's age and attire. For a 5 year old. It's creepy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

i vomit kittens posted:

deep
national
wounds

whats the deal with the 911 shirt. i thought big dog was a christian organization

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

christmas boots posted:

whats the deal with the 911 shirt. i thought big dog was a christian organization

It's a bootleg,

https://twitter.com/bigdogclub/status/1039694981559070720?lang=en

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Ironically, indulging him would be preventing him from spending his money as he wishes. His precarious financial position is why it would be wrong not to indulge. You can take the money and spend it back on him responsibly, otherwise he'll spend it on findom internet women and be even worse off.

I’m on a fixed income and I hope I can find a findom who will force me to properly budget. What’s Pick been up to? I’m sure she knows her way around finances and her weird spider fingers have to be good for filling out spreadsheets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about weddings makes sense considering that basically the Western idea of a wedding was invented by a specific English royal wedding and every one since then has been an attempt to live up to that ideal, avoiding as many deviations as possible regardless of the requirements.

That said apparently China has something similar where it's trendy for the bride and bridesmaids to spend days crying before the wedding because one queen did before being married to the Emperor one time or something, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
What about crying after the wedding? Asking for a friend.