Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Somebody's grumpy he missed his chance to buy bathwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In anime game chat I've been playing through final fantasy 14's latest expansion and they tilted hard into the unsettling and horrifying. Early spoiler from the expansion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqwZbjk43s

Warcraft doesn't got poo poo on the body horror they're pulling off in this game.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Is the new final fantasy good?

I saw an ad with Hannibal buress and the kid who played Spider-Man and it looked decent

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

Is the new final fantasy good?

I saw an ad with Hannibal buress and the kid who played Spider-Man and it looked decent

It's a slog to get to the current content in 14, because you have 70 levels of story to go through, and the original and each of the expansions is about 20-30 hours or so of story content. So, you'd be looking at close to a month before you could do the current expansions content, if you played religiously. Buying a level skip is an option but you would be absolutely clueless as to what is going on in the story, and unlike Warcraft the storyline plays a central role in the game.

Is it a good game? Yes. Is it for everyone? Definitely not. Also buying it in the post expansion rush right now would be pretty dumb as you wouldn't be able to create a character, as the servers are pretty much maxed out right now, and will be until the activity levels die down in a month or 2.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 6, 2019

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Oh so it’s an expansion to an already existing game and not a whole new game?

Do they usually hype expansions like this?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mlmp08 posted:

This is awful and there’s no good reason to watch it, but at least it’s not cannibalism? The tweet makes it.

Would not watch at work!

https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1146970407427166209?s=21

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

Oh so it’s an expansion to an already existing game and not a whole new game?

Do they usually hype expansions like this?

Yeah generally, they put as much work into it as a mainline final fantasy game so it would only make sense to try to pull new players in and bring old ones who may have stopped playing back.

You should check out the online cinematic trailers for the game, they put a hell of a lot of work into them, most are at least 5 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

This was the one they released back in 2013 because the first version was an absolute failure, and they literally rebuilt the game from the ground up in 18 months in absolute secrecy while still continuing support for the existing failed game. Players who were still playing the first version when the servers went offline got treated to this video when they blew up the world and shut the servers down. The adventurers fighting on the front line are ostensibly the player character and their party.

The reveal of the reboot was kind of a surprise, noone knew at the time what they were going to do with the game at the time as it was assumed they'd shut it down and nothing would follow, so the trailer revealing the rebooted game was a pretty big surprise and also generated a hell of a lot of hype for the game at the time.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 6, 2019

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

That looks dope as hell.

I’ll check out the vids on youtube.

Thanks for the info.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/CaravellaEthan/status/1146982454084767744?s=20

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

what have i done to this thread

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ffxiv is the only mmo worth playing these days. the ps4 version is really cool if you dont feel like using kb/m.

also theres a trial version on PC

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
For anyone that wants to try ff14, just know that the first ~30 levels are fairly handholdy and easy. They basically introduced modern WoW-style MMOs to their Japanese audience, and their tutorials really show they knew that going in. If you've never played an MMO or anything similar to WoW it won't be so bad (How do I put abilities on hotbars? What does rested EXP mean?) but if you've played WoW you can pretty safely disable tutorials and then look up the ~%10 of stuff that's radically different enough that you might not figure it out intuitively (equip a new weapon type to change class, save item sets so you can change classes with a single button, do all your class quests and the Main Story Quests to unlock poo poo, etc.)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

plus the global cooldown (the time between button presses) for attacks are significantly longer than wow, which makes it a lil easier tbh

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also soloing your way through it is much less of a shitshow than it was for wow

and you never need alts for banks or classes or crafters. your character can switch to any class on the fly and your levels/stats adjust

idk ffxiv did so much for quality of life stuff for mmos is ridiculous. and seeing how bad 1.0 was its even more of a mindblow

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
gently caress, is awful loving up my thread replies? Ignore me

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It gets plenty complicated though, it's by no means an easy game, I really enjoy the boss fights.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

shiva phase 2 still my fave

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also soloing your way through it is much less of a shitshow than it was for wow

and you never need alts for banks or classes or crafters. your character can switch to any class on the fly and your levels/stats adjust

idk ffxiv did so much for quality of life stuff for mmos is ridiculous. and seeing how bad 1.0 was its even more of a mindblow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

Look up no clips documentary series on the rebuilding of the game. It is an amazing feat that they did so, and it's also amazing that they released the original in the state that it was in. They don't pull any punches in the interviews with the employees who were working there when the game was being made.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

shiva phase 2 still my fave

I need a sittep. I put this game down right before Heavensword and I was at the final base game dungeon. Assume it will take me 4 hours of fategrinding to remember what my buttons do and all travel time will be double as I don't know where poo poo is anymore. How many hours to Manderwho, I heard he is a wonderful man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

I need a sittep. I put this game down right before Heavensword and I was at the final base game dungeon. Assume it will take me 4 hours of fategrinding to remember what my buttons do and all travel time will be double as I don't know where poo poo is anymore. How many hours to Manderwho, I heard he is a wonderful man.

so you're level 50 now? lots of questing and poo poo, but with everyone coming back for shadowbringers you can prolly spam dungeons and rock hard to 80, but theres a lot to do in heavensward and stormblood

also they did a decent job streamlining classes, but i hear healing is a pain so i guess my white mage aint doing poo poo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know what's going on but I laughed really hard at the Nietsche tweet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I don't know what's going on but I laughed really hard at the Nietsche tweet.

final fantasy wow edition made a new expansion. it added the gunblade tank class from ff8 and the dancer dps class from ffv, the lion dudes from ffx and the bunny girls from fft/ff12 as races and its pretty good

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Heh

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Sorry, but it has to be posted:

All yours for the low low price of $9 999.99

https://belledelphine.club/product/gamergirl-pee/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If its real its illegal to sell like that.

also :barf:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

can we draw a line and maybe talk about games instead

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I like games

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

can we draw a line and maybe talk about games instead

Where's your star to back that up, bitch?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Where's your star to back that up, bitch?

look man your posting is a reflection of you if you want to talk about piss then talk about piss

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

look man your posting is a reflection of you if you want to talk about piss then talk about piss

Yeah, I wish I could sell some of my pee bottles for $10k

e: I still probably have some aging somewhere in Afghanistan

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Some of you weirdos probably have a refilled gatorade bottle or two under your desk right now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please, I'm older and wiser now. Condom catheter running to a CamelBak strapped to my leg. I can game for 12 hours straight

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Please, I'm older and wiser now. Condom catheter running to a CamelBak strapped to my leg. I can game for 12 hours straight

Pro tier setup

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Piss jugs, Ricky. It's the way of the road :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The wife and I played Final Fantasy 14 back when the Heavensword xpac came out. We got to max level and promptly discovered there were like fifty more quests we had to do for no xp to open up the expansion stuff. Did the game ever get less dumb than that? Because we got like twenty some odd missions in and decided we didn't care anymore.