Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lmao. flashing one device’s firmware to another is a huge failure of the firmware verification system. that’s phone bricking territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Buying: Non-Apple Smartwatch

what’s the over-under on how many days whatever garbage that Samsung is now selling will reappear on SA Mart?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

EL BROMANCE posted:

Buying: Non-Apple Smartwatch

what’s the over-under on how many days whatever garbage that Samsung is now selling will reappear on SA Mart?

why post something on sa mart that has no reshape value?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

lmao. flashing one device’s firmware to another is a huge failure of the firmware verification system. that’s phone bricking territory

flashing through adb is pretty much just a dd of a lump of bytes. since it is the lowest level of recovery (intended for the oem service etc.) it makes reasonable sense not to add failure modes to it. tinkerers are very adb-happy, but that says more about them than it does about this aspect of googles software design.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

is there anyway to convince people to buy jtags and s2i linkages so they can reflash and break more home appliances ?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

is there anyway to convince people to buy jtags and s2i linkages so they can reflash and break more home appliances ?

god I hope not, I don't want to have to figure out if a previous tenant hosed with the refrigerator

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
extracting rents is theft, op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

extracting rents is theft, op

well aware, I too am a tenant

(i.e. I don't own a place or rent anything out)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pebble watches kicked rear end. rip to the pebble. gently caress you fitbit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Smythe posted:

pebble watches kicked rear end. rip to the pebble. gently caress you fitbit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did anyone own those? they're right up there with the old ms spot/fossil watches

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
they were the most successful kickstarter project in history when the og pebble got funded so at least they had a cult following. they were fun to write watchfaces for.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
they were the palm pre of smart watches p much

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
wasn’t the selling point of the pebble kickstarter that they were using e-ink for the display, but the actual product used a regular black and white LCD and they just called it “e-paper”

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

creationist believer posted:

wasn’t the selling point of the pebble kickstarter that they were using e-ink for the display, but the actual product used a regular black and white LCD and they just called it “e-paper”

nah, the original kickstarter called it e-paper, but that was deliberately named to be confused with e-ink

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Pebble lasted like a week on a charge, had cool themes, good software, and a good vibrate motor. Rip. RIP to a drat real one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My Pebble was destroyed when I fell off a ladder lol and busted it up good. See you in the afterlife my friend.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i choose to believe that watch sacrificed itself to save you from a tbi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

traumatic brist injury

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
i had a first gen pebble, it was loving great but it had a (apparently pretty common) screen issue where it'd get all glitchy and hosed and you'd need to like squeeze the device to make the bits inside connect together (or dismantle the whole fuckin thing and apply a more permanent fix)

it was still fuckin great for what i used it for and i'd still be using a pebble of some kind if fitbit hadn't smothered the whole thing with a pillow in its sleep

someone pls convince timb to allow custom watchfaces so i can have my glorious child DIN Time back

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
knowing how loving dumb modern apple is, i cant wait for the lockscreen

IT IS

FORTY

PAST

NINE AND

SIXTEEN

SECONDS

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the pebble was all a "smart"watch should have been but it didn't sell ads or apps so it cannot exist in the terrible present

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wild EEPROM posted:

knowing how loving dumb modern apple is, i cant wait for the lockscreen

IT IS

FORTY

PAST

NINE AND

SIXTEEN

SECONDS

you are thinking about every android lock screen from 2012.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

every single one.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
so that means it's gonna be even bigger lols if apple does that, right?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

creationist believer posted:

the panel was made by Sharp who called it that so they were just piggybacking I guess. E-ink requires zero power to maintain state, E-Paper aka Memory LCDs require some power to stay on but it's on the order of 10 micro-watts. I remember that your battery life would be affected by which design you chose, because the amount of energy required to change what was on-screen was determined by how many vertical columns needed to be modified.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jimmy Carter posted:

the panel was made by Sharp who called it that so they were just piggybacking I guess. E-ink requires zero power to maintain state, E-Paper aka Memory LCDs require some power to stay on but it's on the order of 10 micro-watts. I remember that your battery life would be affected by which design you chose, because the amount of energy required to change what was on-screen was determined by how many vertical columns needed to be modified.

oh, that's less egregious

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I own an e-Ink watch and it takes so long to refresh the screen that it can’t display seconds.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
think mine was a pebble 2 and it was color. i had a mondrian watchface which was cool.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

I own an e-Ink watch and it takes so long to refresh the screen that it can’t display seconds.

more like e-stink amirite

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Midjack posted:

more like e-stink amirite

wrong.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
loving idiot

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat owned

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a digital Casio watch but rarely wear it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i got a fitbit for xmas and it sucks bad (much like my posts).

it doesn't detect when i raise my wrist so i need to hit a button with my other hand to check the time which defeats the purpose of a watch in an age where everyone has a phone on them.

syncing with your phone sucks rear end. there's like 4 different ways/modes and they're all bad. i cant stress how bad it is. loses sync constantly and you often have to manually sync it (mine hasn't synced since jul 1st).

fitbit app sucks

fibit doesn't surface weather information to watchfaces so people had to use yahoo weather and they changed their api so most of them don't even work anymore

tracking mode interface sucks... like if you start tracking a workout you can no longer do anything else with it (like control audio or use a stopwatch) and there's barely any support for weightlifting.

no smart alarm

button shortcuts cant be changed.

it's real bad

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

anroid preperation h

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i want to believe that the msn broadcast or whatever that went out piggybacked to FM radio stations is still keeping some weird old products up to date with stock price details

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

oh nope it seems very much dead

https://web.archive.org/web/20111109133756/https://www.msndirect.com/MSNDirectServiceAnnouncement.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

MS with the goofy as gently caress & ahead of its time idea that they never could finish because the company was/is ignorant to the idea of appealing to another category of hollow aspirational lifestyles