Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

i want all of the weird rpgs/srpgs/action games/rts games on the saturn to be translated into english

give me the digimon video game that's basically just the closest thing to a saturn version of hypnospace outlaw but with digimon
How as a Digimon fan for twenty years have I not ever known about this game?

Like I even knew about all the Wonderswan games for more than a decade, but never this one.

I would definitely check out a Wachenroder English translation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

They don't even combine to look like a cross, what the hell?
Take a closer look, they have something opposite the grip. They're already crosses on their own.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also her irises

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So feel free to carry on with the current conversation but I have a random question. To me, music is of paramount importance in a great RPG because musical storytelling is an absolutely vital component of really immersing me in a work. i listen to songs and think about what those songs are saying and what they make me feel.

But even though I'm not a huge fan of the game, I always come back to Lavos' Theme in Chrono Trigge r.
https://youtu.be/nReqeBSp_WY?t=70

For folks who do love CT as much as I know others do, what do you make of this? It starts off very obvious and maybe even a bit generic with heavy organ and it's very slow and intimidating. It fits a world-destroying alien. Then it gets to the part I linked to and totally switches gears. It goes from telling you to be afraid to telling me to...what, feel sad? That is all I get from that part of the track, a feeling of tragedy.

My only thought is that because you will probably only really hear Lavos' theme in full during the first fight with it where it emulates all the bosses you have faced throughout the game that this section of the song isn't about Lavos so much as it's about the beautiful tragedy of time. Things rise and then flourish and then fade away.

I dunno, this song always just come to the forefront of my mind when I think about CT.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also her irises

haven't you ever seen somebody cross their eyes before :q:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

I would definitely check out a Wachenroder English translation though.

give me wachenroder, sakura wars, sakura wars 2, bulk slash, quo vadis, quo vadis 2, steamgear mash, assault suit leynos 2, dino island, linda cube kanzenban, magical night dreams cotton 2, cotton boomerang, shinrei jusatsushi taroumaru, super tempo, stellar assault ss, jungle park saturn shima, eiyuu shigan gal act heroism, digital monsters ver s digimon tamers and jung rhythm in english

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

haven't you ever seen somebody cross their eyes before :q:

aayyyyy

The Colonel posted:

give me wachenroder, sakura wars, sakura wars 2, bulk slash, quo vadis, quo vadis 2, steamgear mash, assault suit leynos 2, dino island, linda cube kanzenban, magical night dreams cotton 2, cotton boomerang, shinrei jusatsushi taroumaru, super tempo, stellar assault ss, jungle park saturn shima, eiyuu shigan gal act heroism, digital monsters ver s digimon tamers and jung rhythm in english

I kinda want the Blue Destiny games too, even if they're kinda bad

and Nadesico

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kirbysuperstar posted:

aayyyyy

I kinda want the Blue Destiny games too, even if they're kinda bad

and Nadesico

oh yeah, the nadesico game has a cool opening

maybe we're asking for too much though. i mean, we already got the greatest saturn game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh but also give rayearth an actual translation

and silhouette mirage

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

playing growlanser 2 and, being a working designs game, i have the sneaking suspicion that the difficulty for some of these missions was 'enhanced'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
difficulty isn't "enhanced" on growlanser 2+3 afaik. it's just one of those games that strongly encourages knowing exactly what the gently caress you're doing, or otherwise exploring especially difficult content in NG+.

i assume you're either talking about one of the early/midgame wolfgang missions, or one of the harder arieta ones. they're actually hard on purpose, but doable the "best way" even on your first playthrough, and mostly comes down to skill and gem builds. if you get a full Mission Complete on them you unlock secret endings or alternate paths

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 7, 2019

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I just did the arieta one where you have to protect a bunch of villagers+snipe her before she opens a door for the mission complete. and I had no good gems on anyone because I have gamer disease and put the level up gems on everyone lol. Still doable but just, very very little margin for error.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Hey friend as always if someone hacked 'em I'd translate 'em.

Actually Sakura Wars is almost done. Maybe I could talk that guy into doing some of these once that's done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's probably not going to happen, but I really hope they take the time to un-gently caress the cheap translation on both games. It's better in Hacker's Memory at least, but hoo-boy is Cyber Sleuth's really shoddy in places.

Also they're still excellent games and Cyber Sleuth's a personal favourite. It'd also mean that it'll actually get a proper Australian release, which only Hacker's Memory got. Hacker's Memory is a side-game that is fully reliant on the expectation you played and beat Cyber Sleuth for as to what the gently caress is actually going on in the background of the side-game story :v:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

oh yeah, the nadesico game has a cool opening

maybe we're asking for too much though. i mean, we already got the greatest saturn game

That's a sick logo at least

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

Hey friend as always if someone hacked 'em I'd translate 'em.

Actually Sakura Wars is almost done. Maybe I could talk that guy into doing some of these once that's done.

please don't actually talk them into doing jung rhythm it's not a very good game lol

it would be interesting to see how you'd even do a fan tl for dino island though, you'd have to like program in subtitles. i guess it'd be like the advanced next level of doing fansubs

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

please don't actually talk them into doing jung rhythm it's not a very good game lol

it would be interesting to see how you'd even do a fan tl for dino island though, you'd have to like program in subtitles. i guess it'd be like the advanced next level of doing fansubs

Wachenroder is a really solid possibility though because it's built on the same base as Shining Force 3 and SF3 has an extensive set of tools and notes available. But just in general the guy hacking Sakura Wars is a Saturn wizard and I'm pretty sure he can take apart any game on the system. The stuff he's done with Sakura Wars is absolutely phenomenal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Getsuya posted:

Wachenroder is a really solid possibility though because it's built on the same base as Shining Force 3 and SF3 has an extensive set of tools and notes available. But just in general the guy hacking Sakura Wars is a Saturn wizard and I'm pretty sure he can take apart any game on the system. The stuff he's done with Sakura Wars is absolutely phenomenal.

well, if a fan tl of wachenroder gets put out, i'll definitely give it a look cause i love the music and art for that game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

I choose the 3rd option

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I wish there were more bosses in Ayesha. You don’t really have to engage with a lot of the more interesting bits of combat tactics with normal fights. It’s awesome having 4 different multi-attacks scattered in the turn order and trying to make sure you can pop your special attacks as much as possible.

Also I’m probably getting Marion’s end because I really like her.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bad news about dlc party members

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

I'm pretty sure Absolute Zero, the group who did a lot of Tales game fan translations, programmed subtitles for at least one of their fan translations. Too bad they don't do romhacking any more.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I wish there were more bosses in Ayesha. You don’t really have to engage with a lot of the more interesting bits of combat tactics with normal fights. It’s awesome having 4 different multi-attacks scattered in the turn order and trying to make sure you can pop your special attacks as much as possible.

Also I’m probably getting Marion’s end because I really like her.

atelier games don't tend to have a lot of bosses, it feels like a lot of the time especially in lulua normal enemy placeholders get left in places it seems like there should be a boss because there wasn't enough time to design or model an actual boss encounter.

some of the bosses that are there especially post-game ones tend to be pretty good though

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dragon Force is a game that needs to exist more.
Shining Force III is...probably not quite worth the effort to fully translate even if it's one of the more in-demand Saturn games.
I mean it's good but I bounced off it. II was better.
And with the advent of Fire Emblem is just kinda looks like a relic of its time.

Also: How the gently caress did I not realize Siralim 3 has been out since last October? Oh well, at least I got it 50% off.
proudly tucks 7.50$ back into his pocket

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 7, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zereth posted:

Take a closer look, they have something opposite the grip. They're already crosses on their own.

I'm setting myself up to get owned here but I don't having a physical quirk like that is enough to start naming moves after it. Would still say the same if a guy had something like Dragon jaw shaped kneecaps.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm setting myself up to get owned here but I don't having a physical quirk like that is enough to start naming moves after it. Would still say the same if a guy had something like Dragon jaw shaped kneecaps.

If we stop doing that then the entire Digimon naming scheme falls apart

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

bad news about dlc party members

Well that sucks. Plus gives no indication that they’re DLC. I’ve been using Marion and Ophilia as my mains for half the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

Well that sucks. Plus gives no indication that they’re DLC. I’ve been using Marion and Ophilia as my mains for half the game.

Yeah they're the type of Atelier dlc where they have a lot of plot events without the dlc but can't be used in combat unless you buy it.

And sadly not playable at all in the sequels

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 7, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
actually speaking of aletier

I didn't realize most of it was actually on steam, so I wasn't paying attention to the chat of "what are the good ones" before. What's a good one to grab? (That's on steam, ofc)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

I didn't realize most of it was actually on steam, so I wasn't paying attention to the chat of "what are the good ones" before. What's a good one to grab? (That's on steam, ofc)

sadly the ones people like the best generally (the dusk games) are the ones not on steam

that said rorona dx is pretty good too

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Lydie & Suelle is solid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Lydie & Suelle is solid

I’m plating it on the switch right now and I’m enjoying it as my first one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m plating it on the switch right now and I’m enjoying it as my first one.

Literally me like 15 months ago

And I know I’m not exactly an impartial commentator here since I ultimately went and sank money and time into equipment to play it for the internet but it had crafting and combat systems I could pick up fast enough and characters and story that hooked me start to finish

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I played Sophie first and really disliked it but Rorona grabbed my heart. I believe the rest of the Arland games will be as nice.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'll give Lydie and Co a shot and look at Rorona after, then, thanks gang.

yeesh full price tho-

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they never put them on any real sale either because atelier is the only thing gust makes that makes any money, so you're paying full price

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Maybe next major holiday like Christmas or Golden Week 2020 they’ll have one but yeah if the price point is too high for you then it may be worth waiting a bit

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 8, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

KT has 30% off sales every once in a while

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I really loved all the theorycraft potential in Siralim 2 (I'll give up a lot incl nonlinearity for this) and the bosses were cool but I got really sick of it because almost every single dungeon event (the things you do to earn god favor and progress) was a fight but then you also had roaming monsters you had to fight for comparatively little reward that you couldn't really avoid once you aggroed them so you had all these pointless filler fights between the same fights you needed to progress and it just got really repetitive and irritating. Is the dungeoncrawling at all improved in 3?

bump cuz i found out it's on 50% sale for 24 more hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

bump cuz i found out it's on 50% sale for 24 more hours

Generally you just have to activate the god altar then find the teleporter to the next floor. Favor is picking up items mostly but isn't required I believe. Monsters can still be kinda hard to avoid if they aggro you. Steam has refunds now so if you don't enjoy it in the first hour you can always refund it.