Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nodosaur posted:

What I don't get about this "elemental imbalance in shard causes calamity in the Source" thing is... what does this mean about Bahamut? That was because of actual choices and actions undertaken by Garleans and Ascians, not something that happened in another dimension. Was that NOT an Umbral Calamity?

It was not, no.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

S.J. posted:

Ninjas do less damage because they make everyone else hit harder. It's their thing. They do have plenty of buttons to hit though.

I'm aware of Trick Attacks existence, but I think the disparity is currently a lot bigger than it was before, or at least it feels worse than it did before. I think the primary issue I have with Ninja now is the forced GCD clipping I have to do constantly due to Fuma Shuriken being nerfed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Kongming posted:

I was really enjoying the Ninja changes during the leveling experience but now that I'm level 80 I feel like I have to press twice as many buttons to do less damage than everyone else. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Nope! Trick Attack's existence means you will forever do relatively low damage. And the changes to mudras and ninki mean you better be buttoning your rear end off lest you accidentally shuriken when you meant to Hyosho/Raiton. Join me in the fields of Meisui Planning.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

It was not, no.

Then why the hell are the Ascians involved in that business? And what about the thing we're trying to stave off now? We've already been told the Black Rose is involved in what triggers a calamity. How does the buildup of light in the First contribute to what is basically a scheme by Varis? And what about the sixth Umbral Calamity, which was set off by the actions of the kingdoms of Mhach, Amdapor, and Nym?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 7, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The ascians were using him like they use and manipulate everyone else.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Then why the hell are the Ascians involved in that business? And what about the thing we're trying to stave off now? We've already been told the Black Rose is involved in what triggers a calamity. How does the buildup of light in the First contribute to what is basically a scheme by Varis?

Here's how I understood it. It's a two part scheme. They need the buildup of aether on a shard and then they need the catastrophe in the Source to create a rift large enough for the aether in the shard to be absorbed. So Bahamut and Black Rose are necessary events for the rejoining to occur.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

It was not, no.

It was, yes. The Ascians said it was, talk about it as if it was, made fancy holograms depicting it as such, and so on. It was a Calamity that destroyed one of the Shards. Only seven worlds remain, counting the Source, and one of those is the useless, hellish Void.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kongming posted:

Here's how I understood it. It's a two part scheme. They need the buildup of aether on a shard and then they need the catastrophe in the Source to create a rift large enough for the aether in the shard to be absorbed. So Bahamut and Black Rose are necessary events for the rejoining to occur.

This is pretty much right. It's also important to note that this doesn't stop the Empire from using Black Rose, it just won't be a mass extinction event because it won't be empowered by aether from the First being absorbed by the first. They can still use it as a nasty weapon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

It was, yes. The Ascians said it was, talk about it as if it was, made fancy holograms depicting it as such, and so on. It was a Calamity that destroyed one of the Shards. Only seven worlds remain, counting the Source, and one of those is the useless, hellish Void.

If you can find the specific cutscene I'll believe you, but to the best of my knowledge Bahamut destroying poo poo is a case of the people labelling it as such not knowing what a true Calamity really is in metaphysical terms.

It's not nearly as world shaking and there's no

Global catastrophic imbalance of aether. It doesn't really fit any of the criteria we know. Bahamut's rampage was entirely localized to a fairly small region

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nodosaur posted:

What I don't get about this "elemental imbalance in shard causes calamity in the Source" thing is... what does this mean about Bahamut? That was because of actual choices and actions undertaken by Garleans and Ascians, not something that happened in another dimension. Was that NOT an Umbral Calamity?

The idea is that the aetherial imbalance amplifies events already in motion (that have also been orchestrated by the Ascians). The example given was the Empire's poison gas: Black Rose. On its own it's just a cruel but effective weapon for killing the empire's enemies. But when you add in the Light aether flowing in from the First, it would have become a worldwide disaster that expands far beyond the empire's control and wipes out most life on the planet.

Presumably the Bahamut disaster was amplified by a simultaneous influx of Fire aether or whatever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Didn't Bahamut's rampage cause a worldwide aetheric disturbance with side effects like literally changing the climate of all of Coerthas?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

If you can find the specific cutscene I'll believe you, but to the best of my knowledge Bahamut destroying poo poo is a case of the people labelling it as such not knowing what a true Calamity really is in metaphysical terms.

We had Ascians, standing on a cliff, declaring "yep, the Ardor sure is going well" as Bahamut was raining down fire. You're given this cutscene before you even leave the first city. You have Minfillia explaining it to us when we first learned about the shards and the purpose of the Calamities. And when Emet-Selch is doing his demonstrative display in the Crystarium on the nature of their work, seven worlds rejoin to the Source. The seventh is a baleful Dalamud Red. The game's not been obtuse.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
There are still definitely only 6 shards remaining, so if Bahamut wasn't the 7th Umbral Calamity, that implies that there was a different, even more terrible calamity, that for some reason nobody remembers or talks about ever.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Hell, Bahamut's rampage hosed up certain aetherial flows so bad it turned Coerthas from a vibrant meadowland into an eternally-frozen waste.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Also Bahamut has a cast in UCoB named "Seventh Umbral Era"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

We had Ascians, standing on a cliff, declaring "yep, the Ardor sure is going well" as Bahamut was raining down fire. You're given this cutscene before you even leave the first city. You have Minfillia explaining it to us when we first learned about the shards and the purpose of the Calamities. And when Emet-Selch is doing his demonstrative display in the Crystarium on the nature of their work, seven worlds rejoin to the Source. The seventh is a baleful Dalamud Red. The game's not been obtuse.

That's fair, but it is noticeably out of proportion with literally every Calamity so that is metaphysically weird.

A particular kind of aether is supposed to go wild on a global scale by both Urianger and Emet-Selch's explanations and it...really didn't here. Why are all six of the others world wide apocalypses that kill millions but not this one?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Meiteron posted:

An entire list of all the leitmotifs is beyond my effort in a break at work but I can get a little bit into how leitmotifs are organized in all the various pieces in the game. There are a few important ones which are constantly reused:

FFXIV: Realm Reborn has it's own unique motif which is most clearly portrayed in Torn From the Heavens. Here's a link to the song and you can hear it starting very early, at 0:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSM4tAeEAA

There's obviously the crystal prelude and even the battle theme intro stuck in there too, which will show up everywhere.

The Realm Reborn motif shows up everywhere in 2.0 music; dungeons, boss fights, area zones. They also tend to call back to this when you're reaching some major climax in the story, even beyond 2.0. You can hear it by warping to Little Ala Mhigo and walking outside, if I'm remembering my zone music correctly; it shows up as part of the musical climax of Praetorium's theme, it shows up in Baelsar's Wall as the last dungeon of HW, and it shows up in the last fight against the Savage version of Omega (whose track is called simply From The Heavens and is an even more epic version of the linked song above).

Meanwhile if you're looking for leitmotifs in the later expansions it's pretty easy to track them. You want to listen to the trailer song (Heavensward, Stormblood, Shadowbringers) and you want to listen to the vocal credits song (Dragonsong, Revolutions, Tomorrow and Tomorrow respectively), because the primary leitmotifs of the expansion are usually most fully expressed there and spread between other songs in the expansion. SB also includes a third song - The Measure of His Reach, which as the Ala Mhigan anthem also shows up in many SB songs.

Stormblood's theme was maybe overused in it's expansion, but Revolutions sneaks into some surprising places - Nightbloom, the first phase for Tsukuyomi, does a dramatic rendition of it, appropriate for what's essentially the final plot thread of SB that gets tied off before they start work on building to Shadowbringers.

Additionally there are mini-motifs for every zone. Each expansion has had a very solid link between an area and the dungeons contained within the area. As an example, you might have a strong theme for an area like Azim Steppe, then a chiller piano version of the same theme for the Steppe's night time track, and then a more dramatic version for Bardam's Mettle, which is the dungeon located in the same area. You can see the same thing in effect for Yanxia, and while Yanxia has two dungeons they both interpret Yanxia's theme, in dramatically different ways; however, it's still the same leitmotif for both.

There are other notable songs that have strong thematic connections but maybe don't get spread too much into different tracks:

Thunderer was used for Behemoth and Twintania in 2.0 along with the fight against Lahabrea, but now it shows up mostly when you're dealing with Ascians in the story and it's pretty safe to consider it an Ascian theme. Meteor is a slower, menacing theme that was originally the theme of Nael van Darnus, and is referenced in the more active song, Tempest, when you fight Nael in second coil. Since then it's been expanded to more of the Garleans as a "this is a bad Garlean leader doing menacing things" theme. Garleans get a bunch of themes, actually - The Emperor's Wont, Steel Reason, Imperial Will, and Meteor, although there's not really a motif that connects any of them.

Alexander ended up with a pretty strong set of leitmotifs as well - all you need to do for this one is listen to Locus and Metal, which are either referenced or sampled directly for most of the other tracks.

The Four Lords primal fights in SB all had a motif between the three as well. Listen to Amatsu Kaze, Byakko's theme, when the first active vocal section kicks in at about 1:00, and note the melody. Now listen to Sunrise, Suzaku's theme, and at about 0:28 when the english lyrics kick in you can hear a rock guitar in the background playing the same motif! It also shows up in From the Dragon's Wake, Seiryu's theme, although it's a lot more subtle there - you have to listen to the shamisen (the kind of twangy japanese string instrument) and you can pick it up at certain places.

TL;DR: motifs can usually be organized first by expansion, and then by zone, with notable recurring pieces for specific adversaries and events. Start from expansion trailer themes and work outwards.

One thing that floored me when I realized it was that this little theme that played in minor Heavensward towns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU2r9G_B3SQ

Is, in fact, the same basic sequence used in Revenge Twofold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms1_fL1eJ-o

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Bahumat was sealed away before he could do more damage, and even during the minutes he was free he utterly reshaped the landscape of many of Eorzeas areas ad well as utterly destroying the Sahagin breeding grounds to boot

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Bahumat was sealed away before he could do more damage, and even during the minutes he was free he utterly reshaped the landscape of many of Eorzeas areas ad well as utterly destroying the Sahagin breeding grounds to boot

In theory though that shouldn't matter. By the way Calamities are described, Bahamut should have just been a catalyst for the barrier to break between Eorzea and <insert overloaded shard here>. Once that happens, whether Bahamut is locked up or not the flow should continue from <insert overloaded shard here>. Much like how the War of the Magi didn't need to keep going for the Flood to keep happening.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just think of the Seventh as the unaspected Calamity

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

That's fair, but it is noticeably out of proportion with literally every Calamity so that is metaphysically weird.

A particular kind of aether is supposed to go wild on a global scale by both Urianger and Emet-Selch's explanations and it...really didn't here. Why are all six of the others world wide apocalypses that kill millions but not this one?

Because of the WoL and Louisoix. That's pretty much it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's overthinking something that's been told to us in very direct terms.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe the Shard that got rejoined was just a really small one?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ironslave posted:

tbf this describes a lot of this thread's speculation

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
its crystal mom and phoenix dad

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Because Phoenix/Louisoux managed to stop Bahamut dead in its tracks before things got completely catastrophic. The dragon almost glassed an entire content in under 3 minutes and poo poo would have been way, way worse if he was left to his own devices. But what he did was enough to trigger a Calamity and gently caress over one of the shards, so the Ascians aren't complaining

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 7, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

MechaX posted:

Because Phoenix/Louisoux managed to stop Bahamut dead in its tracks before things got completely catastrophic. The dragon almost glassed an entire content in under 3 minutes and poo poo would have been way, way worse if he was left to his own devices.

Also, it's worth noting that Louisoux stopping Bahamut didn't mean the huge aetheric release didn't happen - it means two happened, and we were lucky enough that they canceled each other out this time

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

Kongming posted:

I was really enjoying the Ninja changes during the leveling experience but now that I'm level 80 I feel like I have to press twice as many buttons to do less damage than everyone else. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

You aren't wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

No I'm aware that "don't think about it too hard" is the answer, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contradict their own lore. They explained how Calamities work in no uncertain terms and it doesn't fit. Most likely because at the time ARR was written they still didn't have a firm grasp on the metaphysics behind it, that was written later.

MechaX posted:

Because Phoenix/Louisoux managed to stop Bahamut dead in its tracks before things got completely catastrophic. The dragon almost glassed an entire content in under 3 minutes and poo poo would have been way, way worse if he was left to his own devices. But what he did was enough to trigger a Calamity and gently caress over one of the shards, so the Ascians aren't complaining

Again, you misunderstand the explanation they themselves gave us.

Whether the triggering event is stopped or not does not matter. The source of the cataclysm is external and always has been.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Nodosaur posted:

You misunderstand the mechanics. The aetheric imbalance tilts towards the source and causes a rejoining when a bad thing aligns with the element of an overloaded shard. They don't cause the calamities, they just make them worse. So the Ascians went to a shard, tilted it to be aspected towards Earth aether, and then whenever anything bad happens that's Earth aligned it gets amplified an order of magnitude. Meaning an average 6 magnitude earthquake suddenly ravages the land so badly it destroys the Richter scale and completely totals a civilization, sinking the Crystal Tower and leaving nothing left on land. Or Bahamut bursts out of his shell (as planned by the Ascians) when it's aligned Umbrally (also planned by the Ascians) and suddenly he's got enough power to totally destroy Eorzea, despite being overpowered and captured trivially by the Allagans previously.

Black Rose is bad juju and woulda killed a lot of people like any other powerful Garlean weapon, but when it happens while another shard is overloaded on light, it instead becomes a superweapon that grows out of control and nearly wipes out all life on the source. We could've stopped it on either end, but stopping Black Rose alone doesn't mean some other disaster couldn't have gotten turbocharged by the light alignment and rejoined the First with the Source in the process. We saw how the light alignment was already loving with things in the Burn patch, when Y'shtola mentions how the aether is unusually still and out of wack.

Minera fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 7, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

funkymonks posted:

Post MSQ Spoilers The only thing I didn’t like was the stinger after the MSQ with Zenos. He is probably my main issue with SB and now he is going to make ShB patch content less interesting. He sucks. He looks like a creep and is a bad boring villain. His motivations are really loving stupid. Everything about him is bad.

I think he's pretty great tbh.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I wasn't expecting to like dancer as much as I do. The actual dance mechanics seems right up my alley, and it seems pretty relaxed as far as OGCDs goes.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Going back to bad names chat, I started playing at the end of Heavensward and rolled a Xaela Au Ra. I just used the random name generator because I liked the Mongolian naming aesthetic. I ended up with Cirina Oronir which was cool at the time, but shits been completely stupid since Azim Steppe became a thing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Iron Prince posted:

Going back to bad names chat, I started playing at the end of Heavensward and rolled a Xaela Au Ra. I just used the random name generator because I liked the Mongolian naming aesthetic. I ended up with Cirina Oronir which was cool at the time, but shits been completely stupid since Azim Steppe became a thing

This exact same thing happened to me. Though at least I didn't end up with a name belonging to one of the major npcs of the area, just one of the minor ones.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have far too much time on my hands.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

okay for real though is superbolide actually useful? it seems hilariously dumb

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
people tell me that in organized play superbolide is amazing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

S.J. posted:

okay for real though is superbolide actually useful? it seems hilariously dumb

It's as useful as Living Dead, in that your healer has to know what you're doing or else you could trigger a wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you press the button when you're already low it effectively has no penalty.