Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Citation needed

What? That’s objectively true. There are a lot of articles about it. It’s mainly nitpicks that only matter because of the argument itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Looked at Deliverance: KC's creator's twitter page, and he was retweeting someone arguing against forgiving student debt, so... Yes.

When criticized the guy switched his Twitter icon to a selfie with a "gently caress your feelings" t-shirt.

He just seems like an rear end in a top hat in general.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

While I’m quite sure they have unconscious biases like everyone else, have bad opinions, made errors, or outright sacrificed accuracy in large part to make a playable game, the focus on history, attempts to communicate historical info through the codex, and the apparent efforts to study medieval swordfighting were what made me like the game.

I realize the game’s realism is obviously an illusion played up by the marketing team, but I take issue with saying they didn’t care or stating everything is wrong without so much as a link.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mokinokaro posted:

When criticized the guy switched his Twitter icon to a selfie with a "gently caress your feelings" t-shirt.

He just seems like an rear end in a top hat in general.

anyone that would wear a shirt like that is an automatic asshat, no questions

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I just, I don't even know how to browse Steam releases with so many free to play bad games and things that aren't games. Sad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The most effective close-combat weapon in the game is the longbow. Not sure of the historicity of this?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I want Mordhau to put in a realism toggle but you can't respawn unless you turn it off.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

While these guys are doing it for all the wrong reasons, a client side option or setting to restrict or use a preset character model for all combatants is not even that uncommon in competitive multiplayer games for visual clarity or performance.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They have since stated that there are no plans for a filter and their artists "were ill-informed."

Baby steps.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Avalerion posted:

While these guys are doing it for all the wrong reasons, a client side option or setting to restrict or use a preset character model for all combatants is not even that uncommon in competitive multiplayer games for visual clarity or performance.

I mean hell I use something called nobling for Dota2 to remove all the cosmetics and voice lines because they make the game so obnoxious. I refunded Mordhau but in my short time with it I did find it somewhat hard to tell at an immediate glance if someone was on my team or not, but still. Making a toggle for women and not all the wild outfit combinations that all look wildly different was definitely an idea targeted at a specific audience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stay! Stay! Democratic People's Republic of Korea!

quote:

Try and navigate your way through one of the world's most tightly controlled dictatorships, with two cute soldiers by your side. Avoid getting shot, executed, black-bagged, or tried for treason as you explore Pyongyang's most famous tourist attractions.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was unironically interested in this game as the reviews pose it as a FFT successor, but I was much more drawn in by this weird trailer

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whew, glad they completed that legend!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I... got a little creeped out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/967440/Kick_The_Anime_Simulator/

Kinda reminded of that flash game on Newgrounds where you beat up that little buddy thing. But even at just the anime level, I sort of become uncomfortable. 2real4me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Half the fun (at least) of Mordhau is playing 15th century dolly dressup, but if you were in some kind of pro competition or something it would be trivially easy to set up a costume just for that with the prescribed cosmetic options anyway. i currently have 46 costumes just from dicking around for fun and gimmicks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jamfrost posted:

Kinda reminded of that flash game on Newgrounds where you beat up that little buddy thing.

Apparently they're making crappy mobile-game knockoffs of that now. I discovered the other week that my 5-year-old cousin had one on his kindle tablet.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Apparently they're making crappy mobile-game knockoffs of that now. I discovered the other week that my 5-year-old cousin had one on his kindle tablet.

I've been seeing ads for those things every time I watch anything on YouTube via mobile. I guess because Flash is dying, this is okay to do now? Not that that'd stop them either way.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've been seeing ads for those things every time I watch anything on YouTube via mobile. I guess because Flash is dying, this is okay to do now? Not that that'd stop them either way.

Man, I wish Youtube would advertise me things I could post about. Instead they really think I'm interested in visiting Jerusalem

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

patch mordhau so every player sees their own character with dark skin and everyone else's with pale

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Doc Hawkins posted:

patch mordhau so every player sees their own character with dark skin and everyone else's with pale
A reverse America's Army?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Kick the loving racists out, you already have their money.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Dareon posted:

Kick the loving racists out, you already have their money.

They'd be kicking themselves out then.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Pull a RUST - everyone is hardcoded to a randomized skin colour and gender.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

slap me and kiss me posted:

I'm with the skin colour thing, but gender? I'm not trans, but I wouldn't want to assign a gender to a trans person.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

I'm with the skin colour thing, but gender? I'm not trans, but I wouldn't want to assign a gender to a trans person.

If everyone is a butt naked bald man we are all trans :viggo:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

slap me and kiss me posted:

This sadly did not fix the racism/sexism in RUST.

Instead the racists/sexists who got stuck as minority often play up racist/sexist stereotypes for laughs.

EDIT: /\ and yeah it did seriously upset at least one trans person who complained about being reverted to their birth sex in game (I hope that's the right term? I'm not sure exactly how to talk about that part respectfully.)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: /\ and yeah it did seriously upset at least one trans person who complained about being reverted to their birth sex in game (I hope that's the right term? I'm not sure exactly how to talk about that part respectfully.)

Oh I am aware, I wasn't being serious. Just pointing out that even when everyone is a naked white man, the white men will still find reasons to complain

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Quicksilver6 posted:

While I’m quite sure they have unconscious biases like everyone else, have bad opinions, made errors, or outright sacrificed accuracy in large part to make a playable game, the focus on history, attempts to communicate historical info through the codex, and the apparent efforts to study medieval swordfighting were what made me like the game.

I realize the game’s realism is obviously an illusion played up by the marketing team, but I take issue with saying they didn’t care or stating everything is wrong without so much as a link.

It's not unconscious and acting like it is is exactly the problem. If you don't agree, or it's not enough to matter to your enjoyment, that's fine. Your life, your choice, but acting like it's just old fashioned "They may not know better." They do and haven't done anything to hide it.

Remember, realism to them is that no black people existed during that time in that area, except that you know, they did.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

bother about it, but who can afford it? i sure as hell can't afford to pay a persistent community manager and i can't be bothered to manage one myself, i'm busy with my own poo poo. you can't say "oh just bother about it!" because that poo poo is a major expense and not everyone, least of all tiny devs, can shoulder it. people aren't made of money, but you need it to hire people to these positions.

Lol lock and delete racist threads and ban known bigots. It ain't loving hard. It's a button on the admin section of the forum.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Communist Bear posted:

Lol lock and delete racist threads and ban known bigots. It ain't loving hard. It's a button on the admin section of the forum.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Just put up a disclaimer and a thing like they have on rollercoasters only it's a picture of a Confederate flag with the caption "you must be this racist to enter".

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
More anime: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096430/HUNTER/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

Warning: Rude dialogues and women often little dressed or undressed!

Oh no, not rude dialogues.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Seems like someone made a lovely generic retrogame knockoff as a joke but as far as the trailer indicates it also seems to be a lovely generic retrogame knockoff for serious.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066260/Devolver_Bootleg/

Hotline Milwaukee
Brutal, fast-paced, stealth action and a whole lot of blood. From your garbage person apartment in historically interesting and relevant Milwaukee, pick up the phone, and answer the call--of murder. Follow instructions and follow the stairs deeper and deeper into the mysterious basement. Where does it go? Who are you?

etc

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I'm not sure if you are posting that ironically or not, but it's by the studio that made/published all the games they are parodying in the pack. So I'm guessing it looking like a discount ripoff is intentional.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the term in this case is "demake"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Canopus250 posted:

I'm not sure if you are posting that ironically or not, but it's by the studio that made/published all the games they are parodying in the pack. So I'm guessing it looking like a discount ripoff is intentional.

A low effort cash-grab is not a low effort cash-grab when a publisher sells a fake-bootleg knockoff of their own IP, got it.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

silentsnack posted:

A low effort cash-grab is not a low effort cash-grab when a publisher sells a fake-bootleg knockoff of their own IP, got it.
there's nothing low-effort about Devolver Bootleg, lol. do you think those sprites were done in an hour?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Hunter aims to surprise you by introducing constant change and a lot of ideas like some of the 30 sexy characters who can join your team and more surprises but I can't say too much about it for maximum surprise effect."

I know this probably means "we didn't actually put in any content," but my secret hope is that the dev has a bizarro fetish and the "surprise" is that your anime tit game is actually a furry ABDL toenail-vore game or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

silentsnack posted:

That's not remotely what I said, but I suppose I had the benefit of seeing Giant Bomb stream the games so I knew what they were. The Gungeon one honestly looks better to me than the real game, Ape Out Jr. is a great throwback with actual mechanics, and PikuBiku is dumb fun.