Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

It's perfectly fine. The descent section was well put together. I'd keep it up unless you run out of room.

Yeah, the 32 limit has me bugged because I have a few courses I already know I want to make or play with and I've already made like, 22 or so.
Still, guess I'll keep it around. I don't hate it but I'm just nervous others would as Night Sky seems to be the least popular next to underground.

I'm going to play this later and I hope your mii has the thwomp costume unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
made a short autoscroll lava level themed on beetles and bowser. someone tell me if the keys are too obvious or too not obvious to get.

6Y0-0QW-NLG

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
Made another one with some enemy limit shenanigans. All is fine until you hit the P switch...

Cursed P Switch in the Woods
S6X-6GD-SVF

I expect this to be kind of tricky. Here's a hint. Disarm the note blocks by hitting them all first before the P switch.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Endless expert has been a complete dumpster fire of 0 like/2 play courses today for me. I need to play more goon levels instead.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

DorianGravy posted:

Hmm, pretty good (and challenging). I like airship levels a lot, and I liked the branching paths towards the beginning of this level. Still, it had a few aspects that held it back from being better:

1) There's a bit too much going on in the level. There are too many different enemy types, and there are too many bosses at the end. Three Boom Booms, a Bowser, and a Bowser Jr? It's simply too much. The Bowser fight was fun, but I would cut the other two. As it is, there's just too much happening in the level.

2) The segment with the snake blocks was way too tough. I got through the early part of the level, then died at the snake blocks 4 or 5 times in a row. A 5-block snake, with cannonballs and Boos in the cramped quarters? That's just a little absurd. To get past it, I eventually decided to simply take a hit and jump across the Munchers to get to the next ship. If a player is ever willing to intentionally take damage to get out of a situation, that part of the level needs to be improved. Like I said in my first comment, it's okay to hold back a little. Snake blocks are especially challenging because you, as the creator, know exactly how they will move and how the player should move to stay safe. Players don't know that, and trying to figure it out through multiple deaths isn't much fun.

3) Maybe this was intentional on your part, but I think I skipped a part of the level. At the end, I saw a ship above me with a checkpoint flag that I'd never been to. If that was just decoration, I still found it confusing. Also, I didn't realize at first that the boxes in the in the room with the Boom Booms contained power-ups. You could make things like that more obvious, but that's up to you.

4) This is personal preference, but I prefer airship levels to be auto-scroll (at a slow setting). It emphasizes that you're on a fleet of airships on the move, and (in my personal opinion) makes things more fun. If the level doesn't auto-scroll, the airships just feel like they are hovering.

Despite all of these comment, the level was still good. Point #2, about the snake block segment, is the only thing that really annoyed me. Either make that segment far easier (get rid of the Boos entirely and make the snake block longer, for a start) or get rid of that part entirely. Without that segment (and perhaps with fewer bosses), the level is the right amount of challenge for a tougher-that-normal level.

Thanks! Both my levels involve experimenting various and open-ended ways to do Bowser fights and was hoping with the airship that by placing Bowser Jr on the bricks at the end that people would just go for either the goal or the P switch. I wanted to use multiple Boom Booms to encourage exploration of the chamber, both for the power-ups and for the upper ledge but I probably should have removed the pit and just done two.

The extra checkpoint is really just for flavor, but I put in a hidden shortcut to bypass both the Boom Boom and Bowser fights that is visible from the snake block. I died on the snake block in testing as well so I'll probably make the block longer to give more room for error and reupload.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Came out of SA retirement to steal some codes from this thread and post mine:

Sabotage Jr’s Rocket 1.1
JDH-TGP-K8G

It’s a pretty big vertical level (OG Mario airship). It took forever and I’m worried it’s a bit long and uneven, but I wanted to give back to one of these threads and I couldn’t keep tweaking it anymore.

Edited with new code and no place to get stuck that I definitely should have caught!!

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2019

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

story time

Torment Beyond the Grave
VH8-6NT-07G

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Princeps32 posted:

Came out of SA retirement to steal some codes from this thread and post mine:

Sabotage Jr’s Rocket
‪LKR QW6 5LF‬

It’s a pretty big vertical level (OG Mario airship). It took forever and I’m worried it’s a bit long and uneven, but I wanted to give back to one of these threads and I couldn’t keep tweaking it anymore.

I liked everything up until I got softlocked at the very end because the level design was leading me up when it actually wanted something else of me. I left a comment where it happened.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I liked everything up until I got softlocked at the very end because the level design was leading me up when it actually wanted something else of me. I left a comment where it happened.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna fix that

Edit: Old level deleted, fixed version now up. Thanks again!

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Good level. A few tricky jumps for the bonus coins, but pretty easy to just beat the level. Nice job.

Thanks! I was intending something that's simple for Endless but if you want to explore a bit you're rewarded. My original "basic" Mario level was a bit barebones.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Debating on keeping this level around, I wanted to try and make a Night Sky level and have it be y'know. Fun. But it's kinda tough to do so.

Mario Moon Jump
GT8 - N57 - L0H

If it's a bust it's a bust :shobon:

You're a real son of a bitch for putting spikes at the top of those claws you gently caress!

Good level.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Played some Random Acts of Mario.

Air Power

Lives up to the short and sweet tag. I liked it a lot for what's there, definitely would have benefited from being expanded into a longer level.

Dr. Mario in the Whale

I liked the theme but the intro is way too long for how annoying and finicky the donut bumper section is.

Slings & Things

The claw section was really frustrating, but since it's the only real challenge and not very lethal it works out. Good level, loved the concept.

Freezy-Scorchy Land

Fun gimmick, love the aesthetics. Difficulty is a bit uneven but at least the hard part is right after the checkpoint. One of the better levels I've seen overall.

Crossing Skullstone Canyon

:swoon: Fantastic level! Looks cool, challenge level is good. Kind of sprawling, felt more like a Yoshi's Island level than SMB proper but there ain't a thing wrong with that. Ran a little bit long maybe but it's good enough that I'm not really complaining.

The Sinking Sky Continent

I really wanted to like this level but it's just not my cup of tea. The gimmick is extremely cool but it doesn't seem to do a lot with it beyond a lot of precision jumping. I can appreciate that it probably does what it sets out to but it's not for me.

Bully Bluffs

Pretty nice level. I got burned by seeing some coins and dropping down directly into a spike block, but it's a pretty easy level overall so it wasn't a huge deal. Fun gimmick, executed well, doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've made a multiplayer versus level 08m-S1W-HDG. Its the first one i've tried

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It may be my psychosis talking, but it feels like Nintendo has tweaked the level selection for the endless mode. I'm actually getting playable levels now in expert. Not easy, not free, but playable. I'm at 16 lives with six levels cleared at the moment.

Fake edit: 17 lives and seven cleared. And that was because the last guy didn't put any coins or 1-ups in his stage.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
New Course

Beat the Shroom!!!
02Q-3T3-9SG

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i've got choice words for spectral werewolf

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1147982756036562944

Straight White Shark posted:

The Sinking Sky Continent

I really wanted to like this level but it's just not my cup of tea. The gimmick is extremely cool but it doesn't seem to do a lot with it beyond a lot of precision jumping. I can appreciate that it probably does what it sets out to but it's not for me.

yeah i wanted it to be as fast as possible for most of the level but that doesn't give you a lot of room to work with, so I erred towards making it simpler just to avoid too much trial and error.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Welp, just uploaded my first course.

Burning Lava Fish

XDG-D5Q-QQF

Just a standard level messing around with fish, lava, bombs and claws

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

potatocubed posted:

Hi, I've never made a Mario level before so this might be garbage.

Turtle Wax On, Turtle Wax Off
SXK-CDC-YKG

This level was super well done in my books.

- You gave the player a mechanic and escalated it.
- You didn't hide any traps that players couldn't react to.
- Players can put in more effort for a higher score.
The level didn't overstay its welcome.

I just want to throw this out there even though I know it's been said. If you think your level is crap, but it's done :justpost:. You'll only find out what it people think if you get it out there. First levels can be awful and that can be half the fun for some people. Put something you like together, get some feedback, and get back to it afterwards. The only truly awful Mario levels are the ones nobody gets to play. Even enemy spam levels can be fun or at least funny.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Nice Course
2YK-N4T-MVG

A course for nice people only, with no enemies or hazards, except for endless pits. How fast can you beat it? Try to find the secret.

*I guess it technically has enemies, but only fake ones.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 9, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d3lness posted:

The only truly awful Mario levels are the ones nobody gets to play.

[Looks at the "New Level" tab in courses.]

Yeah, I'm not sure that's true.

On a very related topic, I'm now pretty certain that something has been done to the difficulty rankings of courses. I'm flying up the expert leaderboard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Good Sphere posted:

Nice Course
2YK-N4T-MVG

A course for nice people only, with no enemies or hazards, except for endless pits. How fast can you beat it? Try to find the secret.

You've inspired me to make an enemy-free zone, and just have general hazards throughout. Thanks!

Looking forward to trying yours out!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You've inspired me to make an enemy-free zone, and just have general hazards throughout. Thanks!

Looking forward to trying yours out!

Welcome. :)

I heard one tactic on making a good level is to make it more about the platforming than the enemies, even though mine isn’t a good example of that.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I am so excited for the next two levels I want to make, it's killing me that this isn't one of those Sundays where I have hours of downtime at work.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Played some Endless and some of the courses in the New section, left lots of likes and comments, but I'm happy to retreat back to the goon fortress of quality now. I'm curious to see what the jaunt does to my play count if anything, though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've made 3 Marios now. That might be a world record?

The Cursèd Armada is about some boats that have more ghosts and fire bars than safety regulations recommend!

If anyone has feedback on the difficulty in particular I'd appreciate it. This was my first time trying to make a more challenging level - it should hopefully flow well (and I did test to make sure the firebar timing works out if you're speedrunning) but I know it's hard to judge your own course's difficulty.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I got excited when I figured out you could replicate the bowser fight from SMB3 so I tried making a final level type castle course: Father & Son Fortress.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1147997019484540929

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my face when partner says i've been playing too much mario maker

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played some of the levels in this thread at random so heres what I think!!!!!!!

Shoes in the Sky
DNJ-HVM-SHF

This one is pretty good, the only problem is you have too many enemies and I don't really think you need that many. For example, the room with Boom Boom doesn't need the fire spitting piranha plant because boom boom + the fire bars are already tricky.

Turtle Wax On, Turtle Wax Off
SXK-CDC-YKG

This one is nice. You had an idea and you made it progressively more difficult over the level. Solid.

Burning Lava Fish
XDG-D5Q-QQF

I almost gave up in in the room after the first checkpoint room. Cheep cheeps are annoying on their own but having to avoid a never ending stream of flaming cheep cheeps while trying to do jumps over a lava pit and being careful not to jump too high and lose progress but also make it to the door in time was a real bear. I made it through though and then almost quit on the Bowser Jr fight. Having to contend with him, bombs, more flaming cheep cheeps, spikes, and a lava pit was just too much. I did end up beating it though. You had an idea through the whole stage but it was just too spicy for me.

Torment Beyond the Grave
VH8-6NT-07G

Made me cry 10/10

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Got a new stage

maustrials No.2
Q94-RYR-4YF

Puzzle oriented, multiplayer friendly, probably 4-star difficulty if you're a completionist

Has an optional section where you get to fight basically every enemy in a gauntlet of challenges at the very end, or a mini-kaizo speedrun shortcut

Accidentally deleted my first stage locally, trying to remove it from Courseworld to make some changes 😔

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 8, 2019

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

I played some of the levels in this thread at random so heres what I think!!!!!!!

Shoes in the Sky
DNJ-HVM-SHF

This one is pretty good, the only problem is you have too many enemies and I don't really think you need that many. For example, the room with Boom Boom doesn't need the fire spitting piranha plant because boom boom + the fire bars are already tricky.
I think you're right that I went overboard with enemies. I'll have to be more careful about that in the future. I admit the piranha plant in the boss room mainly exists to justify the shellmet in the secret room.

Thanks for the feedback. It really helps.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I tried for an hour on that level and couldn’t get past the drat second buzzy beetle bit. Everything felt fair until that part because the timing felt like it changed on me. Like if I was a frame or two off I was gonna get killed. and that lower path man... rude

I will try it again when I’m in a better place. It’s a great design but that one part just feels over infuriating

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I came across this course and am ridiculously inspired but I don't think I could do anything half as good. Try it out:

DDS-CKW-HVF

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fortis posted:

I got excited when I figured out you could replicate the bowser fight from SMB3 so I tried making a final level type castle course: Father & Son Fortress.

https://twitter.com/pkfortis/status/1147997019484540929

The course design here was on point and really did remind me of a final level castle stage. Nice use of the rare castle night theme.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game made me buy a capacitive stylus. I still miss the old WiiU screen, the stylus there just seemed so much easier to use and more reliable. I know capacitive can do multi-touch but I've never once needed multi-touch on a switch game.

Gotta get on downloading goon levels now that I've got my bearings in the game.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Is a standalone boss fight an acceptable level course? This fight with Meowser takes 20 hits, but I've been having a surprising amount of fun with it in playtesting.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is a standalone boss fight an acceptable level course? This fight with Meowser takes 20 hits, but I've been having a surprising amount of fun with it in playtesting.

Only if you've come up with one heck of a spin on it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I had to make a course about sliding on slopes. And I had to make a course with the new goombrats. And I had to make a course that used the upside down theme. And I had to make a course using clear conditions. So I did all of those things.

Please enjoy Super Mario Maker 2's only course based on the contours of my teeth, Fight Plaque!

6F8-86M-8SG

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Good Sphere posted:

Nice Course
2YK-N4T-MVG

this was cool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Nintendo would implement an accessibility character that cant die and has unlimited jumping, but if you play as it you can't record times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

J-Spot posted:

Only if you've come up with one heck of a spin on it.

Winged Meowser versus Cat Suit, 3 bells to get to 20 scratches. I think the terrain I laid out makes it interesting, but I know I have pretty unusual tastes and not everyone digs the things I do.

I feel like pro players might find it boring and new players impenetrable, but I've played several rounds and it still feels good to me. :shrug: