Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

M a x posted:

Probably a silly question but Is there a good way to try out Crokinole at gencon?

There was a booth demoing it last year. They had a bunch of family and kids games, don’t remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mayday Games

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Gen con is expensive as gently caress, and I don't have anyone to go with, so I was probably just going to come one day and pick up some RPGs. Any new releases worth checking out? The only I know are Cyberpunk Red's starter set, and Shadowrun 6th Ed.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Gen con is expensive as gently caress, and I don't have anyone to go with, so I was probably just going to come one day and pick up some RPGs. Any new releases worth checking out? The only I know are Cyberpunk Red's starter set, and Shadowrun 6th Ed.

You can probably save money by passing on Shadowrun 6th based on the Shadowrun thread.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

CaptainRat posted:

You can probably save money by passing on Shadowrun 6th based on the Shadowrun thread.

a) how the gently caress would they know anything about it?

b) it has to be better than 5e

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
They had the starter box for Shadowrun 6e at Origins. I was very tempted to pick it up but from what I am hearing online am glad I passed it up.

Not sure on new RPG releases for Gen Con but surly there will be some. I say just hit the auction and buy the best hits of the past (and some of the worst)

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Deviant posted:

b) it has to be better than 5e

Mostly by reading the information on what's been released and inferring information from it. Of note is that the release schedule looks to be quite rushed with little-to-no time for proofreading, and given Catalyst's track record this doesn't really inspire confidence. Released rules changes sound like they're neutral-to-bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Deviant posted:

welcome to the internet

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Pathfinder 2e is coming out at GenCon as well if that is something that interests you. I'm interested enough to at least pick it up, but figuring that it's going to be a horribly broken mess.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Eh, not a big Pathfinder fan personally. The things that have stuck out for me are Band of Blades, the Black Company-ish hack of Blades in the Dark, Cyberpunk Red, and maybe the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser DCC thing that is rumored to be releasing. It just feels like there isn't quite as much coming RPG-wise this year, so I'm making sure I'm not missing anything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

There is always at least one vendor in the hall that has stacks of old books for fairly cheap. I browsed last year but this time I'm definitely buying something.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, we have reached the point of popularity where someone makes a clearly horribly unoptimized Gen Con Event Planner application. I installed it just to be vaguely sure it was not Infinite Virus and so far so good. But. I also am mystified that it exists.

OgreNoah posted:

I live in Ypsilanti so if you're in town this year I can show you around!
Yay! I say it is unlikely, but the unlikelier I think it is that I will attend any event, the more likely it is that I show up anyway. Though I will have just been in the U.P. a month earlier, so it would be weird for me to be in Michigan again so soon. Gotta keep the Michigans minimal in your life.

Also I just read about this exceedingly special "could not look more like a scam if it tried" actual Word document e-mail attachment Gate Ten Parking sent out a while ago, and wow.

M a x posted:

Probably a silly question but Is there a good way to try out Crokinole at gencon?
There is nothing more Gen Con than learning about a new game for the first time and simultaneously discovering there is a championship tournament of that game taking place at Gen Con.

You would think if there was a tournament there would be casual play, too. Of this thing that is apparently real.

Also on the "potentially useful but obscure-ish things about Gen-Con" tip, here is a list of all the new vendors, all the vendors that attended in 2018 but are not returning, and all the vendors who changed their names in the past year. I always appreciate when someone else spends a little too long thinking about and working on projects of this kind of utility. R.I.P. Who North America even though I realize their actual store is, like, across town

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There is always at least one vendor in the hall that has stacks of old books for fairly cheap. I browsed last year but this time I'm definitely buying something.
Good. Though it definitely seems like the "stacks of old crap" vendors are virtually gone, though that could just be because Crazy Egor has been gone for years now and Troll & Toad seemingly puts all its non-collectible-card inventory in the Auction/Auction Store instead of selling it on the show floor.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

OgreNoah posted:

I live in Ypsilanti so if you're in town this year I can show you around!
Wait, WTF? I live in Ann Arbor and work in Ypsi. Why the hell are we not Gooning it up?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also on the "potentially useful but obscure-ish things about Gen-Con" tip, here is a list of all the new vendors, all the vendors that attended in 2018 but are not returning, and all the vendors who changed their names in the past year. I always appreciate when someone else spends a little too long thinking about and working on projects of this kind of utility. R.I.P. Who North America even though I realize their actual store is, like, across town

NO NOT KOMMANDO KILTS

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/gencon/comments/cb5f61/i70_going_from_airport_to_downtown_will_be_closed/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

quote:

Local native here and just saw this come across my work desk. Notice says that it will be all lanes shut down. It's not terribly far from the airport to convention center, but definitely add in some travel time if you're making that drive either from a plane ride, or if you're a local.

TLDR: INDOT will close all lanes of I-70 EB and WB from I-465 to the South Split on July 26 at 9 p.m. The closure will last for 9 days and all lanes will reopen on Monday, August 5 by 6 a.m.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Ilor posted:

Wait, WTF? I live in Ann Arbor and work in Ypsi. Why the hell are we not Gooning it up?

Well I work in Ann Arbor and live in Ypsi so i's probably like strangers passing at rush hour.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This city loves loving up

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, they scheduled it in may. It just... didn't stop raining until like 10 days ago.

The detour into downtown from the airport is pretty direct as such things go, but Washington St is probably going to be miserable during rush hour.

Edit: For reference, the closure is going to be the blue line

Haystack fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 10, 2019

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Bottom Liner posted:

The rain when they scheduled it was nuts. We have had like 4 or 5 days without rain for the first time in months.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
There's a lot of construction going on downtown right now, including the bus line on Meridian messing things up. I get the feeling traffic will be crazy this year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Something I should do every year and have never done is encourage everyone to take a good look at their nerdy books, games, and especially ephemera, and think to yourself: "would my life be better if there were a pile of dollars in my pocket where this item once sat?"

IF THE ANSWER IS YES

THEN CLICK HERE TO MAKE ALL YOUR WILDEST AUCTION-SELLING DREAMS COME TRUE!!!

Good things to sell:

* Basically anything anyone has ever wanted

Bad things to sell:

* Lamps with action figures crudely glued on
* Anything homemade really unless extraordinarily cool and/or priced at like $1

Any questions??? I will be monitoring this post without finishing it until registration is closed, at which point I will make this post.

(oh, registration closes sometime Saturday, July 28)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just found an unfinished quote on my laptop, gonna use this as an excuse to post again

Carteret posted:

NO NOT KOMMANDO KILTS
WHERE WILL I BE ABLE TO FIND A KILT NOW???

Oh I have one that probably cost as much as a top-of-the-line smartphone because my family is insane :smug: :smuggo: :smugkiltsman: :smugScottishmanwearingkilt: :/help:

So uh

We are only like two weeks out, what the hecky-shucks

Everyone must have been getting their Auction stuff ready to sell for the last week??????

WHERE IS MY WEDNESDAY VIEWING PARTY, WEDNESDAY VIEWING PARTY MAN?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I try to set them up but some named Quarex is always too busy. Maybe they can be post Gen Con viewings this year to keep that con buzz going.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I would be interested in selling some of my things at the auction, but I get the impression that I won't be making much money on these items. Is that true?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If it's board games, the virtual flea market is a solid bet: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/256766/gen-con-virtual-flea-market-2019

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Looking forward to someone getting banned from Gen-Con for openly selling things outside authorized spaces (though I imagine the buying takes place online)

Tenasscity posted:

I would be interested in selling some of my things at the auction, but I get the impression that I won't be making much money on these items. Is that true?
It is roughly as true as the value of the item. You do never know when something will be bid on when nobody who really wants it is in the room, but you also never know when something will end in a real bidding war. An extreme example from my own selling history before I started auctioneering was the time I sold my $10 voice changer toy and it went for about $60 because the auctioneer kept using it for the bidding process, making the audience laugh and raise the price.

What kinds of things would you sell? Anything rare and/or old (other than mass-market board games) is virtually guaranteed to get a good price in the collectibles auction, and either I or some of the other auctionkin in the thread can surely speculate with some accuracy as to your stuff's likelihood of selling well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Looking forward to someone getting banned from Gen-Con for openly selling things outside authorized spaces (though I imagine the buying takes place online)

The math trade is a free ticketed event and I believe the same person does the vfm, so it’s above board. But I’ll pay you to personally shuck my wares :v:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Seriously though, approved events aside, don't sell or buy stuff at Gen Con unless you are an exhibitor. I've read accounts on the Gen Con forums in the past about someone buying a magic card from someone in the ICC corridors, some ICC staff saw them do it, and immediately revoked their badges.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

that's kinda insane

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I didn’t even know that was a rule

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oops lmao

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

The math trade is a free ticketed event and I believe the same person does the vfm, so it’s above board. But I’ll pay you to personally shuck my wares :v:

I believe they do encourage anyone trading cash/gift cards in the math trade to do so outside of the convention, specifically to not run afoul of the rules.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Better tell your Orc friend to lay low for awhile the ICCPD are after him

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CellBlock posted:

I believe they do encourage anyone trading cash/gift cards in the math trade to do so outside of the convention, specifically to not run afoul of the rules.

Yeah they do, and to make it even messier this year some folks are talking about doing beer trades in it as well. That will be fun to watch.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Speaking of trades, is anyone interested in trading for a copy (or copies) of Freedom: The Underground Railroad? I wrote the historical background for the game, and part of my reward for doing so was 10 copies of the game. Most of these are still in shrink, I've planned on using them for pedagogical purposes, and probably will at some point, but I don't need all 10 for that. I would put it in the math trade but as an exhibitor there is no way I'll be able to attend it.

This is probably a terrible way to see what I am actually interested in since its out of date, but here are my BGG want lists. My #1 wanted OOP game right now is BSG: Daybreak expansion. If you want to just make offers for a copy of Freedom just go for it.
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/nesbit37?want=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

This is probably a terrible way to see what I am actually interested in since its out of date, but here are my BGG want lists. My #1 wanted OOP game right now is BSG: Daybreak expansion. If you want to just make offers for a copy of Freedom just go for it.
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/nesbit37?want=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

I saw a copy of CFNA this past weekend, but I found out that prices are super inflated due to it being on Big Bang Theory. $250 for a game that went for $120ish two years ago or so

I think BSG: Daybreak is impossible to find by itself, source: I have a copy of daybreak for trade/sell and get messages about it monthly, but nobody wants the whole set that I also want to get rid of

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
How much do you want for the full bsg set? I have the rest of it already, but depending on price not against just buying it all and selling or trading the rest of it.

Yeas, CFNA is stupid high right now but impatient, it isnt ever going to be cheap but it shouldn't stay this high forever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Let us all thank the Gen-Con Gods that Nemesis of Moles' orcish friend was not captured for mercantilism in 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

Shhh! Only if we engage in the time-honored tradition of $5 exchanging hands with a firm shake.

nesbit37 posted:

Seriously though, approved events aside, don't sell or buy stuff at Gen Con unless you are an exhibitor. I've read accounts on the Gen Con forums in the past about someone buying a magic card from someone in the ICC corridors, some ICC staff saw them do it, and immediately revoked their badges.
Yeah anyone who wants full release with their auctioned items has to come meet me outside the hall

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

How much do you want for the full bsg set? I have the rest of it already, but depending on price not against just buying it all and selling or trading the rest of it.

Yeas, CFNA is stupid high right now but impatient, it isnt ever going to be cheap but it shouldn't stay this high forever.

Are you an ICC staff member? You have to tell me if you’re an ICC staff member. :v:

My ask right now for the BSG set is high: $250, but I’m also not chomping at the bit to get rid of it. There’s not a lot of trade stuff I’m interested in atm unfortunately, mostly weird train games. Open to discussion of that though.

Also can I give you the other Dune stuff that I owe you at Gencon? Somehow I haven’t made it down to Philly in the last 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
$250 for the full BSG set? I can do that. Worth it to finally stop obsessing over ebay auctions.

Dont worry, I can flash you my exhibitors badge, we're licensed.

I may have some of those weird train games, let me know which you are looking for.