Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

I believe they mean johns, not victims.

Of course, still seems in poor taste to make a game of out the unfolding facts in a child sex trafficking ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to propose a betting pool on names revealed.

Steven Pinker.

Skippy McPants posted:

That seems in poor taste considering the nature of the crimes we're talking about here.

I was expecting Epstein to evade all justice, so this is more of a pleasant surprise than anything. Obviously, I hope that he and anyone he drags down with him die in prison.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is a long shot, but I'll guess OJ Simpson.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kith posted:

In this instance I can kinda-sorta see it being important because Triton's daughters were supposed to represent the Seven Seas and Ariel being the representative of the Red Sea doesn't make any sense without her being a redhead.

But that's also really reaching because very few people actually know that particular bit of trivia.

Even then I mean the Black Sea exists

Is that racist I don't know honest question

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Alana is the representative of the Black Sea so that can't be it, checkmate libs :smug:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just tell them that the Red Sea is just a goddamn name, it's not actually red,

And that the sea in question runs along the coast of Africa anyway, so having someone with African heritage play the role is far more appropriate than someone who looks like they're an extra from Brave.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm taking Sean Hannity.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Trump just complimented AOC by nicknaming her Evita (Peron).

Am I high?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

no, the last three years have been nothing but insane this really doesn't even register by this point

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Grouchio posted:

Am I high?

What? I don't even get it on any level.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Grouchio posted:

Am I high?

I'm high, and it still doesn't make any sense. Like...Eva Peron was of Spanish descent. And a hero to her people. And was abused and possibly lobotomized by her husband before dying in pain and leaving a spectacular corpse, that eventually ended up in a cemetery in Milan for some reason, and finally got interred with her late husband's corpse in Spain in a super secure vault.

Like...none of that has anything to do with AOC? I will admit, I am high, and also maybe not super familiar with AOC's overall record? Did she have a brush with cervical cancer I missed?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think it’s “Spanish name” + “pretty” + “articulate” but I’m not a brainworms scientist

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm sure all Trump knows about Evita comes from the musical about her, and musical in his mind likely equates to all flash, no substance. That's the angle this insult is coming from.

I'm not sure if he even knows that Evita was a real person, and not just a movie character.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Evita peron was formerly a prostitute, or at least someone who had publicly had a very transactional relationship with sex, so he's probably trying to call her a whore

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 8, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Evita peron was formerly a prostitute, or at least someone who had publicly had a very transactional relationship with sex, so he's probably trying to call her a whore

Wait, what? I know she ran away from poverty to work as an actress in Buenos Aires, but who's reporting that she was a prostitute?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Wait, what? I know she ran away from poverty to work as an actress in Buenos Aires, but who's reporting that she was a prostitute?

Read any of the biographies on her? she came out of industries that were at best prostitution adjacent at that era in Argentina before she established herself as a huge name. It ultimately added to her populist appeal, if anything.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Read any of the biographies on her? she came out of industries that were at best prostitution adjacent at that era in Argentina before she established herself as a huge name. It ultimately added to her populist appeal, if anything.

drat, nope, just some basic articles after I saw a YouTube doc about what happened to her corpse after she died. May have to add some to my reading list. Thanks!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

drat, nope, just some basic articles after I saw a YouTube doc about what happened to her corpse after she died. May have to add some to my reading list. Thanks!

To be clear, idk how like literally true it is, but it was absolutely a huge criticism leveled at her for a long time in her life as people objected to her, first, inclusion in the upper class, and later, as the face of women in Argentina.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In any case it’s pretty (darkly) funny to see just how not-real any of this is to him. It’s all appearances, it’s all movie tropes. Whether it’s how “beautiful” the chocolate cake is, or how “out of central casting” the generals are, or how AOC is just an analogue of a charismatic woman in politics who was played by Madonna, he’s still and always will be just starstruck by how he’s backstage in the worlds biggest movie.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At least AOC took that as a compliment.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xiahou Dun posted:

What? I don't even get it on any level.

They're both Latina.
And communist? I honestly don't know if he knows that. Also this is a very learned cut for how followers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This theory is predicated on Donny knowing something about something. It is very unlikely to be true.

Remember he thought Harris and Biden were arguing about how kids get to school. Literal bussing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Of course, still seems in poor taste to make a game of out the unfolding facts in a child sex trafficking ring.

Poor taste is not exactly verboten on SA

I say joke about any dark subject as long as the victims are not the punchline

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm sure all Trump knows about Evita comes from the musical about her, and musical in his mind likely equates to all flash, no substance. That's the angle this insult is coming from.

I'm not sure if he even knows that Evita was a real person, and not just a movie character.

Correction:

the commercials about the movie

there's no way Donald Trump watched a whole musical

The only connection is Vaguely Latinx Female Politician

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Maybe he did watch the entire movie, but he had his son fast-forward to all the action scenes.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Mierenneuker posted:

Maybe he did watch the entire movie, but he had his son fast-forward to all the action scenes.

I'm assuming Barron, as I doubt he trusts Don Jr. or Eric with the remote.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Eric has been a qualified remote control operator since his teenage years. (Note: this quote is ancient at this point).

quote:

The most direct but not exactly most serene way to travel to Mar-a-Lago, I discovered one weekend not long ago, is aboard Trump’s 727, the same aircraft he gave up during the blip and, after an almost decent interval, bought back. My fellow-passengers included Eric Javits, a lawyer and nephew of the late Senator Jacob Javits, bumming a ride; Ghislaine Maxwell, the daughter of the late publishing tycoon and inadequate swimmer Robert Maxwell, also bumming a ride; Matthew Calamari, a telephone-booth-size bodyguard who is the head of security for the entire Trump Organization; and Eric Trump, Donald’s thirteen-year-old son.

The solid-gold fixtures and hardware (sinks, seat-belt clasps, door hinges, screws), well-stocked bar and larder, queen-size bed, and bidet (easily outfitted with a leather-cushioned cover in case of sudden turbulence) implied hedonistic possibilities—the plane often ferried high rollers to Atlantic City—but I witnessed only good clean fun. We hadn’t been airborne long when Trump decided to watch a movie. He’d brought along “Michael,” a recent release, but twenty minutes after popping it into the VCR he got bored and switched to an old favorite, a Jean Claude Van Damme slugfest called “Bloodsport,” which he pronounced “an incredible, fantastic movie.” By assigning to his son the task of fast-forwarding through all the plot exposition—Trump’s goal being “to get this two-hour movie down to forty-five minutes”—he eliminated any lulls between the nose hammering, kidney tenderizing, and shin whacking. When a beefy bad guy who was about to squish a normal-sized good guy received a crippling blow to the scrotum, I laughed. “Admit it, you’re laughing!” Trump shouted. “You want to write that Donald Trump was loving this ridiculous Jean Claude Van Damme movie, but are you willing to put in there that you were loving it, too?”

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Data Graham posted:

In any case it’s pretty (darkly) funny to see just how not-real any of this is to him. It’s all appearances, it’s all movie tropes. Whether it’s how “beautiful” the chocolate cake is, or how “out of central casting” the generals are, or how AOC is just an analogue of a charismatic woman in politics who was played by Madonna, he’s still and always will be just starstruck by how he’s backstage in the worlds biggest movie.

In retrospect we probably should not have elected Michael Scott to high office.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Eric has been a qualified remote control operator since his teenage years. (Note: this quote is ancient at this point).
Maybe as president Trump should have a team of staffers on video editing workstations who can filter down movies to the 5-10 minutes that Trump's attention span will tolerate and delete anything that would hurt his ego?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Foreverially tiedup watching Jean-Claude Van Damme and loving it

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Jesus :(

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1148237743224496128

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

At the least there is this: https://abcnews.go.com/US/victim-loud-music-trial-shooter-jailhouse-phone-call/story?id=22558295

He will spend at least 60 years behind bars for the attempted murder charges. Prosecutors have indicated that they plan to retry Dunn on the first-degree murder charge.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hopefully they get somewhere, but who knows

https://twitter.com/RepValDemings/status/1148331164668743681

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Ted Cruz apparently was upset at bias [against him] over at Fox News.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/09/ted-cruz-fox-news-trump-american-carnage-book

quote:

After his victory speech, Cruz settled down to watching Fox News on his campaign bus. Alberta writes that he was initially pleased to see his photograph on the screen – an unusual bonus given blanket coverage of Trump by all main TV stations.

But then Sean Hannity, the unashamedly partisan and extreme rightwing Fox News host, interjected by pointing out Trump’s strong standing in upcoming primaries in New York, the north-east, Indiana and West Virginia. At that point, the author says, the Texan blew.

“What the gently caress?” he shouted, leaping from his seat and startling staff who had never seen him quite as agitated.

The end of the article is pretty funny too:

quote:

Alberta writes that Cruz told friends there was “no way in hell” he would subjugate himself to Trump in front of millions of viewers, remarking: “History isn’t kind to the man who holds Mussolini’s jacket.”

But they left out the punchline:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is so painfully stupid that i think it is considered news.

https://twitter.com/JackClayton617/status/1148419005889306624

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I feel like debunk is the wrong word here, but file that under example #4923 of misused words or analogies from conservative commentators.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Yeah, just like how Thomas Midgley drank tetraethyllead to own the libs.

He had to take a year off work due to lead poisoning, but is responsible for leaded gasoline, so that's fine.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I cannot believe Trump is making children drink toilet water. Get those kids some Diet Coke or something, jesus.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yeah, just like how Thomas Midgley drank tetraethyllead to own the libs.

He had to take a year off work due to lead poisoning, but is responsible for leaded gasoline, so that's fine.

He also was part of the team that invented CFCs

that dude has some issues with the environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I feel like scientists of that era can get a bit of leniency for stuff they didn't know would be bad.
We didn't really know how the continents actually moved or how that affected the environment back then, much less that CFCs would obliterate ozone or that the amount of CO2 we would later pump into the atmosphere could maybe doom us.

Note: this doesn't apply to poo poo like phrenology, lobotomies, etc. Some stuff you can pretty immediately tell is bad/bogus.