Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Pwnguin posted:

I am bad at naming things, so I'm probably just going to name all my levels after unrelated songs from now on.

Same, but I also name stuff after food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'd like to make a crumbling cathedral level. Is there any simple way of making things (preferably blocks or other solid objects) fall from the ceiling as Mario passes nearby/underneath?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Ruined Laboratory
DB9-JM5-07G

Night time forest with lots of environmental hazards and some enemies. SMB3.

I'm not super jazzed about how this turned out. I think it's very true to the theme of exploring some kind of industrial ruin and and I'm really proud of the visual design, but I think I needed more planning when it came to the stage gimmick and a more straightforward path through. It seems very difficult to make a key-based level that anyone will bother to finish, due to only having one checkpoint available. "Exploration" and "dangerous environment" asks a lot of players if you don't have some super fun sections that people won't mind replaying or so many power-ups that the whole thing becomes trivial.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Used the randomizer! Quick level for tonight. One of my featured blocks was impossible to use because it was a locked door and I couldn’t use a key or key coins so I had to make due with what I had. Here are the fruits of it.

Randomizer 1: Hop on Props

6WP-57H-8PF

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you ever wanna be instantly demoralized just watch a popular streamer play this game and get more plays and likes than you have total on one mediocre stage :saddowns:

DorianGravy posted:

I'd like to make a crumbling cathedral level. Is there any simple way of making things (preferably blocks or other solid objects) fall from the ceiling as Mario passes nearby/underneath?

Tracks. Make a track, place something on it, and then tap one of the ends. This will make anything on the track fall off when they reach the end. Blocks placed on tracks lose all collision with the ground (but not the player!) so you could make a bunch of tracks with blocks on them and hide them out of the players view up above. This would create the effect of falling objects.

How good of a level you can make with random blocks falling from the sky is debatable though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 8, 2019

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

My schtick is posting levels and posting my dogs, so here's my newest:

https://twitter.com/edropple/status/1148061644565692416

It's called Pyramid Schemes and I promise you it's completely, COMPLETELY on the level.

Pyramid Schemes
N0X-WG1-4PG

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Welcome to the thread, please add your levels to the spreadsheet using this form.

Edit:
:siren::siren:
Hi, I'm looking for details about this course which has the wrong code:
7/1/2019 23:52:33 Dresh Trapped in the Wizard's Archives 9MJ-5WY-47G Super Mario 2D World Ghost House "Story" #puzzle-solving #themed #exploration The sun is even more beautiful
Dresh doesn't appear to have posted in this thread, and does not have PMs, did anyone star them in game or anything?

Done and thank you for your service

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The 8 Pink Coins of Soluna Woods
23G-5JD-B1H

An exploration course that still keeps a few speedrun routes in mind.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Spikey posted:

A message for whichever one of you made the level Rickety Balancing act:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCK YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUU! But I beat it.

I also gave it a like to help you inflict it on other people.

looolllll you're welcome, be glad I dropped the screen combining seesaws with claws.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

If you ever wanna be instantly demoralized just watch a popular streamer play this game and get more plays and likes than you have total on one mediocre stage :saddowns:

Tracks. Make a track, place something on it, and then tap one of the ends. This will make anything on the track fall off when they reach the end. Blocks placed on tracks lose all collision with the ground (but not the player!) so you could make a bunch of tracks with blocks on them and hide them out of the players view up above. This would create the effect of falling objects.

How good of a level you can make with random blocks falling from the sky is debatable though.

Great, thanks! Yeah, I'll experiment with it to see if it's any fun. And if I do use it, I'll reserve it for certain sections. Maybe an escape out of the crumbling cathedral at the end?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pwnguin posted:

I am bad at naming things, so I'm probably just going to name all my levels after unrelated songs from now on.

I do all alliteration. Speaking of which:

Fungal Forest
D84-J26-4YF

I wanted to do something with NSMBU so I'd have at least one level with each style, but I hate how the wall jumping affects platforming. So I built the platforming around mushrooms which can't be wall jumped to. I also tried to make it easier than most of my previous levels.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DorianGravy posted:

Great, thanks! Yeah, I'll experiment with it to see if it's any fun. And if I do use it, I'll reserve it for certain sections. Maybe an escape out of the crumbling cathedral at the end?

trapped in a game of tetris

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Intl Cron posted:

I'd appreciate it if people could check out this level I added to the spreadsheet - I wanted to experiment with the "darkness/illumination" mechanics in the night-mode Ghost Houses.

Also, shout-out to all you dope-rear end, clever Mario Makers - and to the creator of Random Acts of Mario. Playing through the spreadsheet has been some of the best Mario Maker 2 has had to offer, so far!

I feel like it's a bit too complex and busy. The darkness mechanic puts a lot of mental pressure on the player, so you should make the enemies and platforming a bit simpler to compensate. The puzzles themselves were good, but the ones with enemies usually suffered for it - for example, the first one where you have to wall-jump between barely-visible on/off blocks didn't really need the giant Boos, and they just felt annoying since they'd inevitably maneuver themselves into a position that blocked the player if you took more than a couple of tries to nail it.

In general, I often felt like the light wasn't in quite the right place (especially with the fireworks blocks, which usually lit up nothing but empty wall), and it wasn't always completely clear which way to go, which led me to jump into pits a couple of times thinking it was the way forward.

Bluff Buster posted:

Welp, just uploaded my first course.

Burning Lava Fish

XDG-D5Q-QQF

Just a standard level messing around with fish, lava, bombs and claws

Not unbeatable, but pretty hard. The Cheep Cheeps from pipes and Bullet Blasters tend to pile up, since you can't get rid of them and they can follow you around the level without regard for terrain. And most of the challenges tend to force the player to complete them in a narrow time window that doesn't leave much room for dodging flaming fish. As for the Bowser Jr fight, that one is just mean. The boss and the uneven terrain are enough to focus on; throw in fish and Bob-ombs and it becomes pretty overwhelming.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

The 8 Pink Coins of Soluna Woods
23G-5JD-B1H

An exploration course that still keeps a few speedrun routes in mind.

This was neat! I really like the mushroom trees and the time lapse idea was clever.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'd like some feedback on this level before I add it to the spreadsheet.

The Tomb of Amenpoketep
D21-JQB-6TF

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Pwnguin posted:

Monkey Gone to Heaven
GR5-HFX-RVF

Idk what a kaizo is and am new to Mario Maker so don't have much valuable input, but this was pretty fun and satisfying once I got it figured out. I can see how it would be fun to optimize a run.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I'd like some feedback on this level before I add it to the spreadsheet.

The Tomb of Amenpoketep
D21-JQB-6TF

Since you clearly want to make refinements, I'm going to run down a few things that made me go, "Huh," while playing:

• The checkpoint on the roof wasn't visible after climbing up initially. I might have missed it if I didn't compulsively get on top of everything.
  • The invisible block with the p-switch isn't much fun. I found it, but unless the player knows that they're supposed to be looking for a switch they're more likely to stumble around there. If the block was visible it would still give people a challenge to hit and activate it.
  • At the bottom of the shaft, the sloped edge scraped the top off the "pokey".

But it's pretty good. I'd give it a like and comment, but you seem like you're going to delete this version soon.

Ali Zaybak
Oct 29, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Welcome to the thread, please add your levels to the spreadsheet using this form.

Edit:
:siren::siren:
Hi, I'm looking for details about this course which has the wrong code:
7/1/2019 23:52:33 Dresh Trapped in the Wizard's Archives 9MJ-5WY-47G Super Mario 2D World Ghost House "Story" #puzzle-solving #themed #exploration The sun is even more beautiful
Dresh doesn't appear to have posted in this thread, and does not have PMs, did anyone star them in game or anything?

Done! Thanks!

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I made a Contra level.

Contra!?

8GQ-WXQ-WBG

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what's fun? Spending seven minutes fighting a giant Meowser as you can get one claw swipe in before he jumps away and then spends forty seconds being completely unattackable. I wound up timing out on that course.

It's getting the point that if I see a Meowser fight I want to boo the course. He's might be the worst thing about the 3D World set and given that the theme includes the car that's quite an accomplishment.

justwright
Oct 13, 2012
Made a short ghost house level but I’m not sure if it’s terrible or not.

82S-FFT-GRG

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So late entry for the switch themed one:

Try Switch (Get 6)
LHX-5Y0-0VF

I took out several harder sections that I'm going to save for future levels

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Random Stranger posted:

Since you clearly want to make refinements, I'm going to run down a few things that made me go, "Huh," while playing:

• The checkpoint on the roof wasn't visible after climbing up initially. I might have missed it if I didn't compulsively get on top of everything.
  • The invisible block with the p-switch isn't much fun. I found it, but unless the player knows that they're supposed to be looking for a switch they're more likely to stumble around there. If the block was visible it would still give people a challenge to hit and activate it.
  • At the bottom of the shaft, the sloped edge scraped the top off the "pokey".

But it's pretty good. I'd give it a like and comment, but you seem like you're going to delete this version soon.

Re Checkpoint: Good point; I'll move it. I was already thinking of revamping that section because I realized when players started from the checkpoint that Pokey is right there.

Re Invisible Block: I was going for a sort of "Oh no, how do I activate the lift before the side skewers break through the wall?" sort of thing. Maybe there are a bunch of ? blocks but only one of them has the P-Switch?

Re Shaft: Good catch; that's an easy fix.

Any thoughts on the boss fight at all? All my adjustments seemed to make the fight teeter back and forth between childishly easy and unpleasantly hard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Meowser works best as the story mode demonstrated: a living obstacle to avoid during a climb or race and handily defeated with quick pow block use.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

You know what's fun? Spending seven minutes fighting a giant Meowser as you can get one claw swipe in before he jumps away and then spends forty seconds being completely unattackable. I wound up timing out on that course.

It's getting the point that if I see a Meowser fight I want to boo the course. He's might be the worst thing about the 3D World set and given that the theme includes the car that's quite an accomplishment.

I disagree IF he's given an appropriate amount of room. Big Meowser is almost impossible to make room for and always sucks, but small Meowser has a fairly satisfying attack pattern if he's not crowded. With wings he occasionally pops into the background to spit fireballs at you, but if you stand behind a tree or semisolid platform, he will immediately stop and resume a ground fight.

That being said, most people won't give him enough room, so he just randomly pops up everywhere and spits fire.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love big meowser. I'm gonna show you!!! I'm gonna show you all!!! Gonna give him a stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Not unbeatable, but pretty hard. The Cheep Cheeps from pipes and Bullet Blasters tend to pile up, since you can't get rid of them and they can follow you around the level without regard for terrain. And most of the challenges tend to force the player to complete them in a narrow time window that doesn't leave much room for dodging flaming fish. As for the Bowser Jr fight, that one is just mean. The boss and the uneven terrain are enough to focus on; throw in fish and Bob-ombs and it becomes pretty overwhelming.

... right. Thanks for the feedback! I figured that enemy placement/spawning would be the most difficult part. I swear I'm not trying to make it too hard! Actually, while I was reworking it, I figured out that anything spawning out of warp pipes can't spawn while lava is covering them, which makes it easier to control when something spawns. Anyway, I went and reworked some spawns points and some areas, especially the boss.

Burning Lava Fish (take 2)

BTW-19J-0MF

Question: If I make changes to a course already uploaded and save, does the uploaded course automatically update as well?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

Question: If I make changes to a course already uploaded and save, does the uploaded course automatically update as well?

nooope. Ya gotta delete it and re-upload it, which sucks! You lose all your maker points and stuff from the deleted course! :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

someone awful. posted:

nooope. Ya gotta delete it and re-upload it, which sucks! You lose all your maker points and stuff from the deleted course! :(

Ah, really? drat, that sucks. Guess when I make my 32nd stage that's the last one I'm ever making.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

Ah, really? drat, that sucks. Guess when I make my 32nd stage that's the last one I'm ever making.

I can't verify it (I only have 3 stages and when I updated one I wasn't paying attention to my points) but it's definitely what I've heard. I guess it could be wrong, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kirios posted:

I'm already loading the bullet on a couple stages. I understand why there's a limit but it being so low sucksss

Also yeah you 100% lose all your points. Night of release I made a level and it was blowing the hell up instantly. I rocketed up to 100 hearts in a burst... then it just deleted itself and my points got shot in the head and I got really sad lmao

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm already loading the bullet on a couple stages. I understand why there's a limit but it being so low sucksss

I find it very likely that they'll expand the upload limit. The problem is that any expansion probably won't come until the first major patch which I'd guess is a minimum of three months out.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

they'll increase the number of levels to 64 and give us SM64 as a game style, says my uncle

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

GHM-0FS-4QF

I uploaded my first one. I made a fun theme for a mystery mansion that gets revealed at the end. I'm not sure how easy it is for someone who didn't make it and know what's up. I'm considering deleting it and tweaking it to be a little more obvious if necessary.

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made another painful level SMB style this time.

Prelude to Pain (40s)
VMG-69Q-KNF

Retro take on my pain levels with new challenges, you have only 40 seconds!

It's very similar to my painfully hard Theater of Pain levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Big cozy post because I legit like making these little thumbnails

Mario Moon Jump

A level attempting to put the night sky theme to good use. Posted it earlier in the thread but deciding to keep it for now. You're goal is to get as high as possible and come crashing back down to earth. Don't burn up on re-entry!!!!!!

Marios Treetop Trouble

My latest project. A relaxing jog through a giant tree with some simple pla-wait what's that noise.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

they'll increase the number of levels to 64 and give us SM64 as a game style, says my uncle

I heard your uncle retired recently, liar!

off-key indie nonsense
Apr 22, 2010

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us cybersinners.
This is my first attempt at making a mario.

Cave In My Heart
JVD-4BM-6TF

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SelenicMartian posted:

A Flappy Night

QY8-BBQ-H1G
No attempts? Ow, it takes 40 seconds.
Secretly, the lava route is the easiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Marios Treetop Trouble

My latest project. A relaxing jog through a giant tree with some simple pla-wait what's that noise.

this level is neat

the fact that my strategy to cheese the saw climb by waiting for them to pass and climbing at my leisure would lead to a Grinder Blockade at the top was both rude and entirely expected, so good job