Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

LonsomeSon posted:

To be fair I think he only did it once because he was immediately injured by fragments.

Back in the day when I was a trigger-puller for the US government, my role while dismounted was breach guy. ~Ask~ me how dumb opening a locked door with buckshot is, mich less a loving service nine.

How bad is it? From what I’ve heard best case is high speed fragments where you don’t want them, worst case is ricochet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was a video on YouTube at one point of some idiot in Afghanistan trying to blow a padlock off with a Mossberg. He pumped several shots into it and nothing much happened.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wouldn’t a slug do the trick? I know nothing about breaching but I assumed that’s the purpose.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Shoot the hinges, not the lock.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Wouldn’t a slug do the trick? I know nothing about breaching but I assumed that’s the purpose.

A sledge and bar will do to.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
A 3 inch 12 gauge slug will do the job on pretty much anything. Including the family of four on the other side of that door. And probably the family next door as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah I think but he was specifically saying dummies still try to shoot hardened steel with buck, which effectively is brass and lead BBs and that dog don't hunt.

not caring here posted:

A 3 inch 12 gauge slug will do the job on pretty much anything. Including the family of four on the other side of that door. And probably the family next door as well.

Our closet gun is a cheapo pump action with expensive home defense shells. I forgot which brand/line are but they are slug + buck fuckers, but the closet door faces our backyard, which shares a fence with an uphill neighbor.

Basically I have a good safe backstop for if the worst thing happens.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 8, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A Bad Poster posted:

Shoot the hinges, not the lock.

Yeah this here is the correct answer. Of course, it's possible that the hinges are on the inside, and that your entire unit just did a bunch of drills before deploying and in Kuwait where you put a round into the door between the knob and jamb, then just to the side towards the jamb, to break the bolt up and let the door open.

It turns out that every door this will work for, a pretty tall, stout dude can probably kick open. If it looked like it was going to take more than breach guy we would honestly just pull it out or push it in with a truck. I can recall a couple of times that someone tried a sledge or pickaxe but both of the sectors we were assigned to on that deployment had pretty lovely construction even for Iraq, farmlands along the south river and then a couple hours southwest of that.

But yeah, TURNS OUT that instead of breaking up the bolt, what might happen is that you mangle the gently caress out of it and it won't slide, either, and you kick it in anyway. It's your first time out the wire and you hosed up the first breach, gently caress, gently caress gently caress

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

is Air Force Defender the name of the MOS like infantry or cav scout?

please tell me the air force has something that dorky.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

colachute posted:

is Air Force Defender the name of the MOS like infantry or cav scout?

please tell me the air force has something that dorky.

SECFOR, I think.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQuMU-UjHk

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Stultus Maximus posted:

SECFOR, I think.

yea it's security forces they call themselves defenders as their motto is Defensor Fortis (Defenders of the force)

and yes they do yell Defenders at group level all calls

The most dorky MOS name is actually the Special Operations Weather Technician or SOWT (pronounced Saw-Tee). They are under AirForce Special Forces

But everyone calls them unicorns as they wear a pale grey beret

There are less of them then there are seals. I think less than 400

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Special_Operations_Weather_Technician

Tythas fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 8, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I knew those guys were rare, didn't know they were that rare. I worked with a trio of them up in Alaska, they were attached to the army brigades' HQ to help them plan airborne operations. They were also the chillest active duty personnel I ever met.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Worked with a bunch of Battlefield Weather guys in Germany when I worked at an ASOG, can confirm they're all weirdos but in a low-key and fairly harmless way so I imagine the more specialized they get it distills their chill weirdness. They weren't aggressively autistic like, say, linguists.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Tythas posted:

There are less of them then there are seals. I think less than 400

I wonder how many times they bring this up at the bar

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

colachute posted:

Probably less than the SEALs do

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Coming from a ~400 career field has its ups and downs.

As far as I remember battlefield weatherman are different than what Special weather was. Battlefield weather was just airmen they treated like poo poo and made to do a bunch of field training before sticking them with regular army but still very chill and had their poo poo together guys from what I remember. Special weather was super chill the one time I met one. Dude was like a million year old MSgt that just kind of did whatever he wanted and no one questioned it and he had tons of cool stories about partying around south east Asia.

Edit: special weather guy was kind of round but he was also super chill and took care of us so it was fine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is there a public breakdown of how many people are in each AFSC?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Casimir Radon posted:

I honestly am not sure but I don't think there would be

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

colachute posted:

“Yeah so I’m a weatherman in the airforce. A special weather man. I jump out of a plane with an anemometer and... yeah kind of like a SEAL except I blow up weather balloons instead of blowing up poo poo.”

Pussy. Magnet.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

“Yeah so I’m a weatherman in the airforce. A special weather man. I jump out of a plane with an anemometer and... yeah kind of like a SEAL except I blow up weather balloons instead of blowing up poo poo.”

Pussy. Magnet.

"Girl, let me check the forecast but you might want to get a rain jacket because things will get wet between us if all goes well."

???

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"Im less likely to assault you"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"Im less likely to assault you"

except with lame meteorology trivia

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Air Force Magazine publishes it annually.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I can't remember exactly since I'm not on a Gov computer right now, but on the AFPC secure site, click on RAW....you can sort by all kinds of AFSC demographics. I think it's updated monthly.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Breaching rounds don't work that way, they're little metal fletchette type splinters in a mini sabot to maximize penetration of the (metal) and minimize spalling and ricochets after they straight up blast a hole in door hinges. They're designed to evaporate, not penetrate. If you wanted to murder anyone within 50m or more sure though

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 10, 2019

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
As of a few years ago the army breaching rounds were kind of like a metal paste. Essentially tiny metal balls in a wax or grease that kept them all together. Think like 0.5 mm or smaller tiny balls. It is great for preventing ricochet. The Mossberg 500 was the standard breaching tool but they took those away and went to the M26 or M23. Can't remember. The Mossberg was fine but it didn't have a standoff so people were putting the barrel right on the thing to breach which is not the most effective. The new ones have a standoff barrel attachment so you can make sure you have the perfect space.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kick-Puncher posted:

As of a few years ago the army breaching rounds were kind of like a metal paste. Essentially tiny metal balls in a wax or grease that kept them all together. Think like 0.5 mm or smaller tiny balls. It is great for preventing ricochet. The Mossberg 500 was the standard breaching tool but they took those away and went to the M26 or M23. Can't remember. The Mossberg was fine but it didn't have a standoff so people were putting the barrel right on the thing to breach which is not the most effective. The new ones have a standoff barrel attachment so you can make sure you have the perfect space.

That would be the M26, which they made a stand-alone kit for....for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_lWv6tckA

I know that when I want a shotgun, it has all the functionality of a malfunctioning semi-auto.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What in the gently caress is that garbage

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

not caring here posted:

What in the gently caress is that garbage

It's a good Masterkey alternative, but then they got the inevitable "What if we make a stand-alone version?" idea. Like when they did it to the M203, despite literally nobody using it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The HK M320 (M203 replacement for you old people) stock attachment is cool as gently caress. We had the stocks in our arms room although I never got to shoot one with one mounted.

I remember some people in my BCT having those shotguns, probably the MPs or engineers in our STB? They look weird as gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

There was a video on YouTube at one point of some idiot in Afghanistan trying to blow a padlock off with a Mossberg. He pumped several shots into it and nothing much happened.

Isn't this why breaching rounds exist?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flying_Crab posted:

The HK M320 (M203 replacement for you old people)

M79 is for old people. :corsair:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CainFortea posted:

M79 is for old people. :corsair:

Now get off my lawn

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Flying_Crab posted:

The HK M320 (M203 replacement for you old people) stock attachment is cool as gently caress. We had the stocks in our arms room although I never got to shoot one with one mounted.

I remember some people in my BCT having those shotguns, probably the MPs or engineers in our STB? They look weird as gently caress.

the 320 mounted turns your m4 into an awkward clunky piece of poo poo that you don't want to carry. just imagine someone setting a 3-5lb weight on the end of your barrel. it might now sound like much but it's noticeable. 3-5lbs gets heavy.

standalone it's pretty cool though.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

That would be the M26, which they made a stand-alone kit for....for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_lWv6tckA

I know that when I want a shotgun, it has all the functionality of a malfunctioning semi-auto.

Yeah I am in no way going to defend it. It is a total piece of non ergonomic poo poo. No benefit to it over the Mossberg except someone got excited about making m4 accessories. The only cool part is the dedicated standoff. The charging handle is reversible but you have to disassemble the gun to change it. Have a door you need to shoot from your off side? Well you are kinda hosed if you want two shots and it is set up for the other side.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

colachute posted:

the 320 mounted turns your m4 into an awkward clunky piece of poo poo that you don't want to carry. just imagine someone setting a 3-5lb weight on the end of your barrel. it might now sound like much but it's noticeable. 3-5lbs gets heavy.

standalone it's pretty cool though.

203 is the superior grenade launcher for attaching to assault rifles.

320 is great for launching bean bag rounds at kids throwing rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

203 is the superior grenade launcher for attaching to assault rifles.

320 is great for launching bean bag rounds at kids throwing rocks.

I mean if you don't invade their country you don't get hit with rocks. Bing bong.