Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cojawfee posted:

Dang 3600X looking like a pretty nice deal. I can't find much comparing it to the i5 9600k besides a video where the guy compares it to a 9600k overclocked to 5Ghz and it only has like 10 more fps.

Huh, why would you want the overpriced 3600X instead of the 3600 or the 3700X?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Palladium posted:

Huh, why would you want the overpriced 3600X instead of the 3600 or the 3700X?

What is difference between the 3600 and the x besides 50 dollars?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cojawfee posted:

What is difference between the 3600 and the x besides 50 dollars?

X Ryzens are usually binned for higher base and boost clocks and higher TDP rating compared to their non-X counterparts.

Edit: Oh! I forgot, the coolers. You get Wraith Spire for the X and Wraith Stealth for non-X if that matters to you.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eames posted:

"The Stilt" posted in-depth technical info at overclock.net, the best technical review of Zen 2 I've seen so far:

more here, including IPC analysis, voltage/frequency graphs, SMT, Asus allegedly repeating the "MCE" review drama, etc.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html#/topics/1728758

quote:

The external power measurements (VRM DCR) revealed that the CPU was consuming significantly more power, than its power management should have allowed it to. I initially suspected that this was AMDs own doing, in an effort trying
to boost the performance of the new CPUs even further, but further investigation indicated otherwise.

AMD had no part in it, and the actions by ASUS are the sole reason behind it. The investigation revealed that ASUS is altering one or more power
management parameters of the CPU, causing it believe it consumes less power than it actually does. As a result, the frequencies will be higher than the actual power budget would normally allow to. Tricks like this are pretty much a common (mal)practice these
days however, there is a good reason why this must be considered worse than the others: this "thing" is completely undetectable without external measurements and rather deep knowledge, but also there is no way to disable it either.

What shady poo poo is ASUS up to this time? I hope AMD is considering a public statement and/or cutting them loose, even if they are a kinda big player.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

sauer kraut posted:

What shady poo poo is ASUS up to this time? I hope AMD is considering a public statement and/or cutting them loose, even if they are a kinda big player.

Pretty much all board manufacturers do this (and have been for years), with Intel and AMD CPUs. It's very annoying, but can be disabled by manually setting things according to specifications.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sauer kraut posted:

Gamers Nexus used a gigabyte board and it boosted way out of TDP spec in Blender, up to 147w with a 3900X, even with all non spec stuff (even PBO) disabled. So yeah, considering how iffy some of the BIOS are out there right now, like Hardware Unboxed burning their 3900X on a MSI board when changing LLC, I wouldn't throw ASUS under the bus yet.

Also "kinda big player" is really... really understating it. They are by far the biggest motherboard maker, in both retail and OEM.

e: The GN timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ2X1y0jvw&t=1693s

Cygni fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 8, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1148170909322293248

I was going to order my 3700X today, since they're in stock, but with no word on availability of the Asrock X570M Pro4 and absolutely no competitor motherboard at all, it seems a bit pointless :smith:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 8, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Gamers Nexus used a gigabyte board and it boosted way out of TDP spec in Blender, up to 147w with a 3900X, even with all non spec stuff (even PBO) disabled. So yeah, considering how iffy some of the BIOS are out there right now, like Hardware Unboxed burning their 3900X on a MSI board when changing LLC, I wouldn't throw ASUS under the bus yet.

This isn't about an unfinished BIOS, it's just one of the usual tricks mainboard manufacturers use to make their high-end boards seem better. AMD would have to throw all manufacturers under the bus for this.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Feels very AMDy to gently caress up the review BIOS.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 8, 2019

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Isnt that exactly what they do/did on Intel platfroms too? Its usually called "multicore enhamcement" or some bullshit.

eames
May 9, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Feels very AMDy to gently caress up the review BIOS.

We don't know if it's AMD's fault though.
From what I've read on the Stilt's posting the AMD sanctioned BIOS version (0066) produces the "clean" results but motherboard vendors allegedly pushed out updates with questionable tweaks later on. Some reviewers used the AMD sanctioned BIOS, others just used the latest available (and now have a bunch of useless testing data).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Sormus posted:

Isnt that exactly what they do/did on Intel platfroms too? Its usually called "multicore enhamcement" or some bullshit.

MCE is letting you do all-core boost, vs just one.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sormus posted:

Intel's version pushes the CPU all core clocks to the highest single core boost without regards to TDP.
AMD's version as least for now raises the TDP ceiling while letting clocks to go as high as possible while staying inside said TDP.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Anyone else play Destiny 2 and having trouble launching it? Cause I am.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/cage36/destiny_2_does_not_work_with_new_ryzen_3000/

Every other game works fine, but Destiny just stays in the background.

Got a 3700x, with a GigaByte Aorus Pro board which I updated the BIOS for already.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

GigaPeon posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/cage36/destiny_2_does_not_work_with_new_ryzen_3000/

Got a 3700x, with a GigaByte Aorus Pro board which I updated the BIOS for already.

Apparently it is a known issue. Is the launcher running in task manager?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

aluminumonkey posted:

Apparently it is a known issue. Is the launcher running in task manager?

Destiny2.exe is, yeah. I was scratching my head on it late until the night. Felt a lot better waking up and reading that Reddit thread.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 8, 2019

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

GigaPeon posted:

Destiny2.exe is, yeah. I was scratching my head on it late until the night. Felt a lot better waking up and reading that Reddit thread.

Someone suggested running it with admin privileges. Not sure that helps or not. I'm sure a hotfix will be coming this week.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Wow that heat density really makes me want to wait for 7nm EUV processors before reconsidering a hop on the upgrade train

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have no clue about x570 boards, how did you decide on that one?

I haven’t touched anything outside Asus for 10+ years, my current board is a P8P67 PRO that I’ve been very happy with.

I went with the WS because it’s one of the least obnoxious models (Prime isn’t too bad, the Asus article explaining all their models was a good read), ECC is a nice to have in the future and the basic out-of-band from the Realtek NIC is good to have as well as I’m throwing together this box to be a work mule in an engineering lab. I wish it had more PCIe slots for various I/O adapters and FPGA dev boards but I’ll probably be able to live with it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lambert posted:

This isn't about an unfinished BIOS, it's just one of the usual tricks mainboard manufacturers use to make their high-end boards seem better. AMD would have to throw all manufacturers under the bus for this.

Yeah this is usual ads-on crap; I’ve always first thing gone in and clicked every single “optimization” off (on Asus boards, that’s also the physical off switches for EPUs and TPUs), and most things that claim to be “automatic”. I nudge up DRAM voltage very slightly when using 4 sticks (think like 25mV-50mV or so on DDR3) and leave most besides the CPU and PLL voltages alone.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

aluminumonkey posted:

Someone suggested running it with admin privileges. Not sure that helps or not. I'm sure a hotfix will be coming this week.

Tried various combinations of admin rights and compatibility modes but no avail.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MaxxBot posted:

But the issue is it actually performs better with SMT off rather than on in some games and in some cases this would be the case with the 3900X but not the 3600, basically the game runs best with a certain number of threads but not more or less.

One reviewer noticed much better framerates by parking games to 1 core on the 3900X, so it is probably Windows scheduler fuckery.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

Why are you trying to argue with me? I don't know, I'm just telling you what the roadmap says, man.

I just don't understand why anyone would take an Intel roadmap as gospel given, I don't know, the last 5 years of actual results?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to repost these for fun.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Perplx posted:

Just wanted to repost these for fun.

14nm was late by a year and I don't think there is more that needs to be said for 10nm.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want optical interconnects and nano wires. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crunchy Black posted:

I just don't understand why anyone would take an Intel roadmap as gospel given, I don't know, the last 5 years of actual results?
So to recap

You: I bet they respin Skylake on 14nm again

Me: You’re right, it’s even on the roadmap already

You: Psh, that’s dumb, who would trust their roadmaps!!

Me: :confused:

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

To be fair to Intel, they did say, "We expect technology innovation to continue" but they didn't specify by whom.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

GigaPeon posted:

Speaking of launch problems. The new CPUs aren't booting Linux distros newer than Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. There's something up with systemd apparently.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-3700x-3900x-linux&num=2

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

systemd still poo poo? Colour me shocked!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
All this stuff about RAM has me entirely confused. All I want is 32GB of 3200C14 or better for a decent price, but apparently trying to achieve that throws me down the rabbit hole of motherboard topology, single and dual rank RAM, Ryzen issues with dual rank, Micron e-dies, tight and loose timings, etc, and I am just getting very confused.

Does anybody know a good resource that explains all these things?

I saw some reddit post talking about OC results and it was mentioned that these could get timings like DDR4-3600 14-17-17 1.48V and DDR4-3600 14-19-14 1.5V:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CdyV3C/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3000-memory-bls2k16g4d30aesc

Is this really all I need?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know what happened to RAM but it is totally opaque to me now. I wanted to buy two more sticks to bring me up to 32GB and it seems like every brand absolutely refuses to list any information that allows their RAM to be compared to any other brand. One was listing their memory by how many MIPs it has or something. Another went by the PC number. Another was using the frequency. I eventually just bought something that had similar looking numbers to what Ialready had (couldn't just buy the same RAM because it wouldn't fit under my heatsink in the first slot). Luckily it worked out, but jeez wtf.

Anyway, I guess I'll go for just the regular 3600. Does anyone know if Amazon will ever have it or am I stuck with buying through Newegg?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I can’t find any of the Ryzens on Amazon FWIW, maybe the mobile app doesn’t show it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

movax posted:

I can’t find any of the Ryzens on Amazon FWIW, maybe the mobile app doesn’t show it?

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/09DCAE89-ECF8-4F1C-8964-F62016A14699?ingress=0&visitId=b2507182-2b55-4a30-9832-176c0664490f

You can find direct links there.

EDIT: But Amazon isn't selling the processors and are currently linking to a scam storefront. Because Amazon.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/camw8a/psa_the_amd_authorized_reseller_for_the_3600x_on/

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Just a real quick question as I'm thinking about upgrading. I don't upgrade often so would it be smart to wait for the next generation and presumably new socket to future proof a little better? I've been putting off upgrading my overclocked 4670k for a bit now but I wouldn't mind waiting longer if it makes sense. Or at that long of a timespan between upgrades does it not really matter since there might even be a couple of new sockets inbetween?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

punch drunk posted:

Just a real quick question as I'm thinking about upgrading. I don't upgrade often so would it be smart to wait for the next generation and presumably new socket to future proof a little better? I've been putting off upgrading my overclocked 4670k for a bit now but I wouldn't mind waiting longer if it makes sense. Or at that long of a timespan between upgrades does it not really matter since there might even be a couple of new sockets inbetween?

There's always something better coming 6-12 months from now. If you're not happy with your current performance and it's not literally a few weeks before a new launch, buy now. If you are, wait until you aren't.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
"They're holding it wrong"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah the next socket for AMD could be like late 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

punch drunk posted:

This lineup is as 'future proof' (which is a fallacy anyway, but I get what you mean) as it gets with the added cheap cores and threads (since that seems like what it's slowly shifting to) + p solid single thread performance that's fast approaching being functionally indistinguishable from Intel's.

But having said that...I know that I'm gonna wait for at least 6 months so that the manufacturing on the chips gets more refined and since this is AMD might even get a nice Christmas deal or somesuch to boot. Still, that's just my circumstance of building a whole new PC from scratch and deciding to wait on my rear end on ampere after all, and in the end this poster has it right:

ItBreathes posted:

There's always something better coming 6-12 months from now. If you're not happy with your current performance and it's not literally a few weeks before a new launch, buy now. If you are, wait until you aren't.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2019