Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Dragpaul's Dry Race
LCG-MCV-43G

Show that speed demon what you're made of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

No attempts? Ow, it takes 40 seconds.
Secretly, the lava route is the easiest.

Oh man I didn't even realize there was a lava route :psyduck: I just saw coins and went to get them!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SXF-5NV-42H

Papa's Flying Koopas, or: Flying Funk Remastered

This level was originally created in Mario Maker 1 by a friend using my Wii U. That version was deleted and permanently blacklisted from Nintendo's servers due to the title, which almost had a swear in it. I've remastered the level in MM2 with pinpoint accuracy so Flying Funk Papa's Flying Koopas can frustrate the masses as we always dreamed it would.

A successful run will only take about 30 seconds. You'll see the original creator listed as the First Clear -- it took him 210 attempts. Very curious to see how you all do!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Guys... GUYS

I found the best level ever made

EVER

FRH-L65-FRG

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

I’m very impressed, thanks for taking the extra challenge. It’s super tight because that first coin prevents Mario from getting P speed at the first jump and I thought that would be too much.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

DorianGravy posted:

If anyone feels like their level has been largely overlooked here, please quote this post along with your code and level name, and I'll play it and give it a mini-review later today. (Note: I'm not an expert at Mario, so I may not be able to complete super-hard levels.) On average, levels here are far better than those on endless!

I've only had a few footprints on my level so far. They're pretty hard, I guess, but I was thinking of them more as an intro to kaizo kind of deal. The goal was to present a set of challenges that are relatively easy to reset, like the first one teaches you about p-switch jumps, because that's the first thing that you do, is jump off some floating p-switches. If you fail, you're right back to the beginning so it's easy to try again. Both levels have generous checkpoints so you can repeat the tasks without having to do a bunch of tedious stuff you've already accomplished.

Anyway, there are definitely some rough edges here or there, but I think I learned a lot from them, both in how to do the challenges myself, and about level design.

1st Level: "Kuaizo Castle" 6TN-P7H-C0G
2nd Level: "Red Coins in the Desert" 639-KW0-3SG

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I can't believe that before this game it never occurred to me to think of Mario jumping to punch someone's balls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A little bit of Goon Mario

Unleash the Madlads: Don't make boss fights with respawning powerups. That's just bad and lazy design. It tells me you don't have enough confidence in the fight you designed to beat it without having to tank damage constantly. Which was weird since the boss of this stage wasn't even hard.

Other than that, it was a fine stage. Didn't really see any huge problems other than the aforementioned poor boss design.

Don't Warp Desert: I have no clue what was going on with this level. Felt like you had a unique idea to work with in the player needing to avoid warp boxes, but you included a bunch of confusing nonsense that had nothing to do with it. Everything felt out of place and left me with little desire to actually play this, despite being interested initially.

Mario in the Whale: What a bizarre level. I'll echo what others have said that the intro to this level is just way too annoying. Bumper spam is really hard to navigate. Also, I don't feel like the theme of this level was sold super well. It didn't really feel like the 'worms' did anything, and their presence was more or less irrelevant. I was really sour on this level, but the end with the blowhole twister made me smile, so it has some merit. And at least you did try to do something unique with this bizarre theme, which I think deserves some appreciation.

If you or anyone else wants to make a disgusting vore level for some reason, I recommend using the SMW aquatic theme for it. You can make a background of the red coral. Combined with red blocks its as close to an organ appearance as you can get I think. Spamming the heartbeat sound effect can sell it even more. I did this for a level back in Mario Maker 1 and it worked surprisingly well.

Forest Vault Raid : I was gonna play more levels but this one took me like 30 fuckin minutes.

I hate spin jumps so right out of the gate this was not the stage for me. I wanna get better at them though so I was determined to beat it. It felt very overwhelming and frustrating but I think its one of those stages that wants to be. I'm not a good judge of them. All I know for sure is that you put in an effort to make it look nice which is appreciated.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Some new levels:

Shell on Earth 2: Shell of Souls (J89-HN8-XPG)

A remake/improvement of the first Super Mario Maker level I ever made that takes advantage of all the new SMM2 stuff! One for people who like the feeling of kicking a Koopa Troopa shell.

Mario's Mad Moon Run! (2H8-KP6-8DG)

Moon level inspired by the first zone of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and the space stage from Ducktales.

8-Castle: Bowser's Revenge! (9M8-KYV-NFF)

An extreme version of the final boss fight from Super Mario Bros. 3!

Sneaky Sky Snakes (VY9-H4X-NYF)

Don't tread on me

Rich Person Simulator (4QM-ROV-6XG)

It feels really good to be rich. You should try it.

Climate change is real. (NG7-C53-4NG)

No use denying the facts!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Woozy posted:

This was neat! I really like the mushroom trees and the time lapse idea was clever.

Thanks. Rebuilding the course from scratch for the nighttime side was a little annoying but I really like how this one turned out. I ended up using temporary pipes on each screen to ensure that I copied the course exactly which worked pretty well. Though if I do a gimmick similar to this again I'll probably just take screenshots.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dumped a bunch of levels in the hopper.

Galoomba Heights - 88C 1FB 91H

vertical cloud times with bullets and galoombas.

Hot Step - J4C CYQ GWF

bit of a jog through a castle level. why did I use nsmb? it's ugly.

Under Cheep-Cheep River - 8N5 MPG 0QF

cramped dungeon crawler, else you can brave the crossing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just found out there's an achievement for getting 1000 plays on a single course.

Maybe I'll get that in 2025

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently 5000 on a single course gets you a kuribo shoe outfit

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Oh man I didn't even realize there was a lava route :psyduck: I just saw coins and went to get them!

Nina spotted

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently 5000 on a single course gets you a kuribo shoe outfit

Don't say that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to spend four hours getting the musical riffs just right and one hour on the level itself. :v:

Are you going to end with a burning banana stand?

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like it's a bit too complex and busy. The darkness mechanic puts a lot of mental pressure on the player, so you should make the enemies and platforming a bit simpler to compensate. The puzzles themselves were good, but the ones with enemies usually suffered for it - for example, the first one where you have to wall-jump between barely-visible on/off blocks didn't really need the giant Boos, and they just felt annoying since they'd inevitably maneuver themselves into a position that blocked the player if you took more than a couple of tries to nail it.

Thanks for this feedback. It was actually livestreamed by one of the goons in this thread, and it's always head-slappingly entertaining to see every flaw you overlooked pointed out immediately when playtested by someone else. :) I totally agree with your critiques - in particular, I was struck by how that snake block section near the checkpoint flag is entirely unnecessary, especially since I wanted that to be a "safer" space. Why the hell did I remove the floor!? :)

I guess that's one of the magical feedback loops of Mario Maker - there is always room to improve, tinker, and innovate further. Thanks again for the in-depth review! I'm still grateful for the "decent" win-rate, despite all these flaws.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I need a MM2 browsing and bookmarking app or site like crazy.

I want to queue up levels and check my stats while away from my Switch, but I can't :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 8, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Now I've made a really fast one-button autoscroller.

A Flappy Night

QY8-BBQ-H1G

The coins are safe, but don't get greedy.
Props if you can get into the room in the title shot.

I didn’t expect to get through in one shot. I’m the best!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Working on a ski themed level, is there any way to get enemies to slide down slopes at you? Thinking of the penguins in NSMB Wii. I could have shells fired out of cannons but I'm looking for something more natural and nothing seems to fit.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I need a MM2 browsing and bookmarking app or site like crazy.

I want to queue up levels and check my stats while away from my Switch, but I can't :negative:

I can't fathom why this wouldn't have been included in the online app when the game launched. Nintendo really needs to get over themselves in terms of online functionality.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NofrikinfuN posted:

I can't fathom why this wouldn't have been included in the online app when the game launched. Nintendo really needs to get over themselves in terms of online functionality.

I've started trying to reverse engineer their API to do exactly that, but I probably won't finish it. It's a ton of work for something Nintendo might just do later.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It's almost like nintendo has an entire Nintendo Online app for phones that does gently caress all nothing except lovely VOIP and a Splatoon store.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The UI for this game is total garbage and the online is complete dogshit despite the fact I'm now paying Nintendo to use it

But I still love the game...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vegastar posted:

It's almost like nintendo has an entire Nintendo Online app for phones that does gently caress all nothing except lovely VOIP and a Splatoon store.

Actually they have the exact SMM2 functionality you want on there... for Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vegastar posted:

Haha, I just checked out the app for the second time since getting my Switch, and wow... Splatoon and Smash, two games I don't own (but likely will someday), a voice chat option, and literally nothing else. Ugh.

I can't wait for the next SMM2-related update to come out, and I hope that adding a bookmark site or that functionality to the official app happens. Also, I was checking out the subreddit after watching Ceave's video about how to get more plays for your level, and man, it'd be awesome if an "Endless New" and maybe an "Endless Haunted" were implemented into Course World. "New" would specifically cater to any and all levels that haven't gotten enough plays for their difficulty to be judged and therefore aren't being put into other endless modes. "Haunted" could be for levels that were boo'd, and have some sort of chance to get played. It's possible that good but difficult levels are getting boo'd too harshly and this gives them a second chance.

This would open up the potential for hot garbage to get liked Ironically, but that's also already a possibility, so maybe it's moot :shobon:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone done anything interesting with the night time desert wind theme? I didn't realise it worked slightly differently in each game

SMB1 - Wind blows left with pauses
SMB3 - Wind blows right with pauses
SMW - Wind alternates between left/right
NSMBU - Wind is always blowing to the right with no pauses

I only ever see it used as decoration since it looks awesome in the classic styles

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone done anything interesting with the night time desert wind theme? I didn't realise it worked slightly differently in each game

I only ever see it used as decoration since it looks awesome in the classic styles

The most interesting thing I could find was using the dry bones crumble move to get blown through a big thwomp. I couldn't really figure how to make it into a level though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I was checking out the subreddit after watching Ceave's video about how to get more plays for your level, and man, it'd be awesome if an "Endless New" and maybe an "Endless Haunted" were implemented into Course World. "New" would specifically cater to any and all levels that haven't gotten enough plays for their difficulty to be judged and therefore aren't being put into other endless modes.

Have you tried the new level queue? It's like gazing into the primal madness at the heart of all things. Why would you want to inflict that on someone?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

someone awful. posted:

this level is neat

the fact that my strategy to cheese the saw climb by waiting for them to pass and climbing at my leisure would lead to a Grinder Blockade at the top was both rude and entirely expected, so good job

Well I had to come up with something :v:
I was actually inspired by the similar sections in DKC3 so that was the general vibe I was goin for

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NofrikinfuN posted:

It’s portrait only. It’s been portrait only for nearly 2 years.

Random Stranger posted:

Have you tried the new level queue? It's like gazing into the primal madness at the heart of all things. Why would you want to inflict that on someone?

Running this thread I absolutely forgot how many literal children are making levels for this game until I booted up the new queue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

The new level queue is apparently backlogged by about 48 hours right now. If you upload no one will see your level for a couple of days unless your advertise it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

They added a bookmark site to MM1 because they realized the game needed it, three years ago! Now they have a sequel they knew would be a huge hit, with a larger user base, a tried and tested framework for building a bookmark site, and an app already integrated into Nintendo ID's! It's insane that the site isn't ready.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Made a new level that I think is a bit too difficult for what I was going for (an SMB-1 style level based around piranhas and cheep cheeps). Tried to slow down the player through coin collecting and there are powerups but I kind of think the last gauntlet is a little too hard? A later iteration may just get rid of the cheep cheeps all together.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I played with it a little but was actually upset that it didn't work with certain things; why shouldn't it affect parachuting enemies, nintendo?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Tender Bender posted:

They added a bookmark site to MM1 because they realized the game needed it, three years ago! Now they have a sequel they knew would be a huge hit, with a larger user base, a tried and tested framework for building a bookmark site, and an app already integrated into Nintendo ID's! It's insane that the site isn't ready.

I would legitimately not be surprised if we got an announcement in a week about why they made the developmental decision to not create a bookmark site or app functionality this time around because of something to do with planetary alignment and triforce iconography and art from adversity.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

I played with it a little but was actually upset that it didn't work with certain things; why shouldn't it affect parachuting enemies, nintendo?

The little tornado things seem to affect parachuting enemies at least, there was a neat goon level where parachuting lava bubbles were being kept afloat by one

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Violen posted:

I would legitimately not be surprised if we got an announcement in a week about why they made the developmental decision to not create a bookmark site or app functionality this time around because of something to do with planetary alignment and triforce iconography and art from adversity.

More seriously, it probably has something to do with having a hard ship date and working from an earlier MM1 code base (see some bugs that were eventually gotten rid of in MM1 reoccurring). Yeah, it should have been there, but it's not that surprising that it isn't given Nintendo project management.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

alf_pogs posted:

dumped a bunch of levels in the hopper.

Galoomba Heights - 88C 1FB 91H

vertical cloud times with bullets and galoombas.

Hot Step - J4C CYQ GWF

bit of a jog through a castle level. why did I use nsmb? it's ugly.

Under Cheep-Cheep River - 8N5 MPG 0QF

cramped dungeon crawler, else you can brave the crossing

Galoomba Heights - I liked it! I'm a sucker for vertical levels though so I'm not surprised. Difficulty felt about right, bullet bills didn't seem too unfair other than beings jerks right before the final pipe but whatever. I did Kaizo'd by two of the 1 ups you placed (both after the checkpoints) that never resulted in me dying but I did lose powerups. A couple of other things to note as quality-of-life things: the turn blocks at the final pipe can be destroyed, so unless this was intended you might want to throw some coins in them to prevent this. Also, it may be best to throw the checkpoint after the locked door as opposed to before. It's easy enough to get the key if you come back, but why not cut out that time?

Hot Step-You used NSMB because its castle theme is a banger. Perfectly fine stage, nothing crazy.

Under Cheep-Cheep River - I liked this one quite a bit. I liked the option to just go across the river (and that you advertised as such) as that was the first thing I did. You can cheese it by going pretty low since the kill plane is pretty far down, but nothing you can do about that. The actual stage was just fun with thwomps with jumps that feel tighter than they actually are, so I felt quite accomplished by the end. I will say I'm not sure I would have given players the option drop out of the floor from the secret area into cheep cheep hell, as that's what I assumed you were supposed to do after that and died as a result. This one was my favorite of the three!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Plebian Parasite posted:

The fact that it doesn't feels like such an oversight for a company like Nintendo.