Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
For some reason I found her frown when she was in the dress amazing

She looked like a character from Kill La Kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had a thought about the ending. We have talked a lot about the film condemning Christian's selfishness, but I feel like the ending might suggest the same about Dani

The moment that Dani realizes she has been accepted into the family of the commune is when she is crying out after finding Christian cheating on her. The moment the other women start screaming in sync with her she realizes that they are willing to share in her pain because she has become one of them. Throughout the film a crucial element of the film is that the villagers are willing to share in each other's pain and also pleasure as a sign of community and connection. At the end, when the two men in the shack start burning alive and screaming, the villagers start screaming out in agony with them. The entire village is screaming in agony for their brothers, except for Dani. She is smiling, reflecting on her personal joy.

It occurs to me that it might show her level of selfishness as well. She gladly accepted the community taking on her pain, but when it came time for her to join the community in taking on another's pain, she is still caught up in her own personal experience. She is willing to take the emotional support of others, but not willing to provide it herself.

I need to see this again, but my memory of the ending is that Dani is sort of crawling around and wretching and crying as the building burns, and then it cuts to the cultists screaming and thrashing around, and then back to Dani for the last shot where she's smiling, which felt like a continuation of the breathing scene with the other May queens. To me this solidified her place with the cult-- she sacrificed Christian the same as the other members sacrificed loved ones, so she's rightfully a part of their shared grief.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

RichterIX posted:

To me this solidified her place with the cult-- she sacrificed Christian the same as the other members sacrificed loved ones, so she's rightfully a part of their shared grief.

I think this is a really interesting read, and a very clever one, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One detail I only figured out a while after is that the guy who invites them tells Dani about his parents dying in a fire. Meaning they were sacrifices. Which may color his motivation to be one of the people who goes out into the world to find new bloods?

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So whenever the group finally makes it to the commune and one of the Elders welcomes them he says "welcome" to everyone except Dani, who he gets to last with "welcome home". It's a neat little bit of foreshadowing because you know it's telegraphing Dani's arc, which you could guess anyway, but nothing about how it's going to happen. A bit like a slasher movie showing you the killer's mode of murder long before it ever gets used. You're going to think about it the entire length of the movie now.

EDIT: Unfortunately the movie is not entirely safe if you're a misophonia sufferer. Theaters already suck for me because of the crowd noise of smacking popcorn, crinkling wrappers and people talking over the film. Dani sniffles loudly and often due to her panic attacks so if that's a trigger for you keep that in mind.

holy gently caress I didn't know there was a word for this. I had a meeting with someone a few weeks ago and they had some hosed up dry mouth chapping noise as they were talking, and I just about had to leave the room because of how physically ill/insane it was making me. I just chalked it up to me being a weirdo.

... Uhhhh, Midsommar was really excellent and I loved it. The shaking, crying floral slug is going to be imprinted in my brain forever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The horror elements also kind of didn't really do much for me. I liked the cliff scene, which reminded me a lot of the one in Songs from the Second Floor by way of, like, Lars von Trier, but the blood eagle was (besides being done better on Hannibal) just kind of...there? The only other bits I can recall are the guy getting bonked on the head and the face in the bathroom, and I guess the ending, but I wouldn't really call that scary.

It keeps getting compared to Wicker Man, but in Wicker Man the protagonist has a belief system and a perspective and there’s a conflict way above and beyond “weirdos killing people”. This is much more like Wrong Turn by way of Hostel made by someone who really liked A Field in England. It was ok

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaunab posted:

Thinking back to the ending Dani in the huge May queen flower dress stoically sentencing Christian to death and watching the building burn is probably one of the funniest scenes in the movie.

I was holding in my laughter. It was so absurd. I love this movie so much.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved this movie. Saw it on Friday and it's been floating around in my head ever since.

I had a really palpable sense of dread for the entire movie that reminded me of the onset of a panic attack. I don't know if it was the knowledge that something bad was going to happen soon, or the scenes where characters were using hallucinogens and the visuals would start distorting, or the lighting or just feeling for Dani.

But near the end, when you see them bringing the bodies to be sacrificed, specifically Matt's face on a loving doll made out of straw? I audibly said "hooooooollly poo poo" loud enough that my wife turned to me and asked if I was okay.

I'll want to watch this again for sure, hopefully in theaters, so I can watch everything with the knowledge of the ending in mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had a really palpable sense of dread for the entire movie that reminded me of the onset of a panic attack. I don't know if it was the knowledge that something bad was going to happen soon, or the scenes where characters were using hallucinogens and the visuals would start distorting, or the lighting or just feeling for Dani.

felt the same way - it really started getting amped right at the beginning of the attestupa scene because from the get-go i'm thinking oh god they're gonna jump when they get up there aren't they and that feeling didn't leave me for the rest of the movie.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 8, 2019

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yes! I love that setup. It's so gradual. You first see the wall, then the "gravestones", then the precipice above the wall, and then the anvil stone. At that point, my body was tense and I stayed that way, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bort posted:

Yes! I love that setup. It's so gradual. You first see the wall, then the "gravestones", then the precipice above the wall, and then the anvil stone. At that point, my body was tense and I stayed that way, too.

it's great when you realize that pelle wasn't joking when they asked what happens at 72 and he makes the throat gutting gesture.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of the attestupa, two things about that scene for me

very subtle way to slip in "cell phones dont work" without calling unnecessary attention to it, really liked that

And more importantly, how much did Josh actually know about the attestupa?

He seems to know what it is but still is shocked and horrified with everyone else when it happens. Like, he knows the two old people will be the participants and is taking notes, but freaks out with everyone else when they actually die. Did he assume it was gonna be a tamer or more neutered version?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And more importantly, how much did Josh actually know about the attestupa?

He seems to know what it is but still is shocked and horrified with everyone else when it happens. Like, he knows the two old people will be the participants and is taking notes, but freaks out with everyone else when they actually die. Did he assume it was gonna be a tamer or more neutered version?

i looked it up afterwards and the word means exactly what happened but my guess is he expected them to jump off out of view and also not having the coup de grace with a mallet.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Someone captured the mural at the beginning of the movie and it is INCREDIBLE

https://www.reddit.com/r/Midsommar/comments/cadpc2/spoiler_the_mural_flashed_on_the_screen_in_the/

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 8, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thanks for this. Much like the obituary at the beginning of Hereditary, as soon as the movie was over I was wishing I could go back and look at the mural again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol giving Mark the fools cap is some excellent medieval pagan tapestry shade

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Thanks for this. Much like the obituary at the beginning of Hereditary, as soon as the movie was over I was wishing I could go back and look at the mural again.

I love the use of umbilical cords as also hoses

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Real talk I spent most of the movie scrutinizing the artwork in the background

I think it was when Christian told Josh he was gonna do his project on the village that the whole time I was just looking at the mural in the background about puberty and sex

EDIT: I might buy an avatar of the little drumming skeleton. That dude rules

Look at him, you know he is shaking his hips with the music

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

i looked it up afterwards and the word means exactly what happened but my guess is he expected them to jump off out of view and also not having the coup de grace with a mallet.

I took it as scholarly knowledge vs actually seeing it happen. From the night before, he definitely knew what it meant and had that tense "I'm about to watch something horrible on YouTube" hand-on-face but for real.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's by the artist Mu Pan: http://www.mupan.com/ and is on his website...

http://www.mupan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/midsommar_color_web.jpg

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ape Agitator posted:

I took it as scholarly knowledge vs actually seeing it happen. From the night before, he definitely knew what it meant and had that tense "I'm about to watch something horrible on YouTube" hand-on-face but for real.

I read his attitude as assuming that they would be doing it in a way that was more like paying homage to the original tradition, rather than literally hurling their elders from a cliff. Too bad they didn't do it the Monty Python way, and chase them with sexy naked people.

Oh it's adorable. His garden of earthly delights painting is real good too, maybe Aster's next movie can end with a lion hydra. Or that pooping T-Rex.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I read his attitude as assuming that they would be doing it in a way that was more like paying homage to the original tradition

He asks “an actual one” and gets the response “pretty darn actual”. I think it’s just not the sort of thing you can prepare for.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Too bad they didn't do it the Monty Python way, and chase them with sexy naked people.

Uh have you seen the movie? Thet had chasing people with naked people thing down

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh have you seen the movie? Thet had chasing people with naked people thing down

But not off a cliff!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He asks “an actual one” and gets the response “pretty darn actual”. I think it’s just not the sort of thing you can prepare for.

I suppose. I thought that segment, and the bit right after, was kind of off-kilter character-wise, but I also felt like I couldn't really get a read on him.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There's even a little face in the foliage between the third and fourth panels :aaa:

edit: Annabelle beat it at the box office :(

bort fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 8, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

bort posted:

There's even a little face in the foliage between the third and fourth panels :aaa:

edit: Annabelle beat it at the box office :(

Annabelle is a part of a huge franchise produced by New Line and opened in over 1000 more theaters than Midsommar did. They were never really in direct competition.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm more disappointed in people's choices.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I want it to make a tiny profit because I would rather Aster has a career of making tiny small budget masterpieces than deal with the expectations of a bigger budget.

I admire A24s willingness to put out bleak traumatizing horror films that get awful audience scores and make a small profit and that should never change

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it actually got a C+ for a cinemascore which is like an A+++ for these types of movies.

lol

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People are just loving dumb and any movie that’s even slightly off-kilter is going to get dopes making GBS threads on it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
People were talking about walkouts earlier, and we had one at our showing even though it was just me, my wife, and two other dudes watching alone.

It was during the blood eagle scene. Which I found a bizarre time to walk out, because the movie is like 95% over that point - wouldn’t you just want to see how it ends?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when saw came out the couple in front of me walked out right before the reveal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Most walkouts I have seen was Suspira remake

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I really loved the suspiria remake, but for different reasons than the original. It was certainly better than midsommar.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Of the 6 people in the audience, a couple walked out of the new Chucky remake with about 15 minutes to go..I don't get it either..I mean, yeah, I do get it, that movie was very mediocre but that seemed like a weird stance to take at that point.

I had the inverse happen to me once..I was like one of 3 people to go see tragedy girls in its 3 day run or whatever..the movie is about to wrap up in this batshit climax 5 minutes before the thing ends and these two drunk chicks walk in, sit directly in front of me in the empty theater and just chat about nonsense the entire time remaining, then complained loudly that the movie had ended so soon. Made it all the worse that the last bit of the movie was by far the best and the rest was sort of a slog leading up to it

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Holy poo poo.

Also, if you were staying after the attestupa you're in for a penny, in for a pound, mate! Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

One other pedantic point: Whether people ever actually hacked open victims' chests and pulled out their lungs to make a "blood eagle", there's no way you could do that and the person actually breathes. You breathe by your diaphragm and the muscles in your chest wall creating negative pressure in the chest cavity which forces the lungs to expand and draw in breath via negative pressure, the opposite of blowing up a balloon. Once you've opened up the whole chest to get at the lungs, no way they can expand on their own.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zwabu posted:

Holy poo poo.

Also, if you were staying after the attestupa you're in for a penny, in for a pound, mate! Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

One other pedantic point: Whether people ever actually hacked open victims' chests and pulled out their lungs to make a "blood eagle", there's no way you could do that and the person actually breathes. You breathe by your diaphragm and the muscles in your chest wall creating negative pressure in the chest cavity which forces the lungs to expand and draw in breath via negative pressure, the opposite of blowing up a balloon. Once you've opened up the whole chest to get at the lungs, no way they can expand on their own.

the lungs were “breathing” because he was high as gently caress on mushrooms

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Speaking of attestupa, :laugh: at Christian saying "we've got to keep an open mind" when dude has just had his melon bashed open by a giant hammer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

the lungs were “breathing” because he was high as gently caress on mushrooms

I know, I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also I'm sad to see that there is not yet a Midsommar variant (that I could find) of