Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Hellioning posted:

Many Cactuar Neds have been submitted and they have been accepted. It's a manual process.

Excellent. I knew that there was some iffiness with emulation on the owner's end, so that's why I was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LiefKatano posted:

Excellent. I knew that there was some iffiness with emulation on the owner's end, so that's why I was curious.

RK looks down on emulation and especially romhacking, but he doesn't explictly outlaw it, particularly considering the added convenience of screenshot taking/stream capture it provides.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 8, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, the simple reality is that taking a hardline stance on emulation would likely mean the eventual death of the Fiesta, and I'm sure RK realizes that, regardless of his personal feelings on the matter.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I've never really seen anyone find a good use for Mimic. The three open slots are a different story, but there's just too much randomness in what the last action was for doing it again to be reliably useful.

I mean, on mobile you can select any character with a full atb bar. But due to stats, having thief mimic a flare or aga was pretty pointless. And it was better to equip artful dodger on bm to get more spells in.

I could definitely see the ability getting more use on fiesta mod, being able to mimic rapidfire before everyone has it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Speaking of validation, how long does it normally take? It's been a coupla days since I submitted the victory photo.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Speaking of validation, how long does it normally take? It's been a coupla days since I submitted the victory photo.

It's not normally that long - I submitted one yesterday around 3pm (GMT) and it was done by this morning. Sounds like it might have fallen between the cracks - maybe worth a tweet to RK?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Hmmm so I want to do some prototype grinding in world one in my new run for dark matters. I have ranger, bard, chemist, time mage. Any way that'll happen? I just keep doing 0 damage.

Don't do this to yourself; the two you get from story bossrs should be sufficient.

Dragon Pod isn't heavy, so Gravity him down to a manageable size and off him. Killer bow works too for a proc.

Boatgamesh himself can also die to the Killer bow. He can't be gravitied but Enkidu can if the fight goes into P2.

Use the two Dark Matters you get to kill the left and right Crystals (Wind and Water). Chemists can set up Absorb Fire and float to nullify the other two Crystals and murder them at their leisure (or, again, Killer Bow proc).

Additional Dark Matter can then be found in the Pyramid or Void for TwinTania or whatever else you need it for.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Zenithe posted:

RK has tweeted before that the victory tweets just need the #victory, #victoryomega, or #victoryshinryu hashtag and the photos, and no other text. It messes with the flagging process. You can also check your player page on the website, if you log in to Twitter via the site you can see the victory symbols with a ? over them before they are officially verified.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Also I'd just like to add that Gladiator owns bones, World 2 has been a snap with !Finisher and after work I'm going to try W2Exdeath.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

As a general rule of thumb, the only time you'd be able to reliably grind Prototypes, you have zero reason to grind prototypes because you have stronger tools at your disposal, namely Beastmaster and/or Chemist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So the Magic Sword Ninja no Omega counter experiment was a failure. If the second hit is a miss Omega's flag is still set and unfortunately the accuracy on Ninja's wacky no magic sword weapons is so low that it never ever hits.

Not sure what to do now. Upgrading from Ninja seems risky. The Chicken Knifer gets 10k, and the dancing sword user can get 20k on sword dance rounds. It's hard to imagine beating damage like that, but even with grinding, how am I supposed to keep them alive long enough to last through two reflected searches?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You can attack more frequently than that. What do you have for your comp?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Four Ninjas with access to Mystic Knight and Thief abilities. Equipment's not ideal- two coral rings, two wall rings, and agility boosting equipment. How do I attack more than that? Running shoes, while using Magic Lamp Carbuncle for defense and just hoping I can plaster Omega enough in one phase that it's dead or mostly dead?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Four Ninjas with access to Mystic Knight and Thief abilities. Equipment's not ideal- two coral rings, two wall rings, and agility boosting equipment. How do I attack more than that? Running shoes, while using Magic Lamp Carbuncle for defense and just hoping I can plaster Omega enough in one phase that it's dead or mostly dead?

When fighting Omega "legit" it's vital to do as much damage per counter as possible, as a bad Encircle will just ruin your day. From your previous post you're already hitting the damage cap, so you're good here. You also need strong healing and, while not strictly necessary, confuse immunity helps a LOT.

I'll be honest, I think upgrading is the right call here, as Dancer and Chemist will have an easier fight and Samurai or Dragoon aren't particularly easier or harder, but you can do this with Ninja.

Accessory choice:
Occasionally certain comps will call for Wall Rings, mainly Chemist soloing comps or comps relying on !Black for damage, with the occasional I have Masamune Samurai. You are using Thundaga spellblade on the CK or a Dancing Dagger proc for damage. You want Running Shoes. You need to be hasted to throw all the Elixirs.

If you're already hitting for damage cap and your max hp is less than, oh, 900 or so, you can probably sneak by with Hi Pots, but if not, grind up Elixirs. 40 or so should be enough.

You're going to want to abuse the status immunity bug to get confuse proof. The Bone Mail prevents confusion; go steal some Bone Mails from floaty-undead guys in the final section of the Rift. Put them on, fight a battle, then equip your normal gear (If you do upgrade and get Dancer, the Rainbow Dresses you can get by stealing in the Phoenix Tower are easier to get and give the immunity as well; Chemists can use Lamia Tiara's, bought in Phantom). With Thundaga spellblade you can probably support two attackers with !Spellblade; the others should be using whatever the Thief speed ability or something I guess, doesn't matter too much.

Float can help and there's a decent source for it right next to Omega via Poison Eagles, but if you're doing 9999 it's not essential. The fight will be over relatively quickly, one way or another. Still, it doesn't hurt.

Let's look at Omega's AI routine (from the Algorithms guide). We're going to start with his counters:

React:HP Damage{
     No Interrupt{
          {Rocket Punch,Rocket Punch,Mustard Bomb}
          {Rocket Punch,Rocket Punch,Circle}
          }
     }

Rocket Punch does 50% CURRENT HP damage and tries to confuse you. Since we are confuse-proof, we want this as much as possible. Our goal is to attack Omega, get hit with Rocket Punches, and heal up before the next Surge Beam.

Mustard Bomb will off a character (unless you are a very high level), but we should be able to recover.

If your damage dealer(s) is Encircled there's no recovery (unless like a Lightning Scroll will take Omega down), but the other team members are pretty expendable.

Now the rest of his script:

AI SCRIPT:
{Atomic Ray,Delta Attack,Blaster}
Surge Beam
{Rainbow Wind,Emission,Atomic Ray}
Surge Beam
No Interrupt{
     {Delta Attack,Blaster,Surge Beam}
     {Maelstrom,Quake,Rainbow Wind}
     }
Targeting
{Rainbow Wind,Emission,Atomic Ray}
Surge Beam

1/3 of our attempts will end off of Omega's first action. That's OK, you just have to win once. Blaster and Delta Attack aren't that bad, however. It might be worthwhile to use a lamp for Carbuckle here before Omega acts, actually, while your attackers !Spellblade up. You might be tempted to attack and get this over with, but you need to wait. If anyone is dead, remember you will need TWO actions to get them up, a Phoenix Down and an Elixir, so unless you have two free actions let them lie for now.

Then he Surge beams you. This does 50% of MAX hp and inflicts leak. OK, but all your guys are above 50% (or they're dead and don't matter) so they should live. This is your chance to attack. Hopefully you'll get through his evasion and do good damage. He'll counter, but Rocket Punch won't kill and Mustard bomb is single target.

After the attackers go, your priority is as follows:

1) Get your living party members >60~70%. Another surge beam is coming soon. Elixirs if your max HP is too high for Hi pots to support it. Don't be stingy. You're fighting *OMEGA*. There is no later in "save it for later".

2) Rez the dead AND top them off to full. This takes 2 actions, obviously. If you can't do both, Omega will drop them again with the next Surge beam, so wait until Surge beam fires again before trying.

3) Attack Omega after Surge beam.

You get into this pattern of topping yourself off, waiting for Surge beam, then attacking. You only need 6 hits to drop him. 6 hits. You can do that. Not every attempt, but one attempt, things will go right and you can get those 6 hits in. Some things will go wrong. In the double turn, you can get Surge - Maelstromed. Atomic Ray coming out at the wrong time. Your damage dealer gets Encircled.

But you can do it, and you can get the kill.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Doom Goon posted:

Wow, didn't even know it was gone, I think I use that every year to make sure I don't forget something stupid but necessary (that and Enkibot which I also didn't notice in the OP). Also, I saw this one in the Official Subreddit, somebody made an in-depth Omega post which'll probably be useful.

:toxx:
Oh, time to fulfill one and make one! Only Can of Worms and myself completed this one last Fiesta:

And I'm doing it again: $1 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end (must complete a normal run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs), although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay. It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.

Oh yeah, in it for #;debra, I mean #regWinner #BERSERKERRISK! I also did something truly stupid getting excited for the run and just nigh 100%ed Bravely Second in a seriously ridiculously short amount of time (mostly I just have to wait for Ba'al enemies from their servers). Since I'm out of those games I think next year I'll go back and beat Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light which heavily influenced it! Also, I might dip my toes into something else although I do have a couple other projects I should be putting time into.

Edit:
Completed - Osci.

Not actually using a Normal run (I'm using Pure Chaos) so I don't know if this counts, but I completed an extra spicy variant. My jobs are Freelancer/Thief/White Mage/Dancer.

Bartz has the choice of going down the Dancer path for !Rapidfire or Thief path for !Mix. I eventually settled for the latter. He only got it right after Halicarnassus, so I don't actually get to play with it much.

Lenna got the short end of the stick. She has !Sing, !White6 and !Time6, but all of them are at the end of each job, so I can't get all of them without grinding.

I don't remember why Galuf/Krile has so many abilities, but there they go. Her White Mage job has default !Time6 with !White6 end, so that's where she stayed for most of the game.

Lenna and Bartz have default !Control and everyone except Faris have Learning, so getting !Blue is pathetically easy.

Needless to say, I don't have any trouble in this run.

I also did Shinryu because why not. I can definitely do Omega with the above skills, but :effort:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Crystal battle at level 23

Three people with blue magic attempted death claw 15 times between them.

The berserker, on the other hand, got to attack 8 times with a death sickle.

I wouldn't have expected the zerk to carry this team, but he won 3 -1 on crystal kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAgmus67Is

Edit: maths is great

https://i.imgur.com/ZJVXZoL.gifv

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 8, 2019

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm doing True Chaos and they gave me White Mage/Knight/Chemist/Time Mage so I think I finally have zero excuse not to triple crown

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I finally found a name that actually made me laugh sometimes, but now I don't know who had the funny name challenge. Pure Chaos gave me Red Mage, Knight, Freelancer, Mime which... was a thing, for sure. Dualcast turned useless before W2 ended, and having seen the writing on the walls I had left the thing going at the Fire Ship so that I'd just two-hand through the rest of the game. And I did!

High points:

Low points: The sinking realization that Dualcast will be useless as I get more classes :smith:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://i.imgur.com/WgI0tQT.gifv

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

THAT HIPPIE poo poo AI---... !!!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I've got thief-summoner-ninja so far. With the ninja pull there really isn't a reason to run multiple thieves or to bother with trying to max that job out at all right? Side question, does magic help with ninja scroll damage at all?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ZypherIM posted:

So I've got thief-summoner-ninja so far. With the ninja pull there really isn't a reason to run multiple thieves or to bother with trying to max that job out at all right? Side question, does magic help with ninja scroll damage at all?

Your magic stat does improve scroll damage. You'll want to get dualwield on the thief and ninja and also put summon on the ninja to make scrolls do more damage. Finally you'll want to steal some twinblades from the art in bal basement.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Playing this on GBA, and it's actually my first time playing ff5 beyond like the first few minutes once

So far I have Blue Mage - Time Mage. Having a pretty great time! I've not actually beaten the water crystal area yet, but I went ahead and got the job so I could pre-buy some equipment. Currently I just need to figure out who to slap this Elf Mantle on.

Jackanapes are very rude btw

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

MagusDraco posted:

Your magic stat does improve scroll damage. You'll want to get dualwield on the thief and ninja and also put summon on the ninja to make scrolls do more damage. Finally you'll want to steal some twinblades from the art in bal basement.

Cool, was sort of my rough plan. I was looking around a bit after getting summoner to find where the summons were located (because I remember that you can completely miss some), and saw that thief was considered kind of a hard start. This was surprising to me, considering I found daggers off the skeletons in the ship (and potions from the ghosts) followed by mithril daggers from some birds or something in the water tower right after a heal or save point or some such. That combined with the number of turns you get made stuff pretty easy.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

ZypherIM posted:

So I've got thief-summoner-ninja so far. With the ninja pull there really isn't a reason to run multiple thieves or to bother with trying to max that job out at all right?

You might want to get Mug on the ninja to bypass the Chicken Knife's flee but even then you can do Twin Lance strats instead and keep Summon on her for throwing scrolls and the general usefulness of summon.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Thief is rough compared to other starts because it has both poor damage and weak healing until after Wals tower (which iirc is when you can start stealing big medicine). White mage has poor damage but is unkillable and the other wind jobs have big enough damage to not be an issue. If you're using a hack to unlock jobs early poo poo like Mime or Bard is a worse start, though (I say this from experience; if your post-wind Wind job doesn't have good damage options, just use Freelancer).

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 9, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

blakelmenakle posted:

You might want to get Mug on the ninja to bypass the Chicken Knife's flee but even then you can do Twin Lance strats instead and keep Summon on her for throwing scrolls and the general usefulness of summon.

What are the Twin Lance strats? And the other things for Chicken Knife? Because I only equip it for boss fights, so I'm missing out on damage from it, and if that's the case, I might as well just go for the Brave Blade…

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Going twinlance main hand and chicken knife off hand bypasses the flee proc on snes and gba.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I didn't know about chicken knife off-hand skipping the flee proc, but I'm pretty sure when you use mug/capture from thief it doesn't proc on-hit stuff like the flee effect.

Like Clockwork posted:

Thief is rough compared to other starts because it has both poor damage and weak healing until after Wals tower (which iirc is when you can start stealing big medicine). White mage has poor damage but is unkillable and the other wind jobs have big enough damage to not be an issue. If you're using a hack to unlock jobs early poo poo like Mime or Bard is a worse start, though (I say this from experience; if your post-wind Wind job doesn't have good damage options, just use Freelancer).

I guess that makes sense, and other jobs probably don't need to stick around the ship graveyard as much (cure from white mage to level there probably works well too). I've got a pretty high tolerance for grinding a bit while watching something on the side so that is probably skewing how I'm viewing it.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

Bufuman posted:

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

And this toxx is over, but...

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Jesus Christ that was an experience.

Cribbing Archenteron's stats:

LEVEL 97
:siren:1x Dragon Crest:siren:
3x Aegis Shield
3x Thornlet
4x Bone Mail
4x Wall/Flame/Coral/Angel Ring
4x Hermes Sandals
50 Elixirs
9,999,999 gil
292:44 ingame timer

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Run #3: Advance — Thief / Red Mage / Bard / Gladiator

No toxxes this time since the double-Ragnarok one hit its limit already. :smith: This run was a fun mixture of !Fleeing when I wanted to race through stuff and owning bones with !Finisher or Requiem spam. !Bladeblitz was just a little too much AP to grind out and use since it was pretty useless on bosses, even though I did end up getting it on Bartz and Faris eventually. Lenna learned !Dualcast and !Sing and not much else, Red Mage is seriously such a huge pain in the dick. My NED strategy was to !Sing for a while on Treedeath, then rush down Almagest with !Finishers, then do the same with Dragon while throwing Apollo's Harp at it as well. Omega got Romeo locked and stabbed with Trident and Coral Sword, and Shinryu got a Power Staff on the noggin.

12 jobs down, 13 to go!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

Cool, was sort of my rough plan. I was looking around a bit after getting summoner to find where the summons were located (because I remember that you can completely miss some), and saw that thief was considered kind of a hard start. This was surprising to me, considering I found daggers off the skeletons in the ship (and potions from the ghosts) followed by mithril daggers from some birds or something in the water tower right after a heal or save point or some such. That combined with the number of turns you get made stuff pretty easy.

I got thief start for my first run of FF5 ever, so like 90% blind. Just took a lot of brute force.

Mythril knife is later, stolen from the wyverns though. Skeletons drop Dirk and the rate is pretty bad if you want four of them, but you'll always appreciate the levels.

I killed a lot of wyverns while stacking up knives to sell later until I could beat Garula.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I also got thief open on my first ever play through of this game.

Second time around I got knight, and it was definitely a contrast.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I also got thief open on my first ever play through of this game.

Second time around I got knight, and it was definitely a contrast.

The Wind Job truly is a land of contrasts

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Finished a second run this year for once! I wanted to try Pure Chaos to see if it would give me something nutty and weird. Instead, I got a Wind job, Water job, Fire job, and Earth job. :shepface:

Though my Fire job was first and my Wind job was third, that was still kind of annoying. I wanted CHAOS. Next time I hope it goes better, though I don't know if I'll play it again this year. If I do it'll be near the tail end.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mp5 posted:

The Wind Job truly is a land of contrasts

I have now played all of the wind jobs. In order of preference.

Blue mage is hilarious just for some of the weirdness they open up. I haven't finished my blue mage run yet but using mathematics to kill bosses is incredibly satisfying. You can see the hallmarks of the developers fear of this class in the prime numbers, the undead, and the fact the water tower's garula can cast toad on himself to make himself not a toad.

If it weren't for the blue mage's magic hammer (and the dragoon's lance) I wouldn't have done this

https://i.imgur.com/arNCw6m.gifv

Knight is great. You can use them brainlessly or you can start thinking ahead about tactical shield use. They're solid on their own, and a great base for support classes. Also as shown above I do love doing out of the way things just for the fun of it, and the knight just begs you to open the box on the left. I haven't done a brave run yet, but drat it's tempting.

Black Mage comes out flying in the early game by driving a crowbar (or a rod) into any openings made by elemental weaknesses. Then it starts building a stockpile of powerful status effects, not least stone and dead. Finally it gets flare. Black Mage for me is the fond memory of turning everything in phoenix tower into toads so we can just farm items with a thief knife in relative safety. Black mage isn't necessarily as fun or as swaggy as Blue and Knight, but it's consistently strong. It can also throw rods.

I got White Mage as a Water job in a random run, so I don't know what it's like to open with. Nonetheless I imagine that getting White is a sigh of relief for any run. It makes so much crap survivable and then comes out of nowhere in the endgame with Holy. I might have been doing it wrong but Holy seemed to hurt things a little more than Flare. Confuse is also a neat tool, and it allowed me to find some floating before I fought titan. My only issue with white mage is that I haven't found its swag yet. Blue mage is made of swag. Knight has the brave blade. Where's the idiocy that white opens up? I could have missed something, or is white just... sensible? Black also lacks a little bit of swag, and what put black above white for me is that black can always hold its own in a fight, where white is relying on someone else to do its hitting for it until it gets the damage.

Thief is a horrible opener, and my sad experiences of dagger grinds and hacking away at an elephant may have soured my impressions. With that said, there hasn't been a run since where I haven't missed the thief's increased speed, its flee, and it doing away with back attacks. Stealing can be literal swag, and mug bypasses the chicken knife's escape proc. The only reason it isn't higher is because this is a game where you only progress when you win bossfights. Thief doesn't add much to that, even though it does a lot to make everything else smoother.

Monk The monks come out kicking as an opener. They get a great start. The problem with me and the monks is that I have a tendency to try and tear through this game quickly. A class that only improves with character levels is a class that will inherently lag behind when I'm playing it. Monk is fantastic if you can find a way to unnaturally put levels on it. I was lucky enough to be rocking a chemist in my monk run, for example. None of the other classes I've listed have that big of an "if" over them, and that puts monk right at the bottom.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 10, 2019

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Azza Bamboo for FJF Rookie Of The Year 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I got White Mage as a Water job in a random run, so I don't know what it's like to open with. Nonetheless I imagine that getting White is a sigh of relief for any run. It makes so much crap survivable and then comes out of nowhere in the endgame with Holy. I might have been doing it wrong but Holy seemed to hurt things a little more than Flare. Confuse is also a neat tool, and it allowed me to find some floating before I fought titan. My only issue with white mage is that I haven't found its swag yet. Blue mage is made of swag. Knight has the brave blade. Where's the idiocy that white opens up? I could have missed something, or is white just... sensible? Black also lacks a little bit of swag, and what put black above white for me is that black can always hold its own in a fight, where white is relying on someone else to do its hitting for it until it gets the damage.

You may not get any goofiness, but playing with White Mage is like this. I'll take it over a lot of other fancier classes.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
WM tends to be more "Stoo hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself." to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
White mage is nice to have (multi-target Cura and Curaga are hella lifesavers, Protect/Shell are hella nice, and some of the other stuff is useful, albeit in more niche situations) but goddamn if you're trying to play it legit it's still suffering. Everything just takes so long to die, even with the flail.

I was going to do a "more legit" run for my second time but I got white mage again as my first job and I just. couldn't.