Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The little tornado things seem to affect parachuting enemies at least, there was a neat goon level where parachuting lava bubbles were being kept afloat by one

Those tornados are pretty awful. They've got some weirdly inconsistent behavior due to their upward push being variable and having a start up time which sometimes doesn't occur. It makes me not want to use them at all in any level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Their behavior is really unique and useful for puzzles but absolutely not for any platforming that requires a degree of precision or speed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Those tornados are pretty awful. They've got some weirdly inconsistent behavior due to their upward push being variable and having a start up time which sometimes doesn't occur. It makes me not want to use them at all in any level.

phew, for a while I thought it was just me being bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah that's why I basically just used them as a trap in that water level I made.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

phew, for a while I thought it was just me being bad

Nope. You'll just pass right through them occasionally even if you're coming almost straight down. And the timing on jumping out of them changes with every swing of the wind. Even in puzzles, they jiggle what they're moving a bit randomly and getting things out of them can be iffy as a result.

On the rankings of best to worst additions in MM2 it's:

1. Snake blocks
103. Whirlwinds
104. Meowser
105. The car

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The whirlwind are consistent as far as max height goes, you just have to let go of the jump button and press it again to get the boost.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
Whirlwinds stick out like a sore thumb for how rigid they are too next to wild poo poo like Nintendo just up and adding an elaborate weight system purely for the benefit of seesaws, beyond them just feeling finicky mechanically. Boo, is what I would say about whirlwinds.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I made my very first Mario level, it's not awful I guess.

Mushroom Zone - D2T-GHB-BPF

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Nope. You'll just pass right through them occasionally even if you're coming almost straight down. And the timing on jumping out of them changes with every swing of the wind. Even in puzzles, they jiggle what they're moving a bit randomly and getting things out of them can be iffy as a result.

On the rankings of best to worst additions in MM2 it's:

1. Snake blocks
103. Whirlwinds
104. Meowser
105. The car

Number 1 should be the desert theme. :colbert:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Number 1 should be the desert theme. claw :colbert:

edit: Does anyone remember if X=9 shenanigans was a punishable offense in Mario Maker 1?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

Number 1 should be the desert theme. :colbert:

The SNES desert theme is amazing.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

NofrikinfuN posted:

The SNES desert theme is amazing.

I actually think the tileset and the music don't really gel that well! But I'm in the minority on that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Culka posted:

I made my very first Mario level, it's not awful I guess.

Mushroom Zone - D2T-GHB-BPF

You’re right, it’s not! That trick jump at the very beginning with Kuribos shoe was a bit painful to figure out, though.

I made another SMB3 level, this one specifically inspired by World 3-9. It’s a water level where you don’t need to swim at all, if you don’t mind being shot with Bullet Bills instead.

SMB3 Revival: High and Dry 2TH-Q1C-T7G

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I actually think the tileset and the music don't really gel that well! But I'm in the minority on that.

The tileset is kinda odd on that one, more choco mountain than desert. But that synth accordion :swoon:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OneMoreTime posted:

The fact that it doesn't feels like such an oversight for a company like Nintendo.

I have a hunch they do this on purpose to save new features for the next Mario Maker game.

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: Does anyone remember if X=9 shenanigans was a punishable offense in Mario Maker 1?

I don’t think there would be an easy way to figure out who’s doing this, so I doubt it. I know it’s still a bug in Mario Maker 2, though.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 8, 2019

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I like the new themes a lot as well as the various night mechanics, but I wish there was an option to choose stage music from the other available stage tracks. Sometimes I just want to use the regular 'overworld' track, the athletic track, or just not have twinkly music.

They also didn't include the Double Cherry Pass track as an option in the SM3DW theme. :argh:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Good Sphere posted:

I have a hunch they do this on purpose to save new features for the next Mario Maker game.

I don’t think there would be an easy way to figure out who’s doing this, so I doubt it. I know it’s still a bug in Mario Maker 2, though.

It is and I thought about looking for an optional x=9 trick for a bonus item, but I don't wanna do it if they're just gonna delete my level for glitching.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I've been using them to decent effect in a fast-paced level to smoothly get a moving Koopa Shell from one semisolid platform to a higher one. It helps that there is a sideways Thwomp to clear them the hell out of the way before they affect Mario.

I will have this level uploaded sometime today, hopefully. It is really loving fun and difficult!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone done anything interesting with the night time desert wind theme? I didn't realise it worked slightly differently in each game

SMB1 - Wind blows left with pauses
SMB3 - Wind blows right with pauses
SMW - Wind alternates between left/right
NSMBU - Wind is always blowing to the right with no pauses

I only ever see it used as decoration since it looks awesome in the classic styles

I have this! Desert Daring - BT9-2JY-0KF. Personal Blitz level.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 8, 2019

Ali Zaybak
Oct 29, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

A little bit of Goon Mario

Unleash the Madlads: Don't make boss fights with respawning powerups. That's just bad and lazy design. It tells me you don't have enough confidence in the fight you designed to beat it without having to tank damage constantly. Which was weird since the boss of this stage wasn't even hard.

Other than that, it was a fine stage. Didn't really see any huge problems other than the aforementioned poor boss design.

Don't Warp Desert: I have no clue what was going on with this level. Felt like you had a unique idea to work with in the player needing to avoid warp boxes, but you included a bunch of confusing nonsense that had nothing to do with it. Everything felt out of place and left me with little desire to actually play this, despite being interested initially.

Mario in the Whale: What a bizarre level. I'll echo what others have said that the intro to this level is just way too annoying. Bumper spam is really hard to navigate. Also, I don't feel like the theme of this level was sold super well. It didn't really feel like the 'worms' did anything, and their presence was more or less irrelevant. I was really sour on this level, but the end with the blowhole twister made me smile, so it has some merit. And at least you did try to do something unique with this bizarre theme, which I think deserves some appreciation.

If you or anyone else wants to make a disgusting vore level for some reason, I recommend using the SMW aquatic theme for it. You can make a background of the red coral. Combined with red blocks its as close to an organ appearance as you can get I think. Spamming the heartbeat sound effect can sell it even more. I did this for a level back in Mario Maker 1 and it worked surprisingly well.

Forest Vault Raid : I was gonna play more levels but this one took me like 30 fuckin minutes.

I hate spin jumps so right out of the gate this was not the stage for me. I wanna get better at them though so I was determined to beat it. It felt very overwhelming and frustrating but I think its one of those stages that wants to be. I'm not a good judge of them. All I know for sure is that you put in an effort to make it look nice which is appreciated.

Hey, thanks for checking out Forest Vault Raid! Sorry it was frustrating. I definitely wanted it to ramp up to be a pretty tough level, but I had a hard time balancing the cannons between "this shoots directly in your jump path" and "this will not get near you in a meaningful way." I decided to just be ok with the former, but thinking it through again, I probably should have just done a redesign on some of the later sections.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you thought it looked nice! Doing the decorations was pretty fun once I worked out a theme!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Finally finished my very first level: NDN-QW9-YPG

Fairly easy castle stage with groundbreaking Wiggler npc companions, and a few secrets & optional reward paths for those more experienced

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I honestly think this is my best level. I am really, really happy with how it turned out as it's difficult, but usually fair. (You might get a pattern that's just a pain in the rear end to work with, but there's enough power ups to recover.) Please give this a shot if you have the time. I've tuned it to be at the level of a final boss so it's not going to be easy but man I'm just happy right now.

Meowser's Big Battle

I used up all the space I could and even made it (mostly) multiplayer friendly. There's diverging paths, alternate routes! More! Wow!
Only thing is that I couldn't figure out how to make the player stay and fight Meowser when you get to that phase. He's not terribly hard with how I handled him but oh well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Good Sphere posted:

This, but maybe it's for an upcoming patch and/or DLC to re-ignite interest in the game. Like how people have predicted that the SNES games will start to be released around Sept, when everyone's subscriptions might be auto-cancelled, now they'd be renewed for those games.

Then again, not having NSO and therefore not being able to download and share levels in SMM2 would suck a lot, and there are already a LOT of people doing both of those things.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly think this is my best level. I am really, really happy with how it turned out as it's difficult, but usually fair. (You might get a pattern that's just a pain in the rear end to work with, but there's enough power ups to recover.) Please give this a shot if you have the time. I've tuned it to be at the level of a final boss so it's not going to be easy but man I'm just happy right now.

Meowser's Big Battle

I used up all the space I could and even made it (mostly) multiplayer friendly. There's diverging paths, alternate routes! More! Wow!
Only thing is that I couldn't figure out how to make the player stay and fight Meowser when you get to that phase. He's not terribly hard with how I handled him but oh well.

I haven't built on that theme yet but I know it lacks a lot of things. Does it have the key/key door? That's a very good solution.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Lobster posted:

I haven't built on that theme yet but I know it lacks a lot of things. Does it have the key/key door? That's a very good solution.

It does have the keys (like collecting the red ones to get the real one, or just flat out getting the real one) and key doors.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

Yeah, it does.

I used all the space though so didn't have room for the doors without creating some ugly floating room off to the side. It's honestly no big deal

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Meowser's Big Battle

I think this is definitely the right way to use Meowser. The 3D Land/World final bosses are some of my favourite in the whole series because they're basically just obstacle courses with Bowser chasing you instead of the "hit x 3 times thing" you get with most Mario bosses. Like I said in my comment on the level I think this really captures that perfectly, it was awesome

I wasn't super into the POW block fight at the end because it felt like it kind of killed the momentum after a really fun/chaotic climb (and I didn't realise it was optional) but yeah the level is fantastic

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This is a Rhythm Game!
4VC-XM5-8GF

I made a Super Mario World water stage where if you press the swim button along with the music you will get through safely!

You do not have to do this to get through, but the fun comes from playing to the rhythm.

Annoyingly Mario World Mario’s swim sound effect plays at a slight delay to the button press, so his BWOOP of swimming doesn’t play perfectly alongside the note. Oh well, you don’t notice at all while playing.

There’s some leeway here, but if you press one too many notes during a fast section you will throw off the rhythm. It’s tough to get perfect.

Oh, and don’t start until you’re out of the tunnel! I hope that’s clear during the stage, but just in case.

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...

DalaranJ posted:

Week Two's Jam has begun. The theme is "Taking Care of Business".

You can do anything having to do with business of any kind. Factories, farming, contract killings, lemonade stands, video game design?

Submit jam courses here

Finished a level bright-and-early for this jam - hope you all enjoy it!

quote:

I swear, this is why you don't piss-off your production crew...
Now the foreman's locked himself in the freezer and the squids are running the show.
Can you escape the cannery in one piece and tentacle-free?

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 8, 2019

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Intl Cron posted:

Finished a level bright-and-early for this jam - hope you all enjoy it!

I’ll like anything with the green pipe level theme! The way the blue snake blocks push the canons was very cool.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
I wanted to make use of the new win conditions for my first level, so I made am experimental collectathon-inspired course. The idea is to explore a somewhat open-ended space, solving puzzles and uncovering secrets in order to collect enough coins before reaching the end. There's even an optional boss fight!

6MY-YQQ-LFG

One obvious issue is that the course takes about 5 minutes to complete, even knowing where everything is, and alternate win conditions don't allow checkpoints, so don't die!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Jellymouth posted:

I wanted to make use of the new win conditions for my first level, so I made am experimental collectathon-inspired course. The idea is to explore a somewhat open-ended space, solving puzzles and uncovering secrets in order to collect enough coins before reaching the end. There's even an optional boss fight!

6MY-YQQ-LFG

One obvious issue is that the course takes about 5 minutes to complete, even knowing where everything is, and alternate win conditions don't allow checkpoints, so don't die!

It was good! I made it to the end with 45 seconds left. 7 and a half minutes! If you care about how many people complete your stage I wouldn’t make such a lengthy checkpointless one.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
If anyone feels like giving my level a test I would appreciate it! Its a pure platforming level and its got a checkpoint midway for ease of use!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

IIRC, no. While any level that exploits a bug is grounds for removal, Nintendo's solution was to patch the bug and then let the existing levels that used it run on the original version of the engine while using it levels created after the patch just couldn't be cleared.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Help Im Alive posted:

I think this is definitely the right way to use Meowser. The 3D Land/World final bosses are some of my favourite in the whole series because they're basically just obstacle courses with Bowser chasing you instead of the "hit x 3 times thing" you get with most Mario bosses. Like I said in my comment on the level I think this really captures that perfectly, it was awesome

I wasn't super into the POW block fight at the end because it felt like it kind of killed the momentum after a really fun/chaotic climb (and I didn't realise it was optional) but yeah the level is fantastic

Yeah I think this is how he's supposed to be used. He just suits it so well, so I'm happy to have been able to build a course around it.
Really glad you liked it!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Here's my second go at a level:

Goomba Production Line
S8T-8L7-4HF

It's an SMB1 underground level with Goomba pipes, conveyor belts, on/off switches and a secret or two. I also tried to make it speedrun-friendly if that's your thing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Forktoss posted:

Here's my second go at a level:

Goomba Production Line
S8T-8L7-4HF

It's an SMB1 underground level with Goomba pipes, conveyor belts, on/off switches and a secret or two. I also tried to make it speedrun-friendly if that's your thing.

I disturbed the production line. I ain’t gonna let you tell me what to do.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wendell posted:

I disturbed the production line. I ain’t gonna let you tell me what to do.

oh now you've done it!!

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Just finished my first level, it’s a red coin hunt (just climb the trees and you’ll be fine!) - I wanted to make something with a little more exploring and I tried to keep the bullshit to a minimum so I hope you guys won’t have much difficulty with it!

I’d love some thoughts;

215-CCH-WVF

Absolutely loving this game so far and I’ve got a backlog of goon made levels to get through this evening which look to be leagues ahead of the guff I’ve been getting in the wild!

Luxury Tent Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Just finished my first level, it’s a red coin hunt (just climb the trees and you’ll be fine!) - I wanted to make something with a little more exploring and I tried to keep the bullshit to a minimum so I hope you guys won’t have much difficulty with it!

I’d love some thoughts;

215-CCH-WVH

Absolutely loving this game so far and I’ve got a backlog of goon made levels to get through this evening which look to be leagues ahead of the guff I’ve been getting in the wild!

Are you sure the code is right? I'm getting a course not found error