Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

DNC @ 78: Flourish and Saber Dance really amped up something that was already fun. With Flourish do I want to be using all my procs? Like if I'm in a ST situation, are the AOE procs worth using? (I think they work out to more potency then the ST starters?) AOE seems like you'd probably throwing away a lot of potency just to fish for procs.

Flourish AOE procs are worth using in ST.

For AOE just replace your ST combo with your AOE combo on 2+ targets. IIRC flourish ST procs are still worth at 2 targets but bad at 3+ but I might be remembering that wrong. Standard Finish is a DPS loss at 6+ targets but just hit it anyway because woo big numbers and you need to keep the buff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm honestly wondering if WHM getting light themed upgrades is quietly paving the way for Geomancer, a job that would get much more mileage out of earth and wind related stuff.

People have been speculating about this since literally 2.0 and it's unlikely to ever happen. Doubly so after the AST 60-70 storyline.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ast dps is as bad as it always was the issue is you dont have any good buffs th help mitigate it anymore outside of pooping out 5% buffs to single targets every 30 seconds which you're just never going to put on yourself. New cards are boring and overly flattened the class to help mitigate the issue of drawing s suboptimal hand to the point the cards themselves are almost vestigial and could be easily replaced with a single button that applies the buff to target and gives you a random token.

New ast isnt just numerically bad like ast has been at the start of each expac it's also super boring.

Also horoscope not auto popping if it runs out is super dumb for a spell that's already kind of poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

isk posted:

I'm good with Zenos as a villain because he's clear and uncomplicated, and I think that works in the FFXIV rogues gallery. If every villain is sympathetic and complex, the story can get muddy and exhausting. It gets into GoT syndrome where it's hard to know who to root for. Can work in an experience where the audience is a witness. Games - especially ones where the player character is an upright protagonist - have different goals & expectations.

Also yes the VA kills it

I think the bigger issue is that Zenos just can't carry a story. There's almost nothing you can do with him as a villain but fight him or invent reasons not to fight him, and fighting him got old real fast in Stormblood until the plot finally said we were allowed to beat him this time WHOOPS NEVER MIND.

That kind of limited and shallow villain can work fine for a bad guy's lieutenant or enforcer, but only when there are more interesting villains in the ensemble to do the bulk of the story's work.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Truth Quark posted:

Except its rapidly going to become our problem since if I remember correctly he literally talks about devouring Hydaelyn to gain the power he needs to defeat us, his enemy. But hey, at least I was right about Zenos stopping black rose use since it would be too boring for him!

Come to think of it, this would have happened regardless of whether we went to the first so we were never really in danger of dying to black rose.

I wish we had more interaction with named empire people who weren't ice chewing psychopaths or whom immediately defect. The msq for stormblood mentioned there are pacifist sects in imperial leadership but we've yet to see anything aside from the one guy.

If anything, I would love for there to be a conflict in philosophy wherein the opposing philosophy is something other than "yay, genocide". Someone kind of like Beatrix in FF9 who's basically an insanely skilled jobber who loves her people and hopes the queen comes to her senses. I kind of think Gaius could fill that niche in an interesting way considering the ways he's changed since 2.0.

Also am I the only one who was kind of disappointed we didn't get to see Zenos and Einstinian square off and fight in the run up to Shadowbringers? I think that would of been super rad considering Einstinian is probably the most powerful / effective ally npc in play at the moment. If anyone would of had a chance against an already weakened Zenos, it's probably him.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

there’s a place for uncomplicated villains (grynewaht) I just don’t think they’re necessarily interesting enough to stick around as long as katana golf bag boy might

but thats eye emm oh and that’s ok too

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UHD posted:

there’s a place for uncomplicated villains (grynewaht) I just don’t think they’re necessarily interesting enough to stick around as long as katana golf bag boy might

but thats eye emm oh and that’s ok too

yeah, i think theyve done all they really can with zenos and he's going to get put out to pasture next patch or so. i mean i like him but there's not a lot of reason for him to exist at this point

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Zenos could absolutely be a filler conflict for a patch or two without it feeling awful. We've still got like, a year and a half before they start setting up 6.0 in earnest. There's a lot of main scenario quests between now and then.

edit: Gaius is just Gul Dukat, but with the ability to hold himself back from being insufferable 24/7

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Meicyn posted:

Going to bandwagon as well with my yaoi-cat.

On the subject of Zenos:

If it wasn't for the voice actor's superb performances, I probably wouldn't like Zenos' one-dimensional character. I'm definitely glad Varis is gone, probably means after Zenos is gone, Gaius will probably end up running the Republic of Garlemald or some other thing. I think my biggest concern with the story at this point is that we're into DBZ power level territory, and after Zenos goes and absorbs Hydaelyn or Zodiark or whatever the hell is probably going to happen and we fight him and win, it's like... where do you go from there?

Well the most obvious of what comes (very far off in the future) next is Whatever caused the undivided sources original fallout in the first place and the 13th or whatever can pop up from the void like something out of 40ks warp for us to visit in the shorter term

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Meiteron posted:

As far as post 5.0 story goes (obvious post-credits spoilers here) we are almost certainly either dealing with Elidibus or Zenos by the end of 5.3. XIV's scenario writing has held to a very rigid framework for each of it's expansions and I would expect this to continue - in every expansion they leave threads hanging or even outright cliffhangers and use three patches to fully resolve the campaign storylines - Nidhogg was 3.3, Tsukuyomi was 4.3, and by the end of those patches everything was mostly sorted. They use the .4 and .5 patches to set up whatever the next expansion would be. As such, odds are good we will be dealing with one of the two remaining antagonists in 5.3 and whoever's left standing will be the driving factor for whatever 6.0 is going to be.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed and hoping we get Four Fiends at some point as trials, and thinking about this made me consider a certain unresolved villain

After you beat Ran'jit, his corpse disappears and I think there's some NPC dialogue about it in Eulmore, so there's a good chance he isn't dead for real... and it made me notice a certain resemblance in his post transformation outfit...

Maybe an undead dungeon (There's a buncha undead elves running around Lakeland...) with a robed man throwing zombie hordes at you as the final boss, then he rezzes Ran'jit and reveals himself to be Scarmiglione! Fill in the other two fiends as you wish :getin:

This is my new theory for the 5.x trial series and i will NOT be swayed

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Zenos is fine, he's a big hammy standard Bad Guy, but I had hoped they would do more with him between the end of 4.0 and where we are now if they intend for him to be our next antagonist. He's an unkillable Terminator, so his pleasant stroll back home could have also been a horrible rampage or something to remind everyone that the WoL is basically the only thing that can stop him, which, in its own way, is also what he's after. Two birds, one golf bag of swords. As it is, we won, we put him on pause, now he's back! Let's resume?

Also:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mulva posted:

Also here's Varis' motivations in every conversation and action of his entire life: He's a massive loving racist, imperialist rear end in a top hat. And anything that implies he's not the most strong and perfect being in existence is to be destroyed.

I'll be completely honest I never really got what Varis' whole deal was. Granted I was a bit checked out from the game in general for 4.4 and 4.5, but let me see if I had the proper read on this:

(This will include spoilers up to post-credits ShB)

Emet-Selchs created the Garlean empire and Varis doesn't like the fact that his entire life is a lie and his hard-won empire is nothing more then a hammer in the Ascian's toolbox. Ok, great. So his answer to this, as far as I could get from his megalomaniacal ranting with the Eorzean leaders is to... work to combine all the worlds back into one, so that the surviving races will have the power to stand up to the Ascians.

Which is... exactly what the Ascians want, and are already doing? Except he frames it as fighting against the Ascians?? And he hates Ascians but still blithely allows Elidibus-in-Zenos to go do whatever the hell he wants while Emet is off doing what the gently caress ever??? And he was working on developing Black Rose for eventual deployment which we also know from the entirety of Shadowbringers was, again, exactly what the Ascians wanted. And then Zenos kills him! I just don't really get the point of him as a character.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Meiteron posted:

I'll be completely honest I never really got what Varis' whole deal was. Granted I was a bit checked out from the game in general for 4.4 and 4.5, but let me see if I had the proper read on this:

Post msq - the way I see it is

Part 1 of their plan is the same - rejoin all the worlds.
Part 2 of Varis's plan is to overthrow and fight the Ascians, now that everyone's comparatively super saiyan. (Maybe, I think this is what he believes, but I don't think this will empower normal souls.)
Part 2 of the Ascian's plan is to sacrifice the lesser races (like the Garleans) to Zodiark, to return the citizens of Amaurot to life.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zenos is super boring and I wish they would just ditch him already but it looks like he's going to be once again one of the major villains of the patch series which is a huge disappointment. With any luck he'll just die off screen between 5.0 and 5.1 and just never appear or be mentioned again outside of a casual mention of him dying on the toilet or something.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Meiteron posted:

yeah, that's the idea, and there's no contradiction in it. guy's an accelerationist. he thinks frail reflections are incapable of beating the ascians. when the rejoining is complete he plans to merk them and take the completed world for mankind. he's with them on the rejoining, just not on who gets to rule the rejoined world.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Meiteron posted:

Emet-Selchs created the Garlean empire and Varis doesn't like the fact that his entire life is a lie and his hard-won empire is nothing more then a hammer in the Ascian's toolbox. Ok, great. So his answer to this, as far as I could get from his megalomaniacal ranting with the Eorzean leaders is to... work to combine all the worlds back into one, so that the surviving races will have the power to stand up to the Ascians.

Which is... exactly what the Ascians want, and are already doing? Except he frames it as fighting against the Ascians?? And he hates Ascians but still blithely allows Elidibus-in-Zenos to go do whatever the hell he wants while Emet is off doing what the gently caress ever??? And he was working on developing Black Rose for eventual deployment which we also know from the entirety of Shadowbringers was, again, exactly what the Ascians wanted. And then Zenos kills him! I just don't really get the point of him as a character.

he's under pretty direct control considering that up until extremely recently one of the ascians was just hanging out in his place. his plan works like their plan up to a point because he doesn't think he can take them without a long-term gambit of his own.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think my biggest question with regards to how Stormblood ended is how Gaius is suppose to be killing Ascians. The scions have killed what, 2? And each one was a massive undertaking that involved trapping their soul and aether shocking them out of existence. Garleans don't have the ability to channel aether, so unless he's figured out another way whatever he's doing is just killing their corporeal bodies and they'll just come back later.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the Lightning hairstyle that you see on the Lalafell when you unlock the Aesthetician available for the player character at any point? Or is it just a cute nod?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

Is the Lightning hairstyle that you see on the Lalafell when you unlock the Aesthetician available for the player character at any point? Or is it just a cute nod?

it was from an event and is now in the cash shop

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Zenos is super boring and I wish they would just ditch him already but it looks like he's going to be once again one of the major villains of the patch series which is a huge disappointment. With any luck he'll just die off screen between 5.0 and 5.1 and just never appear or be mentioned again outside of a casual mention of him dying on the toilet or something.

Actually Zenos is great and I'm glad that crazy motherfucker has managed to stick around, and now with roughly three times the insanity.

And I will also do this now

And to contribute something else than just bandwagoning, I could never use a Fantasia at this point to be honest. I've played the same character from the start and changing my bald bastard into a bunny girl or whatever now would feel incredibly weird. It's a dumb thing but I'd probably lose nearly all attachment to the story at that point.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DeathSandwich posted:

I think my biggest question with regards to how Stormblood ended is how Gaius is suppose to be killing Ascians. The scions have killed what, 2? And each one was a massive undertaking that involved trapping their soul and aether shocking them out of existence. Garleans don't have the ability to channel aether, so unless he's figured out another way whatever he's doing is just killing their corporeal bodies and they'll just come back later.

We've killed two of the unbroken, plus one fragmented(?) ascian. There's a bunch of fragmented Ascians floating around, Emet/Elidibus/Lahabrea were plucking them from various shards to use for whatever they needed, if one died you'd just go get another copy of the same guy. Presumably he's killing fragments.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Alakaiser posted:

edit: Gaius is just Gul Dukat, but with the ability to hold himself back from being insufferable 24/7

how dare you

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kanfy posted:

Actually Zenos is great and I'm glad that crazy motherfucker has managed to stick around, and now with roughly three times the insanity.

And I will also do this now

And to contribute something else than just bandwagoning, I could never use a Fantasia at this point to be honest. I've played the same character from the start and changing my bald bastard into a bunny girl or whatever now would feel incredibly weird. It's a dumb thing but I'd probably lose nearly all attachment to the story at that point.

I'm right there with you, the most I do is change the color of my roeboy pompadour and that's about it. Fantasia-ing to a bun or catgirl or male catgirl just seems sacrilegious at this point. If someone put a gun to my head and made me do it, I would probably go from a giant roedude to the smallest lala I could make.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
halfway shb spoilers

did they every explain what emet meant when he was telling the wod about them not being able to remember the ascians at their peak?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
beat the story. last dungeon was cool. last trial was a great spectacle but pretty weak mechanically? imo shinryu was better in that regard, tho im sure the ex version will be bonkers.

the pic people are posting is strong "i cant believe you drank my last beer" energy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh are we doing MSQ images, cool

Oh no!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too soon

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blast of Confetti posted:

it was from an event and is now in the cash shop

Nice, thanks.

Also, I used to see this in Destiny all the time but ran into it for the first time in FFXIV. I was at Camp Bluefog trying to do the quest for the Basilisk stew, and some high level rear end in a top hat was just running around murdering the basilisks as fast as possible to make it difficult for anyone trying to do the quest.

Great job, jerk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alakaiser posted:

Gaius is just Gul Dukat, but with the ability to hold himself back from being insufferable 24/7

Nah. Gul Dukat's defining character trait was his absolute narcissism: he was always right, he always deserved the greatest and loftiest positions, every woman he favored had to love him, his daughter had to agree with him, the people he lorded over should have loved him, etc. Gaius, on the contrary, is self-sacrificial to a fault: he throws away a military career to try and bring his brand of "order" to Eorzea when everyone else is too busy squabbling for power, then throws away his old life almost entirely to start a one-man crusade against the Ascians. It's telling that his first reaction to hearing the Emperor in peril is to bolt straight to protect him, even when doing so could cost him dearly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

halfway shb spoilers

did they every explain what emet meant when he was telling the wod about them not being able to remember the ascians at their peak?

Yes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Same. My catlady is the warrior of light, and while I briefly thought about using my fantasia to be a Viera, it just seemed like it'd feel all wrong. I think I've rewatched a cutscene or two on youtube, and seeing another character in cutscenes feels so strange.

I remember kinda having this feeling with GTA:SA when I saw how other people customized their CJ.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

when was it? i finished shb and must have missed that part

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

when was it? i finished shb and must have missed that part

Oh sorry. Wasn't sure if you were at the end yet.

The WoL was there, and lived in the peak of Ascian civilization. He's just pointing out that you literally do not remember, due to the sundering and your fragmented soul. The WoL is presumably not the only one, but possibly the only one becoming stronger with the rejoinings.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm honestly wondering if WHM getting light themed upgrades is quietly paving the way for Geomancer, a job that would get much more mileage out of earth and wind related stuff.

The is thing is they've already kinda linked Geomancer to bring akin to Astrologian so it'd be interesting on how they handle that.

Regardless, I'm glad WHM is starting to focus more on holy-themed spells. It always felt weird that our dps consisted of throwing rocks at things.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Weird question but at the end of the MSQ Does Emet refer to the Ascian who's soul became you as "she" if you're playing a man? I'm just curious if they change the gender based on your character or if its set in stone?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

halfway shb spoilers

Remember the conversation with Hythlodaeus in Amaurot? Remember how Emet briefly saw you as an Amaurotine before the final fight? Remember how the Ascian Convocation was Fourteen members in the time of Amaurot, but one member dissented and resigned over the Zodiark plan?

Hint loving hint.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Infidel Castro posted:

The is thing is they've already kinda linked Geomancer to bring akin to Astrologian so it'd be interesting on how they handle that.

Regardless, I'm glad WHM is starting to focus more on holy-themed spells. It always felt weird that our dps consisted of throwing rocks at things.

I wish they never brought Geomancers into the Astrologian quest line because this gets mixed up all the time.

Geomancers are literally Conjurers, even as confirmed by the lore book. The speak to the spirits and manipulate the elements. Some Sharlayan Astrologians see a kinship in it, but they're separate practices, and it's never even well explained why they think this. The level 80 AST quest involves Leveva trying to do Geomancer as one would do Astrology, but looking down instead, and it doesn't work.

They can mechanically still make Geomancer whatever new job they want, and just throw element stuff into it.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

It's not too late for the end-of-MSQ bandwagon, is it?

I wonder where we will get dyable AF this time

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Vermain posted:

Nah. Gul Dukat's defining character trait was his absolute narcissism: he was always right, he always deserved the greatest and loftiest positions, every woman he favored had to love him, his daughter had to agree with him, the people he lorded over should have loved him, etc. Gaius, on the contrary, is self-sacrificial to a fault: he throws away a military career to try and bring his brand of "order" to Eorzea when everyone else is too busy squabbling for power, then throws away his old life almost entirely to start a one-man crusade against the Ascians. It's telling that his first reaction to hearing the Emperor in peril is to bolt straight to protect him, even when doing so could cost him dearly.

Gaius is right :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

Vermain posted:

This is totally fair and a good point. I was moreso referring to their very shared trait of conquest being about more than victory in battle. Like whatever Dukat's line was along the lines of "It's not about defeating your enemy, it's about making them see that they were wrong to oppose you in the first place." The way Gaius talks about Black Rose specifically felt extremely Dukat to me.

Although, I could argue that Dukat also kinda threw a military career away and started a one-man crusade. Granted, that ended up with him completely selling out his people so he could take over as supreme ruler, but yeah. Gaius isn't quite in it for the personal glory in that sense. At least up until this point, dude extremely comes across as a true believer.