Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Jimlit posted:

build a shop on your home territory, health potions are dirt cheap just buy them by the hundred and auto heal.

I guess was being impatient, but I've got it mostly figured out now. Is there a particular kingdom I should join?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I've been playing AFK arena for a bit, not sure how long, maybe 2 months. I've always been against spending any money on IAP, if a game has a wall and you gotta spend money I just stop playing. Having said that, I've spent over 20 dollars google money in this game (I got both "monthly subs" for daily diamonds, they dont auto renew). Its the only game I've ever spent more than a couple bucks on, but hey I wasn't using it for anything else.

Some tips I've picked up along the way:

-only spend diamonds on 10 pulls. anything else is a waste (imo)
-Shemira is really OP and can carry you through most of the early game. She is available in the labyrinth store
-eventually (after certain levels, don't remember which ones but the top of the guild store says get to level x-x to see new stuff) the guild store will start selling legendary gear, and then later, mythic gear, if you don't need whatever its selling now to progress then save your guild coins.
-if you can afford it, buy the purple dust every day in the normal store. dust is the biggest barrier later on to leveling up your top 5 and you'll be glad to have it. despite this you'll still hit that gate as you go
-the subreddit is very active and has a lot of good info scattered in among all the memes or whatever https://www.reddit.com/r/afkarena
-try not to use ascended level characters (the ones that only come purple) as fodder to ascend someone else. they're rare and you may regret it. Despite that I have sacrificed one I had no intention of ever using (Raine, the gun lady).

I tried a few other games supposedly like this one to see if I could find a side game but they're all so drat ugly or overwhelming right off the bat. This game would be amazing without all the cash grabbing walls but I guess thats mobile gaming.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

oh dope posted:

I guess was being impatient, but I've got it mostly figured out now. Is there a particular kingdom I should join?

i dont think it matters much. some of them seem to expect discord activity and hella grinding tho.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone figure out if there's a goon clan for AFK Arena? The game's an alright way to waste some time when I have a couple minutes but have also stayed up too late the last few nights poking around my lineup.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

explosivo posted:

Anyone figure out if there's a goon clan for AFK Arena? The game's an alright way to waste some time when I have a couple minutes but have also stayed up too late the last few nights poking around my lineup.

Theres a small one called greater goon im in, about 7 of us.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Buriedbornes: I unlocked the amorphous job which is completely terrible except I had my dissolve skill (a 4 attack first strike ability) upgraded to demonic dissolve on the first floor, so every fight starts with me doing 666 x 4 damage, except the times it for some reason does 766 x 4 damage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

fyallm posted:

Is this game a poo poo show or is it decent o haven't decided yet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

tater_salad posted:

Hasn't made me bored yet, but i just hit player level 30, which according ti the reddit is when you finally meed to pay attention to your placement and which heroes to use.

It seems kinda in depth for an afk game. I think i like it better than tap titans

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fyallm posted:

Cool, thanks! Is there seriously no way to do guild chat in this game or am I missing something?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

explosivo posted:

Cool, thanks! Is there seriously no way to do guild chat in this game or am I missing something?

There is. You have click on Chat then click on the three bars in the upper left and you should see Great Goon. We haven't really utilized it much yet. There is the afkarena reddit discord link here: https://discordapp.com/invite/KpNNvAp

EDIT: Anyone here play Board Kings? I need some more friends to travel to their board. My code is: 528-936-172

fyallm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 8, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ca is com released a card game called Teppen. It is similar to how Gwent works and if you get in right now they give you about 40 free packs. I'm enjoying it so far.

It is not really like Gwent at all. The goal of Gwent is to build up a score higher than the opponent's score, while in Teppen (similar to M:TG and Hearthstone) the goal is to wear the opponent's life total down to zero. Gwent is turn-based, Teppen is real-time. Teppen has attack lanes, while Gwent does not have a typical TCG minion attack system whatsoever.

It is definitely pretty fun though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

baby delivery truck posted:

Buriedbornes: I unlocked the amorphous job which is completely terrible except I had my dissolve skill (a 4 attack first strike ability) upgraded to demonic dissolve on the first floor, so every fight starts with me doing 666 x 4 damage, except the times it for some reason does 766 x 4 damage.

At 2k leafs (the weekly event currency) you can unlock the kunoichi who is quite frankly nutso. I topped out on floor 90 something in the Tiger dungeon my 2nd run with her.

Built in Ninjitsu so you can use 5 skills on the first turn. Innate power gain on level, and her passive gives -2 (plus one for your turn being over) cooldown when all your skills are on CD.

So you fill your bar with a couple 3CD multihit skills and attack 10 times before they get to act.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

tater_salad posted:

I've seen worse. And I'm honestly not sure if the game is natively in English or a translation, so that's cool.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fyallm posted:

Can you share the guild id? I can't seem to find it using search.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It is not really like Gwent at all. The goal of Gwent is to build up a score higher than the opponent's score, while in Teppen (similar to M:TG and Hearthstone) the goal is to wear the opponent's life total down to zero. Gwent is turn-based, Teppen is real-time. Teppen has attack lanes, while Gwent does not have a typical TCG minion attack system whatsoever.

It is definitely pretty fun though.

They changed gwent?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Why the gently caress is Gwent not on phones.

E: When they announced the standalone version I was so loving hyped, and then absolutely baffled when the brought it out on Steam / consoles instead of mobile. They could be printing themselves money right now if they'd just convert it.

There are very few games I would unquestioningly pay for on mobile, but standalone Gwent is one.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 8, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

They changed gwent?

Were you talking about the standalone game, or the mini game from The Witcher? The standalone game is not really like Teppen.

Also, the Gwent people have said that they want to release it on mobile this year.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Were you talking about the standalone game, or the mini game from The Witcher? The standalone game is not really like Teppen.

Also, the Gwent people have said that they want to release it on mobile this year.

There is a stand alone game? :aaa:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a stand alone game? :aaa:

It's different than the in-game one, they modernized it a bit.. but as a fan of the in-game one, I didn't like it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

New Leaf posted:

It's different than the in-game one, they modernized it a bit.. but as a fan of the in-game one, I didn't like it.
What did they change? I was crazy about in-game gwent but haven't tried the standalone.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What did they change? I was crazy about in-game gwent but haven't tried the standalone.

I didn't play it long enough to really remember all the differences after realizing it wasn't what I was looking for, but here's an article I found about the differences from a couple years ago, so while some info might be dated, I'm sure the key points will be the same: https://kotaku.com/standalone-gwent-makes-some-big-changes-to-the-witcher-1788452502

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

New Leaf posted:

I didn't play it long enough to really remember all the differences after realizing it wasn't what I was looking for, but here's an article I found about the differences from a couple years ago, so while some info might be dated, I'm sure the key points will be the same: https://kotaku.com/standalone-gwent-makes-some-big-changes-to-the-witcher-1788452502
Hmm, sounds pretty similar, with the two biggest differences being draining the opponent and the apparent lack of spies (which just led to some ridiculous and inevitable feinting in round 1).

To be honest I just want a good idle card game vs AI where I can actually make progress with the decks without having to get into PvP.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The standalone game is a free-to-play, online game where you play against other people. Over its development, some big and small overhauls have happened, but I haven't played Witcher 3 so I don't know how foreign the game would feel to someone who jumps in to the online game now. It looks like the general structure is the same though, of "get more points than your opponent, two out of three rounds wins the match". There is a thread for it but it isn't super active:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821481

P.S. Also, I finally figured out what I think is a good analogy of Teppen. It's a bit like Clash Royale and Magic the Gathering had a baby. Your minions slug it out trying to break through and hit the opponent, but your minions come from a bigger deck (30 cards) which also includes spells. Spells work similar to "instant" spells in Magic, where your opponent can respond to your spell before it resolves.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The major difference between Witcher gwent and stand alone gwent is that in the stand alone, there are only 2 rows per side and you can put any unit on any row you want (no melee/ranged/siege placement restrictions.) Certain cards can then have melee and/or ranged attacks, front row being melee attacks.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
There's also thronebreaker, which is a single player 40+ hour RPG using the modern gwent mechanics

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Gwent, as a standalone card game, with Witcher 3 rules, loving sucks. It's a game of who has the best cards and the most spies. There's no strategy involved - it's why you can face someone at the beginning of the game and get annihilated by them no matter what they do - pulling out a great strategy from nowhere is going to do nothing when the opponent throws down cards with 10+ value on every turn - can't affect them, can't defeat them. That, and if you just have a dozen spies, then again, doesn't matter what is done, because if your opponent does have a dozen and one, or that many dummies (except they also don't work against the unique spy), then again, strategy is useless.

I got every Gwent card in the game and beat every single opponent in both tournaments, first try, with spies and OP cards, including when you're forced to use to the Skellige deck (because you can still use neutral spies). And it was bad.

Gwent sucks as a standalone game, it's a good thing they changed the rules.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I got the real world gwent decks, and the only way it's playable is if you choose which deck (northern, nilfgaard etc) and then deal out 30 random cards from it. If you treat it like a deck builder it's a complete shitshow.

Honestly I liked Gwent ingame because you could overpower the AI that much. There's something very therapeutic about some good old fashioned compstomping.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 8, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I got the real world gwent decks, and the only way it's playable is if you choose which deck (northern, nilfgaard etc) and then deal out 30 random cards from it. If you treat it like a deck builder it's a complete shitshow.

Honestly I liked Gwent ingame because you could overpower the AI that much. There's something very therapeutic about some good old fashioned compstomping.

That's kinda the way I felt about it. I guess I was hoping for "Witcher 3 Gwent+", not "Gwent Completely Reworked From The Ground Up To Compete With Hearthstone", so I went in disappointed.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've been enjoying Candies 'n Curses. Came out a while ago but it's a portrait-mode one-screen platformer where you're blowing up ghosts with your flashlight as you try to escape a haunted house. It's roguelike in nature where you get a upgrade after every level and you start over each time you die. There's weapons + charms (equippable upgrades) you can unlock and it's been generally pretty fun!

IAP are the standard "no ads, soul doubler" etc. purchases that are a bit on the pricey side. It's a game with a good amount of depth and really nice spritework! I had some trouble getting into it until I unlocked the blade flashlight which instantly feels a thousand times better to use than the other two weapon types.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

The major difference between Witcher gwent and stand alone gwent is that in the stand alone, there are only 2 rows per side and you can put any unit on any row you want (no melee/ranged/siege placement restrictions.) Certain cards can then have melee and/or ranged attacks, front row being melee attacks.

I didn't realize it had been changed again. When I played during the beta, it still had three rows and a lot of minions were restricted to being played in a certain row. I think the game had been reworked a couple times prior to when I played, as well.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Just installed Teppen-- not bad. A bit frantic, though. Wish the card interface was a little cleaner so I could see what things do in the heat of the game better.

AFK arena friend code is a few posts up if you're playing.

Lords of Waterdeep-- I enjoy the visuals I guess but drat the number of suggested transactions (and how much they let you advance) suuucks.

I've been playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes for a long time and we have two goon guilds and a dedicated thread for it if you didn't already know.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
This QR code will unlock a Rathalos in Teppen.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Gwent has the same problem any game with no resources beyond cards have: It's incredibly hard to balance without more granular resources like mana.

It's why it kinda feel bad. There's no absolute power plays or game winning combos that take patience and nerve to build. Only grinding synergy.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

My phone wouldn't pick this up. Cleaner version:
https://imgur.com/a/LhEjqbo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Applied for afk I'll keep grinding it's at the point where I play for like 10 min then just idle to get goods to level up dudes.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I'm surprised so many people are "playing" AFK Arena considering there is no game to be played. Playing the game basically involves opening a chest twice a day and occasionally autoing until you lose and then collecting chests for a while longer. The game is super pay to win and at a certain point your progression, even via your twice-daily chests, will falter. There will be no amount of chests that will let you progress because you need a ton of dupes to continue leveling your characters and the VIP system gives insane bonuses. To be fair, though, all of that would only matter if there was a game to be played. But there is not, so that makes paying to win all the sillier.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm surprised so many people are "playing" AFK Arena considering there is no game to be played. Playing the game basically involves opening a chest twice a day and occasionally autoing until you lose and then collecting chests for a while longer. The game is super pay to win and at a certain point your progression, even via your twice-daily chests, will falter. There will be no amount of chests that will let you progress because you need a ton of dupes to continue leveling your characters and the VIP system gives insane bonuses. To be fair, though, all of that would only matter if there was a game to be played. But there is not, so that makes paying to win all the sillier.

Did you play far enough to get to the story maps and tower and stuff? I enjoyed the trial and error puzzle aspects of the hex grid story maps, and late game you do really have to think about team synergy. I stopped a while ago, but there's more there than it looks like on the surface.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Did you play far enough to get to the story maps and tower and stuff? I enjoyed the trial and error puzzle aspects of the hex grid story maps, and late game you do really have to think about team synergy. I stopped a while ago, but there's more there than it looks like on the surface.

I would argue it has more depth than some early gachas like Brave Exvius. I stopped playing because you make great progress, then hit a massive progress wall and then it's all about min/maxing or spending cash.

Was frustrating for me at least.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

New Leaf posted:

Yes. I got my whole team to ~120 where I started hitting hard caps on my ability to uncap my characters through fusion since I wasnt willing to buy gacha pulls. I actually feel like the opposite is true. Early on there looks like there is a lot to do, but as you get further into the game you find that there really isn't all the much and that you are mostly just opening the chests after your progression stalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Buriedborne's name aside it's actually really good, the art is nice for what it is too