Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

bradzilla posted:

Detroit: Become Human is.... good

Its message is heavy handed, but the voice acting, graphics, and general look are solid. The best game David Cage has made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Detroit is kind of dumb but it's undeniably entertaining and blows most of other cinematic games out of the water with player choice actually mattering.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I liked beyond two souls too, it's like an eleven from stranger things sim

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I've seen people play Detroit : Become Human and I'm not sure it qualifies as a game. I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying at what point is something not a game. Interactive digital story! Yeah that label is totally going to catch on. You can put Cultist Simulator and maybe Sunless Skies/Sea in the same category. I have spoken so it shall be!

no these are all just video games, you play them like video games and you buy them at the video game store. the gameplay is selecting dialogue choices.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Detroit was loving good imo

I played it at a friends house who played it full pacifist, I went in the opposite direction. the scene where the two robot characters kiss and you have the public perception shift in the pacifist run turned into a 5 minute long quicktime event where you just absolutely gently caress up a bunch of cops

afterwards, because I figured I'd never play it again, I looked up all the story branches and man literally every time I was like "no way they'd let this happen" no, they absolutely would the scene with the girl crossing the highway, she can literally just get obliterated by a car if you fuckup that quicktime event and the game keeps going lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

no these are all just video games, you play them like video games and you buy them at the video game store. the gameplay is selecting dialogue choices.

You can also buy Funco Pops at video game store that doesn't make them video games. It doesn't really matter except when someone dumb like me goes in expecting you know a video game and it's all story shoved into a video game. Wait nevermind that does matter since it involves me. gently caress you Sunless games you could have been like a better Escape Velocity but nooooo.

That's not gameplay so much as just a modern choose your own adventure book. It's okay you can come to me with all your is this gameplay questions I'll get you and anyone else sorted out.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 9, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

books cannot contain games
nobody tell him about d&d

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

nobody tell him about d&d

No one is saying books cannot contain games and if you wanted an example you probably should have gone with a book that literally contains a game and not just the instructions for a game. Something like a book of Sudoku's or maybe Crosswords. Better yet one of those ones with the special markers that I use to get, it had hangman and other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Ink-Tic-Tac-Toe-Hangman-Activity/dp/B0117XD4KG

I don't think these are the same as the ones I remember but looks like the same idea.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 9, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mario and Luigi aren't really brothers.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

You can also buy Funco Pops at video game store that doesn't make them video games.

well gawrsh i've been caught in your trap of faultless logic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Are they monks?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Waltzing Along posted:

This is correct. It is called "super mario bros" after all, which means the 2nd brother is also called Mario. Luigi is just some guy

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

well gawrsh i've been caught in your trap of faultless logic

You pretty much defined video games as "things people call video games". So I could call anything a video game as long as it's on the computer? You know there's already a term for those wares: software.

You win though keep calling anything a game and we'll keep getting "games" that don't give a poo poo about being fun as long as they get to tell their story. Which would be fine if it's what I expected. Generally though I expect games to at least in theory be focused on being games first, story/atmosphere whatever as part of that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 9, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duck and Cover posted:

You pretty much defined video games as "things people call video games". So I could call anything a video game as long as it's on the computer? You know there's already a term for those wares: software.

You win though keep calling anything a game and we'll keep getting "games" that don't give a poo poo about being fun as long as they get to tell their story. Which would be fine if it's what I expected. Generally though I expect games to at least in theory be focused on being games first, story/atmosphere whatever as part of that.

Just shut up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Collapsing Farts posted:

This is correct. It is called "super mario bros" after all, which means the 2nd brother is also called Mario. Luigi is just some guy

They're Mario Mario and Luigi Mario.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
No they're not you swine. I went directly to Shigeru Miyamoto and asked just now and he is rewriting the canon for the expanded Mario universe

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

i'm making a 3d man walk around a room, i'm playing a video game, Detroit is obviously a video game, if I'm playing Detroit then I'm sitting there with a controller.

the act of picking dialogue options is gameplay, that is the game of it. the video part of it is the video screen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

mario and luigi are eskimo brothers at the very least

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Are they monks?

The original Mario and Luigi from the NES game were brothers, but in the later games Mario has become power-hungry and deranged and changes his name to Wario. The later games are called the New Super Mario Brothers because Baby Mario has taken on the mantle of his father, forming what is effectively a new Mario Brothers team, but technically they're uncle/nephew

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Video games, in general, should be self aware enough to know they are games.

Saints Row The Third and even SR4 are good examples of this.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What's the best opposite example of that - a totally unaware game?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What's the best opposite example of that - a totally unaware game?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

completely unaware, but also the most video game of all time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duck and Cover posted:

Oh god shut up

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The ending to mass effect 3 was no better or worse than the rest of the series

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fridge corn posted:

It was sort of weak but the reaction was hilarious

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Or games in general imo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mass Effect is a tedious slog in 2019. I own it on steam and tried to play it a few times but I've never gotten more than a couple hours in.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Saints Row 4 is the best game in the series and a joy to play one time and they get less and less so the further back in the franchise you go

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just want this to be a tactile feedback type game in the style of Surgeon Simulator, where you awkwardly have to move your hand into a salute using a series of keypresses and the corpse clips into the coffin somehow and makes a bunch of weird collision noises

e: the underside of the lid has an easter egg featuring a greyscale picture of one of the developers' wives and a marriage proposal

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

Its message is heavy handed, but the voice acting, graphics, and general look are solid. The best game David Cage has made so far.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. The Connor defective stuff is really good. Markus coming back from the dead level is really good too.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

internet celebrity posted:

Mass Effect is a tedious slog in 2019. I own it on steam and tried to play it a few times but I've never gotten more than a couple hours in.

it has always sucked

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. The Connor defective stuff is really good. Markus coming back from the dead level is really good too.

I'm glad to hear its good, I played the demo and thought it was very cool, talking the dude off the ledge, but the internet sperged all over it with their "lol david cage" and guys like that dude up there writing screeds about how its not really a game, I never actually got any real impressions of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It's 1/3rd a really fun game 1/3rd an uneven game and 1/3rd a try again game as far as the three narratives go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Filtering through the nerd rage, the main actual complaint I remember hearing about Detroit was that the storyline was, overall, a pretty generic "are robots really alive" plot that didn't really break any new ground on the subject. I heard unfavorable comparisons to the Will Smith I, Robot movie.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
the opening scene from Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit where you have to decide between risking getting caught hiding a body or just bolting out of the bathroom covered in blood is the best thing that David Cage has done and the best he will ever do

olives black fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 9, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detroit has some Cage-esque weaknesses but nothing as bad as he normally delivers and as mentioned since there are three stories of varying quality each one can have independent(ish) outcomes so there can be some real impact in outcomes. It still has some of his weird tics like completely unexplained narrative contrivances, asking you to ignore some moral quandries he creates, and wanting to get cute with withholding information from players that would be apparent to the characters but they're, you know, mitigated. Why he's had so many chances, especially after Beyond: Two Souls, is a mystery but at least he and his team seem to be learning.

olives black posted:

the opening scene from Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit where you have to decide between risking getting caught hiding a body or just bolting out of the bathroom covered in blood is the best thing that David Cage has done or will ever do

David Cage wrote some kicking tunes on the otherwise abominable movie tie game for Time Cop so I disagree, but its definitely #2.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

olives black posted:

the opening scene from Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit where you have to decide between risking getting caught hiding a body or just bolting out of the bathroom covered in blood is the best thing that David Cage has done and the best he will ever do

But later in that same game, the internet becomes sentient and pretends to be a mystical old lady and you have a fist fight with it so I think you're wrong.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Do humble monthly sub discounts stack with sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Are people really alive?