Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

m.hache posted:

I would argue it has more depth than some early gachas like Brave Exvius. I stopped playing because you make great progress, then hit a massive progress wall and then it's all about min/maxing or spending cash.

Was frustrating for me at least.

This is quite literally the free-to-play MO. Give the player an interesting and appealing game to begin, with a solid and steady rate of progression. Then, once you have them invested in the game, slam the door and demand money if they want to keep going.

You know going in that that's what it will be like. Why even bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jabor posted:

This is quite literally the free-to-play MO. Give the player an interesting and appealing game to begin, with a solid and steady rate of progression. Then, once you have them invested in the game, slam the door and demand money if they want to keep going.

You know going in that that's what it will be like. Why even bother?

That's why I never watch movies where I know the ending.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I like idle games so that's why I enjoy afk arena. It doesn't take that long in a day to play minus the puzzle dungeon, which is exactly what I want from a game right now. It all depends what you want from a game.

I played King's Raid for a year but I got burned out because there was too much to do for what I wanted from a mobile game.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2019

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'm "playing" AFK Arena and I actually like the fact I can log in and knock out the dailies in five minutes. I'm actually one of those filthy gacha players and those games tend to demand a lot more of your time so having something lightweight on the side is refreshing.

At the end of the day what I look for in a phone game is much different than what I look for in a console or PC game. I'm not looking to sit down and have some amazing powerful storytelling experience, I just want something to do while I'm waiting in line buying groceries or watching TV.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I figure I'll drop AFK Arena in a month or two. Right now, I'm enjoying it, and I don't doubt it goes to hell after you get in too deep. I only longhaul dressup gachas.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
I've just burnt out from Idle Heroes, got bored from doing the same dailies every day and the slow progression that only happens once a once at a specific event. AFK arena seems like a similar theme, so will probably stay away from that. What's the current non AFK grinding up progression hotness. I was enjoying brawl stars for a while. Don't make me go back to Puzzle dragons.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can never find a mobile game that I actually like. All the ones that get talked about a lot mostly feel empty and pointless. But then a more robust game plays like poo poo on a phone. I don't know how mobile gaming is such a huge industry.

Clash Royale and Pokemon Go are the only ones I've played that felt like they had reasonable depth, an actual community, and appropriate gameplay for a phone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can never find a mobile game that I actually like. All the ones that get talked about a lot mostly feel empty and pointless. But then a more robust game plays like poo poo on a phone. I don't know how mobile gaming is such a huge industry.

Clash Royale and Pokemon Go are the only ones I've played that felt like they had reasonable depth, an actual community, and appropriate gameplay for a phone.

Stardew Valley, for me, hits all the right checkmarks, because I feel the same as you (though I don't enjoy Clash Royale or Pokemon Go).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stardew Valley, for me, hits all the right checkmarks, because I feel the same as you (though I don't enjoy Clash Royale or Pokemon Go).

it's OK I don't really enjoy them either

I've played a bit of Stardew on PC. I could see it working on mobile.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Battle of Polytopia?

And (Shattered) Pixel Dungeon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

shattered pixel dungeon looks fun. thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it's OK I don't really enjoy them either

I've played a bit of Stardew on PC. I could see it working on mobile.

The controls are surprisingly terrific, and there's a really stable (heh) autosave. As long as you don't mind not having mods, it's perfect.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Dr. Mario World was released a day early:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/09/dr-mario-world-nintendo-download-android/

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

It's fun.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Is there a goon guild for Pixel Starships around here anywhere?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Is there a goon guild for Pixel Starships around here anywhere?

dunno but looks kind of cool, how is it? How much idle is it?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm surprised so many people are "playing" AFK Arena considering there is no game to be played. Playing the game basically involves opening a chest twice a day and occasionally autoing until you lose and then collecting chests for a while longer. The game is super pay to win and at a certain point your progression, even via your twice-daily chests, will falter. There will be no amount of chests that will let you progress because you need a ton of dupes to continue leveling your characters and the VIP system gives insane bonuses. To be fair, though, all of that would only matter if there was a game to be played. But there is not, so that makes paying to win all the sillier.

:goonsay:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With Buriedborne do I want to go all in on a stat or two? I can get to floor 8 usually then get owned

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

shattered pixel dungeon looks fun. thanks!
Boy I suck at this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Montalvo posted:

It's fun.

Installing now but it looks like a standard match 3 in the screenshots and not Dr Mario and that makes me sad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Len posted:

Installing now but it looks like a standard match 3 in the screenshots and not Dr Mario and that makes me sad.

Plus it has gacha

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

With Buriedborne do I want to go all in on a stat or two? I can get to floor 8 usually then get owned
Generally you want to keep doing the weekly until you have loads of lab parts, then look at the effects and work out a combination that makes you pretty much invincible. Survivability has been a lot more useful than dps for me.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

teethgrinder posted:

Boy I suck at this

Fight enemies by backing away into a doorway. Make it so only one at a time can get you. Also if you back out of a door (so the door closes) and wait, when the enemy peeks out you get a guaranteed critical hit. Start with warrior only at first until you get the hang of it.

There will always be just enough enemies on floor 1 to get to level 2. There are no hidden doors.

Starting on floor 2 there will be hidden doors. These can be super obvious - like a randomly ended hallway. Search and youll reveal it.

Special rooms always have the "antidote" potion somewhere on the floor.
-Room blocked by wood is solved by a potion of fire. If you aren't sure and don't want to waste a good potion, stand next to the wood and drink the potion. If you catch on fire it will get the wood too and you can run to water to put yourself out.
-Room with piranhas is solved by an invis potion. Don't fight the fish. They will murder you.
-Room with a treasure chest floating at the end is a potion of levitation

Room that requires a key but you just cannot find a key anywhere? Most likely the floor above had a room with an opening in it with a "dry well" or something. You can jump down and loot the body below which also has the key to get out of the room!

Crystal chests - you can search the chest to see what's in each before you decide which to open (you only get one key so you have to choose). Either a ring, artifact, or wand.

Potions of strength are super important as are scrolls of upgrade. Scrolls of upgrade reduce the strength requirement of armor/weapon and increase damage/blocking. Pots of strength give you more strength so you can wear armor/weapons etc. Don't put on armor or weapons if you don't have the strength. If you have the strength but it's not identified, gently caress it - put it on. If it's cursed, you can try to upgrade it or can use a scroll of remove curse. Sometimes items are cursed but upgraded. Once the curse is removed the item retains it's good quality.

Be careful with tombstones. The ghosts they spawn can only be hit by wands or by doing the trick where you hit them by going out a door. The items dropped from tombstones are usually cursed but upgraded so worth trying to ID and remove curse.

That was alot of rambling. Game is alot of fun once you learn some of the mechanics. You die alot floors 1-5 - your chances increase significantly once you get to 6. Hope that helps.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

tater_salad posted:

dunno but looks kind of cool, how is it? How much idle is it?

You can play without paying anything, build times get long but I've been at it for several months now. I like the ship combat, there's an AI command based engine you unlock after a but that lets you control how your crewmen behave and it's fun to play with. I'm sitting at rank 3000 or so out of 5 or 6 million and just barely got my ship to level 9 out of 11. A lot of people are bad at AI programming.

I play it pretty idle putting in some time once or twice a day. Build times get long and I don't rush them.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

BitBasher posted:

You can play without paying anything, build times get long but I've been at it for several months now. I like the ship combat, there's an AI command based engine you unlock after a but that lets you control how your crewmen behave and it's fun to play with. I'm sitting at rank 3000 or so out of 5 or 6 million and just barely got my ship to level 9 out of 11. A lot of people are bad at AI programming.

I play it pretty idle putting in some time once or twice a day. Build times get long and I don't rush them.

Looking into this now. How involved are the programming bits and other gameplay? Or is it more idler?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zet posted:

Looking into this now. How involved are the programming bits and other gameplay? Or is it more idler?

looks like nimblebit FTL lite with nimblebux and timers and poo poo. can't really idle it you need to play to actively gain but there are timers just like all nimblegames where you build a room / floor / whatever and it takes hours n hours i'm sure as you get into bigger stuffins

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tater_salad posted:

looks like nimblebit FTL lite with nimblebux and timers and poo poo. can't really idle it you need to play to actively gain but there are timers just like all nimblegames where you build a room / floor / whatever and it takes hours n hours i'm sure as you get into bigger stuffins

I quit once the build timers started to be measured in days. The great bit about it is it you upgrade a laser or something, you cant use it in battle, so upgrades are a temporary nerf.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Generally you want to keep doing the weekly until you have loads of lab parts, then look at the effects and work out a combination that makes you pretty much invincible. Survivability has been a lot more useful than dps for me.

I was wondering about that too - how do I get more than one dude in jail? Or do I just combine in "detention" forever?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

CompeAnansi posted:

Yes. I got my whole team to ~120 where I started hitting hard caps on my ability to uncap my characters through fusion since I wasnt willing to buy gacha pulls. I actually feel like the opposite is true. Early on there looks like there is a lot to do, but as you get further into the game you find that there really isn't all the much and that you are mostly just opening the chests after your progression stalls.

Yeah, im starting to get to that point myself as it goes.

I've spent a few google reward $$ on it but im not going to drop actual money on it.

Maybe i'll just actually spend real cash and get stardew.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I was wondering about that too - how do I get more than one dude in jail? Or do I just combine in "detention" forever?

You can only have one guy in jail at a time. You generally use that to grab cool abilities from other monsters you have captured. There was a list posted in this thread last time we were discussing thing about what abilities to grab.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Clocks posted:

I'm "playing" AFK Arena and I actually like the fact I can log in and knock out the dailies in five minutes. I'm actually one of those filthy gacha players and those games tend to demand a lot more of your time so having something lightweight on the side is refreshing.

At the end of the day what I look for in a phone game is much different than what I look for in a console or PC game. I'm not looking to sit down and have some amazing powerful storytelling experience, I just want something to do while I'm waiting in line buying groceries or watching TV.

This is exactly why I like it too.

I've applied to the guild as Primax.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

Hope that helps.
Thank you, that was awesome.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Dr. Mario World is bad, folks. Very mediocre match three that doesn't feel like Dr Mario. Has energy per play, gacha characters for abilities where some are clearly better than others, power-ups that you'll at times need to three star levels, and some of the levels just seem like you need to brute force with capsules because there's not much in the way of patterns.

I mean maybe it's the best match three bubble crush saga ever, but it just feels to me like a four year old game from a genre I never liked anyway.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Zet posted:

Programming bits aren't things you need to change often once you get them working the way you want. It's a bunch of sequential commands like "If room x is damaged then go to room x and repair it" but a little more involved.

tater_salad posted:

Basically this. Doesn't bother me though. It's not somehthing I play for hours each day. Took me a few months to get to ship level 9 of 11, and rooms build or upgrade in like 5 days to a week now.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I quit once the build timers started to be measured in days. The great bit about it is it you upgrade a laser or something, you cant use it in battle, so upgrades are a temporary nerf.

True. I'm just patient.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Teppen is really, really fun. Doesn't seem as spendy as Hearthstone (yet), and the active mechanics are a blast. This deck is hilarious and is pretty much free once you've run through the story quests:

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
The real grind in AFK arena starts at 180 when it takes 25k dust to increase a heroes level cap.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

overseer07 posted:

Teppen is really, really fun. Doesn't seem as spendy as Hearthstone (yet), and the active mechanics are a blast. This deck is hilarious and is pretty much free once you've run through the story quests:

It's got some issues but it is fun certainly. Though you probably don't want to use Morrigan's arts when you're on the bus or something.

I presume at some point they're going to nerf spike launch as well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apped to the AFK Arena guild as Kyrosiris.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kyrosiris posted:

Apped to the AFK Arena guild as Kyrosiris.

I got you, friendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Teppen is super good i was #3 ranked at one time but i haven't been grinding cuz i'm sick of playing nerg and playing vs. nerg. it's all Nergigante up here