Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i must've missed the trailers for it comes at night. i watched it after it got a home release and loved it.

It Comes at Night is a lot like Hereditary in which the title and marketing were deliberately misleading into order to really gently caress with you when the actual plot happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Never Watch Trailers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd love to see the movie that the hereditary trailer was setting up but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the actual movie.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t think I ever saw a trailer for Hereditary. Just a review from Sundance calling it terrifying and then reviews before the wide release saying the same thing. Turned out they were right!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Someone in this thread mentioned Tusk. I watched that on recommendation from a couple of friends and now I don't take recommendations from them anymore. Utter shite.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I can totally see the comparisons between this film and Tusk, as long you're referring to Tusk the Fleetwood Mac song and not Tusk the Kevin Smith dog turd.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Do I even wanna take the time to read back and find out why we are talking about tusk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Budgie Jumping posted:

I can totally see the comparisons between this film and Tusk, as long you're referring to Tusk the Fleetwood Mac song and not Tusk the Kevin Smith dog turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzZCoe38_hM

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I have a male friend who had a spouse who was emotionally abusive and screwed up his life for a decade after their divorce. He came away with the impression that Christian was less abusive and more of a protagonist than I did. I'm starting to think that some of the characterization and Aster's building of their relationship might be deliberately vague, so that we can project our own experiences on the relationship.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do I even wanna take the time to read back and find out why we are talking about tusk

I would watch an alternate cut of this set to only songs from Tusk. The title track would coincide with the ending obviously, with the marching band kicking in once the fire starts really going

Edit: https://shop.a24films.com/collections/featured/products/bear-in-a-cage

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 9, 2019

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

when saw came out the couple in front of me walked out right before the reveal.

At my local preview screening for The Ring, people started packing up and filing out after the scene in the well. You could practically feel the internal struggle of everyone who had seen the original as they all tried to figure out if they should say something. There was a lot of throat clearing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was mentioned in passing and it seems someone thought it was good for some reason. I don't quite get it myself either.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

bort posted:

I have a male friend who had a spouse who was emotionally abusive and screwed up his life for a decade after their divorce. He came away with the impression that Christian was less abusive and more of a protagonist than I did. I'm starting to think that some of the characterization and Aster's building of their relationship might be deliberately vague, so that we can project our own experiences on the relationship.

Hard agree

I was surprised at the people itt who took Christian to be malevolent instead of just lost and indecisive

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah he's a coward for not breaking it off when the relationship was so strained but he was sorta "trapped" by something out of his control to stay in. can't really dump your girlfriend after her sister wiped out her family in a murder-suicide.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bort posted:

Imo he comes off as somewhat of a selfish jerk, mostly because the film is through the lens of Dani, but his actions don’t always line up with that. Really overall it just seemed like they were stuck in a lovely situation together and it wasn’t a healthy relationship anymore. I really don’t buy the level of villainy or him deserving anything that happened to him. I think calling him abusive is an overstatement.

Really the worst thing he did was done under extreme duress and drugging. Doesn’t really feel fair to blame him for that.

I think the biggest thing is that he is just kind of unlikeable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

By the time he steals Josh’s thesis idea and then completely throws him under the bus when he goes missing, it seems hard to deny that Christian is not just a dude handling a breakup poorly, but more likely a guy who is selfish and uncaring in all of his personal relationships.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Sure, that's the majority opinion and close to what I feel, too. But I could see if you'd been trapped in a relationship with an emotionally abusive woman, that you might forgive Christian's faults a little more easily. In regard to Dani, at least; it's definitely the case that he's a dick in regard to Josh.

I remember feeling very sympathetic in the scene on the couch. Losing your enthusiasm for a relationship and then having a partner have heavy emotional baggage would be wearying.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

They both exhibited varying levels of selfishness throughout the story. Dani was just in a much more fragile state so our sympathies leaned in her favor.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Christian is weak spirited and gets what he wants by manipulating people. It's how he handled inviting Dani by telling his friends she's not really coming, or the first time they're offered mushrooms and he resigns from taking them as if he didn't know exactly what would happen. It's how he forces himself into working on the paper. He forgets his girlfriend of 4 years birthday (did anyone else notice they dated 4 years and 2 weeks? Which means when Christian goes to that party and Dani can't sleep, that may well be their first date anniversary) and then he cheats on her like a day later.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

He planned a trip to Sweden without telling her, only confessed it when he got caught out in the lie two weeks before leaving, and then completely forgot her birthday like six months after her whole family died. Almost cartoonishly lovely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so, uh

everyone seems to be kind of taking Christian's participation in the orgy as consensual when... I really didn't 100% get that vibe? like, dude's whacked out of his mind on drugs and being literally physically forced to gently caress

the interpretation of him having cheated on Dani has pretty strong "lmao men can't be raped" vibes and that's awful

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, uh

everyone seems to be kind of taking Christian's participation in the orgy as consensual when... I really didn't 100% get that vibe? like, dude's whacked out of his mind on drugs and being literally physically forced to gently caress

the interpretation of him having cheated on Dani has pretty strong "lmao men can't be raped" vibes and that's awful

I chalk this up to it fitting so neatly into his established pattern of behavior that it’s reasonable to assume he would’ve done it drugs or no drugs (hence the ironic gag early on about him impregnating Swedish girls)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
For the record I don't think him cheating warrants being stuffed in a bear and burned alive

Not quite at least

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

For the record I don't think him cheating warrants being stuffed in a bear and burned alive

Not quite at least

That being said, if he’s not responsible for his actions due to the drugs, neither is she

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so, uh

He had a conversation with the elder about him being approved to mate with that girl. Then he’s offered the drink and knows exactly what’s going to happen if he drinks it. Then he chooses to drink it. That’s him consenting to cheating right there. He was sober for all of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RCarr posted:

He had a conversation with the elder about him being approved to mate with that girl. Then he’s offered the drink and knows exactly what’s going to happen if he drinks it. Then he chooses to drink it. That’s him consenting to cheating right there. He was sober for all of that.

What? No.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That being said, if he’s not responsible for his actions due to the drugs, neither is she

Agreed. I don’t think either of them bear any responsibility for anything that happened by the time the May queen dance starts and probably well before that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What do you mean no? All of those things happened. You could say he didn’t know it would be a weird sex ritual in the presence of a bunch of people but he absolutely knew he was going to have sex with that girl.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you see the conversation with the elder as Christian expressing interest in hooking up with her? Did you feel he wasn’t under pressure to drink the kool aid? Did you think he was in his right mind in that entire scenario? Was it even something he could have escaped? If so we have very different takes on it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Did you see the conversation with the elder as Christian expressing interest in hooking up with her? Did you feel he wasn’t under pressure to drink the kool aid? Did you think he was in his right mind in that entire scenario? Was it even something he could have escaped? If so we have very different takes on it.

Strong yes to the first one but the rest are a little more grey area. “Could he have escaped” seems somewhat irrelevant though considering none of them were ever gonna escape anyway

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 9, 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It’s just like Oleanna!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Does anyone else find it worth noting that Christian went along with everything riiiiight up until he realized the girl he fucks is trying to conceive

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol good point. I didn’t even think about that.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

It does seem like he resigns himself to his fate when he drinks the drug he is given. "Maybe we need to keep an open mind."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

didn't he try to reject the drink?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Initially. They even told him it was drugged in less words. No one held him down and forced it down his throat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

smallmouth posted:

Initially. They even told him it was drugged in less words. No one held him down and forced it down his throat.

No but if he's paying any attention at all to what's been going on around him his thought process could easily be "might as well do what they say if I don't want to be disappeared"

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Possibly, yeah. And/or he was fed up with Dani having all the fun with her new friends. Either way his motivations were pretty thin.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

didn't he try to reject the drink?

In like the most half hearted way possible

“I think I’ll pass, I don’t wanna have a bad trip”
“You won’t”
“Oh okay then”

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He planned a trip to Sweden without telling her, only confessed it when he got caught out in the lie two weeks before leaving, and then completely forgot her birthday like six months after her whole family died. Almost cartoonishly lovely.

Yup. I had sympathy for him at the beginning...he's not an rear end in a top hat for being incompatible with Dani, and the insane trauma she experiences traps both of them in this terrible relationship. But my sympathy erodes pretty fast when it becomes clear how little respect he has for her needs or her intelligence. He stays in this garbage relationship for months just to maintain appearances, and when she rightly calls out how not engaged or straightforward he is with her, he denies it and essentially gaslights her.

She's very clearly not a priority for him, made way worse by the fact he can't be honest about it. "I can't give you what you need, and I don't want to pretend anymore" is at least respectable even if it's painful.

Though, yeah, he doesn't "deserve" to be burned alive in a bear suit. I viewed Dani's choice at the end as a mirror for her sister's choice at the beginning. They're both acts of horrifying ritualized violence designed to purge pain and despair from their lives. They're both insane, cruel, selfish choices that are not "justified" or defensible in any way. But that's not the point...both characters would do whatever they needed to to alleviate their suffering, and they act accordingly.

Also, did I miss this from the last few pages, or is it news?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNz9nkQYag4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xealot posted:

Yup. I had sympathy for him at the beginning...he's not an rear end in a top hat for being incompatible with Dani, and the insane trauma she experiences traps both of them in this terrible relationship. But my sympathy erodes pretty fast when it becomes clear how little respect he has for her needs or her intelligence. He stays in this garbage relationship for months just to maintain appearances, and when she rightly calls out how not engaged or straightforward he is with her, he denies it and essentially gaslights her.

She's very clearly not a priority for him, made way worse by the fact he can't be honest about it. "I can't give you what you need, and I don't want to pretend anymore" is at least respectable even if it's painful.

Though, yeah, he doesn't "deserve" to be burned alive in a bear suit. I viewed Dani's choice at the end as a mirror for her sister's choice at the beginning. They're both acts of horrifying ritualized violence designed to purge pain and despair from their lives. They're both insane, cruel, selfish choices that are not "justified" or defensible in any way. But that's not the point...both characters would do whatever they needed to to alleviate their suffering, and they act accordingly.

Yeah I agree with basically all of this, and I like the analysis at the end. I had trouble finding a way to thematically link the prologue with the rest of it.

I think many of us can totally sympathize with the idea of staying in a relationship past the point where you should and finding yourself in an awkward situation because of it, and it’s easy to feel that sympathy in the beginning even if it is kinda his fault. But once we get to the reveal not long after that that he’s been hiding the Sweden trip for six months, that sympathy quickly erodes