Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), this is the Unity stock asset Castle and is free on the Unity asset store to be used in any video. Let that set in that you may see this $8000 asset you paid for show up in some other fantasy RPG. the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of the Portalarium Offices, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!

Complete List of Rewards:

UPDATED: Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land! you still have to buy the land in real world money to place the castle on.
Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Home (to be revealed later)
UPDATED: PLUS Choice of any 1 House currently available in the store this is also a free unity asset store item.
Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice this is also a free unity asset store item.
Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot) this is also a free unity asset store item.
NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (to be revealed later)
140,000 Crowns
1000 Bank Slots
Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
2 Unique in-game items (to be revealed later)
Early Access to Episode 2 keep in mind absolutely nothing about episode 2 has been revealed so far.
Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team Port has still not fulfilled all orders of this item for the episode 1 backers from years ago.
1 hour one on one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference) this was offered for episode 1 backers and was never fulfilled by Port.
One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 17 - 24 Richard Garriot does not know how to craft this stuff that I am aware of. This claim is dubious and not likely to be fulfilled.
In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 17 - 24 (including a place-able decoration version)
Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.

NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.

NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Portalarium for Tour & Dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

big nipples big life posted:

I imagine it's pretty hard to offer office tours when you don't have an office anymore.

Strap a GoPro to Garriott's head and have him spin around his home office in his DXRacer Official Shroud of the Avatar gaming chair.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
lol look at these loving dorks.

I said come in! posted:

One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 17 - 24 Richard Garriot does not know how to craft this stuff that I am aware of. This claim is dubious and not likely to be fulfilled.

You doubt the silverwork of LORD BRITISH?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It looks like they are eating soup that came out of a can and was microwaved.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Beefeater posted:

i could easily beat up all these nerds at once nbd

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I said come in! posted:

It looks like they are eating soup that came out of a can and was microwaved.

It looks like Campbell's Chunky Soups/Stews.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schubalts posted:

Exactly, I couldn't remember or quite place what it was. I have eaten enough Cambell's though to know that is literally what they are eating here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beefeater posted:

This is legit embarrassing.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Schubalts posted:

It looks exactly like their beef with country vegetable soup. Which is actually pretty good as far as canned soups go. Dunno if Id be willing to pay $8,000 for the privilege of eating it with Lord British though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fine dining I think we can all agree.

*microwave beeps*

Your banquet awaits my liege.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It actually looks like a fun dinner party to me. I would love to join them. But I wouldn't pay for it. I would be willing to bring a side dish though. Not a hot one though. Hopefully BYOB so you don't have to drink home made Meade.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Imagine living in a castle and eating soup with 9 friends at a fold out poker table... Come play, my lord

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Imagine living in a castle and eating soup with 9 friends at a fold out poker table... Come play, my lord

They aren’t even his friends, they are just people that give him money that they probably couldn’t afford to give.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
how much was the required donation go to that dinner party

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It actually looks like a fun dinner party to me. I would love to join them. But I wouldn't pay for it. I would be willing to bring a side dish though. Not a hot one though. Hopefully BYOB so you don't have to drink home made Meade.

ya but 6 bottle of wine for 10 people seems like a bit of a lame renaissance fair event. These are like the dorks at the ren fair who are super tryhard roleplaying and not just drunk and loving wenches in the outhouse.

plus you got lord british over here flanked by two chicks, he's like the dude who invites his virgin male friends on dates with his woman just to lord over them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

of course garriott has the two attractive women seated next to him lmao

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Never forget that Richard Garriot, the real dude not his Lord British persona, wrote a moral mysticism text about “Ethical Hedonism” that tied into the virtues as laid out in his videogames/life’s work, and he consistently violates each aspect of it

Edit: He’s not just flubbing the ethics he’s not even doing good at hedonism I mean look at the above picture

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 10, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

how much was the required donation go to that dinner party

Same as the current, $8000

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Look at that picture and say to yourself "those people paid eight thousand American dollars to eat chunky soup and cosplay with those fucks".

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the only way to avoid corruption from a modicum of nerd fame and financial success is to exit society almost completely and spend your days smoking table chair sized spliffs while hanging out in the magic cave below your house

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Beefeater posted:

Pretty sure the guy who Iolo from the Ultima games was based on made that crossbow on his wall but did not get an invite to the rich nerd scammers dinner, very sad

Also I very clearly remember Richard Garriott announcing he was re-hiring Iolo to do the full soundtrack for The poo poo of The gently caress Unity Assets, and then I never heard about it again since

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Percelus posted:

the only way to avoid corruption from a modicum of nerd fame and financial success is to exit society almost completely and spend your days smoking table chair sized spliffs while hanging out in the magic cave below your house

Didnt the Minecraft guy do this for a while and eventually reemerge as some kind of alt-right weirdo? Im pretty sure nerd fame and fortune pretty much destroys everyone it touches. At least video game nerd stuff. The actual smart nerds who do stuff like start Google and Microsoft seem to do ok.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

CoffeeBooze posted:

Didnt the Minecraft guy do this for a while and eventually reemerge as some kind of alt-right weirdo? Im pretty sure nerd fame and fortune pretty much destroys everyone it touches. At least video game nerd stuff. The actual smart nerds who do stuff like start Google and Microsoft seem to do ok.
notch was always a terrible loving person

the money didn't change poo poo

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, is a 100% grade A loving rear end in a top hat, who epitomizes "gamer" culture.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, is a 100% grade A loving rear end in a top hat, who epitomizes "gamer" culture.

I know nothing about Notch other than "Minecraft" and "Hollywood Mansion" but I like him already.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, i tried the game, and what can i say? I like it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Nah I'm just kidding. This is possibly the worst piece of poo poo game i've played

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

CoffeeBooze posted:

IMHO, money doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Money just gives you the freedom to be whom you want to be... which, in some cases, is an rear end in a top hat.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I know nothing about Notch other than "Minecraft" and "Hollywood Mansion" but I like him already.

The funny thing about notch is he was already semi-well-known as a psychopath on some corners of the internet because he worked on wyrm online for awhile and was the perfect example of a wacko who works for a niche game and lets the power go to his head. I think a goon posted chat logs a couple years ago of notch going on a power trip because the guy had criticized the game's bugginess on the forums. Even during the minecraft years, he did things like compare server owners to drug dealers, but he was so out of the game at that point that there was a very "if only the czar knew!" vibe where one of his psychopath deputies was blamed for everything.

So when he emerged at an alt-right wacko a couple years ago it was not even remotely surprising, but the minecraft CM was still like "I looked up to him, how did it come to this?!" as though there were no red flags prior to that point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

The funny thing about notch is he was already semi-well-known as a psychopath on some corners of the internet because he worked on wyrm online for awhile and was the perfect example of a wacko who works for a niche game and lets the power go to his head. I think a goon posted chat logs a couple years ago of notch going on a power trip because the guy had criticized the game's bugginess on the forums. Even during the minecraft years, he did things like compare server owners to drug dealers, but he was so out of the game at that point that there was a very "if only the czar knew!" vibe where one of his psychopath deputies was blamed for everything.

So when he emerged at an alt-right wacko a couple years ago it was not even remotely surprising, but the minecraft CM was still like "I looked up to him, how did it come to this?!" as though there were no red flags prior to that point.

*Turns page of choose your own adventure book*

Paragraph 59.

You currently have $7999. You have only three options available to you:

1) Eight grand microwaved soup banquet with Lord British (go to paragraph 12)

2) Eight grand pool party at Notch's Hollywood mansion (go to paragraph 178)

3) Being robbed of your 8 grand and being left bleeding, unconscious and naked in an alleyway. (go to paragraph 95, also cross out all your items)

After you have made your choice please turn to that paragraph and continue.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Capntastic posted:

Never forget that Richard Garriot, the real dude not his Lord British persona, wrote a moral mysticism text about “Ethical Hedonism” that tied into the virtues as laid out in his videogames/life’s work, and he consistently violates each aspect of it

Edit: He’s not just flubbing the ethics he’s not even doing good at hedonism I mean look at the above picture

we become what we hate, 'tis the folly of man

God I love Richard Garriott so much, I hope he wins the lottery and both these ladies give him many sons after having sex with him simultaneously

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Btw is Richard getting younger????

It sure seems like hundreds of thousands of dollars handed freely do wonders for your skin

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Btw is Richard getting younger????

It sure seems like hundreds of thousands of dollars handed freely do wonders for your skin

It's a side effect of all the semen he ejaculates into young maidens in front of his microwaved soup guests.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I wish I had seven trillion dollars to give away to Richard Garriott's episode 2 of Shroud of the Avatar

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

It's a side effect of all the semen he ejaculates into young maidens in front of his microwaved soup guests.

good combo all around

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DancingShade posted:

He is an alt-right gamergate guy, who one time on his Twitter went on a rant about how racism against white people is a real thing and that it's okay to have white pride. Another standout moment to me is when Notch went on a rant about how all women are sluts that only wanted his money. He has openly admitted that he is alone and has zero trust of any women because he is scared they will steal everything right from under him. The dude needs serious help.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
he also has a wall in his house made entirely of candy

https://www.businessinsider.com/minecraft-creators-new-mansion-has-a-massive-candy-wall-2014-12

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

He is an alt-right gamergate guy, who one time on his Twitter went on a rant about how racism against white people is a real thing and that it's okay to have white pride. Another standout moment to me is when Notch went on a rant about how all women are sluts that only wanted his money. He has openly admitted that he is alone and has zero trust of any women because he is scared they will steal everything right from under him. The dude needs serious help.

he's a Q anon guy now. it's hilariously sad a guy got a billion dollar windfall, outbid jay z and beyonce for a mansion, and is indistinguishable from a dropout unemployed incel living in his parents' basement.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Snoop Dogg offered to hang out with Notch and play videogames and Notch said “no thank you”.

That is all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Givin posted:

Hot take.

Ultima games weren't very good except Ultima Online which was only good because it was an rear end in a top hat Simulator and are fondly remembered because there hardly was anything else at the time.

6 and 7 are tolerable and lead the way to better games being made not called Ultima and by other people. Any other numbered Ultima, can gently caress right off. I would much rather have to go back and play Gold Box D&D games with their arcane bullshit UIs or Wizardry's ball crushing difficulty than have to slog through any Ultima game.

A pox upon Lord British.

It's a bit old, but I gotta say this is really wrong. Games like Ultima 7 were literally the foundation that open world games like Skyrim were made on. Like, it's hard to describe just how amazing that game was back in the day. At times it seemed more like a world sim given how much effort was put into it. Every NPC had a schedule, a job, a house, and a set of personality traits in an era when that sort of thing was given cursory attention at best.

The sheer amount of poo poo to do that had nothing to do with the main game was incredible too. We're talking, you could rob a bank and get away from the guards on a horse drawn cart like some sort of hokey fantasy Ocean's Eleven robber, join a cult and gamble away your character's savings, bake bread (or if you're a psychopath bake it out of blood instead of using milk :stonk:), become a miner and then get eaten by a dragon when you assume that all caves had blackrock ore, etc, etc. In a lot of ways gaming still hasn't caught up to the insane level of detail and potential for loving around it had.

Then Serpent Isle came along and made the game much more linear and less sandboxy. :shrug:

Even Skyrim doesn't really have much detail as 7 did in many areas. One of the craziest things I noticed when going back to play it was when I realized that the NPC's not only had fully fleshed out jobs and life schedules but also altered the world accordingly to their job and personality type. IE: A cook in a tavern will make food using the crafting system which then is handed to a waitress NPC that takes it out for NPC's to eat. And you can do all sorts of crazy bullshit to gently caress with this, up to and including poisoning the food with the right items. Not even Skyrim bothers to simulate all that stuff in the world itself.

Now, how Garriot went from games like that to a Unity store asset flip is a mind boggler. But he had some genuine talent back in the day.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2019