Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Someone made a list of Letterbox’s top 250 best reviewed, narrative films. It has some problems but it’s definitely better than the IMDb 250.

https://boxd.it/8HjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The most interesting thing about this list to me is the inclusion of two fairly obscure Brazilian films (A Dog's Will and The Given Word), which makes me assume Letterboxd has a sizeable Latin American community.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://letterboxd.com/daredevllls/list/joker-come-hold-my-hand/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/worstletterboxd/status/1141088849407434752?s=21

lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's right.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Someone made a list of Letterbox’s top 250 best reviewed, narrative films. It has some problems but it’s definitely better than the IMDb 250.

https://boxd.it/8HjM

This is world's better than IMDb. More teens just getting into film should have to prioritize Harakiri.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Why is Chernobyl on Letterboxd?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

cebrail posted:

Why is Chernobyl on Letterboxd?

I think miniseries are on there, Chernobyl isn't considered an ongoing t.v. series

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It uses The Movie DB I believe as it’s data source, and I guess it includes limited series on there in some cases.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TMDB has ongoing series, too. But Letterboxed allows you to show TV movies, so maybe it was just miscategorized as one, or the lines have blurred between minis and TV movies and straight-to-stremaing flicks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think miniseries are on there, Chernobyl isn't considered an ongoing t.v. series

Correct. Hence Twin Peaks The Return and The Storm of the Century and the like being on there.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I thought Twin Peaks kept popping up and being taken down until it played as a marathon at Moma and then they felt it had cleared the film bar.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I don’t know where you draw the line with that. Big Little Lies is on Letterboxd too, and that is now in its second season and clearly A TV Show.

So you could say, well each season is a separate miniseries. Which is tenuous given it’s a direct continuation of the narrative. But stuff like seasons of American Crime Story and True Detective aren’t on there.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
also they list individual episodes of Black Mirror. It makes sense, they basically ARE stand alone films, but it's still technically a TV show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The more things the merrier to me, let everyone decide how they personally want to log things. I wouldn’t log Chernobyl or Black Mirror episodes personally but I can see why some people would.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

They're all made with cameras. It's just semantics about mode of distribution.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The answer to this is they should just loving have TV shows up there.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EL BROMANCE posted:

The more things the merrier to me, let everyone decide how they personally want to log things. I wouldn’t log Chernobyl or Black Mirror episodes personally but I can see why some people would.

Honestly the line for me with miniseries is whether something's on a list of movies I'm going through - I haven't logged Twin Peaks: The Return, but when I was finishing Scott Tobias' New Cult Canon list I didn't hesitate to log The Kingdom and haven't hesitated to log Berlin Alexanderplatz or Dekalog since they're on the TSPDT list.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I do find the question of "What is a film?" interesting, and how resistant people are to muddying the TV/Cinema dichotomy.

Casablanca -- 1h42m, made with 35mm film stock, distributed through cinemas: A film

The Honeymooners -- 39 episodes produced over two years and distributed via television: Not a film

The Crimson Ghost -- Republic film serial totaling 2h47m in 12 episodes released to cinemas in parts over the course of a year: A film

The Twilight Zone -- Standalone short stories produced by networks and distributed as a television series: Not a film

La Jetee -- A 20 minute short composed mostly of still images and screened in cinemas: A film

Avengers: Endgame -- A digitally recorded 3h2m culmination of a 20+ part series distributed via cinemas: A film

Twin Peaks: The Return -- 18hr series digitally recorded but broadcast over cable television in individual episodes: Not a film, until it was aired concurrently in cinemas in special screenings at which point it became a film

Dekalog -- 10-part television mini-series written and directed by a respected auteur: A film

Girls Just Want to Have Fun -- 3m music video: Not a film

Mothlight -- 3m experimental short made without the use of a camera, only by gluing moth wings to a film strip: A film

It (1990) -- 2-part miniseries aired on television but produced as a single 4h piece: A film, I guess

Homestar Runner -- Internet released flash animation series: Not a film

edit: I could keep going forever like this. We've discussed in this thread before something like Mystery Science Theater 3000 or stand up comedy specials. How do we address experimental filmmakers like James Benning who have created films that are effectively slideshows of still images? We consider early cinema like Edison and Lumiere shorts as films, but what about animated GIFs? What about that animated GIF that was the entirety of Terminator 2 in full at original framerate?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 8, 2019

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Twin Peaks: The Return -- 18hr series digitally recorded but broadcast over cable television in individual episodes: Not a film, until it was aired concurrently in cinemas in special screenings at which point it became a film

When TV shows are followed by critically acclaimed movies I do hold off. I still don't know if I want to watch Twin Peaks or the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series or just some of the films.

TrixRabbi posted:

...but what about animated GIFs? What about that animated GIF that was the entirety of Terminator 2 in full at original framerate?

Probably.

It's 2019 and even though billions of people stream movies on Netflix/YouTube et al. they never say things like "That's not a film. It's a H.264/MPEG-4 AVC file!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I mean, Debbie Does ASCII is in the database.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of ascii, don’t ever forget there’s a telnet server that spits back Star Wars into your client. Was still up as of 2008 at least and the domain is still live, so I expect this still works.

https://lifehacker.com/watch-star-wars-in-text-via-telnet-373571

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zogo posted:

When TV shows are followed by critically acclaimed movies I do hold off. I still don't know if I want to watch Twin Peaks or the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series or just some of the films.

I'm not sure what you mean by this in relation to Twin Peaks. The film isn't like, a remake of the movies the way Eva kind of is with it's movies.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this in relation to Twin Peaks. The film isn't like, a remake of the movies the way Eva kind of is with it's movies.

Yea, it's a different situation. I've heard it said that one should not watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me because it's a prequel to the first series. And that watching it would be very confusing.

If that's not true I'd be open to watching it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zogo posted:

Yea, it's a different situation. I've heard it said that one should not watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me because it's a prequel to the first series. And that watching it would be very confusing.

If that's not true I'd be open to watching it.

Not only is that 100% true, it would also completely ruin the first season and a half of the series because you'd have the answer to the question of "who killed Laura Palmer?" right away. But not in a way that actually makes sense narrative wise. Maybe in a way that makes sense symbolically, but that's it. So don't do that, watch the show first.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If you log a film that hasn't had the cast added on TMDb, and someone later adds those details, do they get retroactively added to your stats page?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Yes, I think so. I've had actors hop on my stats page because of that even though I didn't watch more movies that had them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation on that!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Which one of you is this

https://letterboxd.com/adamfriedland/films/reviews/by/activity/

e: ah its a cumtown dude

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 28, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not wrong about Freddy Got Fingered.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Like anyone in CineD would ever dare besmirch Keanu Reeves' work on John Wick.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Welp looks like I'm cancelling my subscription.

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1156051830423474181?s=21

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Think I’ll just review inglorious basterds then move on

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Well, that was quick

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1156073593622544384?s=21

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now we let 'em know 'lame' is ableist.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I played the YouTube clip and my baby started smiling during the chorus

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I made a dumb list:

https://letterboxd.com/kenny_waste/list/the-ricky-gervais-show-on-xfm-rockbusters/

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like I’m a bad reviewer because my most used rating by a wide margin is five stars. I’ve just watched and rewatched a lot of movies that I’ve loved over the last three years. 170 movies I’ve logged have been given between four and a half and five.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I don't do half stars, and I appreciate that Letterboxd formats appropriately for that scenario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

NienNunb posted:

I feel like I’m a bad reviewer because my most used rating by a wide margin is five stars. I’ve just watched and rewatched a lot of movies that I’ve loved over the last three years. 170 movies I’ve logged have been given between four and a half and five.

I give a LOT of 4s, which is my catch all "I really really liked this but there was a quibble I had"