Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
He drank the leaded gasoline because to him getting sick and having others get sick was preferable to the risk of lawsuits by workers and not getting paid obscene amounts of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Did a little fact checking and it looks like we both need to do more fact checking.
Dumbass sniffed it for 60 seconds.
(My cursory fact check showed no results for him drinking any, so I assumed that bit was fabrication.
Turns out, nope! Just a little hyperbole.)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I feel like scientists of that era can get a bit of leniency for stuff they didn't know would be bad.
We didn't really know how the continents actually moved or how that affected the environment back then, much less that CFCs would obliterate ozone or that the amount of CO2 we would later pump into the atmosphere could maybe doom us.

Note: this doesn't apply to poo poo like phrenology, lobotomies, etc. Some stuff you can pretty immediately tell is bad/bogus.

We've known about the greenhouse effect from CO2 since 1896.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We've known lead was bad since like Pliny the Elder.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There was a significant amount of science saying that lead, especially aerosolized, would be horribly toxic to everything on earth.

There were also equally viable, and much less toxic ways to improve octane, but Midgley was a dick and did what he wanted. This is the same dude who created and promoted Freon, too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah midleys only redeeming quality was how he died.

He was the Mitch McConnell of his time, truly.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mustached Demon posted:

We've known lead was bad since like Pliny the Elder.

True but he also had a whole book on cures using parts of dragons, so not exactly the best source.

I do treat hangovers with the ashes of a burned wolf's head though. That's just science.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

True but he also had a whole book on cures using parts of dragons, so not exactly the best source.

I do treat hangovers with the ashes of a burned wolf's head though. That's just science.

The cures work just fine. We just aren't trying hard enough to train dragon slayers to get the parts for us.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There was a significant amount of science saying that lead, especially aerosolized, would be horribly toxic to everything on earth.

There were also equally viable, and much less toxic ways to improve octane, but Midgley was a dick and did what he wanted. This is the same dude who created and promoted Freon, too.

Thomas Midgley Jr. is a hilariously deserving lightning rod of hate but focusing your hate on him is myopic. He worked for General Motors. General Motors pushed tetraethyl lead, drat the consequences, because they (through Midgley and his boss Kettering) had the patent on it and it was in the fact the most economical known anti-knock agent at the time. Ethanol was also known at the time as a great anti-knock agent but was much more expensive and killing the profit margin for gasoline.

As for CFCs, those were invented by a group at Frigidaire that Midgley was a part of. Who owned Frigidaire? loving General Motors. The worst part with CFCs is, they probably would've been okay if they had just been used as refrigerants. If that were the case, a whole lot less of them would have been vented to the atmosphere and the crackdown when the ozone damage was eventually noticed could be focused making sure people recapture CFCs when venting refrigeration systems. But CFCs are ridiculously inert to the human body so they were used as propellants in everything from hairspray to asthma inhalers, all going into the atmosphere at a ridiculous rate.

General Motors is possibly the corporation to do the most non-war time damage to humanity during the mid-20th century; Thomas Midgley Jr. is just a common denominator in their worst work.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

So he really is the Mitch McConnell of his time!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hunt11 posted:

The cures work just fine. We just aren't trying hard enough to train dragon slayers to get the parts for us.

The dragons were hunted to extinction because of those cures.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

LtStorm posted:

General Motors is possibly the corporation to do the most non-war time damage to humanity during the mid-20th century;

The problem with this statement is that GM is also a defense contractor.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/1148623110146592773

This will end well...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Skynet was too subtle for real life haha

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Science Fiction: should we hand all of humanity's weapons over to this nascent A.I.? Hmm...

Reality: flip the switch already! We're losing 2.7 million per hour to all this red tape!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
War Cloud?
Did someone beat us to Storm Cloud?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No, no. Get this. What if we put all our highly classified info in one place on the internet ? It's not like that's opening the potential for one of the biggest security breaches ever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FoolyCharged posted:

No, no. Get this. What if we put all our highly classified info in one place on the internet ? It's not like that's opening the potential for one of the biggest security breaches ever.

They already do.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sean10mm posted:

It’s also probably going to be named Skynet because someone thinks they’re being funny.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

HelloSailorSign posted:

It’s also probably going to be named Skynet because someone thinks they’re being funny.

My bet's on WOPR.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HootTheOwl posted:

They already do.

This.

And it's not so much about ai as it is not wanting to maintain a bunch of data centers that periodically shut down or change leadership, causing havok in the brittle, cockeyed tower of babble of bespoke applications the DoD relies on for pretty much everything.

From the article:

quote:

Formally called the Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure plan, or JEDI,
:rolleye:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LtStorm posted:

Thomas Midgley Jr. is a hilariously deserving lightning rod of hate but focusing your hate on him is myopic. He worked for General Motors. General Motors pushed tetraethyl lead, drat the consequences, because they (through Midgley and his boss Kettering) had the patent on it and it was in the fact the most economical known anti-knock agent at the time. Ethanol was also known at the time as a great anti-knock agent but was much more expensive and killing the profit margin for gasoline.

As for CFCs, those were invented by a group at Frigidaire that Midgley was a part of. Who owned Frigidaire? loving General Motors. The worst part with CFCs is, they probably would've been okay if they had just been used as refrigerants. If that were the case, a whole lot less of them would have been vented to the atmosphere and the crackdown when the ozone damage was eventually noticed could be focused making sure people recapture CFCs when venting refrigeration systems. But CFCs are ridiculously inert to the human body so they were used as propellants in everything from hairspray to asthma inhalers, all going into the atmosphere at a ridiculous rate.

General Motors is possibly the corporation to do the most non-war time damage to humanity during the mid-20th century; Thomas Midgley Jr. is just a common denominator in their worst work.

On the other hand, you can't name a single, individual organism to have a a great effect on the atmosphere than Midgley Jr.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

On the other hand, you can't name a single, individual organism to have a a great effect on the atmosphere than Midgley Jr.

Whichever bacterium was the first to accomplish photosynthesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Whichever bacterium was the first to accomplish photosynthesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event

I said "single, individual organism".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Solkanar512 posted:

I said "single, individual organism".

The single individual bacterium that first accomplished PS is responsible for all the others. Midgley also didn't personally, single-handedly spray all the freons into the atmosphere.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And by a strange coincidence, that bacterium's name was also Thomas Midgley, Jr

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

And by a strange coincidence, that bacterium's name was also Thomas Midgley, Jr

Thomas Midgley, Sr. Sr. Sr. Sr. Sr. Sr. Sr...

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hideo Kojima was ahead of his time.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
https://twitter.com/rawstory/status/1149145069045374976?s=21

The court docs have a few interesting tidbits that I’ll read from a proper computer later.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
His supporters will end up saying it's praiseworthy. Well maybe Pelosi won't go quite that far

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That's good

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1149267104165715969

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

What is this?
My only experience with drug rebates was realizing it's a scam the manufacturers are playing where they charged $20k for a plastic device that delivers a shot 26 hours after it's installed, but then after rebate my insurance was only charged $5k. And everyone knows it's a scam to the point that the hospital asked me if I'd like to participate in a rebate program and had already filled out the paperwork for me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

What is this?
My only experience with drug rebates was realizing it's a scam the manufacturers are playing where they charged $20k for a plastic device that delivers a shot 26 hours after it's installed, but then after rebate my insurance was only charged $5k. And everyone knows it's a scam to the point that the hospital asked me if I'd like to participate in a rebate program and had already filled out the paperwork for me.

I'm not sure, I just assume that every Trump proposed policy is terrible ahead of time. 99% of the time that assumption turns out to be correct.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1150132805403385856

Des Moines Register posted:

A Sioux City couple is accused of smuggling a Guatemalan girl into the country and locking her in their Iowa home, where the girl says she was repeatedly raped before she escaped, court documents show.
Amy Francisco’s father, Ronald Craig, also lived at the residence.

Craig, a U.S. citizen, told police that his daughter and son-in-law have helped about 10 Guatemalan nationals to travel to the United States. He said the two “arrange for the individuals to travel from Guatemala to the U.S. border and that they must bring a child with them,” according to court documents.
During interviews with police at the Sioux City Police Department on June 19, Francisco-Nicolas “stated he knows he messed up and the mistake he made was receiving these people,” according to court documents.

This is so strange and bizarre ... the guy states that the mistake he made was taking the people in, and not ... I donno ... raping a vulnerable minor?!?! It's almost like this story is setup to feed into the narrative of "those aren't really families coming over" when the narrative should be "these are extremely desperate people that are being taken advantage of".

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 13, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It is bizarre and I suspect we have been and will see more of it. Something is making our country mentally sick, we can only guess what's causing it, and we don't nearly have enough mental health support to fix it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1150132805403385856

This is so strange and bizarre ... the guy states that the mistake he made was taking the people in, and not ... I donno ... raping a vulnerable minor?!?! It's almost like this story is setup to feed into the narrative of "those aren't really families coming over" when the narrative should be "these are extremely desperate people that are being taken advantage of".

Seems like the narrative for some reason is “white people are being pedophile rapists to a spectacular degree”

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is bizarre and I suspect we have been and will see more of it. Something is making our country mentally sick, we can only guess what's causing it, and we don't nearly have enough mental health support to fix it.

It's lead.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mycomancy posted:

It's lead.

:emptyquote:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mycomancy posted:

It's lead.

Eh, I don't see it. Feels to me more like rapacious late stage capitalism turning the country's economy into a blighted hellscape of suffering and the resultant social fraying that comes from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mycomancy posted:

It's lead.

And unwantedness, whole shitloads of people were born to parents that didn't want them, before widespread use of the pill and the legalization of abortion.