Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volte posted:

"this will make it easier to maintain"

source: my, uh, friend did the same thing

I think it was originally "Get it out the door!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

animist posted:

i like how his filter for language-design ubermensch is "got a bachelors in math or EE"

do you want matlab and fortran b/c this is how you get matlab and fortran

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

VikingofRock posted:

The author posted his rant in /r/programming and let's just say that they don't take criticism well:

Weak-typed C-like language is an unmistakable sing of degeneracy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sing o muse of degeneracy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

EEs can hardly be trusted to design circuits much less programming languages

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
shuddering at the idea of liberal arts majors designing a language :ohdear:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

isnt that perl. p sure i even read a quote some years back from larry wall about how he tried to make writing perl similar to a natural language--highly contextual, sometimes ambiguous, but expressive

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Nomnom Cookie posted:

isnt that perl. p sure i even read a quote some years back from larry wall about how he tried to make writing perl similar to a natural language--highly contextual, sometimes ambiguous, but expressive

Speaking of Perl 6, did people see this supposed defense of Perl 6 that reads like a parody? The author had to confirm that no, he actually meant it seriously when he rebuts "Perl 6 is slow" with look at all these open performance tickets!

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Athas posted:

Speaking of Perl 6, did people see this supposed defense of Perl 6 that reads like a parody? The author had to confirm that no, he actually meant it seriously when he rebuts "Perl 6 is slow" with look at all these open performance tickets!

Oh jeez, this article.

• Perl 6 is "finished" because Perl 6 is a set of test cases, and the test cases are finished. (There are no fully passing implementations.)
  • Perl 6 does not have a bizarre ecosystem, although it does have something called nqp ("Not Quite Perl") which is a subset of Perl 6 which is "used to build the language". Build the test cases?? Build the Rakudo compiler?? Also, Perl 6 is sometimes called "Raku", to clear up confusion.
  • "Perl 6's lack of a niche is the language's niche." (direct quote)
  • It's okay for Perl 6 to be inconsistent because reality is inconsistent.
  • It's a myth that Perl 6 is too complicated and hard to learn, which is why the community introduces Perl 6 using a subset of the language called "baby Perl 6".
  • Perl 6 isn't hard to read, unless it's badly-written. Here's an example of well-written Perl 6: [[&g]] (1..100)».&f

I also see that "Larry Wall is a linguist" is still the free space on the Perl Apologia Bingo Card.

This is crazy, the most savage indictment of Perl 6 is to just quote directly from this article intended to defend it. It handily demonstrates all of its own myths to be true more clearly and concisely than I'd ever be able to do myself as an external observer. I used to see Perl 6 as a really amusing curiosity with flashes of insanity, but the amount of hard work that's been sunk into it and the lack of self-awareness is genuinely sad at this point.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
my favorite perl 6 fact is that you do atomic increment with the ⚛+= operator

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the most daming indictment of perl 6 is pointing at perl 5 and saying "somebody wanted to to second-system this shitshow"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what was perl 1

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bloody posted:

what was perl 1

a mistake

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

perl 5 was acceptable for scripting in the 90s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I actually still do perl -pe sometimes but it's pure muscle memory

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
perl 5 is, was, and will remain fine

if you think there is any important difference between perl 5, ruby, and python, you need to get a grip

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
is there a legitimate reason to ever use perl over python in 2019 though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

abigserve posted:

is there a legitimate reason to ever use perl over python in 2019 though?

sure. flip a coin

they are equally bad for exactly the same reasons

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Larry Wall is the bad Larry
Larry Page is the weird Larry
Larry Ellison is the good Larry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FamDav posted:

Larry Wall is the bad Larry
Larry Page is the weird Larry
Larry Ellison is the good Larry

larry wall is pretty weird, and "bad" is a value judgment i ain't willing to pursue

the other two need a short trip down a long rope, for different reasons

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sure. flip a coin

they are equally bad for exactly the same reasons

perl has more dollar signs than python and i find that offensive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plorkyeran posted:

perl has more dollar signs than python and i find that offensive

to summarize my prior post: get a grip

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol consider the source my friend

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, they’re right, sigils are idiotic and python is the superior language

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think Python is better because Perl and Perl culture encourages terse and clever code. :colbert:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

no, they’re right, sigils are idiotic and python is the superior language

to be clear that comment was not directed at nbsd despite quoting him

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
a truly threaded python with the same attention to performance as perl and use of {} or similar for blocks instead of significant whitespace would rule

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plank Walker posted:

what are you talking about, AppleScript is awesome

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BobHoward posted:

a truly threaded python with the same attention to performance as perl and use of {} or similar for blocks instead of significant whitespace would rule

:thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BobHoward posted:

ill start the wiki

animist
Aug 28, 2018

BobHoward posted:

just use rust

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

animist posted:

just use Lisp

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

homercles posted:

On the crisis of Go: we should save Go from the current crisis of overconfident narcissistic idiocy.

In the good old times only very few people, who have passed through harsh selection (basically, you have to me Math or EE major) were allowed into PL design. Out of that we got APL, Smalltalk, Common Lisp, Scheme, Miranda, Haskell, Standard ML and Scala - all the nice things.

I mean in the first place this is :cawg: - who the hell was supposedly deciding who was 'allowed into PL design'? Would you get arrested if you tried to write a parser?

In the second place, ever heard of, y'know, Cobol? Or MUMPS?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

eschaton posted:

what are you talking about, AppleScript is awesome

i was being sarcastic, like, oh no not people in the fields relating to interpersonal affairs trying to design a medium for communication??

animist
Aug 28, 2018

eschaton posted:

just use APL

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Xarn posted:

I think Python is better because Perl and Perl culture encourages terse and clever code. :colbert:

this is correct. it's possible to write python in perl, or vice versa, but people usually write perl with perl and this is what makes perl a bad language

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
python is also arguably becoming more perl-like with features like assignment expressions in 3.8

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

pypy exists

also one of the many things i hate about javascript is the syntactical ambiguity between code blocks and object literals so idk maybe Algol Did Nothing Wrong

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

perl 5 is, was, and will remain fine

if you think there is any important difference between perl 5, ruby, and python, you need to get a grip

you need to consider these things not in terms of the languages themselves, but rather as cultural artifacts in use by and affecting people. then you would realize that the important difference between perl and python is that python is in use by far more people and is therefore far worse than perl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

you need to consider these things not in terms of the languages themselves, but rather as cultural artifacts in use by and affecting people. then you would realize that the important difference between perl and python is that python is in use by far more people and is therefore far worse than perl.

i can accept this argument

python has definitely damaged the world more than perl, but not because of any design reason