Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

not gonna lie you lost me there

What we get about their relationship is that Christian's primary thrust in life is to take passive control, and that Dani needs a therapist to properly deal with her PTSD and anxiety. The proper response to a situation like that is to break up, not to literally burn him alive, but the narrative goal of the film is to get her to that point, and there's a lot of odd justifying going on to get there without enough substance. I feel that more detail was needed to properly explore these "grey area" people, as I think, Aster referred to them, because without that detail they're not complex, they're just ciphers, and it puts the audience in the position of doing a lot of guesswork about these people and their motivations. I found it hard to really engage with her decision at the end, because I a: didn't feel one way or another about it and b: it was hard for me to tell what she was making her decision based on. There's this great, almost devil's advocate moral quandry in the beginning regarding responsibility on both sides that's functionally dissolved by the end, and that's frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What we get about their relationship is that Christian's primary thrust in life is to take passive control, and that Dani needs a therapist to properly deal with her PTSD and anxiety. The proper response to a situation like that is to break up, not to literally burn him alive, but the narrative goal of the film is to get her to that point, and there's a lot of odd justifying going on to get there without enough substance. I feel that more detail was needed to properly explore these "grey area" people, as I think, Aster referred to them, because without that detail they're not complex, they're just ciphers, and it puts the audience in the position of doing a lot of guesswork about these people and their motivations. I found it hard to really engage with her decision at the end, because I a: didn't feel one way or another about it and b: it was hard for me to tell what she was making her decision based on. There's this great, almost devil's advocate moral quandry in the beginning regarding responsibility on both sides that's functionally dissolved by the end, and that's frustrating.

See I mostly agree with all this but everything from the Carrie comparison on in your previous post is what lost me

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See I mostly agree with all this but everything from the Carrie comparison on in your previous post is what lost me

Carrie is very clear about how we should feel about Carrie, while this film is much more ambiguous (almost to a fault), and it kind of reminds me of the Aziz Ansari thing where the big question became the degree to which he deserved to be publicly shamed for being pushy, entitled, and horny. He's a stonewalling dickbag, but she's deeply codependent (your partner is not your therapist!) - the horror should arise from the painful irony that she's found a "place" that a: requires her to literally murder her way out of her past and b: she functionally takes advantage of, but because so much of the film is vague and ambiguous, it feels more like a clumsy thought experiment than a satisfyingly twisted moral conclusion (again, see also Oleanna, which is more successfully provocative but is also Mamet bending himself into a pretzel to make Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas equally villainous and sypathetic).

bort
Mar 13, 2003

beanieson posted:

Are we meant to think this ceremony happens once every 90 years? Because Pelle says his parents died in a fire and I’m think now that maybe this was just the 90th anniversary of when they first started these annual sacrifices 🤷🏻‍♂️
Having thought a lot about the 90 years thing and reading posts about it at length in this thread, I think there was probably a draft of the script where it worked. However, it's so ambiguous as the movie is cut right now. Enforced senescide at 72, and one more "18-year life stage" later, there's this ceremony, or confluence of ceremonies. I think it's botched, but left in because it does drive the characters (and the audience) to the ceremony. Moreover, leaving little unresolved things out there prompts discussion and interpretation.

It's sort of a :shrug: cop out, but there is not enough there to make sense of it. :iiam:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my assumption is there's some kind of sacrifice within the community more often than the grand 9 day festival with 9 sacrifices that requires outsiders.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Groovelord Neato posted:

my assumption is there's some kind of sacrifice within the community more often than the grand 9 day festival with 9 sacrifices that requires outsiders.

That makes sense. A 90 year gap is more than enough for something like this to be seen as gruesome by a younger generation. All these people were just fine with flaying/burning people and watching gramps & grandma fall to their death. No way they’d all be fine with that if it had never happened before during their lives.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

Catching up on this thread, the debate about Christian is a bit unsettling. The dude was essentially raped.

Yeah holy poo poo no kidding. Nothing in those scenes was remotely consensual.

There’s a big difference between being interested in someone and everything that plays out in the movie.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yea someone earlier in the thread was making the argument that since he willingly took the drink, he obviously consented to sex and I was like :eyepop:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You can tell it wasnt consensual because as soon as he got out of the trance he lost that chub like a deflated balloon

Like, yeah, he blew his load, but even post load you are still gonna still be pulling at least a mushy sausage for a few minutes

Nope, he just went right into floppy

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Quite the analysis there bud

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

RCarr posted:

Quite the analysis there bud

where's the lie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

actually had the same thought lol.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Well it’s been fun thread but I’m outta here

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well it’s been fun thread but I’m outta here

Yeah, jeepers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how american...smashing in an old man's noggin is all fun and games but i gotta jet when someone mentions a post-cum dick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

how american...smashing in an old man's noggin is all fun and games but i gotta jet when someone mentions a post-cum dick.

yeah lol

I will never not adore the power of an exposed penis in cinema to make people deeply uncomfortable

y'all getting uncomfortable about some weiner chat

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I don't think the movie portrays Christian as cheating, he's clearly out of his gourd and didn't consent to any of it. It's all the stuff he does the rest of the time that the movie condemns him for. I actually think it muddles the ending a bit-- seeing him "cheating" (heavy heavy quotation marks on this) is the turning point for Dani, but it definitely shouldn't have been.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Unironically one of my favorite part of the movie was how long they just had his penis fully exposed in broad daylight versus how limited or desexualized the female nudity was

Penis is like the last great frontier of making people uncomfortable and more penises need to be in movies

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Erm, I don't think it's the weiner chat in as much as the declaration that because his penis wasn't hard enough for you post-load that we can divine great truths about him not being a poo poo-bag.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah lol

I will never not adore the power of an exposed penis in cinema to make people deeply uncomfortable

y'all getting uncomfortable about some weiner chat

More like I’m increasingly afraid to find out how y’all feel about age of consent laws

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that is a...helluva leap.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

More like I’m increasingly afraid to find out how y’all feel about age of consent laws

A. not sure how can infer we have opinions on age of consent laws based on dick floppiness
B. Go gently caress yourself for implying we are pedophiles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

qwewq posted:

Erm, I don't think it's the weiner chat in as much as the declaration that because his penis wasn't hard enough for you post-load that we can divine great truths about him not being a poo poo-bag.

Look, that was terror dick

Like, people don't realize that the David of Michaelangelo has a tiny dick because its depicting the moment he first beheld Goliath and his tiny little weiner is meant to suggest the great fear he felt at that moment

Christian was absolutely rocking a rod that was too floppy post-coital to not be confused and terrified

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Call me a prude if you must but I don’t think being on mushrooms at the time excuses a grad student loving a 16 year old

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

that is a...helluva leap.

me watching the attestupa.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Call me a prude if you must but I don’t think being on mushrooms at the time excuses a grad student loving a 16 year old

So you are saying if someone drugs you for sex and they remain sober that its still consensual?

thats hosed up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*man is literally raped by a 16 year old girl*

"wow I cannot believe that guy is a pedophile"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i was solely commenting on the post-coital tumescence.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ya I don’t think anyone is saying that. But I’m pretty sure Christian was raped.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think it says something about how much the film delves into the loss of male power and masculine inadequacy when a man is literally raped and murdered for the crime of being a bad boyfriend and some of y'all are still trying to make it act like he had the power in the scenario because the idea of male impotence is so alien to you

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

qwewq posted:

Yea, it’s this. Doing a scientific analysis of how erect a dude’s dick is in order to prove he did nothing wrong is pretty weird. But feel free to double down on calling people weird for being uncomfortable with your thesis.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Is the thread forgetting that Christian gets kicked by Maja near the beginning of their time at Harga while the conga line is going around? He makes eye contact with her, he's clearly intrigued and then he leaves Dani and gets up to join the line.

I watched the movie a second time last night and, knowing his fate, it's impressive how much of a shithead Christian is made out to be throughout the entire movie.

I mean the first time we meet him, there is a very deliberate shot of him checking out a waitress' rear end as she walks away from his table at the pizza parlor.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RCarr posted:

Yea, it’s this. Doing a scientific analysis of how erect a dude’s dick is in order to prove he did nothing wrong is pretty weird. But feel free to double down on calling people weird for being uncomfortable with your thesis.

Don't get mad at me because you are unwilling to look at the visual clues provided by the filmmaker to suggest the mental state of the characters.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Is the thread forgetting that Christian gets kicked by Maja near the beginning of their time at Harga while the conga line is going around? He makes eye contact with her, he's clearly intrigued and then he leaves Dani and gets up to join the line.

So you are saying a person deserves to be raped by another person if they show any sort of attraction to them?

Thats hosed up

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So you are saying a person deserves to be raped by another person if they show any sort of attraction to them?

Thats hosed up

Did I post that?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

Did I post that?

Why does it matter that he danced with her during a festival when we are talking about how she rapes him?

Sounds like you think he was asking for it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I apologize for joining in on the free for all of taking everything someone else says in the worst possible way, but I do think people are forgetting or choosing to ignore some crucial things in order to fit their narrative

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why does it matter that he danced with her during a festival when we are talking about how she rapes him?

Sounds like you think he was asking for it

I don't think he was asking for it but I do think the movie does imply that he is at the very least interested in a 16 year old.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you’re asking me to take the “but he didn’t have a half chub!” thing seriously my response would be the actor likely didn’t have an erection because the actors likely did not actually have unsimulated sex while filming. Maybe they did and Ari Aster’s on some Catherine Breillat poo poo but I kinda doubt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I apologize for joining in on the free for all of taking everything someone else says in the worst possible way, but I do think people are forgetting or choosing to ignore some crucial things in order to fit their narrative

Sure, but I do think people are choosing to discount the fact that Christian was literally raped

Like, all jokes aside, that dude was raped