Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
Found this in one of my feeds. It's an article from last year, but it details how an economist that few have heard of has been stealthily helping the 1% hijack our government. Apparently, James Buchanan is the go-to guy when you think Ayn Rand is too optimistic and charitable. It's objectivism on steroids and adding real political action (plus being funded by Charles Koch).

quote:

In thinking about how people make political decisions and choices, Buchanan concluded that you could only understand them as individuals seeking personal advantage. In an interview cited by MacLean, the economist observed that in the 1950s Americans commonly assumed that elected officials wanted to act in the public interest. Buchanan vehemently disagreed — that was a belief he wanted, as he put it, to “tear down.” His ideas developed into a theory that came to be known as “public choice.”

Buchanan’s view of human nature was distinctly dismal. Adam Smith saw human beings as self-interested and hungry for personal power and material comfort, but he also acknowledged social instincts like compassion and fairness. Buchanan, in contrast, insisted that people were primarily driven by venal self-interest. Crediting people with altruism or a desire to serve others was “romantic” fantasy: politicians and government workers were out for themselves, and so, for that matter, were teachers, doctors, and civil rights activists. They wanted to control others and wrest away their resources: “Each person seeks mastery over a world of slaves,” he wrote in his 1975 book, The Limits of Liberty.

Does that sound like your kindergarten teacher? It did to Buchanan.

The people who needed protection were property owners, and their rights could only be secured though constitutional limits to prevent the majority of voters from encroaching on them, an idea Buchanan lays out in works like Property as a Guarantor of Liberty (1993). MacLean observes that Buchanan saw society as a cutthroat realm of makers (entrepreneurs) constantly under siege by takers (everybody else) His own language was often more stark, warning the alleged “prey” of “parasites” and “predators” out to fleece them.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

volts5000 posted:

Found this in one of my feeds. It's an article from last year, but it details how an economist that few have heard of has been stealthily helping the 1% hijack our government. Apparently, James Buchanan is the go-to guy when you think Ayn Rand is too optimistic and charitable. It's objectivism on steroids and adding real political action (plus being funded by Charles Koch).

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america

Somewhere in Hell, former President James Buchanan has a small moment of relief at the knowledge he is now no longer the worst person to ever have been named James Buchanan.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry_Ed posted:

Somewhere in Hell, former President James Buchanan has a small moment of relief at the knowledge he is now no longer the worst person to ever have been named James Buchanan.

let's not say things we might regret later

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Prester Jane posted:

Hey y'all, guess what's happening with that blank check that Nancy Pelosi just wrote for the camps:

https://twitter.com/BestButterCup/status/1148689136527826947?s=19

How long until we find the first mass grave?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Registering as NPA is a great way to potentially disenfranchise yourself while accomplishing absolutely nothing.
It accomplished me receiving less racist mail. Which was my primary goal.

Don't worry though, I switched back to vote for Berndawg.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Does anyone know of a summary or podcast of all the Epstein bullshit that's happened over the years. Theres so much going on about him that crimes it seems everything is being mixed together and I'm having problems figuring out what's true and what's projection/lies.

Thanks in advance.

If anyone beat me to this I'm sorry but Behind the Bastards by Robert Evans did a 2 part show about him

EFB!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 10, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

LeeMajors posted:

How long until we find the first mass grave?

Not to be so maudlin as to distress people, but we probably won't until a few decades have passed and people involved start talking. Right now they're operating without many, if any records at all -- the nazis had names and dates and poo poo in a way we aren't bothering to do. Most of the children who were "lost" (at least 1,488 according to official government documentation) have probably been trafficked, some possibly to backdoor adoption, but most probably to slavery. The rest were probably "lost" in the sense that they got killed en route and left somewhere.

But America is very large, very empty, and there's not really anything being done to oversee these sites that are all over the country. The facilities aren't just in Texas, they're privately owned everywhere. So ... I mean, dispersal of bodies will be significantly easier in 2019 than it was in 1943.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

If anyone beat me to this I'm sorry but Behind the Bastards by Robert Evans did a 2 part show about him

Also going to recommend their two-parter on Mike Adams because of HOLY poo poo levels of relevancy to our problems with mass spamming of actual Fake News on social media platforms.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Not only that but standard insurance companies hate hate HATE chronic conditions of any sort, and especially hate chronic conditions that require regular treatments. Treatment for end-stage kidney failure is relatively common, lasts years, and is pretty expensive due to the frequency of the required dialysis visits. There's no way they didn't heavily lobby for the medicare coverage so that they could boot those who need the profit-sapping treatments ASAP.

Just look at that article - the treatment centers actually take a loss on the medicare covered patients but more than make up for it on the 10% of patients in the first 30 months of treatment when private insurance has to pay.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ershalim posted:

Not to be so maudlin as to distress people, but we probably won't until a few decades have passed and people involved start talking. Right now they're operating without many, if any records at all -- the nazis had names and dates and poo poo in a way we aren't bothering to do. Most of the children who were "lost" (at least 1,488 according to official government documentation) have probably been trafficked, some possibly to backdoor adoption, but most probably to slavery. The rest were probably "lost" in the sense that they got killed en route and left somewhere.

But America is very large, very empty, and there's not really anything being done to oversee these sites that are all over the country. The facilities aren't just in Texas, they're privately owned everywhere. So ... I mean, dispersal of bodies will be significantly easier in 2019 than it was in 1943.

a lot of them were also placed with family members (or, conceivably, through actual decent adoption agencies) who are avoiding ORR followup by the Trump administration, and there may be good sensible reasons to do that

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ershalim posted:

Considering that we already know of situations wherein an individual has been forced into a standing-room-only space for a period of at least 50 consecutive days... we should be hearing about a great deal many more severe medical/psychological incidents/fatalities than we are.

Like it doesn't matter how healthy you are when you start out- those kind of conditions degrade the human body/psyche very quickly.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

GreyjoyBastard posted:

a lot of them were also placed with family members (or, conceivably, through actual decent adoption agencies) who are avoiding ORR followup by the Trump administration, and there may be good sensible reasons to do that

Oh, sure. Some people also escape ICE custody and then just hide. That's true too. But... the numbers we're dealing with are much higher than most people realize. At the end of May this year, there were already over 52,000 people being detained, with ~1000 "family units" being held together. ICE is also seriously upping its detainment and planning raids on major cities, so that number is going to spike soon.

Prester Jane posted:

Considering that we already know of situations wherein an individual has been forced into a standing-room-only space for a period of at least 50 consecutive days... we should be hearing about a great deal many more severe medical/psychological incidents/fatalities than we are.

Yeah. There have been many, many more deaths than have been reported. I think that should be obvious, but ... I guess it's easier for people not to think about the realities of what an overfilled camp full of people with no oversight would be like.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ershalim posted:

Oh, sure. Some people also escape ICE custody and then just hide. That's true too. But... the numbers we're dealing with are much higher than most people realize. At the end of May this year, there were already over 52,000 people being detained, with ~1000 "family units" being held together. ICE is also seriously upping its detainment and planning raids on major cities, so that number is going to spike soon.

Nationwide, state-sponsored compaction cycle.

Anyone curious about what happens when they run out of refugees/immigrants to put in the camps? Three guesses. but I bet you only need one

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ershalim posted:

Most of the children who were "lost" (at least 1,488 according to official government documentation) have probably been trafficked, some possibly to backdoor adoption, but most probably to slavery. The rest were probably "lost" in the sense that they got killed en route and left somewhere.

This is like, a fwd:fwd:fwed mangling of a news story.

it was:

"From October to December 2017, ORR [Office of Refugee Resettlement] attempted to reach 7,635 UAC [unaccompanied alien children] and their sponsors. Of this number, ORR reached and received agreement to participate in the safety and well-being call from approximately 86 percent of sponsors. From these calls, ORR learned that 6,075 UAC remained with their sponsors. Twenty-eight UAC had run away, five had been removed from the United States, and 52 had relocated to live with a non-sponsor. ORR was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 UAC."

As in, they were lost in that they were released to sponsors who then did not answer the phone when called by ICE. Also I guess you are rounding up numbers to the nazi number because it's spookier?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it was:

"From October to December 2017, ORR [Office of Refugee Resettlement] attempted to reach 7,635 UAC [unaccompanied alien children] and their sponsors. Of this number, ORR reached and received agreement to participate in the safety and well-being call from approximately 86 percent of sponsors. From these calls, ORR learned that 6,075 UAC remained with their sponsors. Twenty-eight UAC had run away, five had been removed from the United States, and 52 had relocated to live with a non-sponsor. ORR was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 UAC."

As in, they were lost in that they were released to sponsors who then did not answer the phone when called by ICE. Also I guess you are rounding up numbers to the nazi number because it's spookier?

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1042569004169265152?s=19

According to official government reports they have lost track of 1,488 children, not just once- but on two seperate occasions.

:thunk: I wonder if something fishy is being signaled there..

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 10, 2019

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

Nationwide, state-sponsored compaction cycle.

Anyone curious about what happens when they run out of refugees/immigrants to put in the camps? Three guesses. but I bet you only need one

1.) They arent gonna run out of migrants anytime soon, but also

2.) I guarantee they arent actually checking peoples' immigration status

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it was:

No there was literally a press release or court response from ICE that listed 1488 unaccounted for minors at one point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There was an actual gov release using 1488 as the number. Yes really.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sometimes actions have consequences...

https://twitter.com/oliviabradley88/status/1148958211531268099

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LeeMajors posted:

There was an actual gov release using 1488 as the number. Yes really.

Twice.

quote:

Twice in less than a year, the federal government has lost track of nearly 1,500 migrant children after placing them in the homes of sponsors across the country, federal officials have acknowledged.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1042569004169265152?s=19

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

This is like a white on white version of that Nazi going "c'mon wanna fight" and then getting knocked out immediately like a pussy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Awwwww

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1148983973898383360

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

The Sean posted:

This is like a white on white version of that Nazi going "c'mon wanna fight" and then getting knocked out immediately like a pussy.

Really hope this dude never works again.

(Was gonna say "dies alone" but from the sound of things that's pretty much a guarantee)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Sean posted:

It's amazing to me, how some people are so willing and ready to show their rear end so badly over nothing, and how far people will let them go to avoid conflict. Not everyone likes conflict, and will go to great lengths to avoid it. Events like this highlight that sweeping generalizations made of human behavioral needs, such as those made by selfish idiots like Rand and Buchanan, are indeed just self serving, sweeping generalizations, perhaps to assert dominance again by dismissing out of hand all unfamiliar concerns.

I hope Tiny Napoleon here gets his fingers broken.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Sean posted:

Lmao that dude is 4,9 taking on a 6 ft dude

Okay buddy, that ends well for you

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dude's got size issues

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shifty Pony posted:

Not only that but standard insurance companies hate hate HATE chronic conditions of any sort, and especially hate chronic conditions that require regular treatments. Treatment for end-stage kidney failure is relatively common, lasts years, and is pretty expensive due to the frequency of the required dialysis visits. There's no way they didn't heavily lobby for the medicare coverage so that they could boot those who need the profit-sapping treatments ASAP.
Well, there's that, but there is an actual ongoing medical crisis in the United States. Diabetes, Hypertension, and obesity are all obvious problems and have been so for decades, especially if you're poorer. If ESRD wasn't covered by Medicare, it would probably have broken the US healthcare system decades ago.

Edit: diabetes, hypertension, and obesity all contribute to renal disease, I should mention that.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 10, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao that dude is 4,9 taking on a 6 ft dude

Okay buddy, that ends well for you

I'm just happy he wasn't trying to justify pulling a weapon to himself or something like that. Hopefully, he'll realize that he has a problem and get the help he needs.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Looks and sounds like a Seinfeld skit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Soup Literal Nazi

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

lol either this dude is less than 5 foot tall or the other dude is like 7ft, either way bad call on his part

e: lol I didn't even listen to his rant, I see now

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2019

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Oompa loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
Oompa loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me
Who do you blame when you can't get a date
Using online dating instead of a meetup or going home to just masturbate
Blaming women is a lie and a shame
You know exactly who's to blame
The Q and the anon
Oompa loompa doompadee dah
If you're not entitled then you will go far.
You will live in happiness too
Like the oompa loompa doompadee do.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It's amazing to me, how some people are so willing and ready to show their rear end so badly over nothing, and how far people will let them go to avoid conflict. Not everyone likes conflict, and will go to great lengths to avoid it. Events like this highlight that sweeping generalizations made of human behavioral needs, such as those made by selfish idiots like Rand and Buchanan, are indeed just self serving, sweeping generalizations, perhaps to assert dominance again by dismissing out of hand all unfamiliar concerns.

I hope Tiny Napoleon here gets his fingers broken.

Crazy thing is how eager dude man seemed to tackle him. Had little guy been bigger I don't think he's as eager.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

pkay posted:

Crazy thing is how eager dude man seemed to tackle him. Had little guy been bigger I don't think he's as eager.

Tiny angry man was getting more and more physical with people. I think after he chest bumped the other guy, the super tall dude just said gently caress it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
All I get is Weird Al’s “Angry White-Boy Polka” coming to mind when seeing that weirdo freak out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pkay posted:

He was talking extraordinary amounts of poo poo, dude wsn't even trying to hurt him. And yes, people are less enthusiastic about tackling somebody bigger than them, thrilling observation.

This being America, little dude is gonna stop off in WalMart and pick up an AR15 on his way home from work. Or maybe like a derringer or something

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Talk about short tempered :v:

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Tiny angry man was getting more and more physical with people. I think after he chest bumped the other guy, the super tall dude just said gently caress it.

Of course, but had he been say 6'5 235lbs is he that eager to escalate? Let's be real, the dude that tackled him is probably an rear end in a top hat himself and he escalated it from words to physical action.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1148680463973793793

well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1148996830396633088