Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Terrible Robot posted:

I like that it ruined the fan but actually seems to have left the turbine itself (mostly) intact.

None of what's in the video is a turbine, those are at the back of the engine. The stationary blades you see are normally stationary. Behind them (turning) is the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

vessbot posted:

None of what's in the video is a turbine, those are at the back of the engine. The stationary blades you see are normally stationary. Behind them (turning) is the fan.

I'm talking about the glowing ring of hell in the center, which I assumed was the turbine inlet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm talking about the glowing ring of hell in the center, which I assumed was the turbine inlet.

The fan is the huge front circle inlet, the hot section is the slightly smaller set of blades still intact in the video. Glowing hell ring is *literally* a glowing ring; I'm pretty sure that's a hosed up bearing glowing red hot from friction.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah that's definitely an incinerated bearing. Now my question in relation to that is, "cause or effect?"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

slidebite posted:

Not mine (obviously) but crosspost from the failure thread:

The front fell off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tell me more

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ewe2 posted:

The front fell off.

That's not very typical

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dont JT8Ds have a history of blowing their fans off

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That engine looks too big to be a JT8, looks like the IAE or Rolls on an MD90 or 717.

e: never mind you can see the stator vanes in front of the fan, that’s definitely a JT8

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 10, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

That engine looks too big to be a JT8, looks like the IAE or Rolls on an MD90 or 717.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1425/history/20190708/1614Z/KATL/KRDU

It was an MD88.

According to that page they got a replacement plane there in 4 hours. Not bad!

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Godholio posted:

The F-15E is not an up-armored F-15. It's a structurally sturdier (for payload) two-seater redesigned primarily for air-to-ground missions, while the A-D models' motto was "Not a pound for air to ground."

And this is the requirement he gave that answer for:

quote:

Design a close support aircraft using only technology available in 1985. Minimum top speed 400mph. Must capable of carrying at least 5000kg of munitions and carry internal gun. Must be low-cost, highly resistant to ground-fire and have minimal ground support requirements. STOL or rough-field capability a plus.

An F-15E is closer to that than throwing armor on a A-D. Although my answer would just be an A-10.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ApathyGifted posted:

And this is the requirement he gave that answer for:

An F-15E is closer to that than throwing armor on a A-D. Although my answer would just be an A-10.

Ah, I see what happened. I thought you were asking if an armored F-15 was just an F-15E.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONI3ztajb4
I wonder if anything has been upgraded or if they're just basic testing platforms.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AzureSkys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONI3ztajb4
I wonder if anything has been upgraded or if they're just basic testing platforms.

Very cool! The F-16s on the "opposite side of the race track" were probably looking at it with radar when they were heading towards each other. Training pilots against low observables, testing new radar tech, something like that. I bet the F-117 can have many years of life left if it has a useful training or testing mission.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
QF-117 seems like a useful tool for training intercepts on low-observable targets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DHhiwvatQ

I’m super impressed that the first time I hear of this is the airworthy flight test article parked at the Paris Air Show.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ApathyGifted posted:

Isn't that just an F-15E?

Not really, real strike eagles aren't designed for CAS with their cannon. It's a bomb truck intended to let a pilot manage an air fight while the second seat officer attacks the ground.

*e:fb

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:rock:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is flying Iceland Air?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Charles posted:

How is flying Iceland Air?
I remember it being fairly decent. Stopping in Reykjavik breaks up the Atlantic crossing fairly nicely, although honestly with in-flight entertainment getting better (both on the plane and your own devices) that’s not as big of a deal anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Co-worker flew from Edmonton to Reykjavik and upgraded to their version of 1st called "Saga" class or something. Sounds like domestic business from the way he described it. He said the food was good, service was excellent and the flight was fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

david_a posted:

I remember it being fairly decent. Stopping in Reykjavik breaks up the Atlantic crossing fairly nicely, although honestly with in-flight entertainment getting better (both on the plane and your own devices) that’s not as big of a deal anymore.

You should've just stopped in Iceland because it was probably cooler than wherever you were going.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
3x A380s circling in a hold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTh2n_mCV0

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw they fly to Brussels, or at least from Brussels (on the way there is another connection through Oslo, but not on the way back?), but you do have to pay for meals in peon class. Total journey time is comparable or even shorter than Delta through Amsterdam to Seattle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think they have a not-every-day service to Brussels

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think they have a not-every-day service to Brussels

Ah maybe it wasn't on the day I was looking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/air-canada-turbulence-injuries-1.5208458

"When I tell you to fasten your seatbelts, I mean that poo poo."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I used to tempt fate taking off my belt once the light went out - nowadays I just loosen it a bit, but keep it on tightly enough that I won't become one with the console should we suddenly dive 5-10k in the space of a few seconds.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I strap in hard when we begin the roll, loosen up after climbing enough that we probably aren’t going to hit anything, and tighten again if things get shaky or I see FAs hurriedly sitting down, and tighten again for landing until we’re off the runway and high speed taxi.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Makes me shudder to think of flying with a baby on the lap, I did that, would not do again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel terrible for the cabin crew, and anyone using the lavatory at the time (EDIT: Or passengers flying with infants on their lap, I forgot about that... jesus). The rest of the people? Honestly, wear your loving seatbelt. Flying is not a goddamn game, and from students to licensed pilots to passengers, I'm sick of this attitude that you can simply ignore best practices and be casual about safety, because just like in this incident, it leads to unnecessary injury, and often damage to the aircraft or death.

Look at that incident in Russia where people died because loving morons were taking their hand baggage with them during an evacuation. Failure to follow instruction almost certainly cost human lives.

Flying is currently an exceptionally safe method of transportation, but that has lulled people into a false sense of security -- pilots and passengers alike -- and when that translates into ignoring safety measures, people's lives are at risk, and that's something I try to drill into all of my students.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not to go all r/IAmVeryBadass, but if some troglodyte in front of me was blocking my escape while trying to get their poo poo I would use whatever means necessary to remove them as an obstacle for myself and others.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I just leave my seatbelt on in exactly the same way unless I bust out the lie flat. Then it needs to be adjusted but I still keep it on.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

Makes me shudder to think of flying with a baby on the lap, I did that, would not do again.

BabyCubes: TSA-approved safety devices for toddlers and infants! One foot of breathable high-impact-resistant foam on all sides! Packs neatly...into the cargo bay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

BabyCubes: TSA-approved safety devices for toddlers and infants! One foot of breathable high-impact-resistant foam on all sides! Packs neatly...into the cargo bay.

lol would have been handy when she flipped out through the entire 2nd half of the return trip.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jealous Cow posted:

Not to go all r/IAmVeryBadass, but if some troglodyte in front of me was blocking my escape while trying to get their poo poo I would use whatever means necessary to remove them as an obstacle for myself and others.

George Carlin had a whole bit on this

quote:

I locate my nearest emergency exit, and then I plan my route. You have to plan your route. It's not always a straight line, is it? Sometimes there's a really big fat gently caress sitting right in front of you. Well, you know you'll never get over him. I look around for women and children, midgets and dwarves, cripples, war widows, paralyzed veterans, people with broken legs, anybody who looks like they can't move too well; the emotionally disturbed come in VERY handy at a time like this. You might have to go out of your way to find these people, but you'll get out of the plane a lot God drat quicker, believe me. I say, "Let's see, I'll go around the fat gently caress, step on the widow's head, push those children out of the way, knock down the paralyzed midget, and get out of the plane where I can help others."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My favourite Carlin airplane bit was “why are people always saying “get on the plane, get on the plane”, gently caress you I’m getting IN! The daredevils can get on!!”