Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

somepartsareme posted:

But... Everybody on the source is seven times rejoined, not just us. I assumed it just kind of happens during a rejoining, not that everybody has to find a piece of their soul lying on the ground. Also, there are only six elemental crystals.

I don't agree with the first half of this at all, because There is no way that amaurot civilization had enough people left in it, after the sacrifices, to equal 1 soul per current existing people. The majority of souls in existence do not trace back to then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

I don't agree with the first half of this at all, because There is no way that amaurot civilization had enough people left in it, after the sacrifices, to equal 1 soul per current existing people. The majority of souls in existence do not trace back to then

I want to say It's only the ones with the Echo that trace back and merge. Might also explain how Zenos is so powerful. That machine from the Stormblood MSQ might have literally been ripping some of those combined shards out of people with the Echo, which are then transferred to whoever's on the other end.

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 11, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like I get the idea. But why would a random voidsent you fight at like level 5 have a crystal containing one of your alternate selves from another dimension. Why would Titan or any other primal? It feels like looking for a complex explanation for something that doesn't really need it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Moenbryda!
Minfillia!

:catstare:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tashilicious posted:

Amaurot wasn't the only place in the world pre-sundering. It's kind of fuzzy how it's all supposed to work, but I think we're still supposed to believe that everybody on the source is getting closer to pre-sundering after each rejoining.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like I get the idea. But why would a random voidsent you fight at like level 5 have a crystal containing one of your alternate selves from another dimension. Why would Titan or any other primal? It feels like looking for a complex explanation for something that doesn't really need it.

Story's got to start somewhere? There's also some deep end wild theorycrafting that the player character is the 14th council member of Amaurot that defected and possibly summoned Hydaelyn. You're her champion because you summoned her, and was the first to be tempered. Hydaelyn knows the rejoining is coming and she's not strong enough to stop it, so she's trying to restore the one entity that was willing to take a stand against Zodiark in the first place. Also, Elidibus is unaware of who the player really is, and is unintentionally drawing your other shards together, like he did with Ardbert and possibly Unukalhai. Please, do summon some more Warriors of Light to fight us. Making our brights brighter, buddy. We're at 8 after the ShB MSQ, maybe 9 at the end of ShB if Elidibus gifts us another set of WoLs to fight and merge with, Unu or the shard associated with his team would be 10. 4 unaccounted shards.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 11, 2019

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Varance posted:

There's also some deep end wild theorycrafting

This is way more supported by the text than the other thing

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cabbit posted:

I'm not sure if the best practice here is to spoil the person on something two expansions in advance for a question that can be satisfactorily answered with Midgardsormr shut down your connection with Big Mama Crystal to make you prove yourself.

This is the post that matters to the original person who asked the question, answering someone still in ARR main quest with Shadowbringer spoilers is pretty drat silly. They either get spoiled or still don't have an answer, not exactly optimal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Varance, your posts are stupid.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

Amaurot wasn't the only place in the world pre-sundering. It's kind of fuzzy how it's all supposed to work, but I think we're still supposed to believe that everybody on the source is getting closer to pre-sundering after each rejoining.

It's pretty obvious from ShB crafting. Notice how when we stuck to HQ Source materials the highest we could ever get at the start of synthesis was 15%? Now we're combining items from the Source and the First and the starting HQ chance is much higher. And synthesis itself is just a pale imitation of what people were capable of pre-sundering, imagine what we could do with materials from all of the shards.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

I'm not sure what just happened in the MSQ, it's years behind but I know I'm not the only one playing through MSQ for the first time

So wait, I'm not the warrior of light anymore? Did Midgardsormr just sever my link to Hydaelyn or did he just straight up murder her? that whole "all the crystals blink out" bit was a tad concerning in its ambiguity

To answer this with ARR info

He just severed the direct connection because he thinks we are draining her, and are not worthy of her blessign because the blessing is the only thing that makes us special. And is willing to hang around to see if we prove him wrong

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

super sweet best pal posted:

It's pretty obvious from ShB crafting. Notice how when we stuck to HQ Source materials the highest we could ever get at the start of synthesis was 15%? Now we're combining items from the Source and the First and the starting HQ chance is much higher. And synthesis itself is just a pale imitation of what people were capable of pre-sundering, imagine what we could do with materials from all of the shards.

What if the materials are all just HQ materials from the First with no items from the Source?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

super sweet best pal posted:

We wanted theory crafting, not crafting theory :haw:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

What if the materials are all just HQ materials from the First with no items from the Source?

:thunk:

Well, we're from the source. I guess it does kind of break down but it's really thematic while it works

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Mordiceius posted:

Why are villagers on the first (who are incapable of jumping between worlds) handing out coffers containing gear that require materials from the source?!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Krabboss posted:

Why are villagers on the first (who are incapable of jumping between worlds) handing out coffers containing gear that require materials from the source?!

That's an even better question. Just how are they making these things when things like generic Source ore and bird feathers can't be harvested on the First?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tithin posted:

I'm not sure what just happened in the MSQ, it's years behind but I know I'm not the only one playing through MSQ for the first time

So wait, I'm not the warrior of light anymore? Did Midgardsormr just sever my link to Hydaelyn or did he just straight up murder her? that whole "all the crystals blink out" bit was a tad concerning in its ambiguity

Unfortunately, the EN localization is too flowery for its own good. Going to the JP script, we can see that:

* Midgardsormr and Hydelyn are well-acquainted with eachother, and even appear to be on equal terms with eachother.
* Death does not appear to affect Midgardsormr the way that it does other things.
* Hydelyn's is under some major hurt keeping you buffed all this time.
* Hydelyn cuts a deal with Midgardsormr: Watch over the sprout WoL, and you can suck down a bunch of aether from my blessing and/or leech it from the WoL.
* Midgardsormr is unconvinced of your actual worthiness, so on top of all that, and making himself a new body out of the consumed aether, he caps you off from Hydelyn. If you're worthy, you'll start powering your plot armor by yourself, instead of relying on crystalmom's flagging battery.
* So Mini-gardsormr's gonna watch, and you'll have to keep playing to find out the consequences.

Varance posted:

That's a spoiler that won't be fully answered until the end of Shadowbringers.

Massive spoiler, don't click until you've finished ShB MSQ: Without getting to far into the why, your player character predates Hydaelyn and was tempered/split into 14 souls during the sundering. The crystals are representative of WoL's other selves from the aether-flooded shards destroyed in past calamities. Middy manages to lock them away for a bit.

That's not even remotely close, my dude.

edit: Oh gently caress, there was an entire other page and a half of posts. ==;

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

somepartsareme posted:

This is way more supported by the text than the other thing

The fact that the person you resemble's gender changes based on the WoL makes it pretty much set it stone at this point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

So got dang tiny. I've pretty much caught up with my friend now, goon guild's on Excalibur, right? I'll try to make a dude on that then one day soon.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Related ShB spoilers:there were definitely regular people about before the sundering. They were the ones that developed after the Amaurot sacrificed a majority of their population to both stop the apocalypse and then fix the world. Even beyond all the other evidence, it's why the first and the source and probably all the other shards have basically the same races. It was only split 10,000 years ago, they're still physically very similar it's just the culture that has diverged. Those souls are getting rejoined too, it's just that the Amaurotine souls were much more powerful to begin with. The Amaurot who were sundered died like the other mortals and got put back into the lifestream, which led to us and presumably 13 other people spread among the shards. We're not special in being rejoined beyond what happens with Ardbert, we just have a much larger potential.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Unfortunately, the EN localization is too flowery for its own good. Going to the JP script, we can see that:

* Midgardsormr and Hydelyn are well-acquainted with eachother, and even appear to be on equal terms with eachother.
* Death does not appear to affect Midgardsormr the way that it does other things.
* Hydelyn's is under some major hurt keeping you buffed all this time.
* Hydelyn cuts a deal with Midgardsormr: Watch over the sprout WoL, and you can suck down a bunch of aether from my blessing and/or leech it from the WoL.
* Midgardsormr is unconvinced of your actual worthiness, so on top of all that, and making himself a new body out of the consumed aether, he caps you off from Hydelyn. If you're worthy, you'll start powering your plot armor by yourself, instead of relying on crystalmom's flagging battery.
* So Mini-gardsormr's gonna watch, and you'll have to keep playing to find out the consequences.

That's not even remotely close, my dude.

edit: Oh gently caress, there was an entire other page and a half of posts. ==;

I actually like the more vague and flowery EN script instead of it being clearly lined out like that. :shrug:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On just what happened at that "near the end of ARR" that only requires knowledge FROM the story to that point: the Warrior of Light has, essentially, two main "Gifts": the Echo, which is an innate power they are born with (that's what makes you have those flashbacks to others' memories and prevents being tempered, among other applications) and the Blessing of Light, granted and powered by Hydaelyn. This is manifest as a "Sword and Shield of Light" - both of those are in play during the Ultima Weapon fight; when you're on the elevator fight and can't hurt it at first, the "Sword" allows you to damage it, and the "Shield" is what protects you from being destroyed by the Ultima spell. The latter severely taxes Hydaelyn's power reserves, which is a reason why Midgardsormr wants to test if you're only a big deal because of the Blessing or if you can actually back it up yourself. That's what he cuts you off from, so Hydaelyn has a chance to recover. You never lose the power of the Echo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rhonne posted:

After seeing everything Emet was capable of, it really makes Lahabrea look like a huge loser.

Lahabrea can't even hold a candle to Emet-Selch. It seems like out of the three "Unsundered", Emet is by far the most powerful while Elibrius and Lahabrea resort to scheming and plots, and body snatching to get things done ( and Lahabrea made the ultimate mistake of confronting you directly at full power, something that Emet himself says was stupid).

It's also interesting because Emet by far seems the most conflicted Ascian on the course of action, and seems to genuinely enjoy talking to you and even expressed remorse when you first go light critical. The optional conversations you have with him show a guy that is trying to justify his reasons and his actions, but his later dialogue about having lived thousands of lifetimes and experiences shows a guy who genuinely tried to move on, but it was never the same. He believes he is the hero of the story, because like you he simply wants to get back to the people he loves.

I think there is some pretty good evidence that his fondness for you also is because you are the split soul of the one he loved, which the friend-shade tells you in the Bureau

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 11, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TulliusCicero posted:

Lahabrea can't even hold a candle to Emet-Selch. It seems like out of the three "Unsundered", Emet is by far the most powerful while Elibrius and Lahabrea resort to scheming and plots, and body snatching to get things done ( and Lahabrea made the ultimate mistake of confronting you directly at full power, something that Emet himself says was stupid).

Emet directly tells you in an optional conversation that body hopping - either creating a new body from raw aether or possessing a body - takes a major toll on an Ascian. Emet's stuck with the Solus body, using Allagan cloning, for thousands of years which has meant he's not had to waste any effort making or possessing new bodies. Lahabrea was constantly body hopping, and that massively drained him of power by the time he faced you. Lahabrea in the full of his power is on the same scope as Emet, but he's a moron so he drastically weakened himself.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder how much of Emet being unable to move on was because he was tempered by Zodiark? I doubt he'd be happy if his followers were able to just settle for things being the way they are now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ok, i'm definitely on the runin to heavensward now

could have sworn i gutted iceheart

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

she got better

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Posting about posting and all, but is there a way we can make the thread read less like a declassified CIA briefing about magical horsebirds? Much of the plot discussion is interesting but having 80% of the the text and images on any given page spoiler tagged kinda sucks. Both for anyone who wants to read the lorewanking, and I imagine even more for anyone who wants to avoid it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

make a separate lore thread and have this be my endgame content recruitment station and the place where i record who was clamped, and when

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

Posting about posting and all, but is there a way we can make the thread read less like a declassified CIA briefing about magical horsebirds? Much of the plot discussion is interesting but having 80% of the the text and images on any given page spoiler tagged kinda sucks. Both for anyone who wants to read the lorewanking, and I imagine even more for anyone who wants to avoid it.

Just give it a few weeks when the majority of people are through the story?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Varance posted:

Important rocks that might have something to do with our relic this expansion, given who we hand it over to.

Important rocks that are used in the weapons, at least the BLM weapon is sporting Nylebert's crystal in the little open recess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Important rocks that are used in the weapons, at least the BLM weapon is sporting Nylebert's crystal in the little open recess.

Lammit's is used as the head-piece for the WHM staff, which blooms into a flower when drawn:

Svensken
May 29, 2010
So I just started* my first char on Excalibur, how do I chat with goons?

*Actually started months ago but there was a new PoE expansion so I wasted my trial month.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah it's likely a problem that'll alleviate itself when we have a shiny raid and balance adjustments and whatever to distract us.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Svensken posted:

*Actually started months ago but there was a new PoE expansion so I wasted my trial month.

Check first post for instructions on accessing the discord and then getting an invite.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

the wol is very bad at killing actual people

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gumball Gumption posted:

I dont think it warrants a whole separate thread but there's definitely a ton of people who won't get to SB2 for a while

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Varance posted:

I want to say It's only the ones with the Echo that trace back and merge. Might also explain how Zenos is so powerful. That machine from the Stormblood MSQ might have literally been ripping some of those combined shards out of people with the Echo, which are then transferred to whoever's on the other end.

That seems like a reasonable explanation for (SB and ShB spoilers) how the Resonant machine works. But if so, wouldn't it's existence be horrifying / revolting to Emet and most of the other Ascians, since it would mean they are frankensteining sundered Amaurotian souls together and leaving some mortal in control of the amalgam?

Or maybe the Echo is specific only to Amaurotians who supported the summoning of Hydaelin and are thus seen as the enemy.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Hey guys I'm going through the post-ARR stuff for the first time and I just killed a moogle to watch it die, I should be getting close to the Heavensward stuff soon, right? Right?

Right?

Also, I know BLU is just for funsies, but how is it supposed to get abilities from dungeons? Just wait until I vastly overlevel it and stomp through and/or get some friends that I totally have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Svensken posted:

Get on goon discord and it gives you explicit instructions on how to get into the goon Free Companies (WoW Guilds, essentially) Excal has 3 and I believe one is specifically newbie-centric.