Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Roberts has infinitely more cover for lovely, partisan decisions than he did in 2012. Overturning ACA then would have been headline news for months. In 2019 it wouldn't even last a week, if that.

ACA being destroyed was clearly Roberts's aim when he ruled that states could destroy it. Now he doesn't have to conceal his partisanship if he feels confident enough in his ability to avoid the spotlight.

Taking away something people haven't gotten yet (the Medicaid expansion) is much much easier than taking away something people are used to having. If guaranteed issue, community rating, the ban on lifetime limits, kids on parents' insurance all went away one morning that would absolutely dominate the headlines, millions and millions of people. It would be a disaster for the GOP because since 2010 they've lied about Obamacare to drive fear so effectively that half of America don't even realize those protections which they depend on are part of Obamacare, meanwhile they haven't needed to come up with their own impossible replacement. The best possible situation for the GOP is to have Obamacare to eternally hate on, but to never actually get rid of it because then their rallying cry disappears and they have to come up with their own solution, which they never will because all of their most effective attacks on Obamacare have come from the left.

I think Roberts knows that, unlike the Tea Party Kool-Aid drinkers, and saved them by breaking Obamacare in such a way that the public would hate it but many people wouldn't realize the GOP was responsible since all the breaking happened at the state level, but not overturning the whole thing and throwing millions off their existing health insurance while making it undeniably obvious which party was responsible.

I am open to the possibility that Roberts drank the Kool-Aid since 2015 and now he's deluded enough to overturn it, so I'll grant you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Midgetskydiver posted:

Roberts has infinitely more cover for lovely, partisan decisions than he did in 2012. Overturning ACA then would have been headline news for months. In 2019 it wouldn't even last a week, if that.

ACA being destroyed was clearly Roberts's aim when he ruled that states could destroy it. Now he doesn't have to conceal his partisanship if he feels confident enough in his ability to avoid the spotlight.

Lol. It would tank the economy and kick 20 million of their insurance plans. It would be the most newsworthy event of Trump's presidency by far.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my biggest problem with warren, just like my biggest problem was with hillary, is that she would lose to trump

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i still hold that just about anybody beats trump in 2020, it's just that for a bunch of people, beating biden would mean Politics Is Fixed And Back To Normal Let's All Stop Caring LOOKING AT YOU BIDEN leading to losses in the 22 midterms and losing to Tom Cotton in 24

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Craig K posted:

i still hold that just about anybody beats trump in 2020, it's just that for a bunch of people, beating biden would mean Politics Is Fixed And Back To Normal Let's All Stop Caring LOOKING AT YOU BIDEN leading to losses in the 22 midterms and losing to Tom Cotton in 24

Is your assumption that the candidates who lose to Trump in polling now will just automatically start to win once the general election season starts?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Craig K posted:

Tom Cotton with a Republican Congress and Judiciary is basically a Game Over screen for America.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1149005809956859904

All the worst people are very clear that Bernie is the only threat to them and yet it's an excuse to say Warren is not as good as Bernie.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Craig K posted:

Who could lose with a message like

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

credit scores are computed however the company computing the scores feels like computing it

she basically wants the credit score companies to include rent payments if they arent, with the idea that since poor people dont have credit cards or mortgages the credit score companies dont bother keeping a file on them so nobody wants to loan them money

its a silly idea because the reason that poor people have bad or no credit scores is because they are poor, which is reflected by them not being able to get a mortgage, or having to carry credit card debt to live. having no money is going to also be reflected in someone's rent or utility bills

Not to worry, she also proposed giving black families down-payment assistance so that they could more easily get mortgages!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

joepinetree posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1149005809956859904

All the worst people are very clear that Bernie is the only threat to them and yet it's an excuse to say Warren is not as good as Bernie.
Yes his enemies are all the worst people, which are the kinds of enemies you want to have

Haim Saban is the guy who said that Keith Ellison was an anti-Semite during the DNC Chair campaign because he is Muslim and supports Palestinian rights

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if credit score included that id be turbo homeless, i was behind on rent and utilities and cellphone bills for like five years and the only reason my credit scroe didnt go into the gutter is i had a lovely car loan i was on time for

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 11, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

credit score should include how much of a cop you are

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1149064820647444483

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Agreed. He also has been rather good at predicting political fallout so far, and knows that killing the ACA would be a disaster for the GOP in the upcoming election.

I really hope you are right, as it looks like this case will make it to him, one way or the other.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Genuinely heartwarming

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shear Modulus posted:

credit scores are computed however the company computing the scores feels like computing it

she basically wants the credit score companies to include rent payments if they arent, with the idea that since poor people dont have credit cards or mortgages the credit score companies dont bother keeping a file on them so nobody wants to loan them money

its a silly idea because the reason that poor people have bad or no credit scores is because they are poor, which is reflected by them not being able to get a mortgage, or having to carry credit card debt to live. having no money is going to also be reflected in someone's rent or utility bills

Yeah the only people this will benefit are weirds like me who tend to buy cheap used vehicles with cash and are usually above water financially.

Grapplejack posted:

Something I keep seeing in this thread is people (mainly harder left) who don't like Warren coming up with a billion excuses as to why they don't like her. Bro you can just say "she says capitalism is good and I disagree" you can just say that and leave it there! You don't need to come up with weird reasons otherwise! Just say that.

Weak bait but what if I say what you said and also add that she can't be trusted any more than a third term Obama could be wrt bringing Hope and Change?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Not taking out loans and not being indebted to a credit card company are active negatives to my credit score.

That alone is enough to tell me the system is loving stupid. Well, that and Equifax losing my personal info despite never giving it to them.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren is a former republican. The only difference being that Warren was a republican until 1996, when she was 46 years old. Not knowing that republicans are evil at 46 years old - not to mention being one - simply makes you unelectable and untrustworthy to me. Lying about your ethnicity for material gain aside.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

tylersayten posted:

Like Hillary Clinton, Elizabeth Warren is a former republican. The only difference being that Warren was a republican until 1996, when she was 46 years old. Not knowing that republicans are evil at 46 years old - not to mention being one - simply makes you unelectable and untrustworthy to me. Lying about your ethnicity for material gain aside.

I mean, Newt loving Gingrich alone!

Edit - ok he came in in 1995 so I guess plausibly that poo poo might've made her defect, but your point still stands

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not like the GOP being pure evil wasn't blatantly obvious even before 1996, so it's a black mark either way.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Unoriginal Name posted:

Not taking out loans and not being indebted to a credit card company are active negatives to my credit score.

That alone is enough to tell me the system is loving stupid. Well, that and Equifax losing my personal info despite never giving it to them.

It's less about your ability to pay a loan and more about the profitability of loaning to you. Carry a balance constantly? $$$ on that interest son.

tylersayten posted:

Pretty much, yeah. It's one thing to be a republican when you're an idiot kid who is surrounded by dumbshits in your family life. But when you're 46? Lmao.

Not that people never change at 46, but believing that a politician did makes you a god drat sucker.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Marxalot posted:

It's less about your ability to pay a loan and more about the profitability of loaning to you. Carry a balance constantly? $$$ on that interest son.

Pretty much, yeah. It's one thing to be a republican when you're an idiot kid who is surrounded by dumbshits in your family life. But when you're 46? Lmao.

Not that people never change at 46, but believing that a politician did makes you a god drat sucker.

She wasn't a politician at the time.

Adults can change, for good or ill.

Here's an example of someone who did the later in a big way. The economics he's preaching here are completely antithetical to his later presidential platform.

https://youtu.be/uJDhS4oUm0M

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I guess he noticed he's drawing about zero African American support

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1149265718816497664

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Here's an example of someone who did the later in a big way. The economics he's preaching here are completely antithetical to his later presidential platform.

People go bad, they rarely go good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Douglass Plan :vomarine:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

People go bad, they rarely go good

Seems to be fifty fifty in my experience.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Charlz Guybon posted:

he could probably put his money where his mouth is by investing in the freedom of african americans to not get murdered by cops in southbend

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

"I didn't leave the Democratic Party...the party left me." :smuggo:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Charlz Guybon posted:

if you can trust someone who herself admits her big come to jesus moment was procedural 'the bush administration was so poorly managed' poo poo after supporting the party for decades of bigotry and hate for anyone not a wealthy straight white dude good on you for being more optimistic than me.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
I actually met a girl who I believe is now a paid Buttigieg staffer. I think it was New Years (2018 maybe?) and somehow politics got brought up and the details are hazy but I remember mentioning something about needing to get more progressive candidates in the dem party or saying that the future of it was more progressive or something like that (or it could've even been policy specific like Medicare for All) and she tried to make some lame argument about how the middle is safer or what have you. And then I laughed and asked her how that worked last time and she had some typical lame excuse that showed she learned absolutely nothing from 2016.

I totally forgot about that interaction until my buddy (same buddy/current roommate who I got into an argument with after he told me Ben Shapiro is really smart and it's hard to argue against his logic) told me she was working for him likely because he was the only one willing to pay her. Can't say I'm terribly shocked.

TrixR4kids fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 11, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Technically, busing didn't work all that well either. It was too limited - white families simply fled districts with significant black populations, and migrated to suburbs in mostly-white districts. Redlining and other housing segregation tactics, as well as economic disparities between racial groups, effectively prevented black families from following them.

Since desegregation plans rarely crossed district boundaries, and the Supreme Court held that they couldn't be forced to do so, busing was essentially rendered moot by white flight.

Don't forget creating private schools in the cases where they couldn't/didn't want to move. They'd also flock to Catholic schools. Growing up my Catholic school in Flint was like 25% non-Catholic because it was the only private high school for thirty miles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

Has there ever been an "investment in freedom" that wasn't total horeshit trying to fly under the radar via buzzwords?

I'm pretty sure every time we've invested in freedom the only dividend has been repression and death.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol. It would tank the economy and kick 20 million of their insurance plans. It would be the most newsworthy event of Trump's presidency by far.

This. Trump's base are well off Gen-X and boomers in the suburbs, and they still support Trump to the last man and woman because he hasn't really touched their standard of living at all. Killing Obamacare could massively disrupt that if their kids lose insurance (well maybe not, they give no shits about their children) and they all lose their health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. They probably still won't vote democrat, but they will probably stay home.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Tibalt posted:

Your credit score should be nationalized, not a service that you're charged for by one of three random organizations.

Edit: Remember when Equifax had that massive data breach affecting like 150 million people?

bUt wHaT aBoUt tHe sOciAL cReDiT sCoReS iN cHiNa??

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What would be the effect on the economy if Bernie wiped out all consumer credit card debt ?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Punk da Bundo posted:

What would be the effect on the economy if Bernie wiped out all consumer credit card debt ?

By what method. If the government assumed the debt and paid it off, probably not that bad. If he just declares "THERE IS NO LONGER CREDIT CARD DEBT" then it would probably explode the economy

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

By what method. If the government assumed the debt and paid it off, probably not that bad. If he just declares "THERE IS NO LONGER CREDIT CARD DEBT" then it would probably explode the economy

Well since he said he could wipe out student loan debt , what other forms of debt could he wipe out ? I can’t imagine how much that would free Americans to get their credit card debts wiped out .

Or just wipe out every bodies medical debt

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Punk da Bundo posted:

Well since he said he could wipe out student loan debt , what other forms of debt could he wipe out ? I can’t imagine how much that would free Americans to get their credit card debts wiped out .

Student loan debt is much easier because the government already owns so much of it. The government just quits trying to get repayment and zeroes the account, which is a big spend for the government but the difference is that the government wouldn't then go out of business.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Punk da Bundo posted:

This is the option that I would be most excited for, and I'm surprised it's not talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Mike the TV posted:

This is the option that I would be most excited for, and I'm surprised it's not talked about.

Bernie's lack of interest in medical debt erasure is easily explainable -- this debt is primarily an issue for the elderly and women, who do not support Bernie. Contrast that with student debt erasure, which is mostly an issue for the youth. Bernie's positions dont come from a moral or ideological center --- they are simply cold, mercenary exchanges