Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Small entrees are great because it means you can get hosed up on dessert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dazerbeams posted:

I don't think steak would ever make an appearance as an appetizer.

i've had it as a starter in italy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

The problem from what I've gathered (and I didn't know this until now) is it seems "entree" in cheap chain restaurants in the States means "main course." In France and the rest of the world, it means "appetizer." I'm guessing this restaurant was sufficiently posh that they use the word "entree" correctly, and this fat gently caress didn't realise that.

literally nowhere in the US calls appetizers entrees, this restaurant just served smaller main courses. it sounds like he got a fancy 6-8oz steak, which is a main course. It doesn't make etymological sense but my dude have you seen the rest of the English language

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

guys in America we call the main course the entree

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Whorelord posted:

i've had it as a starter in italy

yeah there's tons of apps that use steak as an ingredient, and you can even get small portions of steak to taste as a pre-main course. arguably this is a better use of steak than trying to pack more than a pound of red meat into your intestine. heck you can even get steak on a salad

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Heck, back in the 90s I remember reading the Weekly World News (that fake as Hell 'tabloid' with Bat Boy and such) and their Ed Anger bit had this diatribe about taking his wife to a 'frou-frou' French restaurant and the portion sizes were so small and so expensive that his wife was crying and he walked out in anger. They stopped by KFC on the way home for a 'real' meal.

That column was intentionally a parody of a vitriolic right-wing 'Murican moron.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Steak as a starter is perfectly normal. Think two or three very small cross section slices, possibly with a drizzle of sauce. Gnocchi, however, I absolutely can't see being served as a starter, which makes me think they did get main courses.
Steak works better as a starter imo anyway. If you're getting steak it should be a fancy and well prepared thing you appreciate for the taste. If you're just eating it to get full you may as well just have generic beef

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*resturaunt serves a reasonably-sized dish*

american: this is fraud

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

literally nowhere in the US calls appetizers entrees, this restaurant just served smaller main courses. it sounds like he got a fancy 6-8oz steak, which is a main course. It doesn't make etymological sense but my dude have you seen the rest of the English language

Christ, I don't know then. I'm trying to make sense of what an idiot thought a word borrowed from another language and changed to mean almost the exact opposite was supposed to mean, in a restaurant that is clearly far fancier than the idiot is used to. With the amount of language mangling going on, he might have been trying to order a loving ice cream sundae.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think fat guy was actually in a fancy restaurant anyway. it was probably just some trendy poo poo with chalkboards on the walls and reclaimed wood everywhere

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think fat guy was actually in a fancy restaurant anyway. it was probably just some trendy poo poo with chalkboards on the walls and reclaimed wood everywhere

Yeah, $60 for dinner for two all in isn't like weird French fancy tier

He's used to paying $12 for a bottomless bucket of slop, or going to somewhere Maggiano's where they give you a full meal plus and entire separate take-home meal for less than $20. I really, really doubt a $15-20 a plate place was using a (for America) esoteric definition of "entree" that threw him off and also that at no point did anyone explain this to him if it were true.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

anyway enjoy some really broken people

https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1149306091110576129

quote:

Deb
Deb told VICE that her mother had always suffered from mental health issues, but it wasn't until recently that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a personality disorder, and PTSD. Deb's parents' belief in QAnon started when her parents decided to get rid of cable TV and start watching YouTube a few years ago.

My mother is in her mid-60s and a Q cult member. It has made dealing with her mental issues that much harder. She had a hard time anyway dealing with the real world, and now the world is so much worse for her because of all the horrible things the cult deals with: devil worship, sex trafficking, children being tortured and eaten or used as sex slaves. It's with tears in her eyes she describes the horrible world we live in now and frustration that I don't believe her.

I've tried and tried to show her facts, only to have fake news thrown in my face. How do you disprove anything when everything that's different from what the Q cult says is considered fake news? I asked her how she could believe someone who doesn't even use his real name. How can you believe someone who has to have everything he says decoded by people you don't know anything about?

Faith was her answer to me. Follow the plan, and you'll see when the mass arrests happen and Trump is the unsung hero that is going to save the world. I'd found it more plausible if she said the aliens are going to land on the White House lawn and take over the United States.

My father follows Q too. He's not as pushy about it as my mother is. He's been doing a lot better now that I've found him a hobby. Not being on YouTube 24/7 has also helped.

It's the ones with the deep mental disorders that really stick with it.

I can't really spend any time with my mother, because all she'll want to talk about is Q, and I refuse. We used to go swimming at the lake, go shopping, have lunch, or just talk like a mother and daughter should, but that doesn't happen much anymore. I dread talking to her. I avoid her. I love her and care, but this Q cult crap has driven a wedge that is there even when we don't talk about it.

I've done my research. I've watched the videos, and my conclusion is that this person who claims to be Q is nothing more than a LARPer [live-action role player] who couldn't come up with an original thought if they tried. Everything is taken from other conspiracies or straight from movies and TV shows. All this LARPer had to do was add in a little bit of truth, a dash of the occult, a few villains, and a hero—and we have QAnon.

We can't ignore the danger that QAnon poses for the upcoming elections; you better believe each and every one of Q's followers will be voting, including my mother who hasn't voted in an election since Nixon. They'll be voting with information that they got from a LARPer, and in my mind, that's worse than Russian interference.

If I could get my hands on the piece of poo poo that started QAnon, I might end up in jail. This person has made my mother's life sadder, and my relationship almost nonexistent.

more similar stories at the link!

the internet and particularly social media were a mistake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

My wife (40 F) (Our family)has fears of beeing excluded by the neighbors. How can I help her?

i think this husband's suggestion of "well let's have a barbecue ourselves then, or invite the neighbors over for drinks" is perfectly good and i think the wife is mentally 13 years old to be saying they can't have a bbq because one of the neighbors already did it and they'd be copying them.

it doesn't sound like she "loves socializing," as he suggests; it sounds like she's just desperately needy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have huge hangups about getting good value for my dining-out dollar so can kinda see where the guy is coming from if he's not used to "hipster places" but man, just don't make a scene and learn that that sort of place isn't for you.

Also, anyone can get good food at a $30 a tiny-plate restaurant, the real trick is finding amazing food down in the $15 range.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

hahahaha where the gently caress do these people work

Blue collar and (probably) not customer facing. Think warehouses and manufacturing, construction, mining, lumber, materials handling etc. That kind of poo poo is RAMPANT on job sites like that and I used to run into it regularly when I was a for-hire computer toucher.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

brugroffil posted:

anyway enjoy some really broken people

https://twitter.com/MackLamoureux/status/1149306091110576129

more similar stories at the link!

the internet and particularly social media were a mistake

Meh, nothing to worry about. It's not like these people are armed.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Baronjutter posted:

I have huge hangups about getting good value for my dining-out dollar so can kinda see where the guy is coming from if he's not used to "hipster places" but man, just don't make a scene and learn that that sort of place isn't for you.

Also, anyone can get good food at a $30 a tiny-plate restaurant, the real trick is finding amazing food down in the $15 range.
Good luck getting good food for 15 bucks total at a sit down restaurant. There are solid food truck choices in that range though.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

luxury handset posted:

yeah there's tons of apps that use steak as an ingredient, and you can even get small portions of steak to taste as a pre-main course. arguably this is a better use of steak than trying to pack more than a pound of red meat into your intestine. heck you can even get steak on a salad

this was in bologna, i definitely ate more than a pound of red meat during that meal

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

brugroffil posted:

anyway enjoy some really broken people / Qanon shitfest

her mother had always suffered from mental health issues, but it wasn't until recently that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a personality disorder, and PTSD
you don't say

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This guy is a dingus but if I paid $30 for dinner and was still hungry afterwards I would not be super thrilled.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

^^^ let's be real here, if he even exists, you know that dude is fat as hell

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Xaris posted:

yeah, gently caress this rear end in a top hat. i hope he gets condemned to applebees hell in fat suburbia hell alone for the rest of his life. enjoy those bloomin onions i guess.

$15-$20 for an entree is pretty much normal for a middle-end non-chain restaurant, and if he ever eats anywhere in europe hes gunna die of a heart attack.

certainly a maga chud

I'm certain I've gotten stuck behind this kind of guy at Panda Express. You know, the annoying person who holds up the line because he's micromanaging the poor worker to get the maximum possible portions.

:byodood: "If I'm gonna pay a dollar extra for walnut shrimp you better be getting me a goddamn mountain of shrimp!"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i think it should be legal to strike a man stoutly between the shoulders and head if he is being a dunce or otherwise menace to society. How else can we keep the proletariat in their correct, servile positions?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

^^^ let's be real here, if he even exists, you know that dude is fat as hell

Yeah, the only place where a normal person will be legitimately hungry after a $30 meal (as in still unsatisfied at the restaurant, not feeling hungry 2 hours later) is an extremely expensive place where $30 gets you a few ounces of something very high quality. Like Morimoto in Vegas has sushi as high as $7-10 a piece, so $30 of sushi there is basically a small plate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

If you want a big honkin' platter of food they probably have something on the menu to accomodate, the key might be to not order the suspiciously cheap steak of an exotic animal

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

bringing my portable calorimeter to every restaurant i visit. i order two of the same meal and burn one off to determine whether it is worth my time. if it isn't at least 2,500 calories, i refuse to pay for either dish

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

quote:

My girlfriend has some large scars along the side of her face, and she's had them for as long as I've known her, as well as openly telling me how she got them and whatnot. Despite this openness, she has severe image issues related to them, I personally think they're cute and I like to include her whole body during sexual activities/make outs like stroking and kissing her cheek/neck. 

She seems scared whenever I go near them and I don't understand why, and she doesn't help me understand why. 

Can someone help me understand what these issues stem from?(probably people who have been through the same experiences) and how I could try and help if there's any way.

I onow this is a few pages back but this thread moves fast. As someone who is in a similar position I understand where this girl is coming from. Even though I'm open about where my facial scars come from and joke about it I'm still quite self conscious about them. They are not as noticable as they once were but some people, especially children, still stare. I try to avoid getting my face too close to others and feel anxiety when people kiss me on that cheek even when its friends and family that have known me for years. This is before we get into the fact the inside of my mouth is different then everone else's and I am incredibly self conscious about kissing.

Having facial scars is also something you just can't "get over." Every time she looks in the mirror she is going to be reminded of whatever caused it.

I wish I had some advice for this guy that isn't "Be patient and keep on doing what you're doing" but that's really about it. Just keep letting her know you like them and showing you aren't scared of touching them. He'll need to accept too that he'll never understand no matter how hard she tries to explain. He's honestly doing a good job.

I also understand as a man its different than if I was a woman. Either way it sucks but those were the cards we were dealt. I just hope she is strong enough to deal with it.

Edit: How he treats her scars when out in public is important too. I had an rear end in a top hat friend that I don't talk to anymore that would always bring my scars up when meeting new people. My family does this sometimes too. It feels like they are bragging about your scars and its loving weird. If he is doing that gently caress him and she needs to leave him.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 11, 2019

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

AITA For telling my girlfriends 11 year old brother that I would pay for his college if he stays in school and gets good grades, even though I don't have the money right now?

quote:

My girlfriend of 5 months has a little brother who has been consistently truant, skipping school and not turning in assignments as well as just having poor grades overrall and starting fights/acting up, ect.

It's gotten so bad that her parents have started arguing about it profusely, making my girlfriend stress and panic about her family life.

I wanted to sort of resolve this and lead it in the right direction. I have a decent job right now as a welder and I have alot of money saved up. Not like bill gates obviously but I am known as a wealthier guy compared to others.

I sit down with my gfs little brother, who basicslly tells me that there is no point to school as he will never amount to anything (his family is poor, no education).

To motivate him, I told him that if he graduates high school in the future, I'll pay for him to go to college and buy him a car. He believes me as he knows i am considered wealthier and he doesnt know how much college really costs.

I obviously can't afford that right now, but my intent is that he'll stay in school long enough to graduate and then get a scholarship.

His mom and aunt are angry at me for making a promise I couldn't keep, though the boy hasn't missed a day of school since I told him. Whose the rear end in a top hat?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I feel self-conscious when people look at the mass of broken blood vessels on my left temple where a vein burst because I was straining too hard while plopping a monster turd

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

i vomit kittens posted:

AITA For telling my girlfriends 11 year old brother that I would pay for his college if he stays in school and gets good grades, even though I don't have the money right now?

Why would you promise to pay for tuition AND a car?? One empty promise at a time dude!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
He's an rear end in a top hat but if he's at all serious community college + a used car would be doable on a union welder's wages.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

I feel self-conscious when people look at the mass of broken blood vessels on my left temple where a vein burst because I was straining too hard while plopping a monster turd

thank u for your service

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He made the empty promises to ensure he's still the "wealthy" guy amongst his peers.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Seven-year welder's an easy six-figure salary so yeah wouldn't be much of a stretch, hell of a commitment for a five-month relationship tho

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

limp_cheese posted:

I onow this is a few pages back but this thread moves fast. As someone who is in a similar position I understand where this girl is coming from. Even though I'm open about where my facial scars come from and joke about it I'm still quite self conscious about them. They are not as noticable as they once were but some people, especially children, still stare. I try to avoid getting my face too close to others and feel anxiety when people kiss me on that cheek even when its friends and family that have known me for years. This is before we get into the fact the inside of my mouth is different then everone else's and I am incredibly self conscious about kissing.

Having facial scars is also something you just can't "get over." Every time she looks in the mirror she is going to be reminded of whatever caused it.

I wish I had some advice for this guy that isn't "Be patient and keep on doing what you're doing" but that's really about it. Just keep letting her know you like them and showing you aren't scared of touching them. He'll need to accept too that he'll never understand no matter how hard she tries to explain. He's honestly doing a good job.

I also understand as a man its different than if I was a woman. Either way it sucks but those were the cards we were dealt. I just hope she is strong enough to deal with it.

Edit: How he treats her scars when out in public is important too. I had an rear end in a top hat friend that I don't talk to anymore that would always bring my scars up when meeting new people. My family does this sometimes too. It feels like they are bragging about your scars and its loving weird. If he is doing that gently caress him and she needs to leave him.

I had reconstructive surgery on my face and even though my family says they can't see them, the scars on my face is all I see when I look in the mirror. If you want an honest opinion, ask a kid. My six year old says he can't see them when I have my glasses on.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

zakharov posted:

This guy is a dingus but if I paid $30 for dinner and was still hungry afterwards I would not be super thrilled.
He doesn't have to be thrilled about it, he just doesn't need to humiliate his girlfriend by causing a huge scene at the restaurant and then, still unsatisfied, humiliate her again by stopping for a McDonald's on the way home. He's entitled to his own taste in food but he's absolutely not entitled to embarrass her over it.

Also, it's $30. If your partner enjoying their evening isn't worth $30 to you then you're an rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

Yeah, $60 for dinner for two all in isn't like weird French fancy tier

haha i hadn't considered this dude probably lives in the suburbs where it's viable to advertise $7.99 dinners on tv commericals, and another dimension in which he was completely out of his element was by going to a restaurant downtown with $5+ draft beers and even a regular burrito or something will run you ten bucks

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

He doesn't have to be thrilled about it, he just doesn't need to humiliate his girlfriend by causing a huge scene at the restaurant and then, still unsatisfied, humiliate her again by stopping for a McDonald's on the way home. He's entitled to his own taste in food but he's absolutely not entitled to embarrass her over it.

Also, it's $30. If your partner enjoying their evening isn't worth $30 to you then you're an rear end in a top hat.

I strongly agree, thus why I called him a dingus.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I had reconstructive surgery on my face and even though my family says they can't see them, the scars on my face is all I see when I look in the mirror. If you want an honest opinion, ask a kid. My six year old says he can't see them when I have my glasses on.

My 6 year old niece doesn't notice them but I have had random kids point and ask their parents what happened to that man's face.

At the same rime I've had to point out scars that people have known me for 10 years never noticed. Having facial scars is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

Also, before anyone chimes in with this, SHE IS NOT DEPRESSED

How many of these have this exact phrase? It's always wrong