Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iospace posted:

Got some more angles?

If I did, I’d be over in the corner, by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Found this earlier and it ownz, 1:24 LEGO cars: https://www.instagram.com/sp_lineup/

Related (not the same guy):

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 6, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=138179

When you need a truck but all you got is a trailer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Imagine the effort moving the steering wheels if it didn't have any power assistance :stare:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
What's Ackerman Angle, precious?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Terrible Robot posted:

What's Ackerman Angle, precious?

Turntable steering actually achieves a no-scrub turn way better than any IFS setup, it's precisely what Ackerman geometry is trying to emulate.

OK that image has lovely transparency but hopefully you see what I mean. The only issue is that the dual rear axles will scrub, but that's an issue on conventional-steered trucks too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My brain is loving broken because i kept reading that as turnt-able, as in able to get turnt.

good luck ever reading the word turntable again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A ton of scrub radius makes it easier to turn at slow speed because the tire can just roll instead of having to twist.

I can see there being some issues with stability at higher speeds, but I think I remember reading somewhere that a truck tire has quite a bit of self-aligning force from pneumatic trail so maybe it would be fine.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Powershift posted:

My brain is loving broken because i kept reading that as turnt-able, as in able to get turnt.

I'm totally naming my DJ decks turnt-ables from now on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm changing my DJ name to DJ TURNTable so nobody can ever google me

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Tangentially automotive related: I have a big spool of safety wire left over from when I owned a KTM super Moto and this baffle on a bird feeder makes a lot of noise when we get high wind.

I think it's Ready To Race now.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Powershift posted:

Two turnt-ables & some axle scruuubbb

Dagen H posted:

Related (not the same guy):

I'll always have the opinion that the Aztek was a good idea with poor design/implementation

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Fender Anarchist posted:

Turntable steering actually achieves a no-scrub turn way better than any IFS setup, it's precisely what Ackerman geometry is trying to emulate.

OK that image has lovely transparency but hopefully you see what I mean. The only issue is that the dual rear axles will scrub, but that's an issue on conventional-steered trucks too.

neat

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MetaJew posted:

Tangentially automotive related: I have a big spool of safety wire left over from when I owned a KTM super Moto and this baffle on a bird feeder makes a lot of noise when we get high wind.

I think it's Ready To Race now.

When you have a spool of safety wire and wire pliers, every problem starts to look like a trifecta of neatly torqued and drilled bolts.

It is known.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Two turnt-ables & some axle scruuubbb

I'll always have the opinion that the Aztek was a good idea with poor design/implementation

Well, it was a GM, so that's a given. Not as much as, say Chrysler, but still...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My next little project: getting this barn find up and running

And of course the first thing I touch breaks lol.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Oh my!
Thread please!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Have to ask, do you do the newman diff replacement? And the Hill's engineering bearings on it?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine the first step is putting the steering wheel back where it should be.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Finger Prince posted:

Oh my!
Thread please!

:justpost:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WITNESS!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wonder Woman retired and bought an RV?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finger Prince posted:

Wonder Woman retired and bought an RV?

I laughed.
That looks like it would be entertaining. Don’t run into anything, though. (Not that they have a whole lot more crash protection for the drive when there’s a body on it. )

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I laughed.
That looks like it would be entertaining. Don’t run into anything, though. (Not that they have a whole lot more crash protection for the drive when there’s a body on it. )

Crash into whatever, you'll be thrown free to safety.

Just don't hit an large bumps, or you'll be thrown free to safety.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I drive a Transit for work, and that thing will one wheel peel when empty at the slightest hint of a corner in the dry.

I can only imagine how loving scary this would be to drive, but I kinda want to find out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I remember there being a short article about those bodyless chassis runners some years ago. Something about moving them from plant to plant in Mexico

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Have to ask, do you do the newman diff replacement? And the Hill's engineering bearings on it?

To be perfectly honest I don't know if that's something we'd do. It's never come up since I've been here and I imagine it's unlikely ever to. Most of the cars that we see of this vintage are regularly serviced and rarely driven. It's probably been a long time since anyone's seen any diff failures and it would be a tall order to try to sell it as preventive maintenance

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Puddin posted:

I drive a Transit for work, and that thing will one wheel peel when empty at the slightest hint of a corner in the dry.

I can only imagine how loving scary this would be to drive, but I kinda want to find out.

That's a pusher, if you bounce off the brakes you might get it to wheelie.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Seems odd for lotus to get into the RV market.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

fridge corn posted:

Barn Find Testarossa would be a good username.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's like a modern mighty boy

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E-saw those today. Loved that van.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 11, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The next Mad Max should have a lake drill rig converted into some sort of :killdozer:-like abomination.

Twenty-five tons, top speed of around 2.4km/h, effectively unstoppable by either terrain or obstables.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

The next Mad Max should have a lake drill rig converted into some sort of :killdozer:-like abomination.

Twenty-five tons, top speed of around 2.4km/h, effectively unstoppable by either terrain or obstables.

How much torque on the rotation head?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's aircore so it's not super high, I think on the order of 5k Nm. Once you get into the fresh rock that's end of hole.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

How much torque on the rotation head?

You don't want too much, it can be extremely sensitive and prone to irritation. Lubrication is key to a successful drilling operation.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dagen H posted:

Barn Find Testarossa would be a good username.

Makes too much sense. Something like Barn Find Elantra or Barn Find Cruze would be better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

It's aircore so it's not super high, I think on the order of 5k Nm. Once you get into the fresh rock that's end of hole.

Wow! For a machine that size thats...... Not a lot. I converted that to ftlbs (freedom units that we still occasionally use in canuckistan) and thats about 3700 ft lbs. The drill I run is just about 3300. Its tiny in comparison to that one. But yeah, if you're coring and constantly flushing the hole with air or water, you don't need as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

You don't want too much, it can be extremely sensitive and prone to irritation. Lubrication is key to a successful drilling operation.

You're tellin' me